Huge Wharfdales

JDS85

Hi there, Im new here I signed up to hopefully get some info regarding a pair of huge speakers I have. all I know is there from the 60's and huge. The backs are filled with sand and the components are 15'' woofer 8'' mid and 3'' tweet. these things are about 4 feet tall and 2.5 feet deep. Id like to know what model these are or if there somebodys homemade creation.

15 woofer w15/rs 13500 lines
8 mid super 8/rs/dd 14500 lines { stickers on back }
3 tweet super 3 14500 lines

Thanks for the help
Jeff

Attachments

• WHRF 1.jpg
    WHRF 1.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 261
  • WHRF 2.jpg
    WHRF 2.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 259
  • WHRF 3.jpg
    WHRF 3.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 259
  • WHRF 4.jpg
    WHRF 4.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 261
  • WHRF 5.jpg
    WHRF 5.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 261
Not to big on audio but I googled la scala and ya they are kinda similar. Anybody seen these things before????

Yes, One of my friend was using Klipsch La Scala and heard that but he sold it 6 months back for 75-80K.

Not to big on audio but I googled la scala and ya they are kinda similar. Anybody seen these things before????

Does it have the med and tweeter facing upward? Weird.

Looks like a DIY speaker using the component "Wharfedale Crossover Network HS/400/3". There seems to be a label pinned at the back - what's printed on there?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-W...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

A crossover network is a circuit that splits the signal into different frequency bands, so you can can pass the appropriate frequency band to each speaker.

Last edited:
The tag in the back is for the W15/RS. I guess these things are junk then so im gonna pull the speakers and scrap the boxes. hopefully the speakers are worth something.

Dismantle and keep if the wood is good. As a whole you can consider as junk.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Hi,

Wharfedales from that period (1960's) are not junk especially the ones with sandfilled baffles.Listen to them before you remove the drivers.

The speakers look to have big alnico magnets .The drivers are similar to the ones used in the Wharfedale Airedale ,but in a cabinet that seems to be based on the Karlson cabinets.

Wharfedale Airedale on thevintageknob.org

karlson cabinet - Google Search

Does it have the med and tweeter facing upward? Weird.

Not weird. It was Briggs attempt at omnidirectional sound . Hey the Linn Isobariks also had upward firing mids and tweeters.

The OP should post his find on AudioKarma ,there are many vintage Wharfedale speaker experts over there.

Regards
Rajiv

Just googled the karlson link and those wooden curtains are similar to what mine had on them but me being a stupid kid back when I got them took them off. I don't have time to use these monsters and am looking to get rid of them, that's why I'm trying to find some info on them. You say I should post this on audiokarma?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back