HTiB for 25k for movies and gaming via PS3

oh yes, there is a huge difference between the subs of 3300 and 3400, this was also the reason y onkyo 3400 replaced 3300, according to onkyo store guys, there were some forums where people have reported that 3300 sub used to jump or reqd something heavy to be placed on top so that i will not jump and fall.

with regards to optical cable not supporting DTSMA - not sure entirely, becausei have connected a optical out from my Measy X5 media player to the onkyo receiver and i get DTS MA audio.

honestly i do not know if active and passive subs make a huge difference, especially since most of these HTIB's are entry level.

Ohh...dint know that. Thanks for the info. For me sub is important, as I want the setup mainly for movies.

I am not sure if the prices at which you bought 10 months back will be the street price now. Apparently, the costs have increased. The dealers are citing the increased $ x-rate as the cause.

If if that indeed is the case, and if you dont mind me asking, how is the dealer giving it for so less? Is he a whole-sale dealer or something?

Are you sure that 3300/3400 DTS MA on HDMI > JBL 140BK DD or DTS on optical? I have always read the opposite. I am, admittedly, a noob, so I don't know. Just want to be sure. I hope the blu-rays will still sound amazing while using JBL 140BK optical output.

EDIT: P.S. Does it have Audyssey dynamic eq?

I played Ice Age(didn't buy it, got it for free :cool:) Blu-Ray which has DTS MA audio using a sony blu-ray player for onkyo and my ps3 for JBL. The difference of the encoding was hardly noticeable, but JBL sounded much superior to Onkyo. My brother had the same opinion. The problem with onkyo is that first, it has a passive sub and second, its amp is dull. Harmaon-Kardon's amp is much brighter, and i was so impressed by it, that I bought another one to drive my telome piped music speakers. There's no doubt dts ma is better than normal dts or dolby digital, but in this case, due to the difference in sound quality, jbl sounds better in any case.

As for the audyssey dynamic eq, jbl does not have it.

I have been using Onko 3300 since last 3 2 months and have net experienced any sub woofer jump:eek:hyeah:. even at high volumes with lots of bass (one should use the sticker pads supplied with package on the SW feet) .

The subwoofers of Onkyo 3300 (SKW-380) and 3400 (SKW-390) are same, having same dimensions, weight, frequency and power handling capacities as under (taken from Onkyo's site)-

Subwoofer SKW -390 (3400)/SKW - 380 (3300)
Max. Input Power: 130 W
Impedance: 6 Ohms
Frequency Response: 30 Hz150 Hz
WHD: 295 x 345 x 368 mm
Weight: 6.4 kg

AFIK, there is difference of only one extra HDMI and front inputs. IMO, if 3300 is available at around 20/21K, it is a good buy.

I played Ice Age(didn't buy it, got it for free :cool:) Blu-Ray which has DTS MA audio using a sony blu-ray player for onkyo and my ps3 for JBL. The difference of the encoding was hardly noticeable, but JBL sounded much superior to Onkyo. My brother had the same opinion. The problem with onkyo is that first, it has a passive sub and second, its amp is dull. Harmaon-Kardon's amp is much brighter, and i was so impressed by it, that I bought another one to drive my telome piped music speakers. There's no doubt dts ma is better than normal dts or dolby digital, but in this case, due to the difference in sound quality, jbl sounds better in any case.

As for the audyssey dynamic eq, jbl does not have it.

sorry for my pessimism here but I have been reading about this system after you suggested. But I have read at many places (including this forum) that people say don't buy an outdated AVR. People are really up in arms against that. Many people swear against buying HK AVR at all. Though it is sometimes recommended for music. But music is almost non-existent on my priorities.

I am all confused. :confused:

I have been using Onko 3300 since last 3 2 months and have net experienced any sub woofer jump:eek:hyeah:. even at high volumes with lots of bass (one should use the sticker pads supplied with package on the SW feet) .

The subwoofers of Onkyo 3300 (SKW-380) and 3400 (SKW-390) are same, having same dimensions, weight, frequency and power handling capacities as under (taken from Onkyo's site)-

Subwoofer SKW -390 (3400)/SKW - 380 (3300)
Max. Input Power: 130 W
Impedance: 6 Ohms
Frequency Response: 30 Hz150 Hz
WHD: 295 x 345 x 368 mm
Weight: 6.4 kg

AFIK, there is difference of only one extra HDMI and front inputs. IMO, if 3300 is available at around 20/21K, it is a good buy.

