I want to understand, buy/build a good HT system (50K - 1L). Please help.

kapilg

Hey Friends,

I want to have a good Home Theater system as per below details

1) Use - Music and Movies (with Plasma TV)
2) Budget - Rs 50,000 - 1 Lakh
3) Homework - Still exploring details on various sites. Initially wanted to have a Bose Lifestyle system, then on various sites, got to know that I am naive and there are far better options available (Klipshe, Denon, Boston, Polk Audio.....)
4) Location - Ultimately to be used in Ludhiana
5) Sourcing options - Ludhiana , New Delhi, USA (If get cheaper in New York)
6) Help needed from you experts

6.a) Want to understand what are various components of a home theater with their importance.
6.b) In the price range as mentioned above, is a HTIB a better option or should I try to build one.
6.c) If I try to build one, will it be cheaper (or a better system in same price). If yes, are these individual components available in USA (I often travel to NY) at bhphotovideo.com or JR.com, as it may be cheaper in USA.
6.d) Where can I buy, explore options in Ludhiana / New Delhi.
6.e) Which system / Configuration you suggest as experts.
6.f) How much should I pay for individual components / HTIB to have a fair deal.

THANKS. I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR ADVICE.

Hi Guys,

Did some forum research. Must say, GREAT INFORMATION. I am now in a better position to understand the HT thing.

Here is what I have finalised till now

1) Denon 2310 (from USA. I see the price as USD 550 at nextag.com, BTW anyone has any experience with this site?).

Now want to finalize on speakers. Can anyone suggest how should I choose it. Any standard options availabe for Denon 2310 (Cheapest to costliest). As this AVR will cost around 30K, I can spend 60K on speakers (10K for player). Please suggest. In the meanwhile my exploration is on !!!

For 60k if you want a full 5.1 package, you would have come across usual suspects on the threads on the forum, like mission mvds package, qa 1000 cinema, ca sirocco package, wharf 10hcp etc. Try and audition these.
Else buy a set of great fronts for the budget and buy the other pieces as you can spend again.

Thanks,
Good idea.
Which are the best front speakers for AVR Denon 2310. Lets say if I buy one by one, what is the best configuration available for this AVR, considering no price issue for the moment.
Pls suggest.

Thanks,
Lets say if I buy one by one, what is the best configuration available for this AVR, considering no price issue for the moment.
Pls suggest.

Buddy

I think you are asking for trouble...

In the above case what you have written...
There are many brands that can be suggested, "If you are removing the 'No Price Issue' Tag"

So, i think its better, you stick to your nearby budget...Otherwise, the suggestion may Start off your 10yrs down the lane budget...:p

Mridul,
I got it. Lets say Speakers +sub to come in max 60K - 80K. What are the options for AVR 3210.

What I could research till now, below is the combination that I have in mind

Denon 2310 (Rs 28000 from USA)
Player Denon BDP 1610 (Rs 19000 from USA)

Front Polk Audio Rti A5 (Rs 44000 as per Profx site)
Center KEF IQ 60C (Rs 29900 as per Profx site)
Surround Fxi A4 (Rs 21900 as per Profx site)
Sub Polk Audio PSW125 (Rs 18500 as per Profx site)
Cables (Rs 10000)

THis comes to be Rs 170000. But I think there is a good scope in speakers. What do you guys think about

1) Combination
2) Alternates
3) Prices of speakers ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Its interesting to see how your budget went from 50k to 1 Lac to now 1.7 lac!

By the way have you considered the customs angle on the USA purchases?
Have you also considered the mismatch in the voltages and frequencies in the two electric supplies? (220V vs. 110 V and more importantly, 50Hz vs. 60 Hz). Though there are any no. of HFV members who are running their US imports on transformers etc. But do allocate some money for this too, and dont buy cheap equipment on this front. (In one of the videos on Greek Audiophiles, one geek said that half the sound is 'clean' electricity!)

Happy hunting..

BTW I am running a Denon 1909 with a pair of Wharfedale 9.6 towers and Wharfedale SW150 sub and am very happy. See if this helps: http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...ers-speakers-buy-my-new-plasma.html#post93615

just an FYI, nextag.com is not a reseller themselves.. they will search the product at various sites so u can compare their prices..

