how to get a movie header in kodi

arnprasad

hi..my experience with xbmc/kodi is that by default when we set it up,there is no separate header called movies.when we have a movies folder inside videos folder, it somehow recognizes and we get a movies header along with pictures, videos,music..etc.so till today morning everything was fine. i was teaching my kid how to use kore remote on my android and when i selected movies on my phone remote, it displayed all movies including some basic info photo..etc on my android....pretty impressive.then i added another movie and did a refresh on the remote and got a blank screen. initially i thought i did something wrong on my phone..so took another phone and again when i clicked movies in the app- blank screen with a prompt..swipe down for refresh.

Then i figured it is not a phone issue so when i looked at my TV, i realized that movie header disappered .now when i go to videos,files..etc can still see the movie folder and all the movies.

pls explain to me how kodi recognizes movies during first set up and creates a movies header and why it suddenly disappeared...

I also just realized that when the movie header was there, it downloaded all the movie info.but when i choose the video-files-movies route to access movies, there is no smart information..just a bland listing of movie files..not impressive at all..what just happened?

Last edited:
By the term 'movie header', you are trying to mean 'movie metadata' (like thumbnail image, Actors, Director, Plat information etc) right?

In recent versions of Kodi (15/16), Movie tab (or menu item) has been ketp invisible during initial startup. Once you scan for movie information by right clicking on source and when the scan operation is over, movie tab (or menu item) will appear automatically and all movie metadata will be visible on screen. All you have to do is, from left menu (just move your mouse to extreme left to the screen - a menu window will appear), set icon type as Fanart (its my favourite). You might play around with other types of displays as well.

Please note - before movie info scan, make sure that imdb extension is installed under Videos > Addons and your htpc is connected to internet.

My mind.

pls explain to me how kodi recognizes movies during first set up and creates a movies header and why it suddenly disappeared...

I also just realized that when the movie header was there, it downloaded all the movie info.but when i choose the video-files-movies route to access movies, there is no smart information..just a bland listing of movie files..not impressive at all..what just happened?

You need to remove the source added and re add the source from video->files and rescan all movies. After that your movie header will return. This is not suppose to happen but very rarely happenes ..... and yes when will take the video->files->movies route you will only see bland list of movies, but the cover page still should be there ....

Actually that evening it reappeared. Not really sure what happened but am happy.

when the list of movies appears on the phone with thumbnail, duration, 2-3 lines on movie - its very very impressive. I show it to people who visit my house and they just cant believe a remote can be so damn beautiful and its also free!!! Plus the fact they can go up and down...i myself feel so happy with the remote on my phone!

Also what is the easiest way to refresh the list on my computer Kodi? when ever i add a movie - i always struggle - i have clicked on all options, right click...done everything - but there is no easy refresh button..its only when i shut down and open kodi after few days the new movie appears.

also i have noticed another thing - when you play audio files..or may be even video - there is no volume button along with play, stop, FF and all that. is that by design?

Last edited:
Also what is the easiest way to refresh the list on my computer Kodi? when ever i add a movie - i always struggle - i have clicked on all options, right click...done everything - but there is no easy refresh button..its only when i shut down and open kodi after few days the new movie appears.?

Manual Way --> Videos=>File=>Right click on the source=>Scan for new content.

Auto Way --> Download "XBMC Library Auto Update (Add ons>Install from repository>Program addons>XBMC Library Auto Update) -->Go to configure --> Video --> Amount of time between updates ...... and set it to what ever you want. I keep it 6 hours (i.e twice a day)

There is another plug in called "WatchDog" that keeps monitoring your library, and if there is any changes it auto updates. BUT for me this plugin never worked as intended. You can try though maybe it will work for you:)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back