How is performance in movies. With blu-ray, if you have tried that. I want thunderous sound and bass. Is it able to blow you away by sheer force and quality?

How is performance in movies. With blu-ray, if you have tried that. I want thunderous sound and bass. Is it able to blow you away by sheer force and quality?
Mayank,

3300 or 3400 or for that matter 3500 does not have enough Bass, it's just an 8" Sub.

When I auditioned it, It sounded good. But If you really want to shake your house, It Ain't gonna do it..!

Hi Mayank,

My friend has 3300 and I have JBL 200.5 BK with Denon 1611,There is definately huge difference regarding Bass between Onkyo and JBL,If you want dynamic Bass then must go for JBL speakers.Recently I bought PS3 and connected with AVR it was an awesome game experience with Bass of JBL

Thanks

sorry for my pessimism here but I have been reading about this system after you suggested. But I have read at many places (including this forum) that people say don't buy an outdated AVR. People are really up in arms against that. Many people swear against buying HK AVR at all. Though it is sometimes recommended for music. But music is almost non-existent on my priorities.

I am all confused. :confused:

Let your ears be the judge. You audition both the systems and focus particularly on sound. Choose the one which sounds better to you. There's no point in digging more reviews as you'll get more confused.

So I auditioned a lot of HTiBs and AVR and speaker setups today.

First at Reliance Digital:

1. JBL Cinema 300 + HK 134: 20k+20k = 40k. He offered me a discount of ~3%.
Don't know if the setup wasn't right or what, but the sound was not good. Could not feel any bass. It was in the open so probably the effect died but still, dint get what I was hoping for in JBL 300.

2. Pioneer VSX 519V: 18k (I can again get a 3% discount)
These sounded better than HK 134 + JBL 300.

Then we went inside the audition room.

3. Here, I listened to Polk Audio RM 6750 connected to Denon 1312. . They sounded real good. Bass was good for the movies he played. But the rear speakers were not connected. :| He quoted Rs. 25,888.

4. Denon 1312 AVR: 24k

5. JAMO S 426HCS (not sure of the model) 21,800. I liked the speakers. Good for movies I guess

Then I went to Onkyo showroom in MGF mall. The guy there was very nice and looked like he was actually interested in giving auditions, unlike Reliance Digital guys who din't seem to know what to do with the speakers and AVR at all.

1. Here I listened to Onkyo HTS 3400. Watched a few blu ray clips. I was completely pleasantly surprised by the performance. Sounded really really good. Sub was placed adjacent to the sofa (facing me), so that might have added to the bass effects, but it was a good show for the price I had in mind for the 3400. But I found centre speaker to be below par. The dialogues were not that clear. But it still was the best of what I listened to so far.

But here is the deal breaker. He quoted same price for 3400 and 3500. On MRP of 35k, he gave me a price of 38k, which on some more bargaining only went down to 27k. I asked him for a better price of 3400, but he said no.

Then I asked him about 3300, he said he cant get it for me. And he also said there is a HUGE difference between the sound quality of 3300 and 3400. So even though I liked 3400 very much, I am now skeptical of picking up 3300 for 22k. What do you guys say? Is it like that? Is there noticeable difference between the two? Or is it just dealer speak?

2. Then I went to the adjacent shop which had Denon, HK, and many others too. I listened to HK AVR 134 attached to JBL 140BK. And the sound was pathetic. I am pretty sure there was a problem with the setup as ak47 highly recommended these. There was no bass at all. The sound was very very harsh, almost like screeching. So I dont think it was a proper setup. The bass should have been better than 3400 as this is an active sub.

Also listened to some HK speaker for 50k. They were good but not what you would expect for 50k. Also above my budget.

Anyway, the price he gave was for HK AVR 134+ JBL 140BK is 30k.

Denon 1312 AVR he quoted for 25k. This store is also owned by the same Onkyo person 2 stores away. But the audition experience was very different.

