HT-RC160 new high-end receiver from Onkyo

skumar

HT-RC160 new 7.2 receiver from Onkyo

With the new HT-RC160, you have a multi-talented 7.2-channel receiver that offers the latest connecting, upscaling, and decoding technology on a bedrock of obsessively fine-tuned Onkyo amplification. Five HDMI 1.3a inputs enable clean, one-cable connection of multiple high-def sources, including Blu-ray Disc, gaming consoles, and set-top boxes. As well as handling native 1080p and upscaled 1080i video, HDMI 1.3a can also carry the HD audio of DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD. The HT-RC160 even includes Dolbys latest technology, Dolby

Pro Logic IIz, which adds front height channels to bring a spacious new vertical dimension to the sound stage. Along with intelligent Audyssey equalization and Faroudja deinterlacing technologies, the HT-RC160 gives you a ton of connectivity options, so you can incorporate HD Radio, iPod, and more.

Special Features
  • Five 1080p capable HDMI inputs
  • PLIIz new surround format for higher dimension
  • Analog to HDMI video upconversion by Faroujda DCDi
  • WRAT technology and discrete amp construction for cleaner sound
  • TrueHD/DTS-HD decoding to support the latest Blu-ray technology
  • Optional iPod Dock / HDradio module via proprietary U.Port

More details, here

PS: Shipping soon... not yet out in the stores in the USA...

Last edited:
This is coming for around $299 in Costco during this Christmas season.
btw - this is my first time to buy a reciever. I have a Wii, a HD projector and will hook up TV input in to this. Am planning to take this back from US to India. What are my options to buy right speakers in India? and what else do I need ? Is this a good price ($299) compared to what I can get in India....

Please help me decide, Thank you very much : )

Typically, AVR prices in India are 50...100% higher compared to the prices in USA. If you can risk lack of warranty and can take care of 220..110v conversion, getting them from USA will be the best.

You can get speakers in India and carrying them from USA may not be worth from a luggage point of view. Do get HDMI/RCA-ICs/Speaker cables from USA.

I am seeing this thread for the first time, but it is amusing to see that the OP has copied the text so well from the site that he has even incorporated an error in the site - a line break between 'Dolby' and 'Pro Logic IIz'.

I was wondering if Dolby has come with a new sound code called 'Dolby' that I had not heard of before. :)

No offence to you Kumar. I just found it very amusing. Many times, it just makes more sense to just provide a link to the site.

Cheers

I was wondering if Dolby has come with a new sound code called 'Dolby' that I had not heard of before. :)

No offence to you Kumar. I just found it very amusing. Many times, it just makes more sense to just provide a link to the site.

I think '' means "registered trademark" or something similar... BTW, it is part of the ASCII character set, so no special effort spent in copy-pasting... :lol:

I normally paste the higlights/summary and the link, it will help people to ignore the link if they are not impressed/interested after looking at the summary. This is a habit from the good old days of dial-up and 256mb PCs, this may not be necessary with broadband and 2ghz computers so common now... Old habits die hard...

Hi Skumar..Thanks for the info. Can you/ some one suggest me on which speakers should i buy for this reciever? I am based in Pune and need to get some suggestions, as this is my first time i am setting up a good Audio system for self. My room size should be 10 by 18, and I love to listen to all kins of music - Indian classical, bollywood music to hip-hop and pop. Pls suggest what gear should I buy - for this HT-RC160 (7.2 channel onkyo reciever that I bought)...Will need I think subwoofer and good speakers. Need to know if I can get something (all put together) in a 25-30 K range.
Thank you.

Hi Skumar..Thanks for the info. Can you/ some one suggest me on which speakers should i buy for this reciever? I am based in Pune and need to get some suggestions, as this is my first time i am setting up a good Audio system for self. My room size should be 10 by 18, and I love to listen to all kins of music - Indian classical, bollywood music to hip-hop and pop. Pls suggest what gear should I buy - for this HT-RC160 (7.2 channel onkyo reciever that I bought)...Will need I think subwoofer and good speakers. Need to know if I can get something (all put together) in a 25-30 K range.
Thank you.

What is your music/movie perefernce (%s)? From your post, it looks like you are gonna use the AVR for music alone??? Hold on before you make any purchases, spend some time reading previous threads on the forum (especially Stereo Amps, 2.0 setup etc.) and then ask specific queries. The more time you spend in doing the homework, the better matching of your setup with your needs.

BTW, have you bought this AVR already? If yes, what is the budget for speakers alone? If no, what is the budget for overall setup? You may not need a sub for listening to music, depends on the speakers.

Hi Skumar

Thank you. Have been reading through some posts as you suggested. Will have to dig thru more to understand. Have been travelling and could not respond back. I did purchase this already and is at home here in India.
Would like to watch movies, listen to good classical and also western music of various kinds.Basically want some set of speakers (+sub if needed) for playing a wide range of music/ videos. The amp itself costed me approx 300 USD. Excluding above expense, my budget for the speakers itself is flexible (20K to 30 K Rs) or if needed can stretch above.
Thank you.

Excluding above expense, my budget for the speakers itself is flexible (20K to 30 K Rs) or if needed can stretch above.

Energy or Q-Acoustic 5.1 set are the nearest to your budget, on the higher side though. If you could spend more money later, start with a 2.0/2.1 set from PSB/Wharfedale etc and then build the rest as and when you could afford.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back