HT Setup Budget (50k to 1L)

abhisheak

Hi,
I am new here, I intend to set up a 5.1 system.

Currently I own a Cheap 2.1 Sony SRS D9, which I intend to discard.

My knowledge in terms of what is "good setup' available in the market is limited, so please advice me on building decent setup

Budget : Rs 50k to 1L, I wont be buying the whole set up in one go due to funds constraint, what I intend to do is first purchase an AVR and stereo speaker than a sub and than central and than surround speaker.

My general use will be playing games via PS4, watching youtube videos and movies.
Source will be PS4 when playing games and smart TV (43W950C) when watching youtube, spotify or watching movies via external HDD.

Music/Sound Preference: Generally I prefer more bass, the one which makes you perfectly enjoy the music of artist like daft pund, weeknd, drake (I am into electronic, hip hop, rock).
I don't have technical knowledge, so cant really tell what frequency response should the HT have, so I will detail in laymen terms what I require, enough bass for properly getting the feel of hip hop/electronic music but at the same time I don't want to compromise on the sound clarity.

Room Size: 18 Feet X 10 Feet X 13 Feet

Here you can see the postion of TV and I will sitting on the bed for majority of the time.
20180302_115113-min.jpg

In the below picture: Fridge and big table on the right hand side will be removed from the room.
20180414_011142-min.jpg
Picture of the room from one end to other end.
20180414_011207-min.jpg
20180414_011136-min.jpg

I live in Delhi, if you can suggest some good shops where I can audition the same before buying will be helpful.
Feel free to ask me if you need any more info.

Thanks,
Abhi

Hi

You can go for a decent AVR with Satellite speakers or bookshelf speakers...lots of dealers in Dehli audition and decide......you can make a list of what interests you and then share the same with us....we will guide and help to bring that list down....final decision is yours

Hi

You can go for a decent AVR with Satellite speakers or bookshelf speakers...lots of dealers in Dehli audition and decide......you can make a list of what interests you and then share the same with us....we will guide and help to bring that list down....final decision is yours

If you can provide details of the decent dealers in Delhi it will be really helpful.

Gud morning you can try Denny Jose at BassNTreble, Ghitorni and SoundbyDesign, Sid Trehan, Gurgaon. Plenty of hardware and advice.
Rgds

Update: Today I went to Sound By Design and Bass Punkt, Gurgaon.

Auditioned: Polk Audio S20, Dali Zensor 1, Polk Audio RTi A7, Polk Audio 10" Subwoofer, Polk Audio 660 Sub 12", Minx 1. AVR: Denon 1400

Sid (@sound By Design, very nice guy) recommended stereo setup instead of 5.1, keeping in mind my room.

I couldn't tell much difference in the audio of Dali Zensor 1 and Polk S20.

From what I auditioned I liked: Zensor 1, RTi A7 (but the are bit our of range), Sub: Polk Audio 660 Sub.

Please advice what should i go for and any other worthy speaker which I should consider, Iwouldnt mind auditoneing more stuff to understand more option available in the market.

Try JBL LSR series, PSB alpha speakers also. Pair it with a Marantz https://www.hifimart.com/marantz/marantz-pm6006-integrated-amplifier.html or Yamaha stereo amplifier https://htstore.in/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=yamaha&page=3&product_id=420 and audition. Later on you can add a subwoofer if need be.
The trouble with book shelf speakers is they need to be on a sturdy stand with some room (atleast 1 foot from behind) so budget a little bit for those. or you can get something like this https://www.bajaao.com/products/bajaao-studio-monitor-speaker-isolation-pads-9-x-6-x-4-pair or https://www.amazon.in/IsoAcoustics-...scsubtag=4da3d641-2f42-439a-8dee-05a6ba2ce9cf
I find that isolating them from whatever surface you keep them on improves the performance quiet a bit. Just like getting decent speaker wires, adding a decent source can dramatically improve the sound especially the mids and bass area. this i would recommend for any speaker out there, unless it sits on their dedicated stands. putting high quality speakers on a normal desk is the worst thing one can do to the over all experience.

My general use will be playing games via PS4, watching youtube videos and movies.
Source will be PS4 when playing games and smart TV (43W950C) when watching youtube, spotify or watching movies via external HDD.

With mostly HDMI sources, you will largely benefit from AVR than stereo amplifier, which don't have HDMI..

Music/Sound Preference: Generally I prefer more bass, the one which makes you perfectly enjoy the music of artist like daft pund, weeknd, drake (I am into electronic, hip hop, rock).

You should consider getting dual subs + satellite speakers in your budget.. Satellites speakers are easy to mount on wall besides TV, you can easily tilt them for surrounds in your room..

