importing blu ray player from 20 north?

Only the Oppo BDP-83 available on 20north can be soft-modded to be region free but costs nearly 50k. Haven't found any hardware modded region free players there.

On the other hand, Ebay Global Easy Buy seems to have Panasonic and JVC models that seem to be ICOS / hardware mods but are still rather expensive (from 20-35k).

Only the Oppo BDP-83 available on 20north can be soft-modded to be region free but costs nearly 50k. Haven't found any hardware modded region free players there.

On the other hand, Ebay Global Easy Buy seems to have Panasonic and JVC models that seem to be ICOS / hardware mods but are still rather expensive (from 20-35k).

Is this the price of the Oppo incl. mods or only for the mods?
50K seems to be a bomb!!
Do these prices fall down after a couple of months after their launch?:rolleyes:

Is this the price of the Oppo incl. mods or only for the mods?
50K seems to be a bomb!!
Do these prices fall down after a couple of months after their launch?:rolleyes:

On 20north Oppo BDP costs around 40K after choosing ocean shipping method, but I remember that when I bought the same from them then it was around 38K inclusive of shipping cost. The hard mod kit needs to be bought seperately from another site for this player and costs around 6.5-7k which also includes the shipping.

On 20north Oppo BDP costs around 40K after choosing ocean shipping method, but I remember that when I bought the same from them then it was around 38K inclusive of shipping cost. The hard mod kit needs to be bought seperately from another site for this player and costs around 6.5-7k which also includes the shipping.

Thanks for your pretty quick response. Is it really worth taking the plunge for the Oppo83 considering that Blu ray discs still are found 'scarce' and expensive in India? I noticed that you have an Oppo BDP83.
I do watch movies over the weekends and have a Cambridge DV99 procured recently.
I presume once one takes this Oppo, one need not think of anything else for at least 2-3 years. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks for your pretty quick response. Is it really worth taking the plunge for the Oppo83 considering that Blu ray discs still are found 'scarce' and expensive in India? I noticed that you have an Oppo BDP83.
I do watch movies over the weekends and have a Cambridge DV99 procured recently.
I presume once one takes this Oppo, one need not think of anything else for at least 2-3 years. Is my understanding correct?

Yes your understanding is absolutely correct. It would be a very wise decision to invest in Oppo BDP83.

The Oppo BDP-83 can be made region free by using a soft mod rather than hardware as well. The hard mod is preferred and permanent however. And the price seems to have fallen back to 40k today on 20north.

My source of movies is online rental (BigFlix.com) and they have said they do not have plans to introduce BD. I am not sure Rs. 900-1200 per movie is worth it. Anyone know of BD rental in Mumbai?

Is your hardware mod kit similar to this one OPPO BDP-83 Multi Region Blu Ray hardware MOD KIT - eBay, Blu-ray Players, Movie Players, Recorders, Electronics. (end time 25-Nov-09 19:33:42 AEDST)

This one costs around 110AUD which is roughly around 4.5k Rs.

Yes its the same kit which I have installed in my player and the price is very reasonable but there is no shipping option given, so I thing that one needs to get it from Australia to save some money because if we add shipping cost to it then it might fall into the same price bracket of 6.5-7k

Yes its worth the plunge as this would fulfill all your disk related needs and that too without any compromises. Since diwali there has been a huge penetration of BDs in the Indian market and they start from 700 onwards and goes upto 1500, which I don't think expensive after looking at the difference between an ordinary DVD and BD. I bought this player because of its flexibility and ease of modding it for multi region playback for both DVDs and BDs.

My source of movies is online rental (BigFlix.com) and they have said they do not have plans to introduce BD. I am not sure Rs. 900-1200 per movie is worth it. Anyone know of BD rental in Mumbai?

Moviemart rents blu ray disks through out India and they charge around 100 bucks for each disk. You have to choose from their various plans and then also remember to negotiate with them.
Online DVD Rentals in India | DVD Movie Rentals Delhi | Online DVD Rental Company India

The Oppo BDP-83 can be made region free by using a soft mod rather than hardware as well. The hard mod is preferred and permanent however. And the price seems to have fallen back to 40k today on 20north.

shemaroo in south b'bay charges abt 80/movie/day ( u hv to be member and pay for 100movies at a go).

i'm sure there must be many other local libraries too.

Anyway Amazon OFFICILAY sells Multi Region BR players....However I heard about AmazingWatcher.Com which is a free website that will watch items for you on Amazon and let you know when amazon has them in stock at regular retail price.AmaZing Watcher

I have the following Blu-ray titles, though have not bought any of them:D, just got it from my friends for viewing!
11. LOTR

Some (first 4) of them are from UK and the remaining are from US (I guess). Dhoom - I am not sure! All of them worked well, so far so good.

Hey dude, how have you got LOTR on Blu-Ray? It's not yet released anywhere afaik.

Hi,

Yes, maybe Aneel was right, but AFAIK the disc I used was a blu-ray and the source was BDP-360 (not having it now). I am not sure about its authenticity, etc. I will contact him and let you know where he got that from.

Cheers!

LOTR is not even released in HD-DVD format.. all in the torrent site available for downloads were upscaled to 720p/1080P version of DVD-9.

Yes those are HDDVD rips. Blu ray of Theatrical version is on pre -order(No date yet). Extended edition will be on 2011 as per peter jacksons Intvw.
So 2011 is the date, I'll wait till then for the Extended edition. For the theatrical I think it's April 2010, according to Blu-ray.com

Hi,

Yes, maybe Aneel was right, but AFAIK the disc I used was a blu-ray and the source was BDP-360 (not having it now). I am not sure about its authenticity, etc. I will contact him and let you know where he got that from.

Cheers!
For sure it's not a original Blu-Ray or probably just a upscaled movie burnt in blu-ray to make money.
I hope that's not a blu-ray disc from National market:lol:. It seems these days national market type vendors have started selling DVD's with higher quality rips with blu-ray markings. People are buying it thinking they are blu-ray and best part is many people are playing them on their DVD players(as they are DVD's after all). I'm not saying that the one venkatesh got is the same but just telling a interesting story that I came to know recently.

LOTR is not even released in HD-DVD format.. all in the torrent site available for downloads were upscaled to 720p/1080P version of DVD-9.
That's what it is I feel. Blu-ray of LOTR is one which is being eagerly waited by many.

Hi,

Hey, you woke me up from a deep sleep! yes, you guys are right, there is either no HD-DVD or blu-ray on LOTR. One thing for sure is that I played in on my BDP-360 and it is a blu-ray disc. I could not reach my friend, and once I did, I would ask him to check all the titles.

Thank you guys!

Cheers!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back