How to Bitstream HD audio from HTPC/Laptop

MPC-HC, Daum PotPlayer, and JRiver - all are the da bomb with madVR. Give it a try... amazing PQ if your PC has the GPU chops.

And it costs considerably less for the GPU compared to an AVR. madVR is free.
Hmm alright, will try looking it up, although quite happy with the quality already. Did not pay too much heed to it as nowadays most of the watching is via streaming. Will give it a shot anyways.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

most of the watching is via streaming. Will give it a shot anyways.

Ah that's true for me too... most of audio and video is via streaming and most of that is actually compressed. But the ease of use cannot be bettered... just have to speak to GH and it starts playing.

oh yes! had forgot to write about that. i use kodi / potplayer / mpchc....mostly kodi though.

If you are using Kodi, select " WASAPI- Your AVR model" under decoder & Audio pass through settings.. Also enable DD, DD+, DTS, HDMA & True HD capable AVR in the pass-thru settings.. YOu will need to select the user as advanced/expert to make these settings..

Which media player takes advantage of a GPU card? I have been using Kodi with DXVA2 acceleration for a long time.. But if there is any other media player that has the ability to process video better than Kodi, i would like to give a try.. Please let me know..

Which media player takes advantage of a GPU card? I have been using Kodi with DXVA2 acceleration for a long time.. But if there is any other media player that has the ability to process video better than Kodi, i would like to give a try.. Please let me know..
I preferred MPC-HC player, although I am yet to tweak it. Used kodi for almost a year on raspberry, prefer MPC-HC over it.

MaSh

VLC, MPC-HC, and Daum PotPlayer.

2 ways to go about it... offload everything to GPU.

Or use onboard GPU for decoding i.e. use Intel QuickSync (most modern Intel CPUs have some level of inbuilt GPU - haven't used AMD), and for rendering use GPU (preferably with the likes of madVR).

I preferred MPC-HC player, although I am yet to tweak it. Used kodi for almost a year on raspberry, prefer MPC-HC over it.

MaSh

Ok..I will be using it for my PC, which has Zotac GT 740 graphics card..

VLC, MPC-HC, and Daum PotPlayer.

2 ways to go about it... offload everything to GPU.

I suppose DXVA2 offloads to GPU card when using kodi..In that regard, is MPC-HC better over kodi?

I suppose DXVA2 offloads to GPU card when using kodi..In that regard, is MPC-HC better over kodi?

The players are all the same, it's the codecs that matter. That's the same as saying it's the compression algorithm that matters, not the container.

For the most part both VLC and PotPlayer are great with their default decoders.

But MPC-HC and PotPlayer let you use 3rd party decoders + filters that will let you fine tune the performance - so yes in that regard they should be better than Kodi and even VLC.

I used to use MPC-HC a lot in the past, but PotPlayer is optimized to run full steam right out of the box, unlike MPC which needs tinkering to get the same level of performance.

For best PQ have a play with madVR with Jinc, there will be no going back after that.

Have a read through...
PotPlayer - https://wiki.mikejung.biz/PotPlayer
MPC-HC - https://wiki.mikejung.biz/Windows_8.1_MPC-HC_and_MadVR_Setup_Guide
madVR - https://wiki.mikejung.biz/MadVR

JRiver also has a couple of tutorials for madVR.

Best possible option for bitstreaming in PC "for music" is to use a good player + optical SPDIF (check for no corner bend of the wire)/if no spdif then good quality HDMI cable with short cable length< 8-9 feet + "WASAPI renderer" with exclusive control of the player n exclusive mode application priority....... with the last bit being the most important

Last edited:
The players are all the same, it's the codecs that matter. That's the same as saying it's the compression algorithm that matters, not the container.

For the most part both VLC and PotPlayer are great with their default decoders.

But MPC-HC and PotPlayer let you use 3rd party decoders + filters that will let you fine tune the performance - so yes in that regard they should be better than Kodi and even VLC.