With mostly HDMI sources, you will largely benefit from AVR than stereo amplifier, which don't have HDMI..

You should consider getting dual subs + satellite speakers in your budget.. Satellites speakers are easy to mount on wall besides TV, you can easily tilt them for surrounds in your room..

Yes, I plan to buy AVR.
Isn't the dual sub a over kill for a room like the one I have. Single powerful sub (maybe 12") wouldn't be a better option?
I am more in favor of BS as they produce more punch and have greater range.

Denon 1400 AVR should cost me about 40K that leaves me with 60K (Approx) for Sub and 2 stereo speaker, I am bit confused which combinations should I specifically look for best bang for bucks.

Isn't the dual sub a over kill for a room like the one I have.

Nope.. dual subs isn't overkill in your room..It acoustically has more benefits than any singe bigger expensive sub..

Single powerful sub (maybe 12") wouldn't be a better option?

Too much power (RMS) in a sub is not necessary, as you anyway wouldn't be requiring that high volumes..

What you will instead need is a sub that has the ability to reach lowest response 20Hz or below.. (generally very expensive here)..

I am more in favor of BS as they produce more punch and have greater range.

If you will be buying dual subs, then choose smallest speaker in any of the brands that you may like..

Denon 1400 AVR should cost me about 40K that leaves me with 60K (Approx) for Sub and 2 stereo speaker, I am bit confused which combinations should I specifically look for best bang for bucks.

Start with one sub now, complete your 5.1.2 set-up and then add the 2nd sub..

Nope.. dual subs isn't overkill in your room..It acoustically has more benefits than any singe bigger expensive sub..

Can you expand on this (I am bit of newbie)?

Too much power (RMS) in a sub is not necessary, as you anyway wouldn't be requiring that high volumes..

What you will instead need is a sub that has the ability to reach lowest response 20Hz or below.. (generally very expensive here)..

If you will be buying dual subs, then choose smallest speaker in any of the brands that you may like..

As per my limited understanding, aren't BS responsible for mid bass? If i move to satellite speakers won't I lose out on mid bass?

Start with one sub now, complete your 5.1.2 set-up and then add the 2nd sub..

Actually from the advice I have got from different A/V dealers, have left me confused.
Some has suggested that I should go for 2.1 setup as I will be sitting in just 6-7 feet away from my TV/Front Speakers and only 1 feet away from the wall (behind my back), surround speaker will of no good due to very limited distance & further surround speakers will create lot of echo due to design of the room.
On the other hand, few have told me surround setup is the way to go.

Please provide a definite answer.

Can you expand on this (I am bit of newbie)?

This is more of a technical topic, and needs some good understanding of acoustic terms.. Don't worry if you can't understand terms.. Just pick the essence of the article (two is better than one)..

Here is one articles from renowned subwoofer maker SVS - https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/75040195-why-go-dual

One more from audioholics - https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/two-subs

As per my limited understanding, aren't BS responsible for mid bass? If i move to satellite speakers won't I lose out on mid bass?

Below classification of bass per AVS Forums..

20-40 Hz - Sub Bass
41-80 Hz - Low Bass
81-160 Hz - Mid Bass
161-320 Hz - Upper Bass

Most satellite / smallest BS should be able to produce up to 80 Hz/100 hz.. It is below 80 Hz, where most BS would have limited ability to produce it.. This is where subwoofer takes care of it.. between 20Hz - 80 Hz/100 Hz.. With a crossover in AVR, there is no duplication of bass.. All of them routed to sub below 80/100 Hz..

Actually from the advice I have got from different A/V dealers, have left me confused.
Some has suggested that I should go for 2.1 setup as I will be sitting in just 6-7 feet away from my TV/Front Speakers and only 1 feet away from the wall (behind my back), surround speaker will of no good due to very limited distance & further surround speakers will create lot of echo due to design of the room.

Your room has limitations w.r.t to length, but that shouldn't be a discerning factor to dissuade you from surround experience..

Assuming you would be picking small BS/ satellite speakers and wall mounted, the distance between fronts & surrounds will be 6 ~ 7 feet, which is more than enough.. Actually when you watch a movie, you get immersed in sound from all sides rather than looking for a particular speaker..

There are some easy DIY solutions (or) brackets for surrounds to be mounted on rear wall (Behind your listening position) & still tilted to your listening position.. What i mean here is, rather than the speaker placed paralleled behind & away from your ears, you can tilt them towards your listening slightly for better performance..

On the other hand, few have told me surround setup is the way to go.

This is the way to go IMO.. Put a pair of speakers on ceiling & give yourself a chance to re-create that near perfect HT experience..

This is more of a technical topic, and needs some good understanding of acoustic terms.. Don't worry if you can't understand terms.. Just pick the essence of the article (two is better than one)..

