HTiB for 25k for movies and gaming via PS3

Hi Mayank,

Denny is the guy in Bass n Treble, I met him last weekend. Really nice guy with good knowledge and advice.

I would suggest you to visit his store once before deciding.

Like you, my initial budget was around 25-30 K, but now I am thinking of increasing it a bit only if I can get a real good AVR (upgradable) and decent speakers.

For 3300, I am not sure if its the Croma in Mega mall, if yes then I think thats an old system which they used for display and demo. I would not advice you to buy if thats the case.

No, its not Mega mall. Its not a demo piece. The demo piece is different. This they claim was shown to a customer who, at the end, dint buy it. Should I go ahead if its not a display piece? If its not demo piece, how do I make sure if its faulty or not?

I dont think I can go beyond 25k, so no point in visiting Denny. :(

Mayank,

3300 or 3400 or for that matter 3500 does not have enough Bass, it's just an 8" Sub.

When I auditioned it, It sounded good. But If you really want to shake your house, It Ain't gonna do it..!

I completely DISAGREE with the fact that Onkyo can not shake your house with heavy bass and sound. I personally own a Onkyo 3400 home theater from last one month and I must say ITS sound absolutely fantastic. The bass it produce from its passive subwoofer literally rattles my entire apartment (I already got 'feedback' from my other flat owners on this that it shakes the entire building)...Trust me I am not exaggerating at all. I am writing whatever I have experienced so far..

Do not go by the fact that 3400 does not have passive subwoofer so it cannot produce enough and sufficient thunderous bass. It actually can blow out your ears and can fill every corner of your house with heavy bass by its passive sub..Its completely foolish conception that only a active sub woofer can produce good bass.

I have auditioned JBL speakers with Harman Kardon AVR too. Its neither sounds bad at all. It is also capable of producing very good sound..But I cant say it can beat Onkyo...Mind one thing that JBL/HK cost you around 60K without having HD audio or Auddessy whereas Onkyo cost only 25K and can decode HD audio i.e - DTS HD MA/Dolby True HD and Audyssy Dynamic Eq/Vol..

Cheers....

Congratulations on your purchase mayank :)

Now let us know your feedback on the system and experience...

hi
I also short listed DENON 1312 & Onkyo 3500 & took the demo at HT stores he is quoted 29900 for 1312 XP & Modren world dommlur, He is quoting 28K for 1312 as well as 3500. I took a demo of 1312, wateched a trailer of kill bill and cliffhanger. its awesome, after discussing with him regarding features of 1312 & took a demo of 7.1 upgradation and active subwoofer difference i am planning to go for denon 1312.dear all pls help me where can i get the better price in bangalore !!
thanks in advance....

Hi
Thaks, The HTS is quoting 29K, I have checked 1612 Receiver price in Shopyourworld/Amazon it is around 23K, but I don't know about delivery & Quality, sinc i have not done any online shopping.Any suggessions Pls
Thanks

Hi All,

The thread seems to have dried up after thread owners purchase. However, I am still waiting to get his feedback on the system.

Meanwhile, I have zeroed in on few options:

AVR: Denon 1612 or Onkyo 3500/5400
Speaker packages (5.1): Polk Audio TSi300 combo OR ETC 5.1 OR Wharfedale 9.5

Overall, I have increased my budget to about 40-45 K for the overall package.

Now I have gone through a lot of posts from all of you and learnt a great deal about speakers/AVRs etc. But I am still confused, here is why:

- My need is only for movies and PS3, and I can go a great length to ensure the best movie watching experience. However, I am still not sure which AVR+speaker combo in my budget would best fit my requirements.

- I wouldnt use the system for music, and I do prefer high bass for movie sound effects, but not sure which combo would give me the best listening experience. Its difficult to explain what I mean here, but for instance I do not want such a heavy bass which distorts the original sound too much, but at the same time I wouldnt like a system which is soft towards the sound effects. To give you an example, in the Jurassic Park sequence where the actors hear the heavy footsteps of the approaching dyno...I want that exactly replicated like movie hall in my room.

- There are lot of different.new AVRs with added finctionality like airplay etc., but I am not interested in them as my TV and PS3 both can handle these things. I am only interested in pure video and sound capabilities.

