home-theater subwoofer build - rhythmik?

well, i've heard good things. and my next plan is a 1500/1501 build (by year end hopefully(if you can wait that long.. i'll tell you how it goes) :)

well, i've heard good things. and my next plan is a 1500/1501 build (by year end hopefully(if you can wait that long.. i'll tell you how it goes) :)

oops! - kapvin - i start on nov23rd - this year

i have heard only good things about this kit. I was seriously considering this for my own diy project. iirc the servo amp wattage was about 375w and i wanted more due to large room size. so if you are in a huge room and are going to be needing huge spl, look elsewhere.

i have heard only good things about this kit. I was seriously considering this for my own diy project. iirc the servo amp wattage was about 375w and i wanted more due to large room size. so if you are in a huge room and are going to be needing huge spl, look elsewhere.

hi doors666 -

here is a picture of the room - not big- ( look at post no. 413)

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/4250-all-speakers-i-made-suri-42.html

so-

for this room - do you think it would swing it?

regds suri

what a beautiful floor!! :clapping:

i've never been ever entirely sure about the absolute correlation between power and spl.. given that driver efficiency plays so much more a role in determining the spl you'll get.. and of course the 3db increase that doubling power gives is just about noticeable..

having said that.. there is an spl versus frequency graph on the website - it's for the older drivers but a db or 2 difference that the newer drivers bring may not be too noticeable.

Imho unless you listen really really loud, the 12" should do you..

given that it's a servo (and therefore "corrects" response) you could increase bottom end spl by increasing Vb in sealed alignment

I have 450sq ft L shaped listening room, which open corridors leading off it.. the place sucks away bass.. so I think I need the 15" :)

I was thinking of building a non traditional sub - using sofa/ under sofa space for the cabinet volume. May be you guys can build on such a concept.

I would prefer a Transmission Line sub for a home theater as they can be much more efficient at ultra low frequencies than a closed or ported system.

If you fancy building one have a look at Visaton TL-SUB 30. This beast will give you 114db at 20Hz! Despite the size, the construction looks straightforward and it does not require any damping or stuffing. Here is the link to a build.

For curious eyes, one pretty pic taken from here
tl-sub.jpg

Regds...

suri, don't you already have a transmission line sub?

hi psychotropic,

yes. i have a transmission line sub to cover the bases for my two-channel (stereo) system-

this sub is for the wife's home-theater -

hehehe! -

so that we can live separate lives under one roof!:lol:

regds suri

Good luck on your sub. From all accounts, it appears to be an exceptional one. Since this one's purely for HT, how about a ported design? There's a Rythmik sub possibly very far into my future...

Suri

What does this cost?

You could also pick up a Shiva driver with a plate amp from one of many sources and build a decent affordable sub.

George

here's another good deal.

GR Research 12" sub (two of them) and a SA-1 Plate amp for sale for 280$
1 sub and a plate amp for sale at 200$
check forums at audio circle.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back