How to keep the shiny surface of TV scratch free?

gopscreative

Hi all,this may seem lik a silly question but i have to ask.
wat type of cloth shd we use to clean the outer surface of the TV(shiney surface)? and If the surface has already got some slight scratches ,Is der any way to get rid of it?

Scratches are a physical damage to the surface, so cannot be removed unless you change the surface esp. if you are talking of the glass viewing surface. The best way to avoid surface scratch while cleaning is to keep the surface moist and use a soft lint free cloth (like the ones you get from 3m).

Hard impact cannot be prevented,but gradual can with the help of special wax OR even vaseline.(not for LCD screen)

For LCD,some screen guards are available in market(read in Indian magz)

Addition of any kind of wax or vaseline (or moisture?) to the screen just does not make any sense to me. This is not a car body that needs to be protected from the elements! Any of these things will attract dust, which will then have to rubbed to get rid of it. eeek.

Glass is pretty tough; it is going to take some severe impact to damage it, however, all dust contains mineral grit, which is abrasive. Remove dust with a soft duster, like feather duster, or by flicking with a very soft cloth. Remove marks with a micro-fibre cloth.

LCD screens are probably much more fragile. I don't have an LCD TV, but have recently bought an LCD monitor. What chance it will last as long as my old CRT did? Cleaning, as above, but with even greater care.

My number-one-hint for keeping a computer screen clear is do not touch it! Every finger touch leads to a greasy mark that attracts and holds dust. Whilst TVs tend to be further away than our monitors, same rule applies.

wat type of cloth shd we use to clean the outer surface of the TV(shiney surface)? and If the surface has already got some slight scratches ,Is der any way to get rid of it?

dont worry you will like to change the TV itself in 3 years !
dont buy 800Rs so called screen cleaners .. a diluted isopropyl alcohol wipe with a lint free cloth /soft cloth is enough.... dont cover the LCD with chain attached synthetic cover,it may give scratches.

Hey ppl the scratches r actually on de borders of the TV(shiny surface) Not visible from long dist but visible wen viewed from a nearer dist.Is der any way to get rid of it?Actually my mom w/o knowing has wiped off de Border surface with some cloth and some scratches r visible...

I have a 3 year old 42" LCD TV and the chasis had started showing signs of aging. The gloss finish on the screen and chassis has gone!

The problem is that cleaning the screen/chassis with Colin or likes actually rubs off more than just the dirt from TV. It gradually "takes away" the sheen as well. So I found this work around,

Use a regular cheapy Rs. 150/- or so dashboard cleaner(Automotive)
topmatch$510124736.jpg
which can be sprayed on the LCD screen and chassis from a distance of 6 inches. Leave it for about 5 min after a uniform spray of 30-45 seconds. After that very gently rub off the excess spray using an old cotton hanky and see the magic. For the next 1 week you wont see any dirt accumulating onto it.

Dont forget to use this kind of Feather Duster
featherduster.jpg
(Rs. 100 for original)before doing this otherwise the results would be disasterous. And yeah, Dont let the household maid do the "dusting and Cleaning" of your Home theatre setup. :eek:hyeah:

I have a 3 year old 42" LCD TV and the chasis had started showing signs of aging. The gloss finish on the screen and chassis has gone!

The problem is that cleaning the screen/chassis with Colin or likes actually rubs off more than just the dirt from TV. It gradually "takes away" the sheen as well. So I found this work around,

Use a regular cheapy Rs. 150/- or so dashboard cleaner(Automotive)
topmatch$510124736.jpg
which can be sprayed on the LCD screen and chassis from a distance of 6 inches. Leave it for about 5 min after a uniform spray of 30-45 seconds. After that very gently rub off the excess spray using an old cotton hanky and see the magic. For the next 1 week you wont see any dirt accumulating onto it.

Dont forget to use this kind of Feather Duster
featherduster.jpg
(Rs. 100 for original)before doing this otherwise the results would be disasterous. And yeah, Dont let the household maid do the "dusting and Cleaning" of your Home theatre setup. :eek:hyeah:

Thanks very much.But wat abt dos slight scratches already found? any way to get rid of it? and wer do u gt dis spray?

dear friend please use See Spray (from amway) to clean on the screen and loc (from amway) for the outer surface of the tv. before using this please be sure the mains or off.

With any spray-on or fluid -Beware! if it runs to the bottom of the screen and inside the case it can short circuit stuff.

I heard of someone who killed an LCD monitor this way: dead bands up the screen where the drops fell.

Well,
Colin, See Spray are for CLEANING. They rub off more than dirt as I mentioned in my reply with pictures :mad:

The same problem happens in Automotive plastics like dashboard which wear off with time.

So the solution is to "hide" those blemishes and marks and scratches using a feather duster (the costly one[Rs.100], cause the cheaper one [Rs.40]will do more of damages) to remove the dust and then a gentle spray of dashboard cleaner which you can find at any car accessory outlet.

Remember - Now a days you can find those cheapy car sprays which emit white foam kinda spray - DONT USE THAT.
Use the one which emits transparent wax spray, they are the ones that need to be used for TVs etc.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back