Guys,
I know the budget has increased. But you experts only told me that its good to build a HT over a period if money is a constraint.

BTW initially I thought Rs 1 Lac is a decent amount, However as I read various threads, I thought its better to have a good system over a period than having a compromise. Thats why the increase.

Anyways, how help me on this

1) I know about voltage difference.
2) Not much clear on freq. issue.
3) The prices of speakers should be lower than whats written on website of PROFX.
4) I am using nextag only for price comparison. Ofcource I will source it from a good seller.

Thanks all. Now pls help me move forward....

Guys,

I know the budget has increased. But you experts only told me that its good to build a HT over a period if money is a constraint.

BTW initially I thought Rs 1 Lac is a decent amount, However as I read various threads, I thought its better to have a good system over a period than having a compromise. Thats why the increase.

Anyways, now help me on this

1) I know about voltage difference. Which converter do you suggest?
2) Not much clear on freq. issue. Please explain. What will go with Denon 2310.
3) The prices of speakers should be lower than whats written on website of PROFX. Any idea ?
4) I am using nextag only for price comparison. Ofcource I will source it from a good seller.

Thanks all. Now pls help me move forward....

Kapil

Thats a good step you have taken...

Just keep an eye on the Customs Duty, as your in total equipment is more than 40K, and you are not even travelling, so on this complete amount, check out how much you are ending up by payin Freight Customs, etc...Because at last they will land up all without warranty...

Then, go to brands, and audition the speakers...
And post your experience..
Dont take any hanky panky immediate decision...

Thanks for the immediate response.

1) We can bring goods worth 25K duty free. I travel very frequently and also with few Colleagues so customs duty is not a problem.
2) I cant audition as I am in ludhiana and not many options available here.
3) May be once I can visit to PROFX in Delhi but thats only I can do for audition.
4) Thats why need help of yo experts in finalization of configuration.

Thanks.

Kapilg, if you travel frequently to the US, then its the best opportunity for you to audition a wide variety of stuff and actually find what you like.
In one of your posts you have asked us to recommend speakers that suit the Denon 2310 best, I would ask you to look for speakers that suit YOU best! Listen to a coupla brands and identify your preference, atleast get closer.
In your first post, you have not mentioned many required details like size of your room, why you chose 2310, what is the pattern of usage with regards to music, movies, tv, gaming etc?
If you listen to music extensively, what kind of music do you listen?
Look at some of the threads where queries have been posted in such a format with all details.

Also one question, why do you prefer the KEF centre channel with Polk fronts?

Kapilg,
Last october I picked up a Denon 2310 in the US - I think I paid $700. It is working great. Also I just put it in my checked in bags and no customs in Bombay. I am using a 2kva Vertex servo with a built in step down that was custom built for me by the good people at Vertex - I think for about 15k (this is good for me as I have a lot of other 120v US audio equipment). You can pick up just a step down for much cheaper, but remember you still will need a good voltage stabilizer. The frequency does not matter for any piece of audio equipment unless it has a motor like a TT - it will not work in India if it is a 60hz unit. I am running a bunch of 120v stuff with no degradation in sound quality - of course the vertex helps.
Do not mix and match ctr speakers, because the tonality will change as sound moves from front left and right to ctr. For rear it may be ok to use different brands but I recommend sticking to 1 brand.
My advice - buy your speakers in India - it is hard to carry from US, but receiver and BR player you can buy in the US.
Cheers
Sid

Kapil

So, your Amp and BDP is finalized...
If you are going in personally and that too with colleagues,
nothin like it...

Now, regarding the Speakers and Cables...

There are a lot of options available in Delhi...

You have Q Acoustics, Wharfedale, Polk, Kef, etc...

Go and audition the same...

Dear Mridul/Sid/Iaudio,

1) Good Idea to audition in US. May be I can have few configurations finalised and then try those in US.

2) Why 2310. Started reading various forum threads. Denon seemed to be a good brand. 1910 has good reviews, but then read reviews for 2310 which were better and its a 7.1, so can be used for a bigger room as well. I had to start somewhere so I thought let me finalize AVR first and then try to build everything around it. Also I was getting it in approx 28000 bucks in US as compared to 55k-62k in India.

