How to carry a projector from the US

hey rikhi can u explain me the process in which u got ur projector landed here safely along with u and the process of evading customs duty please man it would be helpful fo me

Hi Rohith - as mentioned earlier, I removed the projector from the package and packed it in my cabin baggage along with my laptop and few clothes. The bag was scanned in NY, Dubai and Hyd airport but I was not asked to open the bag or take out the projector.
The cables, CD and manual etc. was packed in the chekin baggage. I walked out through the green channel at Hyderabad airport.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions.

All the best!

actually a friend of mine is getting me that projector from USA and its his first time coming home from USA after last december when he went there and he is not a pro about handling these immigration and customs crap so hez a little worried about getting caught by the officials for not declaring the projector in immigration forms..... any other precautions or suggestions regarding safe landing with projector(without getting caught) will be appreciated nywayz thanq for yo advice buddy :)

My friend had put it in check in luggage, and brought it home safely without any customs issue. I have not heard anyone in this forum facing customs issue while importing a projector.

just carried my optoma in check in baggage, nicely bubble wrapped. zero problems whatsoever. you just need to ensure its a hard luggage box not the other kinds.

ask him to not bring in original box, just bubble wrap it. if they ask, say its used, worst case pay customs and move out it will still be cheaper. but never in my 14 yrs thats happened.

Got my Benq W 1070 yesterday from the US. A friend carried it in its original packing (without the box) in the cabin luggage. Came through mumbai.. no one stopped him and it reached fine.

I just came back couple of weeks ago from the US. Carried Optoma HD25e in my checked in luggage in the original packing it came in (with the box). Chances of it getting damage are very remote as the company ships it around the world to distributors / consumers etc. in this packing.

Walked through the green channel at Delhi Airport, no questions asked. You can also put 2 boxes of Optoma 3D glasses (if you're getting) in the PJ box to save space.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 96
Just received my Acer 5380 that was carried over by my parents from the US. They carried it in carry-on as requested by me without any issues. They were stopped at a couple of places and had to open the box and confirm contents etc, but since they had the bills within limit and everything was in order, there was no issue. Wanted to avoid checkin due to potential issues with luggage handling as well as risk of random theft.

Edit: cost of 5380 was within duty free limit, so I wasn't worried about it. This one came in its proper box and all sealed wrappings.

Last edited:
I know it's an older thread but wondering if anyone might hv recently flown with a projector from UK to India, can plz share with the experience. I am planning to travel to India (kolkata) with Optoma UHD30 DLP projector from London. Can anyone please confirm whether its allowed as per airport security norms to carry in cabin luggage or needs to be in the checked in luggage nly, since it got mercury based lamps. If I carry in original retail packing do you think it would a wise choice to put inside the checked in luggage or might this get damaged? Any recent experience from any fellow member?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back