Home theatre within 95K

TheMost

Hello people,

I would like to buy an home theater within 95K.
My room size is not more than 350 sq ft.
I would like to get the best sounding speakers at that price.
I reside at chennai.

Please suggest an Good AVR to begin with.

I,at present have the following speaker in mind.

Pioneer AJ home theater 5.1 @ 49K
or
Dali Zensor 3.1 + upgrade later

However I haven't auditioned them.Will audition them soon.
Please tell me whatever speakers I should consider.
All I want is Superb clarity, image and sound stage.

Thank you.

I just auditioned the following

Paradigm ct 100
Dali Zensor 5 (2ch)

Paradigm - I really love the surround sound that these speakers produce.But however i was not satisfied with the sub.Then I listened to some music.It sounded nice but i could tell something was missing greatly.I hear the voice and sub but the details didn't some up well.

Dali- I heard it in 2ch mode. I was very much satisfied with the sound quality.

Why do you troll me like this ? :sad:
I meant the maximum possible within my budget :(

My bad i should not have given you a proper sensible recommendation.

did you even see the price of the value 5.1 package? i guess not, may be you should stick to pioneer to paradigm.

Paradigm ct 100
Dali Zensor 5 (2ch)

Paradigm - I really love the surround sound that these speakers produce.But however i was not satisfied with the sub.Then I listened to some music.It sounded nice but i could tell something was missing greatly.I hear the voice and sub but the details didn't some up well.

Paradigm CT100 is a Sat + sub based system primarily for HT purpose... Dali Zensor series on the other hand doubles up for stereo/HT...

If you watch more of movies, consider a sat + Sub based system....

If you want to balance between movies/music, consider BS + Sub based system...

Paradigm ct 100
Dali Zensor 5 (2ch)

If your main purpose is HT rather than music only, then floorstanding may be a overkill. Rather you can go for good sub and satellite for cinema. I have paired Cambridge Audio S30 as sorround with Dali Zensor 7.

Also you need powerful AV receiver to take the full advantage of the floorstanding speakers.

What I can suggest for AVR Denon X1000 will be more than enough if you pair it with any satellite.

For satellite you can audition CA S30, Zensor 1 or Cambridge Audio Minx. But looking to your room size I am doubtful that if Minx can meet your requirement.

For Sub, you can look for Polk Audio. But if you have budget, go for SVS or HSU.

Rest your budget and your preference. :)

It sounded nice but i could tell something was missing greatly.I hear the voice and sub but the details didn't some up well.
fET20k
Well satellites have full range drivers, one driver responsible for playing all the frequencies
Bookshelves and floorstanders usually have a separate tweeter for higher frequencies and a larger driver for low to mid notes

Hence music playback on bookshelves will always be better than satellites. Floorstanders will better bookshelves because they usually have bigger/nore drivers and hence produce better bass and are richer sounding

So if you compare Zensor 5 to sub/sat combo, you will never like the satellites
But the Zensor 5.1 system including a sub and floorstanders would cost close to 1.5 lakhs . If you use Zensor 1 bookshelves instead of Zensor 5, you will still have to pay 1.2 lakhs.

So not exactly apples to oranges

I personally own Zensor 7s in a 2.0 setup and I am super happy with them and will highly recommend them to you - only if you listen to decent amount of music. If your main consumption is movies/video, then you do not need to spend as much. The sub/sat combo will service your needs equally well

Don't get fooled by audiophile myths and brand names.

The single most important part is an AVR with at least Audyssey MultEQ XT room correction. XT32 is out of your budget. I'd say a Marantz SR5009 or Denon equivalent.

All speakers sound the same after running Audyssey. Don't spend more than 20-25k for a pair of book shelfs. The only thing that matters is the power handling capacity (125+ watts is enough). Any speaker in that price range is fine. How it sounds in the showroom is irrelevant. It will sound nothing like that at home.

The only factor that matters in a subwoofer is how low it goes. Unscientific terms like "tight, musical etc." are meaningless nonsense. Choose the one with the lowest frequency at -3 dB. In your budget you'll have to settle for -3 dB @ 35 to 40 Hz. Audyssey will take care of the rest. I think your only choice is Velodyne.

I can't stress the importance of Audyssey enough. It is a far wiser investment than paying for speakers with response curves that the manufacturer thinks sound good, that will sound completely different when placed in your living room.

Thank you very much for everybody's valuable comments.

I auditioned the pioneer AJ Floorstanders.They are pretty good for the price ,But i was not enough with the bass.

My requirement will be music around 70% and movies 30-40%.