Now guys, please help me out with your valuable comments on this one. Also, let me know if at all a good system is possible in this range or not. I know there is an option of building the system step by step, but I am being termed 'impatient' by many since childhood :).

Hoping to hear from all the experts and owners soon.

Cheers!

Meanwhile, I have zeroed in on few options:

AVR: Denon 1612 or Onkyo 3500/5400
Speaker packages (5.1): Polk Audio TSi300 combo OR ETC 5.1 OR Wharfedale 9.5

Denon 1612 and Onkyo 3400/3500 are two different entities. Denon 1612 is an AVR only where as Onkyo 3400/3500 is a complete HT system with AVR and speakers. Since you have a budget of 45K, skip the Onkyo HTiB and buy the AVR Denon 1612 with matching 5.1 speakers.

Thanks Baiju,

I know that Onkyo is a complete package. But heard some good reviews for Onkyo 5400, which is comparable with Denon 1612 + speakers at least in the price range. Since My reqmt is only for movies, was wondering which package would be better.

I can see you have Denon 1612, so which speaker package are you using? And for my needs (movies with good bass), would you suggest a Polk Audio package or ETC/Wharfedale?

As for Wharfedale - I am not sure where can i find dealers in Delhi/NCR for audition.

Let me know you views on this.

I can see you have Denon 1612, so which speaker package are you using? And for my needs (movies with good bass), would you suggest a Polk Audio package or ETC/Wharfedale?

As for Wharfedale - I am not sure where can i find dealers in Delhi/NCR for audition.

I have Denon 1612, but at present using 5.1 speakers of a cheap HT. I will soon upgrade my speakers. I can't suggest a particular brand as I haven't demoed any of them. I am looking for a 5.1 package rather than separate BS, sub route. Models I have shortlisted are Polk TL1600, Boston Acoustics A2310 or Soundware XS etc.

Guys I'm in the 25K soup for a HT.

Which is better between Onkyo 3400/3500 and JBL Cinesystem 140 BK?

@ak47 could you send me the number of the authorized JBL dealer you mentioned?

mjumrani

Hi pls help
where i can Buy Denon 1312 XP in bangalore ?

No other place better than HTstore. I bought Denon 1312xp from Mr lokesh last year and i got a good deal. He usually will give discount or good deal if you pay by cash and say you don't want the freebie universal remote with the set. Just 2 months in to ownership, i blew my subwoofer due to power issues, One call to Mr lokesh, he put me on to Denon support in chennai, the engineer came next day, replaced the whole Amp power unit (not just the blown part) and till date no issues.

The whole Denon experience has been superb so far, i have a samsung 7000 led 3d 46 incher with PS3 and Airtel HD dth hooked on to it, be it games, movies, denon keeps me satisfied. You will have to play around with settings to get optimal sound to your liking.

Main advantage of denon over onkyo Htibs:
1. Active subwoofer: You can upgrade your sub later along with speakers if you want, with onkyo you can't.

2. 7.1 expandable: Denon 1312 amp has 7.1 expandable capability, just plug in two powered speakers and you get 7.1! Onkyo is 5.1

3. all channels are individual chips vs integrated chip in entry level onkyo/yamaha: This is important, denon 1312 features same chip used in higher amps of denon, while yamaha and onkyo don't. Hence denon gives you better sound/feel. go through the PPT in HT store website or google for 1312 reviews.

Disadvantage is there is no autosetup/auddessy setup, you have to spend time in playing with settings to get desired sound.

Am more than happy with Denon1312xp (comes with denon speakers and amp) Looks classy, feels great and performs like a workhorse. Don't forget to add a good stabilizer (am using Vguard crystal)

Talk to Mr lokesh and compare Denon 1312/onkyo3400/Yamaha 296 he wil tell you technical aspects of these. While you may shell out 4k more than onkyo or yamaha, you get better quality and satisfaction and future ready set (7.1)

Also note that Denon supports 3d/Dolbydigital/DTS/DTSMA and what not, just like it's competitors, additionally has active powered sub woofer/7.1 upgradability and superior chipset than competitors in entry level HTIB range.