3) Room size - At the moment 15'x20'. But its a rented accomodation and I keep on moving as per the job, so dont care much on room size as it keeps on changing. But ya, some day when I settle down to a place, will have around 15'x20' dedicated room for sure.

4) Usage - 50% Movies + 50% Music. Movies - English, Hindi - oldies and new. Music - Mostly Indian - new, oldies, gazals.

5) About transformer - What all things will I need to run 2310. Do we have any standard brands on this. I think a gadget of approx Rs 5000 should do for both, player and AVR. what say ?

6) Good Idea to have speakers from India. But I am thinking of having the surround and center speakers also from US as I may go in this month itself. Do we have any issues (as we have that of voltage in 2310) in speakers also).

7) About BDP - What about region coding. What do you say about this player. I normally listen to mp3 also. Does it have a USB port ? any idea on its performance?

8) Good point on having same center as fronts. Why KEF, I thought this is as is a better speaker than polk (not sure) and someone told me that you get most of your vocals from this speaker so keeping movies in mind, I thought this will be better than polk. Not sure if I am making sense, but give me a break - the understanding is good enough keeping in mind that i started just a week ago.

9) All said (and as not done yet), please suggest if you have a better configuration in mind (sure I will audition).

10) Any comment on subowoofer and surrounds I chose?

11) I have read and am reading many threads and thats how trying to finalize the entire set up.

12) Thanks, please help me reaching next level.

Re: I want to understand, buy/build a good HT system (under 50K ). Please help.

im getting a combination of

JBL scs 200.5 with avr 133

for 35000/-
hows this hometheatre system

compared to others of the same category

im in mumbai my living room size is 12/12

i will be putting a projector n a screen too along with this

suggestions by experts welcum

Dear Mridul/Sid/Iaudio,

1) Good Idea to audition in US. May be I can have few configurations finalised and then try those in US.

2) Why 2310. Started reading various forum threads. Denon seemed to be a good brand. 1910 has good reviews, but then read reviews for 2310 which were better and its a 7.1, so can be used for a bigger room as well. I had to start somewhere so I thought let me finalize AVR first and then try to build everything around it. Also I was getting it in approx 28000 bucks in US as compared to 55k-62k in India.

3) Room size - At the moment 15'x20'. But its a rented accomodation and I keep on moving as per the job, so dont care much on room size as it keeps on changing. But ya, some day when I settle down to a place, will have around 15'x20' dedicated room for sure.

4) Usage - 50% Movies + 50% Music. Movies - English, Hindi - oldies and new. Music - Mostly Indian - new, oldies, gazals.

5) About transformer - What all things will I need to run 2310. Do we have any standard brands on this. I think a gadget of approx Rs 5000 should do for both, player and AVR. what say ?

6) Good Idea to have speakers from India. But I am thinking of having the surround and center speakers also from US as I may go in this month itself. Do we have any issues (as we have that of voltage in 2310) in speakers also).

7) About BDP - What about region coding. What do you say about this player. I normally listen to mp3 also. Does it have a USB port ? any idea on its performance?

8) Good point on having same center as fronts. Why KEF, I thought this is as is a better speaker than polk (not sure) and someone told me that you get most of your vocals from this speaker so keeping movies in mind, I thought this will be better than polk. Not sure if I am making sense, but give me a break - the understanding is good enough keeping in mind that i started just a week ago.

9) All said (and as not done yet), please suggest if you have a better configuration in mind (sure I will audition).

10) Any comment on subowoofer and surrounds I chose?

11) I have read and am reading many threads and thats how trying to finalize the entire set up.

12) Thanks, please help me reaching next level.

Kapilg - some of my answers

5) - You will ge a decent step down for 5k but what about voltage fluctuations? Unless you have stable voltage where you live both the step down and eventually everything connected to the step down will get damaged if the step down does not have a cut off.
6) Speakers have no volatge concerns but ctr speaker should match the front left and right to maintain even tonality of the front soundstage, beyond that is your call.
7) Most DVD players have either a software or hardware hack for defeating region coding. Google the particular model you want and you will find tons of info.
8) if you want Kef ctr then get matching kef l&r speakers. I cannot stress this enough.

Cheers
Sid

Thanks Sid,

One question

I understand the front speakers and center should ideally of same brand. Out of polk audio and KEF, which one do you recommend and why?
Does it hold true for subwoofer also ?

tx

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back