How to Bitstream HD audio from HTPC/Laptop

It looks PC is not bitstreaming perfectly.You can recheck all the steps.
You need to use Bitstream option in Lav filter too.

It looks PC is not bitstreaming perfectly.You can recheck all the steps.
You need to use Bitstream option in Lav filter too.

I am using VLC (as I have always done) since MPCHC is showing no video at all! Does it require any extra codec installation or something like that?

How do I select the LaV Filter in VLC?

Hi friends,

I know that this topic is very old,still I saw that many of our new members find it difficult to Bitstream HD audio from PC/Laptop.
So I thought of writing about some Video players which does this job well and you get those Free.

First you have to check if your Hardware supports HD audio over HDMI.ATI HD series(5***)and above.Nvidia GT 4** and above does support it.
popular Video players are Media Player Classic for Home Cinema(MPCHC), Pot Player,XMBC.I will write about first two as XMBC details you can find in forum elsewhere.

Also you have to change few settings in Windows.

Right click on volume symbol(Right side bottom)and select "Play back device"-

Then on top of window,click Configure Speaker.You get this-

Here you can set to "5.1 or 7.1" according to your speaker setup.

Also select"Set as Default Device"as "AMD HDMI out"

using Media player Classic -

Download MPCHC from here-
Downloads – MPC-HC

You need some filters like LAV filters or FFD show-
LAV Filters 0.60.1 - VideoHelp.com Downloads
Free Download LAV Filters 0.60.1 : LAV Filters are a set of DirectShow filters

ffdshow 1.3.4530 - VideoHelp.com Downloads
You need to install either of it.

Also get Haali media splitter-
Haali Media Splitter 23/06/2013 - VideoHelp.com Downloads

Lets start step by step.
Star MPCHC and go to options (View> Optios)

Then Playback> Output. Here select the correct "Audio Renderer" option.In my case its HD5570,so "Direct sound AMD HDMI Output" selected.
If it doesnt works,set it as "system default".

Then go to Internal filters setting and untick DTS,DD,FLAC,MPEG options and select same in Transform Filters.See the image below how it looks.

Now go to External Filters.Here you need to select Haali Media Splitter,LAV Video decoder and Lav audio decoder by clicking "Add Filter".

Double click Lav audio decoder and select Bitstream option in Lav audio decoder setting like below.

Then LAV video decoder and select correct Hardware acceleration.I have selected "DXVA2(copy back)"due to ATI card.You can select "Nvidia CUVID" if you have nvidia card.
Also tick "Codecs for HW decoding"and select "H.264,VC1,MPEG2" MPEG4 if your card supports.

Also make sure that you select "prefer" option before each filter like below-

Haali splitter is used for MKV files and also help to select different audio streams from source video file.

Thats it.Your MPCHC is ready to Bitstream perfectly.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Potplayer is just similar to set with some tweaks.
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/PotPlayer

Potplayer has edge as it can play 3D perfectly.Also Bluray discs easily.Please follow the images below.
First you have to disable internal processing.
Go to Preferences (F5)> Filter Control and you can see like image below.
Here in Condition,select "Disable with following Conditions"And just below that "MPG1 MPG2 WMV2 WMV3 H264 AVC1 WVC1"in Fourcc.
Also untick use "audio processing Filters"at bottom.Else Potplayer will downmix audio.

Then select filters like MPCHC.Click "Filter Management"at bottom and you can see the window like this-

Click "Add registered Filters" there to select from the list.

Then click "Built-in codecs/DXVA setting" and select necessary options like in image-
Video setting

Like you go to Audio Filter option and again Click
"Built-in codecs(S/PDIF,HDMI)setting".Where you can see audio options.Select like I did-

Also check that main window of each Filter should look like below-

Make sure you select Lav filters in audio video settings here.

Also Audio output option like below-

It should work perfectly now.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally few setting regarding VLC media player which can send Dolby digital and Dts sound as "Raw" to AVR.
Official download of VLC media player, the best Open Source player - VideoLAN

Once you did setting in windows like MPCHC, some more tweaks you need.

