How to convert MKV to DVD

metalbandit

Hi All,

I have quite some files in .mkv format, but do not have the hardware (WDTV, etc.) or the TV(Plasma/LCD) to watch them at their original resolutions. Right now I can watch these only on the PC. Hence was thinking if there is any way to convert them to MPEG2 (DVD) or MPEG4 (DivX/Xvid), and then watch them using my Pioneer 610.

Anyone tried any software for this task?

Thanks.

Hi All,

I have quite some files in .mkv format, but do not have the hardware (WDTV, etc.) or the TV(Plasma/LCD) to watch them at their original resolutions. Right now I can watch these only on the PC. Hence was thinking if there is any way to convert them to MPEG2 (DVD) or MPEG4 (DivX/Xvid), and then watch them using my Pioneer 610.

Thanks.

Been playing with this stuff recently. StaxRip, AutoGK, HandBrake all will do it. Just select source as the MKV file and output as AVI with desired file size, quality, etc. Have not tried to convert to DVD, but this does not make sense. It's like trying to convert MP3 to WAV format and quality will take a hit. Better stick with Divx/Xvid format itself and they will look great on your Pioneer 610.

Been playing with this stuff recently. StaxRip, AutoGK, HandBrake all will do it. Just select source as the MKV file and output as AVI with desired file size, quality, etc. Have not tried to convert to DVD, but this does not make sense. It's like trying to convert MP3 to WAV format and quality will take a hit. Better stick with Divx/Xvid format itself and they will look great on your Pioneer 610.

Thanks man...

One concern here is that if I convert a big file, say 10 GB to DivX/Xvid, what should be the desired output size? And will it result in any quality loss?

Thanks man...

One concern here is that if I convert a big file, say 10 GB to DivX/Xvid, what should be the desired output size? And will it result in any quality loss?

Well for Divx anything from 1.5GB to 2GB will give great PQ and 5.1 Dolby Digital sound too. Do experiment with different sizes to see what works best for you. I prefer 1400 MB per movie so that 3 rips can fit in 1 DVD which then plays on my Philips DVDP. Like I said try with different sizes, but also keep in mind how many movies you want to fit on a DVD if you're going to be burning them onto DVDs to watch on the DVDP. If you're going to be using a USB pen drive or a re-writable DVD and not really keep permanent copies then 2GB to 2.5GB will really give you great PQ.

BTW I've heard good things about the PQ of the Pioneer 610 so I am sure Divx rips of around 2GB will really give great PQ for you.

Well for Divx anything from 1.5GB to 2GB will give great PQ and 5.1 Dolby Digital sound too. Do experiment with different sizes to see what works best for you. I prefer 1400 MB per movie so that 3 rips can fit in 1 DVD which then plays on my Philips DVDP. Like I said try with different sizes, but also keep in mind how many movies you want to fit on a DVD if you're going to be burning them onto DVDs to watch on the DVDP. If you're going to be using a USB pen drive or a re-writable DVD and not really keep permanent copies then 2GB to 2.5GB will really give you great PQ.

I guess I'll keep the original mkv files backed up on DVD and use the converted files to watch on my DVDP via Pen Drive. So I'll go with 2.5 to 3 GB. Thanks again moser....

:signthankspin:

Before buying Popcorn Hour, I was downloading all MKV files and converting to DVD-5/9 depending on the visual effects of the movie.
I was using ConvertXtoDVD (link given below) which gave excellent DVD quality which is above par than the DVD you get from the shops (I mean the original, because the average bitrate touches in the range of 8 Mbps whereas the so called original DVDs we buy @ 500/- to 800/- have a peak bitrate of 6Mbps only)

AVI to DVD Video Converter Software VSO ConvertXtoDVD Download now

You can add menus to the DVD and also can add 2 or 3 movies in a DVD-5/9 etc (depending on the quality you require).

To change MKV to Divx you don't need any software (same size as MKV but playable only in HD compatible Divx players), just rename the .mkv to .avi since MKV is not a format and it is only a container.

Just try & see, Enjoy!

Last edited:
I have converted some files using HandBrake; while the sound is perfect, the video is out of sync and lags behind the audio.

Is there any way to fix this?

Yes, ConvertXtoDvd 3 is too good. If you like to have the best possible clarity on a DVD, this is the best way to do it. MKV to DVD. Using the SW is also very easy. Make menu, chapters etc., it really does a good job. One of the best multimedia softwares that I have ever come across!

