Home Theatre Meet in Mumbai - Interest Check

denom and guys,

i am nursing my right knee. wont be able to make it.

But trying to compensate somewhat by playing Pink Floyd in my empty hose. ( my folks are away for 2 days ). The volume level is almost 11 o clock. :))

Have a blast guys !!

Inshallah !! see you all for the next meet.

regards,
mpw

We are having a rocking time here in cinebells!

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk

Its was a nice day to compare AVR & speakers.No doubt,Klipsch any day better than Jamo(THX).There was hardly any surround effect with Jamo in wall speakers.

In AVR,it was close call between Marantz 5006 & Yamaha 667.Everyone agreed that Yamaha sounded little edgy than marantz,but Denon 1912 was not any where close to both.We missed Onkyo & Pioneer AVR.

Lastly Hari's has made good TL HT speakers.They were small(3.5 in,corrected) full range & still could be configed as large.They were not bright,some may certaily miss details,but overall fatigue free.Hari said that they can be made little bright too.

Thanks for everyone who joined the meet.Special thanks to Pune FM.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Its was a nice day to compare AVR & speakers.No doubt,Klipsch any day better than Jamo(THX).There was hardly any surround effect with Jamo in wall speakers.

In AVR,it was close call between Marantz 5006 & Yamaha 667.Everyone agreed that Yamaha sounded little edgy than marantz,but Denon 1912 was not any where close to both.We missed Onkyo & Pioneer AVR.

Lastly Hari's has made good TL HT speakers.They were small(4in) full range & still could be configed as large.They were not bright,some may certaily miss details,but overall fatigue free.Hari said that they can be made little bright too.

Cheers.

What for spiro??? If you are refering to brajendu, then yes, thanks to him for coming all by himself & representing the missing FM's of pune who did not show up.

As a result we missed out on testing the Onkyo809 AVR, which was most keenly awaited by the attendees.

EDIT: Just learned of why Flash was not able to make it for the meet. It was a medical emergency, hence our best wishes to Flash for a quick recovery. Request all to not blame him now for not coming.

Last edited:
It was a great day today especially for HT lovers and an eye opener of sorts on AVR's for most off us if not all.

It was a tough fight between the Yamaha 667 and the Marantz 5006 and difficult to choose between the 2 but the Marantz did have a slight edge over the Yamaha. The denon 1912 was a dispappointment in this setup. Initially the Marantz did sound very bright but this was traced to an incorrect setup of the treble. Once this was sorted the Marantz was on a different level alltogether.

The Klipsch ruled the roost no doubt leaving the jamo far behind. Their floor standing speakers were outstanding and paired well with the Yamaha as well as the Marantz. The Jamo was no where in the race and we decided to skip it completely for the rest of the session.

The HT TL speaker range by Hari Iyer were easy on the ears. I did personally feel that they lacked detailing, but as Hari mentioned at the start of the session that he could tweak and increase the brightness easily if required. Im sure that would add to the detailing to some extent. The vocals via his center speaker was good. What disappointed was the sub but that was due to the fact that Hari has set it up with a replacement driver and not the actual one as he was running short of time to have the speakers ready for this meet. We look forward to auditioning his sub with the correct driver. All in all a fantastic effort by Hari.

The big disappointment of the day was that we did not get to audition the Marantz 7005 due to lack of time. This was one of the AVR's which everyone was eagerly looking forward to.

Last but not the least a very big thanks to Denom for organizing another successful meet, to Cinebels for hosting us, Spiro for taking us thru the auditioning paces and most importantly to all the Mumbai FM's who attended and specially to Brajendu for, the lone warrior from Pune. What happened to the rest of the Pune team is still a mystry.

Let me thank the following FM's who attended Mumbai's first HT meet.

wlg - thanks for being patient & acomodating our mad demo's, sad that you could not be part of the whole meet, but expect your attendance for future meets :)

coolestone - thanks for getting the Hi-Media & being such a good team player!!! You sure made the demo's a breeze with your constant monitoring & assistance w r t setting up the AVR's

hari & vijay iyer - thanks to the brothers for getting their TL HT speakers & sub. Your speakers surely created a very positive impression on all the FM's. Wish you all the very best for your future endeavours.

rajadeep - thanks for attending & keeping us all in splits. Your mimicked laughter is now recorded in my brain for future chuckles. Wish the the very best for your HT set-up.

shaiju-o-thomas - thanks for coming & being part of the meet, your blu rays were very enjoyable!

pushkar dighe - thanks for coming & being part of the meet. Hope you find the components for your new HT set-up.

darshan joshi - thanks for attending though your an 'injured soldier' at the moment, hope you have a quick recovery! Also you are our official 'mumbai meet photographer', so thanks for taking lotsa pics, hoping to see them soon!!!

santy - thanks for the ride & company + extended subwoofer OVERDOSE!!! You are the bass man!!!

docd - thanks a lot for the ride, subway sandwich & company, hope you enjoyed the HT meet.

spirovious - thanks for being the 'Captain' of the meet! You thoroughly made us enjoy the HT meet. May you now find the last link in your quest of your dream HT set-up & that you COMPLETELY stop taking any more demos! Would love to see that DTS CD of yours banished forever & that you actually start enjoying watching FULL movies/music videos :p

A word of praise for the cinebels crew too, they put up with our tantrums & made us feel @ home resulting in us almost certainly having a solid HT DOSE that will last us for a while:lol:

:clapping:

Last edited:
It was a tough fight between the Yamaha 667 and the Marantz 5006 and difficult to choose between the 2 but the Marantz did have a slight edge over the Yamaha. The denon 1912 was a dispappointment in this setup.