Go to tools> preference and select "Audio".Here select "Output module"as "DirectX audio output"
Also tick option "S/PDIF when available".Device option can be "Primary or AMD-HDMI out "

Also got to advance setting by clicking show setting to ALL at left side bottom.Make sure you select "5.1"option in Speaker Configration (DirectX option)as below.

Common Video setting can be like below-

Same in advance settings, select Video output modules options as "DirectX(Direct Draw) video output"-

Now Vlc is ready to stream audio correctly.
If you noticed,we have also learnt to set Video Hardware acceleration.So CPU load should be less now.
Hope this helps you in simple way.Thanks for reading such a long post.Also if I have missed some more settings,please do post in this thread.

Cheers.
All the attached photos are not opening....

Hello dr rocket...at present iam using himedia q5 with kodi and wrapper iam getting dts hd ma in my denon 1911 amp with klipsch speakers, i would like to see the difference in av quality if i use my I5 6th generation 8gb ram HP Laptop as a player.
mdharan.

Thanks dr rocket i got DTS HD MA thro MPC HC setup...but how to get color depth when i project from laptop ? picture is whitish..

Thanks dr rocket i got DTS HD MA thro MPC HC setup...but how to get color depth when i project from laptop ? picture is whitish..
Are you using projector? I have no idea. Maybe you can post in projector related thread

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

could somebody pls guide or provide some pointers to me too? i had tried to follow the OP posted by spiro saab, but got lost after sometime.

using my HTPC, i get only the LPCM signal to my AVR.

the chain of equipment and devices is as follows:

HTPC (through nvidia GTX 750Ti), HDMI to >> AVR (Marantz NR1606)

really need this to work :sad:

Last edited:
could somebody pls guide or provide some pointers to me too? i had tried to follow the OP posted by spiro saab, but got lost after sometime.

What media player are you using?

PotPlayer it's easy, in the Audio Decoder > Built in Codec Settings > Enable Pass Through.

Which media player are you using for playing the hd audio files.???/

oh yes! had forgot to write about that. i use kodi / potplayer / mpchc....mostly kodi though.

Since you are using kodi,then here is the steps to enable hd audio passthrough.

Maintenenace tools - settings-system-audio output - Enable Passthrough is selected.

See that in Windows -sound-settings- Digital audio (HDMI) is choosen as your default playback device.

STEPS as below:

Right-click over the speaker icon on the bottom right hand corner of your Windows taskbar. Select "Playback Devices".

This will bring up the Sound panel and also Digital Audio (HDMI)" it sends the audio from the internal S/PDIF connector to your graphics card. In this example, you would select "Digital Audio (HDMI)" and then press the "Set Default" button to make this your Windows default audio device. The sound options will vary depending on which sound controller your PC is using.

If you are using an NVIDIA GTX 750Ti graphics card with a built in NVIDIA HD audio codec, you will see "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" in the list of playback devices in the Sound properties. If no other audio devices are connected to your PC (i.e. headphones, PC speakers), the "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" will be assigned as the default playback device by Microsoft Windows. If not, select the "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" device and then press the "Set Default" button to apply this change.

GTX 750TI has internal hdmi audio,so should do the job.

Also see that your AVR (Marantz NR1606) is decoding the audio..

Thanks
Rajesh

Since you are using kodi,then here is the steps to enable hd audio passthrough.

Maintenenace tools - settings-system-audio output - Enable Passthrough is selected.

See that in Windows -sound-settings- Digital audio (HDMI) is choosen as your default playback device.

STEPS as below:

Right-click over the speaker icon on the bottom right hand corner of your Windows taskbar. Select "Playback Devices".

This will bring up the Sound panel and also Digital Audio (HDMI)" it sends the audio from the internal S/PDIF connector to your graphics card. In this example, you would select "Digital Audio (HDMI)" and then press the "Set Default" button to make this your Windows default audio device. The sound options will vary depending on which sound controller your PC is using.

If you are using an NVIDIA GTX 750Ti graphics card with a built in NVIDIA HD audio codec, you will see "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" in the list of playback devices in the Sound properties. If no other audio devices are connected to your PC (i.e. headphones, PC speakers), the "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" will be assigned as the default playback device by Microsoft Windows. If not, select the "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" device and then press the "Set Default" button to apply this change.

