importing blu ray player from 20 north?

One more thing,Did you get BD80 from US?
What abt powersupply?Is it universal as oppo?

Yes I imported from US. Its not unversal. Using with Maxines 60W step down transformer which costed me 450 Rs.

By the way for all the guys who wants to import BD80, Its NTSC only. Will not play PAL DVD discs.

Yes I imported from US. Its not unversal. Using with Maxines 60W step down transformer which costed me 450 Rs.

By the way for all the guys who wants to import BD80, Its NTSC only. Will not play PAL DVD discs.

So total cost can be 12k + 450 + 5k(mod)= Rs.17500

and how much of a problem is this in India? do you get NTSC discs? what is the proportion of NTSC discs available to PAL discs?
Sony releases are strictly PAL,Indian companies doesn't stick to specific format including biggies like Big home and Saregama.Comparatively most of the releases are NTSC.

who will modify the system? and what about the warranty of the product?
can we get the modify kit in India?

You have to do the mod are take the help of any systems service guy. Once you modified the hardware, there won't be any warranty.
Mod kit has to be imported again from external vendors not available in india. ICOS HD Panasonic DMP-BD60/80 USA (NONE PAL) Modkit.

Like I already mentioned on this thread. I have a spare Mod kit for BD60/80. If anybody interested can PM me.

There is nothing like PAL/NTSC w.r to the Blu-ray for the contents presented in HD. Some incompetent Studios in UK / EU / AUS encode at 1080i50/60Hz that cannot be played in Region-A players unless the player supports all resolutions and refresh rates.

Though the prices are steep in 20north they seem to be best option for importing from US.

You have to do the mod are take the help of any systems service guy. Once you modified the hardware, there won't be any warranty.
Mod kit has to be imported again from external vendors not available in india. ICOS HD Panasonic DMP-BD60/80 USA (NONE PAL) Modkit.

Like I already mentioned on this thread. I have a spare Mod kit for BD60/80. If anybody interested can PM me.

hi friend

i saw this in 20 north Shop in the US from India @ 20North - region+free+blu+ray+player : Electronics

it says that they are region free is it true. sorry for asking this again.

thanks in advance

Are these Pana BDP 80 and Oppo BDP- 83 players available in the grey market in India?
Where in Mumbai and what would be the price?
Does it make sense to shelve out the extra thousands for the Oppo?

No they are not region free as 20north sources its contents from Amazon.com and Amazon would not sell a modified player because that would void the warranty from the manufacturer.

Do you have some info on amazon's sourcing policies?
and 20 north has only one source -amazon? 20 north guys will you please confirm?

anyway Amazon OFFICILAY sells Multi Region BR players

This is pana

Amazon.com: Panasonic DMP-BD30 - Multi Region Blu Ray PAL/NTSC DVD Player Via HDMI For Worldwide Use - 110V/240V: Electronics

these are others

Amazon.com: SHARP BLU-RAY DVD PLAYER. MULTI REGION/ REGION FREE- FULL DIGITAL HIGH DEFINITION 1080p VIDEO OUPUT via HDMI. PLAYS DVDS FROM ANY COUNTRY. MODEL BD-HP21A. REMOTE INCLUDED(Works with a PAL or Multi system TV).: Electronics

Amazon.com: NEW JVC XVBP1 All Multi Region Code Free BLU RAY Player. Guaranteed to play all region 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 PAL or NTSC DVDs. (Free HDMI Cable): Electronics

Any comments?

Ashish unless it is confirm fact please do not misguide

Just finished watching Terminator Salvation (Director's Cut) Blue ray on Panasonic BD 80 bougth from 20north. Ordered on Nov 04 and received today on 14th & that was fast considering my previous experience with 20north. :yahoo: Purchased with Mediabridge Ultra Series - 6ft High Speed HDMI cable Version 1.3 Category 2 Certified for Rs 12447/- as a gift item. However Custom charged Rs 1064 as duty. Anyhow for Rs 13500 not at all a bad deal. Upadated the firmaware to 2.1 and bought Blue Ray from Planet M today evening. All I can say is wow, razor sharp images, incredible details. It was awesome to watch the movie on LG 42LH90. Cant say about sound as I used analog out. Waiting for good deal on receiver. :)

Just finished watching Terminator Salvation (Director's Cut) Blue ray on Panasonic BD 80 bougth from 20north. Ordered on Nov 04 and received today on 14th & that was fast considering my previous experience with 20north. :yahoo: Purchased with Mediabridge Ultra Series - 6ft High Speed HDMI cable Version 1.3 Category 2 Certified for Rs 12447/- as a gift item. However Custom charged Rs 1064 as duty. Anyhow for Rs 13500 not at all a bad deal. Upadated the firmaware to 2.1 and bought Blue Ray from Planet M today evening. All I can say is wow, razor sharp images, incredible details. It was awesome to watch the movie on LG 42LH90. Cant say about sound as I used analog out. Waiting for good deal on receiver. :)

Can you kindly let us know if the BD 80 is region free? There has been quite a debate on this topic and it will benefit all of us if you could confirm this ASAP.

It is not region free. It plays region A and region free Blue rays and same is for DVD i.e region 1 and region free. A few region A and region fee Blue rays were available in Planet M at Vashi Navi Mumbai.

After going through the links you have provided on amazon.com, its only the Panasonic Model which is BDP30 is region free for both Blu Ray as well as DVDs and the same is also avaliable in India too through Panasonic dealers but this being a soft mod is disabled with the firmware update.
About the other players i.e the JVC and Sharp its region free for DVD's only and not blu ray.
From Amazon Website:
Technical Specifications of the JVC player:
Technical Details
Plays All-Region DVDs: Region 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0
Plays Zone A Blu Ray discs
Plays PAL and NTSC Region DVDs on all TVs
Watch Blu Ray discs in FULL HD 1080p and standard DVDs in near HD
BD Profile 2.0

Now what do you say to this?

Last edited:
After going through the links you have provided on amazon.com, its only the Panasonic Model which is BDP30 is region free for both Blu Ray as well as DVDs and the same is also avaliable in India too through Panasonic dealers but this being a soft mod is disabled with the firmware update.
About the other players i.e the JVC and Sharp its region free for DVD's only and not blu ray.
From Amazon Website:
Technical Specifications of the JVC player:
Technical Details
Plays All-Region DVDs: Region 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0
Plays Zone A Blu Ray discs
Plays PAL and NTSC Region DVDs on all TVs
Watch Blu Ray discs in FULL HD 1080p and standard DVDs in near HD
BD Profile 2.0

Now what do you say to this?

Sorry -My bad
Anyway if the issue is " No all region BR on amazon" then they have laest 1!

Sorry -My bad
Anyway if the issue is " No all region BR on amazon" then they have laest 1!

My point wasn't to insult anybody, but as I said in my earlier statement, amazon.com can not sell a hard modded player as the same would not have company's official warranty and since amazon sells only online which would make it very difficult to provide any kind of service related issues to any customer who bought a product from them, so they rely on a particular company to cater to the warranty issues of any product sold by them. Its the same system which is also followed by branded electronic retail showrooms in India where after selling a product, its the responsibility of that particular company to look after the service related issues.

Apart from Amazon, there are other sellers selling stuff on Amazon.com (marketplace), it will most likely be one of these sellers offering modded players.

Back