Import formalities

Just a dumb ask. When you carry the product, will the product cost calculated based on the direct conversion of USD to INR? Say for example, can I bring a product from US for the price worth up to 650$ USD? without explicitly declaring it? And, if I have to declare it in the customs form, do I need to mention the value beyond that 50K limit? for example, if I buy a product with invoice of 1000$ USD and if limit is 650$, can I just declare the value as 350$ and for that customs of 50% or 75% whatever, will be levied? Please advice.

Just a dumb ask. When you carry the product, will the product cost calculated based on the direct conversion of USD to INR? Say for example, can I bring a product from US for the price worth up to 650$ USD? without explicitly declaring it? And, if I have to declare it in the customs form, do I need to mention the value beyond that 50K limit? for example, if I buy a product with invoice of 1000$ USD and if limit is 650$, can I just declare the value as 350$ and for that customs of 50% or 75% whatever, will be levied? Please advice.
The custom duty is calculated at the value (@ current conversion rate) minus free allowance e.g. 50k. So you would declare full value.

I have an IEC - when I applied online, remember that they use IE6 or some ancient browser and it took a lot of crafting of the submission before I could save my application but it could be done. It arrives by mail. The main hurdle is finding a reliable carrier for your goods. (National Post is not courier and courier is not a carrier and the mode of entry/clearance alters the duty payable). If you are importing via ChinaPost then the duty is different from a carrier/Bill-of-lading. (Courier is just a different form of Postal Imports) For self-clearing another hurdle is getting a Class 3 digital certificate - costly.

Current rules for Postal Imports allow ANY AMOUNT of imports at roughly 75% duty (i don't recollect exactly but it's very high) There's no gift etc and all that sample stuff does not strictly work though the department may chose to ignore you. To avoid duty make sure your import duty is <100/inr

Duty is calculated on CIF

Hi guys. This might be an off topic question. I'm looking at importing a photography tripod from Amazon US website which mentions as free shipping when I key in my Mysore address. So I tried to check this out and added my card details and address. At final page of placing order it still says Shipping and handling charges as 0 dollars. Does this mean that I won't be charged any customs or still I need to pay for customs. Value of the item is 20K. Below is the link. Please help me friends.

Hi guys. This might be an off topic question. I'm looking at importing a photography tripod from Amazon US website which mentions as free shipping when I key in my Mysore address. So I tried to check this out and added my card details and address. At final page of placing order it still says Shipping and handling charges as 0 dollars. Does this mean that I won't be charged any customs or still I need to pay for customs. Value of the item is 20K. Below is the link. Please help me friends.

I was told by a friend of mine that they charges the custom duty once the item arrives at Bangalore and duty is evaluated by the officials.

Normally, the order mentions the import fees and shipping costs and a deposit to cover any misc. charges. If the actuals are lesser, they refund the money back. This is how it has been for me for all items in Amazon.com. This is a strange order (I ended up buying and then cancelling) as it doesnt have shipping or import fees and seems to be all inclusive. If in doubt, reach out to Amazon support and they should be able to help.

Thanks for your explanation. Did you mean that you ordered this tripod and then cancelled it? Also, by suggesting to contact Amazon, do you mean by Amazon India or the US.
Contact Amazon US, you can do so after placing the order too and cancel it if you are not happy about it. Yes, I ended up ordering the tripod and cancelling it :oops:

Just got my latest speaker shipment from the US. Clearance through Customs was delayed as assessing officer was insistent that HS code 7804 ought to be applied because the items were for personal use. I had a valid IEC, but I was told that it didn't matter.

Finally, found this official Customs documentation (https://www.cbic.gov.in/resources//htdocs-cbec/customs/cst1718-020218/Chap-98-01052018.pdf), which makes it quite clear (under Note 6) that HS code 9804 cannot be applied to items brought in under an import license.
Thank goodness for this, otherwise I was looking at 77% rate of duty!

Many thanks to FM @Vivek Batra for his help with my IEC application.

Just got my latest speaker shipment from the US. Clearance through Customs was delayed as assessing officer was insistent that HS code 7804 ought to be applied because the items were for personal use. I had a valid IEC, but I was told that it didn't matter.

Finally, found this official Customs documentation (https://www.cbic.gov.in/resources//htdocs-cbec/customs/cst1718-020218/Chap-98-01052018.pdf), which makes it quite clear (under Note 6) that HS code 9804 cannot be applied to items brought in under an import license.

Your welcome @liverpool_for_life. Always happy to help.

Just came across this thread. 77%? I've always paid about 30%, have the rules changed? What is the duty % now for audio equipment?

Its still 30% (10% Customs Duty + 18% GST) on the landed price (Invoice+shipping cost) unless its in a special category(Like TV's/mobiles...)

Just came across this thread. 77%? I've always paid about 30%, have the rules changed?

There was a CBDT circular first half of last year regarding the imposition of tariffs on items under Rs. 5,000 being imported as gifts. Unfortunately, that circular has been taken to apply to all personal imports, from the experience of myself and others.

What is the duty % now for audio equipment?

Effective rate of import duty for my loudspeaker import late last year was ~38% (on invoice value + shipping). And that was with an IEC. If not, I'd suggest being prepared to pay a flat rate of 77%, regardless of what you bring in.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back