In Ceiling Speakers - Would a speaker with 70V transformer work for Yamaha RX-V683

iajay

Hi
I am looking for in ceiling speakers to use as atmos speakers
I have yamaha rx-v683
I have short listed some speakers, I have doubt in one of them
https://www.amazon.in/Pyle-PDIC60T-...pID=51v6QenEmFL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
What is the use of the transformer, would this work with my receiver
The other speakers I short listed are
https://www.ebay.in/itm/122417220277?ul_noapp=true
http://avenuesound.in/shop/product/speakercraft-crs-5-5r/
https://www.amazon.in/Acoustic-Audi...ncoding=UTF8&refRID=QGT60EPDZ3YFQH7GP86N&th=1
https://www.amazon.in/Pyle-PDIC60-2...pID=51ZcxCU7o2L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Please suggest
Regards
Ajjaykummar

No .. I don't want these.. I want the ceiling speakers as I have proper space for those.. can you let me know about the 70v transformer.. pls check my query in first message

Assuming its a short wiring till amplifier then you can take out the transformer and use it with the speakers directly. The 70V transformers are used when there are large arrays of ceiling speakers like in offices where the amplifier output is raised to a higher voltage to reduce losses and then stepped down using the 70V transformer. For home audio just take the transformer out and use it. Check the speaker resistance (easier to check than inductance) to ensure its 6 to 8 ohm...

My distance is around 10 feet, wiring is around 40 feet
The speaker resistance us 8ohm
Would it be compatible with my Yamaha Rx v683 AVR??

No .. I don't want these.. I want the ceiling speakers as I have proper space for those.. can you let me know about the 70v transformer.. pls check my query in first message
There are two types of constant voltage distributed speakers i.e. 70v & 100v. Depending upon your amp output you can fix as many speakers your amp can supply. Suppose you have amplifier having 40wpc then you can use 4x10w speakers in one channel. There may be a switch by which you can fix how loud you want to hear from each of these 4 speakers. You may select 8w for 2 speakers and 10w for rest 2 speakers. Such speakers are useful in commercial and shop floors. They can be used in home theatres but the quality of transformer again has to be good enough. Choose a better quality speaker like Wharfedale. Here there are different tappings from the transformer with indicators to choose the correct tapping for a required sound level. You can also opt for a speaker (different model) with a switch to change the sound level from outside without changing the wire tappings.

There are two types of constant voltage distributed speakers i.e. 70v & 100v. Depending upon your amp output you can fix as many speakers your amp can supply. Suppose you have amplifier having 40wpc then you can use 4x10w speakers in one channel. There may be a switch by which you can fix how loud you want to hear from each of these 4 speakers. You may select 8w for 2 speakers and 10w for rest 2 speakers. Such speakers are useful in commercial and shop floors. They can be used in home theatres but the quality of transformer again has to be good enough. Choose a better quality speaker like Wharfedale. Here there are different tappings from the transformer with indicators to choose the correct tapping for a required sound level. You can also opt for a speaker (different model) with a switch to change the sound level from outside without changing the wire tappings.
Thanks for the detailed answer..so the short answer would be that I can use the speakers with my Yamaha AVR...correct?

But Ajay, tell me why you have selected this distributed speaker. If your ceiling speaker is not very far off, you need not use this. The ceiling speaker can be placed right on top of your seating location or mid way in between front wall and your seating position. If you are seating 10ft away from front wall then max length of wire will be 15-18ft. Anyway that is your choice and you can use this type of speakers.
But I am wondering when your AVR has Dolby Atmos decoder, you are going for normal ceiling speakers. Atmos speakers actually make a lot of difference in providing surround sound effect. Please consider this aspect as this feature is latest and few AVR has this feature.

But Ajay, tell me why you have selected this distributed speaker. If your ceiling speaker is not very far off, you need not use this. The ceiling speaker can be placed right on top of your seating location or mid way in between front wall and your seating position. If you are seating 10ft away from front wall then max length of wire will be 15-18ft. Anyway that is your choice and you can use this type of speakers.
But I am wondering when your AVR has Dolby Atmos decoder, you are going for normal ceiling speakers. Atmos speakers actually make a lot of difference in providing surround sound effect. Please consider this aspect as this feature is latest and few AVR has this feature.
I have not finalised the speaker. I am also considering the other speakers, the links to which I have posted
I read somewhere that the ceiling speakers provide better Dolby effects, if ceiling speaker is not possible then use Dolby Atmos upfiring module or front height speakers...also the ceiling speakers are relatively cheaper :)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back