I used to use MPC-HC a lot in the past, but PotPlayer is optimized to run full steam right out of the box, unlike MPC which needs tinkering to get the same level of performance.

For best PQ have a play with madVR with Jinc, there will be no going back after that.

Have a read through...
PotPlayer - https://wiki.mikejung.biz/PotPlayer
MPC-HC - https://wiki.mikejung.biz/Windows_8.1_MPC-HC_and_MadVR_Setup_Guide
madVR - https://wiki.mikejung.biz/MadVR

JRiver also has a couple of tutorials for madVR.

According to you Pot player with Madvr is the best combination to view superior 1080p images along with untouched hd audio transmission.

right.

r/s

According to you Pot player with Madvr is the best combination to view superior 1080p images along with untouched hd audio transmission.

right.

r/s

For PQ you can use either MPC-HC or PotPlayer with madVR. madVR is the video renderer for best PQ. It's free, but you need a high end GPU. Previously GPUs were cheaper than AVRs, but these days because of crypto mining it's the GPUs that have become expensive and even more difficult to find.

For SQ I'm not sure about MPC-HC, haven't used it in a long time. With PotPlayer it's easy to pass through audio.

For ease of use, PotPlayer for sure.

For PQ you can use either MPC-HC or PotPlayer with madVR. madVR is the video renderer for best PQ. It's free, but you need a high end GPU. Previously GPUs were cheaper than AVRs, but these days because of crypto mining it's the GPUs that have become expensive and even more difficult to find.

For SQ I'm not sure about MPC-HC, haven't used it in a long time. With PotPlayer it's easy to pass through audio.

For ease of use, PotPlayer for sure.

To me ,sound quality of Potplayer is better than MPC.
MadVr new versions are said to use GPU,earlier it would use CPU more.

Following this thread, I tried pot player last night and unfortunately I ran into a couple of issues.

First, I could not get it to pass through over hdmi. My receiver just showed multi channel input.

Second, I run a 4.1 setup, that is I do not run a center channel, although MPC-HC or kodi have no issues with it, either via pass through or on board processing, pot player would not split the center channel to the front mains like other players do. Now, if pot player could pass through then the receiver could split it.

Any one tried this scenario? The pass through check box is enabled in the pot player settings. Is there something else I need to tick?

MaSh

Can someone help me with laptop and potPlayer settings to play local video content to my AVR from my laptop.
laptop<avr<epsonProjector

Laptop HP 15 r014tx with core i5 4gb ram and nividia 820m gfx card. Is this laptop capable to bitstream 1080p blu Ray rip without any lag to Yamaha 2071 AVR through hdmi?

Does potplayer bitstream audio only ? Or does it bitstream video also as raw? I am new to this don't have a clue.

Netflix doen't seem to bitstream to my Home theater. Generally if bitstreaming is happening my HT shows "Dolby Digital" or "DTS", but while in netflix and 5.1ch selected, this isn't the case.

Can someone help me with laptop and potPlayer settings to play local video content to my AVR from my laptop.
laptop<avr<epsonProjector

Laptop HP 15 r014tx with core i5 4gb ram and nividia 820m gfx card. Is this laptop capable to bitstream 1080p blu Ray rip without any lag to Yamaha 2071 AVR through hdmi?

Does potplayer bitstream audio only ? Or does it bitstream video also as raw? I am new to this don't have a clue.

Not sure about Pot Player, I use MPCHC and this is the link I use to set it up. What is Raw Video? Audio is bitstreamed to the receiver to decode the format.

Netflix doen't seem to bitstream to my Home theater. Generally if bitstreaming is happening my HT shows "Dolby Digital" or "DTS", but while in netflix and 5.1ch selected, this isn't the case.

Are you using app or browser? Amazon Videos through browser also just plays Stereo. However, through an app you get DDD+. Not sure about Netflix, havent explored that.

MaSh

Back