Home theatre hunt

Cheers.. Yes.. This time around more chennai FM in the whatsapp group have confirmed availability on Sep 15th (Saturday).. So we hope to be there for the AV Expo as well as mini HFV chennai meet..
I've planned to travel to chennai mainly for this AVExpo. Its going to be my first AVExpo ever. I've been waiting for this.
BTW, I'm based out of Madurai.

@elangoas Could you add me in chennai FM whatsapp group or is it only for chennai FMs ? Coz i couldn't find any FMs from Madurai or South tamilnadu :( Also its very hard to find a good HT store in my city.

I've planned to travel to chennai mainly for this AVExpo. Its going to be my first AVExpo ever. I've been waiting for this.

@elangoas Could you add me in chennai FM whatsapp group or is it only for chennai FMs ? Coz i couldn't find any FMs from Madurai or South tamilnadu :( Also its very hard to find a good HT store in my city.
Welcome mate.Its first time for me too though.

Walkin to Audioholic Home Theater Solutions in Chennai. They are the Authorized Dealer for Q Acoustics, BIC America, Marantz, Denon so you can have a demo out there.

Audioholic Home Theater Solutions

No:40, Nandhini Nagar, Thirumullaivoyal, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600062
098409 03853 https://g.co/kgs/7cjSSL
Thanks for the suggestion mate, will certainly check in there.
Whom to contact there ?

Sure.. Send me your mobile number to me via PM on the forum, will add you to the group..

Yep, but not sure of the date.

Ok fine..

Does the Denon x3400h go well with 4 Ohms speakers ?Speaker I'm looking in is Airmotive T1(nominal impedance 4ohms) or I need to look above it?
Other options in AVR I'm looking in are, Marantz SR 5012 and Pioneer Lx303

Does the Denon x3400h go well with 4 Ohms speakers ?Speaker I'm looking in is Airmotive T1(nominal impedance 4ohms) or I need to look above it?
Other options in AVR I'm looking in are, Marantz SR 5012 and Pioneer Lx303

If Budget permits look at Denon X 4400 . Have u auditioned airmotiv speakers .I have heard its center speaker ,its very good one ,but giving more power it will shine.
Goodluck!!!

If Budget permits look at Denon X 4400 . Have u auditioned airmotiv speakers .I have heard its center speaker ,its very good one ,but giving more power it will shine.
Goodluck!!!
C1 are the centre speaker.I don't think budget would permit me to go for x4400,2400 was the one I was looking initially now it has changed to other higher models:)Between not auditioned(would do it shortly) Emotiva speakers mostly went with reviews.

C1 are the centre speaker.I don't think budget would permit me to go for x4400,2400 was the one I was looking initially now it has changed to other higher models:)Between not auditioned(would do it shortly) Emotiva speakers mostly went with reviews.
4400 stock is over, now 4500 on the way. 2400 also will be replaced by 2500 soon. Due to dollar rate hike, prices of all gears are going up 10-15% so bad times for us AV enthusiasts

4400 stock is over, now 4500 on the way. 2400 also will be replaced by 2500 soon. Due to dollar rate hike, prices of all gears are going up 10-15% so bad times for us AV enthusiasts
LOL ,Best thing is to get it from overseas.$ should come down at some point but not drastically.

You save money but loose peace of mind. As long as it works well you count every penny you spent. What if it stops working will you travel overseas for fixing it. If you don't worry on those part you should go on with Grey market or overseas in fact both are same considered in India.
Agree with whats you said sir.But from reading various sources service level in India is really poor, especially after sales which need to brought in level with overseas.

Official imports how do that justify on a grey product.
Not sure I understand the question. Plus peace of mind to me is knowing I got the equipment at a price that's competitive with the international market and not "official warranty". Example Marantz changed from xx12 to xx13 so rapidly that I doubt spares will exist. I rather have my equipment looked at by a knowledgeable technician than wait for months on end for official replacement parts to arrive.

Case in point of my air conditioner ( I know it's not av) but I got the lastest and greatest model from Daikin with the module where it can detect where I am in the room and what not 8 months ago and the PCB blew up last month. The geniuses from "Daikin authorized" service replace the PCB with some other random model and which looks similar but half the features on my top of the line ac doesn't work anymore (reason - sir this model is fully imported the head office told us that this board is the replacement). Now Daikin just takes my complaint and doesn't act on it anymore.

Last edited:
Authorized Service center can't service them you need to escalate in their chain of command until your issue is resolved. That is why you pay the amount quoted in invoice.

How come Grey market products be official imports? There are type of so called Grey market official imports. They give the product to unknown in airport to hand on carry. Other way is in Tamil Nadu it is called as Kuruvi. Kuruvi is a smuggler who smuggle gold to India from other countries. These Kuruvi's use AV Receiver as a medium to smuggle gold. They unscrew the AVR put what stuffs they want to smuggle in and bring it to India remove and reassemble and sale. This is how you get peace of mind buying Grey products. This is a risk you are putting in on your hard earned money. Yes some might argue that they have device running for years without a issue. But there are majority who is not in this forum to express their grief. Below is a recent incident from airport.

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/che...ed-in-madurai-3-held/articleshow/62543113.cms

They are not smuggled. I'm not comfortable talking about that in an open forum. Like I said they are "official imports". You have to do your own background work to figure out if you want to buy them. And let me put it this way, the xgimi h1 sells for 700 usd outside India that's 49000 INR approx now officially in India it's close to 80000 INR. I rather buy one let it fail and just replace it with another. Also keep in mind warranty expires in a year for most av stuff. And there is also the " I need to excalate to get my service for which I paid a premium " like u said in your post and then what if it still doesn't happen? Consumer court? So where is my peace of mind?

Oh and I would like to make it perfectly clear that I'm not discouraging you from buying legit goods. I do purchase from the likes of hifimart cuz their reasonable in their pricing. My post is only in regards to "peace of mind". I find my peace of mind by buying at "appropriate prices" and replacing it when they break unless it's something extremely valuable and rare in which case you won't find it officially in India anyways.

Last edited:
Exactly..

same here..

Pretty much it is.. Have seen it first hand with distributors tag all over it and surprised..
I was quite surprised myself when I saw a blue dart courier guy with official invoices delivering these "official imports" to that shop.

Customer service and service technicians/sales personal's awareness of the companies products are still quite poor in India and its not just limited to AV equipment. Last week I was in the market for a new RO for my aquarium and none of the sellers could tell me if the carbon filters in the RO will adequately remove chlorine from my water supply before it reaches the RO membrane, and with regard with output TDS they say it'll be around 40 irrespective of what my input water TDS is . It made it totally impossible to make an informed decision on any pre manufactured RO. And to make thing worse lot of manufacturer now use silver ion filters and these are germicidal and if silver particles are left in the output water it will kill all the micro organisms in the aquarium.

Having said this I do own 2 Eaton online UPS's and the service from their service partner in Bangalore has been impeccable. I had a power supply failure in one unit (it was outside the warranty period) they still replaced it free of charge. And even went the extra mile by coming home to repair it in the evening so my work hours weren't affected. I think its more to do with the fact that Eaton online UPS's are used by large companies and not so much by home users, as such the service quality is very different.

I apologize to the OP for going totally off topic, but talking about warranty = peace of mind, really pushes my buttons. End of the day you must do what makes you feel good.

What did you finally go for? If you still havent' look for Pioneer elite VSX-LX303. I got it recently. Its all what NR1608 /9 has and with Chomecast audio built in. I am enjoying it with a Qaccoustic speakers. they pair well (details in my sigature). Cheers !

Back