Home theatre.

Dinesh Menon

Almost 4 months here, I'm happy to
learn a lot about audio systems from
our audiophile members' interactions.
Still not found a system in my budget.
Are Ahuja audio systems good for home?
Some of their amps.,speakers & subwoofer seems a solid option.
I have shortlisted 3 of them, if some of our members can judge them, I will give the details.They are priced right.
They don't have any advanced audio formats & features.
Sound bars look loaded & affordable,
but not an option for me.
All suggestions welcome.
Looking for that right advice.
Best wishes to all 🙏

I have shortlisted 3 of them, if some of our members can judge them, I will give the details.They are priced right.
They don't have any advanced audio formats & features.
Sound bars look loaded & affordable,
but not an option for me.
All suggestions welcome.
Looking for that right advice.
Best wishes to all 🙏
A better approach - Put out the shortlisted ones & ask for FM's to judge them or give feedback.

Hi Dinesh, do mention your budget to help us help you.
It would be difficult to judge without having some minimum details such as the names of the shortlisted products.

It would be difficult to judge without having some minimum details such as the names of the shortlisted produ

It would be difficult to judge without having some minimum details such as the names of the shortlisted products.
Greetings Sir.
I've doubled the budget (as even the Ahuja combo was going above it)-
Below 100K.
Ahuja High-fidelity combo pack:
•ZXA-500DP Amplifier.
•SUB-300A Subwoofer.
•ASX-912B 2-way speaker.
I had researched & shortlisted them.
Coincidentally a YouTube channel has given a detailed demo of this combo pack recommending for home use & music lovers. I've given the link below.
Please review them 🙏

(
)

Greetings Sir.
I've doubled the budget (as even the Ahuja combo was going above it)-
Below 100K.
Ahuja High-fidelity combo pack:
•ZXA-500DP Amplifier.
•SUB-300A Subwoofer.
•ASX-912B 2-way speaker.
I had researched & shortlisted them.
Coincidentally a YouTube channel has given a detailed demo of this combo pack recommending for home use & music lovers. I've given the link below.
Please review them 🙏

(
)
Dinesh, if your objective is Home theatre and your budget is 1L, the Ahuja combo may not be the right solution for you.

The Ahuja solution is not designed with surround sound in mind and rather, for sound distribution across commercial spaces.

That does not mean it'll sound bad but it's not ideal from more than one perspective - capability, connectivity, flexibility, aesthetics , convenience to name a few.

From the capability perspective, the Amp is not capable of decoding surround formats and is capable of receiving and outputting 2 channels (upto 4 speakers while reproducing 2 channel to be exact) whereas HT needs five. You can add a surround sound processor but would still require two more amps to get up to 5 channels. Therefore, you'll be restricted to only stereo sound. An every level AVR can decode the basic surround sound formats and usually output a minimum of 5 channels plus two channels for LFE (subwoofer). I have also checked the specs of the amp and the SNR and channel separation aren't great, making them not great for stereo either.

Even from the connectivity perspective while being restricted to stereo, the Amp has only RCA and 3.5mm input. This means that you'd have to buy a separate DAC if you want to receive input from your TV through optical. An AVR would be far more ideal in these circumstances as it will have HDMI, Optical, Coaxial etc. A Marantz PM6006, which is a stereo amplifier, is a better bet as it has optical and Coaxial with a built in DAC.

From a flexibility perspective which is not entirely unrelated to connectivity, an AVR will give you numerous avenues to connect multiple systems through the presence of HDMI inputs, Optical, coaxial, RCA, Phono, WiFi etc. And all these systems can be connected at the same time.

Which brings us to convenience. If you have more than one source, connecting your amp to each of them separately every single time becomes a chore and an irritant. A system should be easy and not inconvenient to use. Therefore, instant switching between inputs, which an AVR allows, is a very convenient feature to have. HDMI-CEC control is another very convenient feature through which, the AVR can be controlled through your TV remote including the ability to power up/down along with your TV.

While aesthetics are subjective, I'd wager you'd find systems which are more pleasing to your eye in the same price range.

My two cents, get an entry level AVR, something like the Marantz NR1510, Denon X550BT or Yamaha V4a and pair it with a mini surround system such as the Magnat Moviestar (comes with a sub) or Taga TAV507/ TAV606 (without sub).

Dinesh, if your objective is Home theatre and your budget is 1L, the Ahuja combo may not be the right solution for you.

The Ahuja solution is not designed with surround sound in mind and rather, for sound distribution across commercial spaces.

That does not mean it'll sound bad but it's not ideal from more than one perspective - capability, connectivity, flexibility, aesthetics , convenience to name a few.

From the capability perspective, the Amp is not capable of decoding surround formats and is capable of receiving and outputting 2 channels (upto 4 speakers while reproducing 2 channel to be exact) whereas HT needs five. You can add a surround sound processor but would still require two more amps to get up to 5 channels. Therefore, you'll be restricted to only stereo sound. An every level AVR can decode the basic surround sound formats and usually output a minimum of 5 channels plus two channels for LFE (subwoofer). I have also checked the specs of the amp and the SNR and channel separation aren't great, making them not great for stereo either.

Even from the connectivity perspective while being restricted to stereo, the Amp has only RCA and 3.5mm input. This means that you'd have to buy a separate DAC if you want to receive input from your TV through optical. An AVR would be far more ideal in these circumstances as it will have HDMI, Optical, Coaxial etc. A Marantz PM6006, which is a stereo amplifier, is a better bet as it has optical and Coaxial with a built in DAC.

From a flexibility perspective which is not entirely unrelated to connectivity, an AVR will give you numerous avenues to connect multiple systems through the presence of HDMI inputs, Optical, coaxial, RCA, Phono, WiFi etc. And all these systems can be connected at the same time.