My view on marantz that it was sounding powerful,smooth & not a bit sharper as Yamah667.Still I feel,it has little less sound stage than Yamaha & Denon.One plus from me for Denon is that although it was sounding a lot warm & less detailed,I felt speaker did disappear a bit.The sound was feeling as part of Video & not separate as HT.
With music Yamaha was good with Klipsch towers & outputting more Bass than Marantz with good details.Marantz is surely known as musical AVR though.

spirovious - thanks for being the 'Captain' of the meet! You thoroughly made us enjoy the HT meet. May you now find the last link in your quest of your dream HT set-up & that you COMPLETELY stop taking any more demos! Would love to see that DTS CD of yours banished forever & that you actually start enjoying watching FULL movies/music videos :p

Does that mean no HT meet in future?:rolleyes:
DTS CD is the most enjoyable disc to evaluate a HT system.OR you suggest to get a new one?
:D

Spiro, copy your DTS CD and tracks on to my himedia :) This way the CD wont be there physically but the tracks will still exist for auditioning :p :D

On a serious note, next time we meet I would like to copy the clips and also the Hotel Californa vid.

Few pics
2012-04-15131543.jpg

2012-04-15131610.jpg

2012-04-15131634.jpg

2012-04-15132553.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk

Does that mean no HT meet in future?:rolleyes:
DTS CD is the most enjoyable disc to evaluate a HT system.OR you suggest to get a new one?
:D

More HT meets will happen for sure but hopefully by then you will have the desired set-up in your home :D

As for the DTS disc, make a new one with new movies clips

;)

Lastly Hari's has made good TL HT speakers.They were small(4in) full range & still could be configed as large.They were not bright,some may certaily miss details,but overall fatigue free.Hari said that they can be made little bright too.

Cheers.

Its nice to know that almost everybody liked the compact TL HT speakers and i have noted the concern about detailing required. A big thank you to everybody for their feedback. I will be increasing the detailing by +1dB to give more detail sound now. The driver size is 3.5" full range and not 4" full range as mentioned by Spiro. For those who wanted more information about the system below are the detailed specifications,

Detailed Technical Specifications
Parameters Tower, Center & Surround Speakers
Frequency Response (-6dB) On axis 60Hz to 16KHz
Power Bandwidth (-3dB) 60Hz to 14KHz
Sensitivity (SPL dB/w/m) 90.5
Full Range Driver Size 3.5, Doped Titanium cone
Power Handling (Long Term- RMS Power) 100 Watts
Max Power (Unclipped) 160 Watts
Nominal Impedance 4 ohms
Minimum Impedance 3 ohms
Speaker Type Advanced Transmission Line (Wave Guides)
Colors Any color available on request
Dimensions Tower Height: 27, Width: 4.5, Depth: 4. 5
Dimensions Surround & Center Height: 13, Width: 9, Depth: 4.5 or
Height:13, Width:4.5, Depth:9
Driver Break-In Time 60Hrs with moderate sound pressure

About our speakers design and technology:

TL speakers considers all aspects of speaker system design, all components carefully selected and developed to simulate your music listening experience to that of a live performance. Our 15 years of understanding of four critical components of speaker system design viz enclosure design, harmonic balance, cross-over design and driver selection have given the TL series of speakers the unique and the only type of speakers system ever available. With the TL series of speakers your weakest link of the audio chain Speakers becomes your strongest link.

These speakers are transmission line (wave guides) type enclosures allowing precisely defined imaging, particularly in the low frequency region and vocals; precisely timed bass without echo or reverberant booming allowing excellent transient response and uncompressed dynamics. Guided Wave technology enclosures work on the principle of Harmonics that creates sound wave close to real time music instruments like pipe organs, flute, harmonica etc. Do you ever feel stressed while listening to perfectly tuned real musical instruments? No. Similar is the experience with the Harmony series of speakers, as you will notice the full range driver cone hardly moving even while playing the deepest bass note allowing the perfect tuning of the drivers and the enclosure without any peaking of impedance in the drivers resonance region. The speaker system behaves like a music instrument with all the Harmonics balanced for the entire low, mid and high frequency spectrum.

Hi All,

It was really a great and educating meet. Big thanks to all who made it happen.
For me it was the first time I got such a great opportunity to listen to multiple combinations of AVRs and Speakers at a time. Equally great was meeting all you people.

Thanks all again and hopping we have similar meets soon.

Pushkar

Hi all,
I seem to be the last one to comment on the HT meet. Was busy with work for the last 3 days, just free now for some time. I agree with most of the comments here.
Thanks to spiro for taking charge and leading the way
Thanks to denom for the arrangements and hope to have many more meets
Iam sure the Cinebels staff were glad to see us go finally!
Hari Iyer, if your speakers had a bit more detail, they would be a hit!
santy your photos will remind us of a great day!
One point about the Denon 1912, I am surprised that an AVR which seems to be selling like hot cakes sounded so plain. I have the Denon 1906 and even that sounds better than the 1912.
And finally I think that I dont ever want to see that clip from Kill Bill again!It was enough for a lifetime!:clapping:

Hi all,
One point about the Denon 1912, I am surprised that an AVR which seems to be selling like hot cakes sounded so plain. I have the Denon 1906 and even that sounds better than the 1912.

Proves an all essential point -- Newer does not necessarily mean better.
I still have my 2106 lying around and it still rocks

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back