Can I get good piece of music if i pair Pioneer FS and a Polk Sub and hear it in 2.1 mode ? Is it possible ?
(my room is less than 300sq ft)

If I go for Zensor fronts then,I should get the center and surrounds also in Zensor right ? I cannot mix brands right ?

Last edited:
I auditioned the pioneer AJ Floorstanders.They are pretty good for the price ,But i was not enough with the bass.

Auditioning speakers is a waste of time unless the system has been calibrated. You have to run the Audyssey calibration on the AVR before comparing speakers. Only then will you know whether they can really produce the level of bass you desire.

Can I get good piece of music if i pair Pioneer FS and a Polk Sub and hear it in 2.1 mode ? Is it possible ?
(my room is less than 300sq ft)

If I go for Zensor fronts then,I should get the center and surrounds also in Zensor right ? I cannot mix brands right ?
If you have a subwoofer, floor standers are not required. The difference will be minor while the subwoofer is active. You can buy another pair of book shelfs for the additional cost of the floor standers.

It's only necessary to match the fronts and centre. The surrounds and sub can be different.

Auditioning speakers is a waste of time unless the system has been calibrated. You have to run the Audyssey calibration on the AVR before comparing speakers. Only then will you know whether they can really produce the level of bass you desire.

If you have a subwoofer, floor standers are not required. The difference will be minor while the subwoofer is active. You can buy another pair of book shelfs for the additional cost of the floor standers.

It's only necessary to match the fronts and centre. The surrounds and sub can be different.

That was very informative.Thank you very much.
Then can i go for Pioneer BS22 for fronts and back as well + a good sub ..
When i do music i can put that to 2.1 mode right ?

Then why do people go for 2.0 ? instead of 2.1 ?

That was very informative.Thank you very much.
Then can i go for Pioneer BS22 for fronts and back as well + a good sub ..
When i do music i can put that to 2.1 mode right ?

Then why do people go for 2.0 ? instead of 2.1 ?
You should always use a subwoofer, even for stereo. The AVR should be set to crossover low frequencies to the subwoofer at all times.

2.0 is an audiophile delusion. 95% of floor standers do not have any output below 40 Hz and have poor output between 40-50 Hz. You should buy a subwoofer with an output of -3 dB at 35 Hz or below. I can only recommend a Velodyne subwoofer in your price range.

All of this is useless with calibration. You have to buy an AVR with at lest Audyssey MultEQ XT. The bass especially will be poor with huge peaks and nulls unless the system is calibrated.

You should always use a subwoofer, even for stereo. The AVR should be set to crossover low frequencies to the subwoofer at all times.

2.0 is an audiophile delusion. 95% of floor standers do not have any output below 40 Hz and have poor output between 40-50 Hz. You should buy a subwoofer with an output of -3 dB at 35 Hz or below. I can only recommend a Velodyne subwoofer in your price range.

All of this is useless with calibration. You have to buy an AVR with at lest Audyssey MultEQ XT. The bass especially will be poor with huge peaks and nulls unless the system is calibrated.

Thank you so much. I will update soon !

Is buying things online safe ?

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/pioneer-aj5235xt-51-andrew-jones/1066608847#ReviewHeader

Snapdeal dealer quotes it at 39K
whereas my local dealer quotes it as 48K !
(That way it is a steal i believe)

Should I take the risk ?
Absolutely do not buy those 5.1 sets! They are almost always garbage, especially the subwoofer. You have to buy a dedicated subwoofer. I recommend these: Impact Series - Subwoofers
This is the cheapest AVR with Audyssey MultEQ XT: http://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/avreceiversht/avrx1100w
Buy any book shelfs for fronts and surrounds and a centre speaker within your remaining budget.

Since you're in Chennai, I recommend you go to Volumate in Mylapore. I buy all my stuff from them. You can demo various subs there.

Last edited:
Absolutely do not buy those 5.1 sets! They are almost always garbage, especially the subwoofer. You have to buy a dedicated subwoofer. I recommend these: Impact Series - Subwoofers
This is the cheapest AVR with Audyssey MultEQ XT: 7.2 Channel Full 4K Ultra HD A/V Receiver with Bluetooth and WIFI
Buy any book shelfs for fronts and surrounds and a centre speaker within your remaining budget.

Since you're in Chennai, I recommend you go to Volumate in Mylapore. I buy all my stuff from them. You can demo various subs there.

You mean to say that the Bookshelf and floor standers are also garbage ?

You mean to say that the Bookshelf and floor standers are also garbage ?

They are not really important beyond how loud they can go. The frequency response will be corrected by Audyssey. Floor standers are also not required. It's better to buy 4x higher quality book shelfs.

However the subwoofer is extremely important and you have to buy a good one. The AVR with MultEQ XT is the most important of all, especially with lower priced speakers and living room environments.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back