Which brings us to convenience. If you have more than one source, connecting your amp to each of them separately every single time becomes a chore and an irritant. A system should be easy and not inconvenient to use. Therefore, instant switching between inputs, which an AVR allows, is a very convenient feature to have. HDMI-CEC control is another very convenient feature through which, the AVR can be controlled through your TV remote including the ability to power up/down along with your TV.

While aesthetics are subjective, I'd wager you'd find systems which are more pleasing to your eye in the same price range.

My two cents, get an entry level AVR, something like the Marantz NR1510, Denon X550BT or Yamaha V4a and pair it with a mini surround system such as the Magnat Moviestar (comes with a sub) or Taga TAV507/ TAV606 (without sub).
Thanks for your comprehensive guidance Sir. So Ahuja is good as PA system. I checked both Marantz and Denon amps - both made by same group company. I find Marantz PM6007 a class apart.
Even though it's just a stereo amp- costs around 60K. While Denon AVR X550BT costs around 40K.

Thanks for your comprehensive guidance Sir. So Ahuja combo is good as a PA system. I checked all of your suggestions.
(Marantz & Denon are made by same group companies)
•Marantz PM6007- 60K.
•Marantz NR1510 -with great reviews, surprisingly priced so differently on various sites, best offer is 55K.
•Denon X550BT - around 40K.
•Yamaha RX-V4A - fully loaded- 62K.
I find Marantz PM6007 a class apart,
even though just a stereo amp.
(PM6006 has no subwoofer out, if I am right)
Either a 2.1 or a 5.1 -
Marantz seems a better choice.
So now I've to shortlist the speaker combo.
5.1 packs costing around 50K normally have 1-way satellite speakers.
Except Sonodyne mini HT which have
2-way ones.
We can select bigger & better speakers for 2.1 set up.
Home theatre for me is good music.
Can't afford to get lost in the expensive,
ever evolving surround sound formats.
I welcome your expert opinion & suggestions🙏

Thanks for your comprehensive guidance Sir. So Ahuja is good as PA system. I checked both Marantz and Denon amps - both made by same group company. I find Marantz PM6007 a class apart.
Even though it's just a stereo amp- costs around 60K. While Denon AVR X550BT costs around 40K.

Thanks for your comprehensive guidance Sir. So Ahuja combo is good as a PA system. I checked all of your suggestions.
•Marantz PM6007- 60K.
•Marantz NR1510 -with great reviews, surprisingly priced so differently on various sites, best offer is 55K.
Either a 2.1 or a 5.1 -
2-way ones.
Can't afford to get lost in the expensive,
ever evolving surround sound formats.
I welcome your expert opinion & suggestions🙏
Hi Dinesh,

You just missed a Marantz 6007 for 35k odd in the classifieds pre-owned section in excellent condition.
Pls check the classifieds as some good deals can be seen there at times.

Rgs,
Nitin

Last edited:
No.
They are essentially PA systems designed to play loud. Try that inside your house and you are likely to go deaf or get tired of listening to music.
The only commercial application PA system I've heard that actually sounds good in a home are the ones Bose make. Then again, you're not going to get Bose for Ahuja money.

Buy the usual suspects as recommended by many here and you'll be fine.

No.
They are essentially PA systems designed to play loud. Try that inside your house and you are likely to go deaf or get tired of listening to music.
The only commercial application PA system I've heard that actually sounds good in a home are the ones Bose make. Then again, you're not going to get Bose for Ahuja money.

Buy the usual suspects as recommended by many here and you'll be fin

No.

Buy the usual suspects as recommended by many here and you'll be fine.
Now I understood. Thanks Sandeep ji. I will follow our members' suggestions.
I just checked "Bose Lifestyle 600" costing a whopping 262K.
Bose seems secretive about their tech & make. I couldn't gather much from their website.
Marantz/Denon amp suits my purpose
& budget.Only a speaker package has to be selected.🙏

Ha ha. Stick around long enough and you'll realise that "just" stereo amps usually cost more than AVRs.

Also, the PM6007's price is uncharacteristically inflated the last couple of months. It usually hovers around the 35k mark - at least till last November. Probably a demand supply gap.
•Marantz PM6007- 60K.
I have used an NR1509. Very capable though for stereo applications, PM6007 is better. Nevertheless, I've usually found stereo performance from Marantz amps to be better than Denon in my personal experience.
Right.
Either a 2.1 or a 5.1 -
2-way ones.
Check Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 package also which usually goes for around 40-50K.
Likewise. Even a 2.1 system can give a fantastic movie experience if it sounds good.

Ha ha. Stick around long enough and you'll realise that "just" stereo amps usually cost more than AVRs.

Also, the PM6007's price is uncharacteristically inflated the last couple of months. It usually hovers around the 35k mark - at least till last November. Probably a demand supply gap.

I have used an NR1509. Very capable though for stereo applications, PM6007 is better. Nevertheless, I've usually found stereo performance from Marantz amps to be better than Denon in my personal experience.

Right.

Likewise. Even a 2.1 system can give a fantastic movie experience if it sounds good.
DX-2 has high ratings.

Right.

Thanks again for sharing your experience & suggestions.I saw that DX-2 has high ratings but is not available. You are right,
supply chain seems disrupted, shooting up the prices.

Marantz/Denon amp suits my purpose & budget.Only a speaker package has to be selected.🙏
The only situation you'd want to think of Bose or any wall hanging micro cube speaker, is if you have no space at all and you're at a point where your wife/partner will throw you out of the house once you introduce a bunch of black boxes.

I am not averse to Bose or even copy cats of the product. Some situations or households don't allow the bulk of a traditional equipment. A compact loudspeaker system makes sense.

Back