GTX 750TI has internal hdmi audio,so should do the job.

Also see that your AVR (Marantz NR1606) is decoding the audio..

Thanks
Rajesh

thanks! let me check it tonight.

ok so i tweaked the settings y'day

@TCHeN, i couldnt find in potplayer, Audio Decoder > Built in Codec Settings > Enable Pass Through....instead, what i did was, went to:

preferences >> audio >> audio output >> set 'audio renderer' as 'DirectSound: Marantz-avr-4 (nvidia HD audio)

and

beneath the above,

S/PDIF rendered: *same as above, as in 'audio renderer'*

and

set 'output' as, 'S/PDIF after AC3 re-encoding'

so now when playing a 5.1 or 7.1 movie on potplayer, the AVR display lightens up with the 'DD surround' logo. :)

plus, if i press 'info' on the AVR remote, the 'sound' field shows 'Dolby Digital' (where earlier it used to show 'PCM').....one question i have though - 'active speakers' section in info, shows all speakers as active, but 'input signal' field shows only L & R speakers as receiving signal...this is not constant. in some other movie, i saw L, R, C, SL, SR, LFE speakers active......does this 'input signal' section show only those speakers as active, which are CURRENTLY receiving the audio-signal?

--------------------------------------------------------------

@rajesh srinivas

on desktop, i had already selected Marantz (nvidia HD audio) as the playback device once earlier...

further, in kodi....

settings >> system >> audio:

playing from kodi too, AVR's display now reads dolby digital or dts neural:x

Last edited:
ok so i tweaked the settings y'day

@TCHeN, i couldnt find in potplayer, Audio Decoder > Built in Codec Settings > Enable Pass Through....instead, what i did was, went to:

preferences >> audio >> audio output >> set 'audio renderer' as 'DirectSound: Marantz-avr-4 (nvidia HD audio)

and

beneath the above,

S/PDIF rendered: *same as above, as in 'audio renderer'*

and

set 'output' as, 'S/PDIF after AC3 re-encoding'

so now when playing a 5.1 or 7.1 movie on potplayer, the AVR display lightens up with the 'DD surround' logo. :)

Press F5 in PotPlayer, Preferences > Filter Control > Audio Decoder > Click on Built-in Codec Settings > Right Side Menu Enable Pass Through.

I personally use WASAPI for the renderer, and built in decoder (which is FFmeg). Output mode is PCM Default.

I also use LAV Filters off and on, lot more granular control and features, but for ease of use I simply use FFmpeg in PotPlayer for both audio and video. However, for video I do use DXVA h/w acceleration as I've a decent NVIDIA 1060, but other than that everything else is tweaked in madVR from sites like Mike Jung and JRiver.

plus, if i press 'info' on the AVR remote, the 'sound' field shows 'Dolby Digital' (where earlier it used to show 'PCM').....one question i have though - 'active speakers' section in info, shows all speakers as active, but 'input signal' field shows only L & R speakers as receiving signal...this is not constant. in some other movie, i saw L, R, C, SL, SR, LFE speakers active......does this 'input signal' section show only those speakers as active, which are CURRENTLY receiving the audio-signal?

What AVR is this?

Mine is Onkyo and for me it shows Dolby Digital/DTS/DTS-HD MA, etc. as is normal for pass through, and for 2 channel rips I typically use DTS Neo.

Not sure of the active speakers setting/option... I simply test the speakers via Windows Volume Control in my HTPC.

I too use a Marantz receiver with MPC-HC as the player. Enabling pass through in the player, displays the source encoding on the receiver. Nothing else needed. I have not done any other tweaks either in the player or in windows.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

I too use a Marantz receiver with MPC-HC as the player. Enabling pass through in the player, displays the source encoding on the receiver. Nothing else needed. I have not done any other tweaks either in the player or in windows.

MPC-HC, Daum PotPlayer, and JRiver - all are the da bomb with madVR. Give it a try... amazing PQ if your PC has the GPU chops.

And it costs considerably less for the GPU compared to an AVR. madVR is free.

Back