How to carry a projector from the US

Just carry it in your back pack or hand luggage. no need to take the box. Just make sure, YOU handle the pack well. Only place you wont have control is during take off and landing and during turbulence. Just the put the bag in a compartment which is FULL at one end and use your other bag as a shield, which will most prolly have ur pair of clothes or sweets or laptop.. :). that's it.

No issues during check in security at US and most prolly u wont have any issues during in India also. Just treat it as a fragile item that you carrying from your end. Thats all. :).

And since you in business class. Just put the bag under the front seat or under yours. so that less chance of hitting others.

Have a safe trip.

@m-jeri. Thank you so much for valuable information. I was worry for US security check only. if they not allow me to carry the projector in cabin then what should I do? but as per your feedback, It looks like they will not stop me carry the projector in cabin luggage. Actually I dont want to take risk to put projector in checked in bag..

Please let me know, what kind of question, will be expected from security check in US and custom india in my case? It will really helpful for me if you share something.

Thanks again.

@m-jeri. Thank you so much for valuable information. I was worry for US security check only. if they not allow me to carry the projector in cabin then what should I do? but as per your feedback, It looks like they will not stop me carry the projector in cabin luggage. Actually I dont want to take risk to put projector in checked in bag..

Please let me know, what kind of question, will be expected from security check in US and custom india in my case? It will really helpful for me if you share something.

Thanks again.

When carrying electronics in hand baggage, ensure that you remove all the cables and put them in your checked-in baggage. In the United States, anything that can be used to strangle people won't be allowed in hand baggage.

hi rqoswami,

Dont worry too much.
Best to carry in your cabin luggage
open box packing "soft case" shall be available inside.

avoid check-in luggage, projector bulb is at high risk during handling.
US custom will not ask anything, only indian customs will ask.

/deepak

hi rqoswami,

Dont worry too much.
Best to carry in your cabin luggage
open box packing "soft case" shall be available inside.

avoid check-in luggage, projector bulb is at high risk during handling.
US custom will not ask anything, only indian customs will ask.

/deepak

Thanks Deepak for valuable suggestion, what will be the best answer to say to indian customs if they ask for open box projector?

rgoswami:

That last question deserves a place in a book that I will be publishing soon, titled:

The Dummies Guide to Indian Customs and Excise.

rgoswami: You have hijacked my thread man :eek:hyeah: Just kidding! By the way, when are you returning from the US? Do share your experience.

You can tell the custom officials that you are a sales guy and use this projector for making presentations to your clients :yahoo:

rgoswami: You have hijacked my thread man :eek:hyeah: Just kidding! By the way, when are you returning from the US? Do share your experience.

You can tell the custom officials that you are a sales guy and use this projector for making presentations to your clients :yahoo:

rikhi22s: I will definitely share my experience, I will also answer very well about all queries for this new ACER model.. Well reality is my friend will carry for me from US and he will be reaching at my city on 22-APR. He will coming by British airways economy class.

for custom, I already told my friend the same thing earlier. but he said, for this reason,custom officer will ask me company letter. Because of this reason, I confused.

Can we say it is for personal entertainment use, It was already brought from India, not purchase from US this time and I am always carry this item, once place to another place.?

OR any other good reason?

Thanks again.

There wont be any qn. 110% sure. Even if they do, which they wont, just say I was here for business presentation ;). After all, business class tickets. :D.

I know a lot of people who do this. Not even once they asked a qn.

rikhi22s: I will definitely share my experience, I will also answer very well about all queries for this new ACER model.. Well reality is my friend will carry for me from US and he will be reaching at my city on 22-APR. He will coming by British airways economy class.

for custom, I already told my friend the same thing earlier. but he said, for this reason,custom officer will ask me company letter. Because of this reason, I confused.

Can we say it is for personal entertainment use, It was already brought from India, not purchase from US this time and I am always carry this item, once place to another place.?

OR any other good reason?

See no one can answer the questions you ask. Just the cumulative experience others including me had. If your friend is going to get screwed, he will. if he is not, he wont. After all customs is not a single person. It depends on people to people who is manning the scanners and lines. So just tell your friend to risk it. If at all pay some "change" and get it through. And you pay him. Prepare for the worst. and you will be happy.

Since its just one projector in his backpack as one off item and others his personal items.. he will be good. Customs is not there to get your projector. They are looking for big scores. Even if customs, you will only end up paying less than 5k, usually... So why are u so much worried?.

This is confirm by British airways that video projector not allowed in cabin luggage or hand baggage. Only laptop allowed as electronics item. I personally talked with British airways and they give me this information.
My friend concern was right. He was worry from since beginning about this rule. Hope you guys now understand that why I was worry too much.

This is confirm by British airways that video projector not allowed in cabin luggage or hand baggage. Only laptop allowed as electronics item. I personally talked with British airways and they give me this information.
My friend concern was right. He was worry from since beginning about this rule. Hope you guys now understand that why I was worry too much.

This is very strange. Why would an airline be bothered about a projector? If somebody should have a problem - it has to be the custom guys. And if that is the case, how did so many people carry it?

This is very strange. Why would an airline be bothered about a projector? If somebody should have a problem - it has to be the custom guys. And if that is the case, how did so many people carry it?

May be nobody was fly by British airways. now I have only one option remaining is checked in buggage. wrap projector with soft case and some cloth and put between cloth is good idea without bubble sheet wrap and also paste Fragile Sticker on Bag.? my friend telling bubble wrap will consume lots of space.

Eh. I think you and your friend are being paranoid. And i have no clue regarding BA policies

But I know someone personally who carried a projector from Miami-Lon-Blore on Aug 2013. Economy. I dont know if policies have changed or not.

And fact of the matter is, the only place where your hand baggage is checked is during the security check. and that is done by TSA. thats the only place you MAY need to take it out. and they never ever ask which airline you on or the policies etc.

I cannot possibly think where BA personnel checks your hand baggage!!. Sometimes if the flight is too full(no clue what that means ;) All flights to India is.) they say only 1 peice allowed as cabin bag. That most times means 1 personal item, backpack or handbag is allowed. Again, they dont ask the contents.

But I flied only on Air France, BA, Lufthansa, Cathay Pacific, Air India internationally till now. So their international hub exp I am aware of.

If you see international airports, most of them have electronic duty free shops which sell projectors. How will someone carry it, if brought from a duty free shop? They will be reaching the duty free area only after checking in their luggage, and the pending option is to carry it as hand luggage. By the way, you and your friend should have taken it lightly and brought it as a regular laptop accessory. Now, if you are so concerned, use the bubble wrap which comes along it and keep it in the checkin luggage. If you are still concerned, offer a coconut to Ganesha for a safe journey :)

By the way, my friend will be carrying my 5370BD next weekend, I guess in Emirates. Didnt get a chance to talk to him, and I hope he will wrap it safely :) Anyway its a painful wait for 1 more week

OK - here the final update: arrived safely with the projector and carried it in my cabin baggage. Security check happened at NYC, Dubai and screening at Hyd customs but was not asked to take it out from my cabin baggage.

The final price including taxes was $ 850 for Epson HC2000 and was ordered on Amazon.com so it translated to INR 51000

Will share an update after testing it.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

hey rikhi can u explain me the process in which u got ur projector landed here safely along with u and the process of evading customs duty please man it would be helpful fo me

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back