How to passthrough / bitstream audio from browser (youtube, amazonprime video etc) to AVR

iajay

Hi
I hope the question is clear in the title itself
Here is my setup. PC Win 10 -> RX550 Graphics Card -> HDMI -> AVR
Here is what is happening
I view
on the browser on my PC browser (FF, Chrome etc)
And I see PCM in the AVR and the sound does not come from the correct channels
I play the same video on my LG B6 OLED Tv's youtube app and I hear the sound coming from correct channels and AVR display shows - DD (Dolby Digital)
I read that youtube videos are 2 channel only, so may be the TV has some upmixing and so it upmixes and sends to AVR
I again tried amazon prime video (5.1) on the PC browser and again the AVR displays PCM. I think it should show DD or DD+ etc
I can passthrough / bitstream the audio using KODI, VLC etc. So when I view DTS etc movies in KODI, the AVR displays correct decoder
I tried a lot of settings in the audio settings but I dont understand how I passthrough the audio from a browser
Is there a way using which I can passthrough everything on the PC to the AVR. In that case I dont need to change settings in each software
Hope the query is clear
Regards
Ajjaykummar

Hey hi,

There are massive threads asking the same thing. The issue currently is that the browser sends all the audio to the default Playback device. Since the browser cannot bitstream what goes to the playback device is stereo.

One of the solutions is to use JRiver. JRiver installs a dummy playback device in windows which you need to make Default. This playback device picks up the Audio as is from browser and sends it to JRiver which can bitstream it to the receiver.

I tried this and it worked 80% of the times. It's still a work in progress, is what I understood from the forums. There are various other similar plugins, add-ons, etc. JRiver was the smoothest of all. However, I did not end up using it for too long.

You could go through this link on how to set it up.
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WDM_Driver

MaSh

Hey hi,

There are massive threads asking the same thing. The issue currently is that the browser sends all the audio to the default Playback device. Since the browser cannot bitstream what goes to the playback device is stereo.

One of the solutions is to use JRiver. JRiver installs a dummy playback device in windows which you need to make Default. This playback device picks up the Audio as is from browser and sends it to JRiver which can bitstream it to the receiver.

I tried this and it worked 80% of the times. It's still a work in progress, is what I understood from the forums. There are various other similar plugins, add-ons, etc. JRiver was the smoothest of all. However, I did not end up using it for too long.

You could go through this link on how to set it up.
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WDM_Driver

MaSh
Hi Mash
Thanks for the reply, I will check this and get back to you.
You said you stopped using it, then what are you using. I see the same PCM while playing FIFA18 ..

Hi Mash
Thanks for the reply, I will check this and get back to you.
You said you stopped using it, then what are you using. I see the same PCM while playing FIFA18 ..

Well for music I switched over to Chromecast, so htpc browser is no longer being used for music listening, plus using JRiver was a bit iffy.

MaSh

Not sure any of the YouTube videos are 5.1 sources.Nor is Amazon Prime movies. One thing you can try is go to Sound control panel, select the device you want to use for surround, click configure, and see if it gives you the option to select 5.1 configuration.

I see 5.1 in Amazon movies ..I mean in the browser .. anyways I see 5.1 , 7.1 option in audio settings.. but then it would mean the PC is handling the upmixing.. I think it would be better for the AVR to handle it...
Also my LG Oled handles the upmixing brilliantly .. if I watch youtube videos I get the correct sound from the correct speaker .. I even tried youtube in lg tv browser ...

Ya I had tried that yesterday.. it showed Dolby atmos / pcm in the Aur.. but the sound was not coming from correct channels..

I m wondering why the same video sounds correct when played on the TV youtube app or browser and does not sound correct when played from pc
I tried playing from browser, jplayer, downloaded the original video from youtube desc and played in kodi, vlc, jplayer, also tried youtube add-on for kodi and played the same video.. in all the cases the sound does not come From correct channels, I mean when the sound should come from rear left, it actually comes from front left and rear left..
Can anyone of you try playing the video on your PC and see if the sounds come from correct channels
Regards

yesterday night I downloaded and tried the Battlefield 1 game.. It has setting for 5.1 and also option for ATMOS
When these options are enabled, the AVR shows ATMOS/PCM and the settings automatically changes to Straight
If I try to change it to something else like Surround decoder, 7.2 stereo or anything else, it does not allow. So only straight is allowed
I get good surround effects.
So what does ATMOS/PCM means here. Is this correct? Also the setting is set to Straight, is this also normal?
I also tried changing the sound card setup. I tried stereo, 5.1 etc but the AVR still shows ATMOS/PCM when playing the game
So the sound card setup does not change much when I set the options in the game
Regards

good. on the remote control,there is a button called info. try to cycle through it. with every press it should cycle through input/codec/dsp what not.

good. on the remote control,there is a button called info. try to cycle through it. with every press it should cycle through input/codec/dsp what not.
Ya I m able to do that.. the Audio decoder is shown as Atmos/PCM and the dsp is always Straight and cannot be changed. this all when I select surround and atmos in the battlefield 1 game.. can you check the youtube video in ur browser and see what Audio decoder to you see in AVR and most. Importantly if the sounds come from correct channel aashiqon in the video

As far as i know Amazon prime video on a computer browser will only give you two channel audio even if if displays 5.1, for DRM purposes. Has this changed recently?
Well I don't know.. is there any other way to play prime video on htpc in 5.1

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back