Hi All,

Thanks.

even if u had the hardware, i.e. LCD as i am having, u wont be able to play HD mkv files.

use convertx to dvd. its the ultimate software around. its got a 30 day trial. good enough. no hassles and awesome! the others like automkv etc. i found to be a bit too complicated. convertx has just one button "convert". simply click on it and you're done! :)

even if u had the hardware, i.e. LCD as i am having, u wont be able to play HD mkv files.

use convertx to dvd. its the ultimate software around. its got a 30 day trial. good enough. no hassles and awesome! the others like automkv etc. i found to be a bit too complicated. convertx has just one button "convert". simply click on it and you're done! :)

@frnd08 - It seems you've not been following the threads here bro. The hottest topic of discussion lately has been WDTV which plays a lot of formats which includes MKV too. Standalone DVDP do not yet handle MKV format.

@reju & @frnd08 - I've d/l ConvertXtoDVD and it looks good, but one issue is it only converts to DVD5 and not to MPEG4 like Divx/Xvid which is a bit meaningless. It's useful for large files or HD rips, but useless for MPEG4 media which will be like converting MP3 to WAV. Also, even a DVD9 compressed to DVD5 takes a hit in PQ, but even a 2GB Divx will give better PQ than a 4GB DVD5 when compressed. In this day when all DVDP play Divx files it makes more sense to have 2GB Divx files that look better than 4GB DVD5 rips. At least this makes more sense in storing/backing up media and occupying less space.

@metalbandit - Any audio/video sync s/w will fix it. Just Google for same. I'm wondering though how come you are getting this problem. Been using HandBrake for a long time without issues. Let me dig around and see if I can find what's wrong here. You can also give StaxRip a try. It's very good too.

@frnd08 - It seems you've not been following the threads here bro. The hottest topic of discussion lately has been WDTV which plays a lot of formats which includes MKV too. Standalone DVDP do not yet handle MKV format.

@reju & @frnd08 - I've d/l ConvertXtoDVD and it looks good, but one issue is it only converts to DVD5 and not to MPEG4 like Divx/Xvid which is a bit meaningless. It's useful for large files or HD rips, but useless for MPEG4 media which will be like converting MP3 to WAV. Also, even a DVD9 compressed to DVD5 takes a hit in PQ, but even a 2GB Divx will give better PQ than a 4GB DVD5 when compressed. In this day when all DVDP play Divx files it makes more sense to have 2GB Divx files that look better than 4GB DVD5 rips. At least this makes more sense in storing/backing up media and occupying less space.

@metalbandit - Any audio/video sync s/w will fix it. Just Google for same. I'm wondering though how come you are getting this problem. Been using HandBrake for a long time without issues. Let me dig around and see if I can find what's wrong here. You can also give StaxRip a try. It's very good too.

hmm does WDTV play HD files too? or is it just a dvd player which plays mkv?

@moserw
what do u suggest then for conversion? there's one all to avi which is good but it far too slow for my liking. btw even h264 is an mpeg4 codec isnt it? so even if its HD its still mpeg4.

the thing about DVDs is that they can have cool menus! :) i know i'm sounding stupid but when a movie has a nice setup, it looks good! :)

hmm does WDTV play HD files too? or is it just a dvd player which plays mkv?

WDTV is not a DVDP. It plays media from an external HDD or a USB drive. More information can be found at WD TV HD Media Player ( WDAVN00 ) and MBR will be more than happy to answer any queries. He is one happy WDTV user and has convinced many including myself on this forum to go for WDTV themselves.

@moserw
what do u suggest then for conversion? there's one all to avi which is good but it far too slow for my liking. btw even h264 is an mpeg4 codec isnt it? so even if its HD its still mpeg4.

the thing about DVDs is that they can have cool menus! :) i know i'm sounding stupid but when a movie has a nice setup, it looks good! :)

Coming to conversion any s/w is fine. You're right H.264 is MPEG4, but what I meant was MPEG4 files are being converted to MPEG2 i.e. DVD5 by ConvertXtoDVD. If menus are your requirement then lots of s/w that will create menus even for Divx files. Just Google Divx menus and you'll lots of hits. Divx Labs is a good place to start at here.

Coming to conversion any s/w is fine. You're right H.264 is MPEG4, but what I meant was MPEG4 files are being converted to MPEG2 i.e. DVD5 by ConvertXtoDVD. If menus are your requirement then lots of s/w that will create menus even for Divx files. Just Google Divx menus and you'll lots of hits. Divx Labs is a good place to start at here.

true. but i am having lg dv 388. it doesnt support divx menus as its only for divx certified devices.

finally, any news of HD players which can play mkv? i mean disc players not external HD ones. :)

and yeah, do suggest me a software to convert 720p mkv files to SD xvid ones. all i know of now is all to avi which basically sucks! :D

true. but i am having lg dv 388. it doesnt support divx menus as its only for divx certified devices.

finally, any news of HD players which can play mkv? i mean disc players not external HD ones. :)

If you mean DVDP to play H.264 then none yet, but I read somewhere they will be out this year. It seems testing/R&D has started in China. Divx 7 certified players coming out this summer in the U.S. will do it too. Only a matter of time I suppose before be get them too, but might be a tad bit expensive initially.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back