I am looking to buy new tv, but got confused in LED or Plasma

nkchokshi

Hi all.

I am from Ahmedabad. I am new member at this forum. I am looking to buy a new TV. my budget is from 50k to 80k. I am actually confused in Plasma or LED . I am currently using samsung 32inch LCD tv, bought in 2010. time to replace it.

I have seen Samsung F5500 plasma 50inch. in reliance digital. Around 76k. But i want to know the latest deals if any one got it, cheaper.

I actually liked the plasma overall, mainly because of the screen size of 50 inch, while i can get 42inch led. in my budget.

But i saw users complains and also some good reviews of plasma. So if any current users of F5500, can give me feedback of performance, and any issues on high usage.

^^ There is separate 51F5500 owners' thread in this forum, you would find a lot of happy people there :).

If you are okay with Plasma, then why not? It would still give you the best VFM, at minimal cost (inch/rupee), and of course outstanding PQ in controlled environment.

As long as you can regulate and control what and how you watch during the initial period (break-in), you can go for plasma, since you say you liked the f5500 overall.

In spite of all the advantages of plasma, the future of plasma TV itself is uncertain with Panasonic backing out. That makes Samsung the only major player in plasma TV. I hv my own doubt about how long Samsung is going to continue making them.

So keeping this in mind, u can decide accordingly.

Cheers.
Pmkpal

As long as you can regulate and control what and how you watch during the initial period (break-in), you can go for plasma, since you say you liked the f5500 overall.

What is break in time. I asked dealer, but I was not sure with term
I could not ask him more.

dont burn ur money in plasma ..later be dissastified like other members in the forum

always buy led with deepest blacks .. go for sony 700b or samsung f6400

This is the first time @invisible mentioned about Samsung F6400 :D

I vote for plasma too, get an extended warranty too. Break-in for 200hrs, at least. And keep all the settings low :)

Am a happy plasma user since last 2 years. I only use to watch movies, and played burn in / break in slides on it for the first 200 hrs or so (8 to 10 hrs a day) in the first month. As far as picture quality for watching movies is concerned plasma's will beat regular LCD's LED's hands down. Also IMHO screen size makes a very big difference and a 50" screen is substantially bigger than a 42" . I know as i upgraded from a 42 " plasma to a 50.

In spite of all the advantages of plasma, the future of plasma TV itself is uncertain with Panasonic backing out. That makes Samsung the only major player in plasma TV. I hv my own doubt about how long Samsung is going to continue making them.

So keeping this in mind, u can decide accordingly.

Cheers.
Pmkpal

You missed another big manufacturer of Plasma... LG.. They do still have plasma TV's & they will be producing them for undisclosed period of time...

Hi all.

I am from Ahmedabad. I am new member at this forum. I am looking to buy a new TV. my budget is from 50k to 80k. I am actually confused in Plasma or LED . I am currently using samsung 32inch LCD tv, bought in 2010. time to replace it.

I have seen Samsung F5500 plasma 50inch. in reliance digital. Around 76k. But i want to know the latest deals if any one got it, cheaper.

I actually liked the plasma overall, mainly because of the screen size of 50 inch, while i can get 42inch led. in my budget.

But i saw users complains and also some good reviews of plasma. So if any current users of F5500, can give me feedback of performance, and any issues on high usage.

Samsung 51F5500 is a beautiful plasma for the money.... Try to get negotiate the price, if they don't budge ask them for freebies like blu ray player (or) some other electronic item around same price...

The last time i checked the best pricing was around 70K......

I own Samsung Plasma 51D5500 since 2011, and have recently purchased 42'Sony W700B LED.
If you truly want value for your money den go with Samsung Plasma, though do consider things such as viewing distance before you finalize on the screen size. My 51 inch Plasma screen is used for d living room, while d 42 inch Sony LED is for d bed. Plasma would be preferred if your viewing distance is not very short. And ignore d comments from LED fanboys regarding burn in issues, etc; this is 2014, the plasmas evolved too. And do remember Plasma's have a better lifespan dan LED/LCD's!!

Hi guys, what is the terms of DVR tuner. I mean I read on Samsung f5500 plasma specification.
Does it has a card slot, like we have in Tata sky or other dish set-top box. To read that DVR card?

panasonic plasma 50 in XD series VT series--all specs avl on the net
dont even think of anything else
using since 6 years

There should not be any confusion. All the big guns(read Panasonic/Samsung/LG) are pulling plug from Plasma production. So there is huge scarecity of good plasma in the market now.

Therefore only option left is LED as of now. The technology which can compare with plasma black level is OLED but those TVs are out of reach from common man like me for time being. OLED price will definitely come down within 4-5 years. Till then LED is the only choice we have.

Hi all.

Hi,
do not listen to all the negative comments, remember no matter what you buy there will be people always trying to tell you otherwise. Samsung F5500 is an excellent plasma tv, one of the best in the market for the price. You should negotiate the price and grab it. Plasma technology ceases to exist or stands to live is irrelevant to people who want the best in picture quality. People who want the BEST tv's, still buy Panasonic ST, GT, VT, ZT and Samsung F8500. I don't think that should be a limiting factor.
And yes, LEDs do better in brighter ambient light and many have even managed to reach plasma like picture quality at a higher price, but fact remains plasma will always serve as a yardstick to measure picture quality, black levels, motion blur, etc........

Correct. The scarcity of Full HD Plasma Panels in the market today should be seen as all the more reason to get one before it's all over. Even if good things don't last long, try to grab one while it is there.

Hi, Guys thank you for all your support and guidance, yesterday i have purchased Samsung LED 6800 50 Inch. Which is excellent and the black levels are so perfect just like plasma, and the visuals are just awesome.
I bought this led as i was getting good discount otherwise i was actually paying for Plasma F5500. and the sales guy gave me an offer.

Now for those who want to buy plasma F5500, This one is an excellent choice, I would totally advice if someone is looking to buy TV under 70K - 80K. with 51 inch. which is not possible in any brand with good quality, Just a one down point though, i found that the demo people had Airtel HD, and the logo was burned on screen as it was a static image.

I asked them to run a white wash for 1 hour and i was literally sitting there to see if it goes out, but it was not. And that was a deal breaker for me, as at my home, the cable runs like all day. I know there are some guys here don't face this issue, but this is just a pointer to look for. Just check this before you purchase. Other wise this plasma F5500 is an excellent choice with best PQ.

About LED F6800 50" , one of the best TVs i came across. Stunning PQ, after calibrating colors its even giving the best performance. I checked Sony's W850 50" nice TV, but it didn't had the processor as per the demo guys at sony world, that was a bit drawback. I think now the processor is essential since it helps to load content, and helps TV's AV functionality, on 50 Inch tvs. So i think all should look for it. Even the plasma F5500 has it, and thats why i said its an excellent tv with all features.

Anyways, guys thanks all for suggestions, that really helped.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back