Long story short:
- HK 134 + JBL 300: 40k. Sound was bad, no bass, probably poor setup/ open environment
- HK AVR 134 + JBL 140BK: 30k: Very harsh, screeching sound and (surprisingly) very poor bass; probably bad setup.
- Denon 1312 + Polk Audio RX 6750: Good sound, good bass, probably could have been better if rear speakers were properly connected.
- Onkyo 3400/3500: 27k: Great experience, but vocals/ dialogues were not impressive, sub was great. Problem here is between choosing 3300 or 3400. I dont want to spend 5k extra for just a USB port. But if the sound difference b/w 3300 and 3400/3500 is huge, there is no point in getting 3300.

BTW I also listened to some Onkyo 7.1 at Reliance Digital. It was wow. Presumably it was 5300/5400, which is like ~50-55k. So above my budget/ cant buy. But it was great.

Now what do you guys say?

Hi All,

I finally managed to get some more auditions around Gurgaon yesterday.

1. In MGF mall, i heard Jamo speakers with Denon 1312, sound was good but the speakers were small and therefore did not justify the price of 42 k (only for speakers).

2. Went to Onkyo shop again to confirm the price of 3400, as I had doubts since Mayank again quoted a price of 28K. However, I was happy to know that the price for the system is still 25K and its a great value at that price.

Mayank - you shoud bargain more on this as its not 28K at all.

3. Went to Bass n Treble in sec-31. Had difiiculties finding it since the entry is small and no one seems to be aware of its presence (not even Just-dial).

There I auditioned the BEST SYSTEM I have heard ever!!! The guy was exetremely knowledgable and helpful (he is probably the owner too..).

I auditioned Denon 1312 with Pold Audio tower speakers for Gladiator. And the experience was out of this world!!! In the fighting scene in arena, every tone, dialougue, background rumbling was detailed and coming from the correct direction, unbelievable clarity and great bass (where required).

Now the system was surely way above my budget, but he quoted me great prices too.

Here are the prices:

Denon 1312 - 21K (I think its a great price!) OR
Denon 1612 - 26K (again great price)

Polk Audio TSI 300 (frnt speakers) - around 21 K
Polk SW - 12K
Polk Centre CS10 - 9K
Polk Surr speaketrs - 10 K

Overall package he said should be within 50 K and combining Denon its 70K!!

He also suggested that in case budget is an issue, then I can take Denon + Polk small speaker package in 40K total. I am yet to audition that though.

But guys, let me know your thoughts on the prices as I felt its a very good deal.

Today, I am also planning to go to Delh;i to see some more combo's, will update everyone if I manage to do so..:)

@kaustav dude the price 25k is for display piece, not a brand new one. He told me that when I asked him about a friend of mine being given a better price of 25 k. He offered me the same, but for the display piece.

Nope dude.

I asked him specifically for that. he showed me the packed box outside the audition room and said only few such boxes left.

Very strange. Guess I'll have to take you to get that price! Else I'll wait for 3400 to show up in reliance digital/croma. Know any reliance or croma store having 3400 in stock?

Dotn think so. Thay stock mostly outdated omdels. Checked Croma yesterday at Mega mall, they had 330 and Yamaha 294 both around 21-22 K.

Hey, do you know good audio shops in around South delhi?

Lakozy in lajpat nagar... Also there is a thread here with a few good names, can't find it for you as I am on mobile. Search the forum.

Dotn think so. Thay stock mostly outdated omdels. Checked Croma yesterday at Mega mall, they had 330 and Yamaha 294 both around 21-22 K.

Hey, do you know good audio shops in around South delhi?

Here is the thread: http://www.hifivision.com/authorised-dealers/2061-dealers-delhi.html
Check it out, if you haven't. Many members recommend Denny @ bass n trebkle, Dwarka.

May be we can go to audition sometime? I myself don't have much idea about different brands and pricing, so may be can use some advice.

BTW whats your budget?

I am getting a 3300 for 20900 (5% off on display price of 22k). The box is not sealed pack. The croma guy is saying they opened the piece for someone and they dint buy it. Ofcourse, the warranty etc will all be there. Should I pick it up? If yes, what should I look for when picking this particular piece?

Hi Mayank,

Denny is the guy in Bass n Treble, I met him last weekend. Really nice guy with good knowledge and advice.

I would suggest you to visit his store once before deciding.

Like you, my initial budget was around 25-30 K, but now I am thinking of increasing it a bit only if I can get a real good AVR (upgradable) and decent speakers.

For 3300, I am not sure if its the Croma in Mega mall, if yes then I think thats an old system which they used for display and demo. I would not advice you to buy if thats the case.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back