Here is one articles from renowned subwoofer maker SVS - https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/75040195-why-go-dual

One more from audioholics - https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/two-subs
Please recommend some good dual subs.
This is the way to go IMO.. Put a pair of speakers on ceiling & give yourself a chance to re-create that near perfect HT experience..

Does 5.1.2 Atmos has any use apart from movies,since I am on limited budget for now, I want to first take care of gaming and music setup and than after some time buy more speakers for Atmos. I don't want to be in the position where is buy sub par 7 speakers and later regret.

PS: I haven't experienced Atmos so far, is it really as good as it is hyped?

Personally I think 5.1 or more is an overkill for that room, unless you are going to be the only person watching it. I would suggest getting bookshelf speakers and live with it for a month or so. This way you can get two high quality speakers instead of 5 or 6 low performance speakers. Also make sure you have enough room to place the speakers properly.

Does 5.1.2 Atmos has any use apart from movies

Yes.. You can use it for gaming too.. There are presets in AVR (Dts Neural X / Dolby Surround), that will re-create height information (speakers on ceiling) from existing stereo (games) / multi channel content from HD STB / BR Rips..

since I am on limited budget for now, I want to first take care of gaming and music setup and than after some time buy more speakers for Atmos. I don't want to be in the position where is buy sub par 7 speakers and later regret.

Only a HTIB speaker, that usually come with AVR + speaker package are sub par to any standalone speakers.. Otherwise, any seperate speakers that you can afford in your budget are just fine..

PS: I haven't experienced Atmos so far, is it really as good as it is hyped?

First, you need to put speakers in the right locations and second the source material (BR discs / BR Rips).. Even without Atmos / Dts X content, a normal 5.1 movies in 5.1.2 set-up (ceiling speakers) can enhance the whole movie watching experience..

Opinions / reading abt same can only give you understanding of how it will work.. A first hand experience, will help you feel right at home..

Denon 1400 AVR should cost me about 40K

I guess you have already finalised on Denon x 1400 for 40K, which is a good choice, also would be my suggestion for AVR..

that leaves me with 60K (Approx) for Sub and 2 stereo speaker, I am bit confused which combinations should I specifically look for best bang for bucks.

For the remaining 60K, here are some suggestions..

A 5.0 speaker package - Taga inmove series from ebay.in (25K)- https://www.ebay.in/itm/Taga-Harmon...663708?hash=item41c927335c:g:gYsAAOSwWWxY-OcB

Dual identical subs - Taga TSW 90 / 120 series subwoofer (abt 19K or less each)

TSW 90 - https://www.ebay.in/itm/Taga-Harmon...234134?hash=item41d351e616:g:iEwAAOSwoG5Z-0i3

TSW 120 - https://www.ebay.in/itm/Taga-Harmon...239030?hash=item41d351f936:g:rnIAAOSwT2dZ-0m~

Keep in mind, that there is no need to chase a sub with powerful specs.. If you would be adding a second sub, then that fact negates the extra power needed from single sub..

You will now have a 5.2 set-up in your 60K budget, which will serve your needs for gaming / music / movies..later when you have budget, you can add ceiling / height speakers..

Friend, 50k to 1L

Hi,

Given that you have a set budget and want to have the best.....

1. Get a decent AVR which has Atmos.....(if no budget for Atmos...get a normal 5.1)
  2. Get a pair of Bookshelf speakers (check the frequency range....50hz - 20khz as minimum) Check for mounting options
  3. Get a decent sub....12 inch will be good...
See how this setup runs for a while...use the Virtual mode on the AVR to enjoy pseudo surround effect.

Collect some more funds then add the remaining speakers.......

Brands to look at ....Boston Acoustics, Taga, BIC America, Polk, JBL, (Speakers)
AVR = Yamaha, Marantz, Denon etc.

Visit Profx stores...they stock Yamaha and Polk speakers...don't reveal your actual budget, audition the other T series also.....

They usually rope in 10% discount on overall sales......given your room size....you really don't need anything too big or too small....

Get a pair of Bookshelf speakers (check the frequency range....50hz - 20khz as minimum) Check for mounting options
Is wall mounting bookshelf a good option?

don't reveal your actual budget, audition the other T series also.....

They usually rope in 10% discount on overall sales......given your room size....you really don't need anything too big or too small....

Any specific reason for not revealing?

First, you need to put speakers in the right locations and second the source material (BR discs / BR Rips).. Even without Atmos / Dts X content, a normal 5.1 movies in 5.1.2 set-up (ceiling speakers) can enhance the whole movie watching experience..

So does that mean sound will come from Atmos/ height speakers even from 5.1 source like tatasky??

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back