Thanks Baiju,

I know that Onkyo is a complete package. But heard some good reviews for Onkyo 5400, which is comparable with Denon 1612 + speakers at least in the price range. Since My reqmt is only for movies, was wondering which package would be better.

I believe these 2 dealers have wharfedale for audition:

BASS 'n' TREBLE (for Wharfedale, Quad, Phil Jones, DAC, Byford Audio,
Vueguard)
F-301 / F-302, Aditya Complex, Plot no. 4, Sec 10, Main Market,
Opp. Dwarka Sports Complex, Dwarka, New Delhi-110078.
Tel: 9999016124. Email: [email protected]

RHYTHM CORNER (for Wharfedale, DAC)
E - 3 South Extension - II (Basement), New Delhi-110049.
Tel: 9810016701, (011) 26257736, 26252669. Email: [email protected]
Contact Person: Puneet Mirchandani

I would also suggest you go with Denon 1612. I am not sure about the speakers as never researched in this range. And refrain from buying Onkyo 3400 or 3500 as its sound quality is not that good, although it is loaded with features. If you're really looking at the ~25k range, i suggest JBL SCS140BK+AVR 134. This system is not as loaded as 3400 or 3500 in terms of features(it doesn't even have HDMI audio processing), but it gives a much better sound......

No other place better than HTstore. I bought Denon 1312xp from Mr lokesh last year and i got a good deal. He usually will give discount or good deal if you pay by cash and say you don't want the freebie universal remote with the set. Just 2 months in to ownership, i blew my subwoofer due to power issues, One call to Mr lokesh, he put me on to Denon support in chennai, the engineer came next day, replaced the whole Amp power unit (not just the blown part) and till date no issues.

The whole Denon experience has been superb so far, i have a samsung 7000 led 3d 46 incher with PS3 and Airtel HD dth hooked on to it, be it games, movies, denon keeps me satisfied. You will have to play around with settings to get optimal sound to your liking.

Main advantage of denon over onkyo Htibs:
1. Active subwoofer: You can upgrade your sub later along with speakers if you want, with onkyo you can't.

2. 7.1 expandable: Denon 1312 amp has 7.1 expandable capability, just plug in two powered speakers and you get 7.1! Onkyo is 5.1

3. all channels are individual chips vs integrated chip in entry level onkyo/yamaha: This is important, denon 1312 features same chip used in higher amps of denon, while yamaha and onkyo don't. Hence denon gives you better sound/feel. go through the PPT in HT store website or google for 1312 reviews.

Disadvantage is there is no autosetup/auddessy setup, you have to spend time in playing with settings to get desired sound.

Am more than happy with Denon1312xp (comes with denon speakers and amp) Looks classy, feels great and performs like a workhorse. Don't forget to add a good stabilizer (am using Vguard crystal)

Talk to Mr lokesh and compare Denon 1312/onkyo3400/Yamaha 296 he wil tell you technical aspects of these. While you may shell out 4k more than onkyo or yamaha, you get better quality and satisfaction and future ready set (7.1)

Also note that Denon supports 3d/Dolbydigital/DTS/DTSMA and what not, just like it's competitors, additionally has active powered sub woofer/7.1 upgradability and superior chipset than competitors in entry level HTIB range.

Hi
I spoke to Mr. lokesh & visited his branch office at rajajingar & took the demo, lot of + points when comapre to Onkyo 3500 ,my worry is denon 1312 has got only one optical in & 1 coaxial I/P,also there is no USB,(Onkyo 3500 has got all)it is 7.1 compatable but you need 2 powered speakers. price is 29 K fixed !!can u tell any one about modren world...
need help!!

Guys I'm in the 25K soup for a HT.

Which is better between Onkyo 3400/3500 and JBL Cinesystem 140 BK?

@ak47 could you send me the number of the authorized JBL dealer you mentioned?

mjumrani

Contact details sent on your mail.

I find Cinesystem 140 BK much better sounding than Onkyo 3400. The reason is it handles highs very well as compared to Onkyo and the sub-wooofer it has will blow onkyo's passive one any day. But, Onkyo 3400 has more features than 140 BK like HDMI audio processing and Dolby HD support. It all depends on what you want more, sound or features.....

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back