In Quest for a 50+

Gunner

It has been just about 2 weeks since I bought my plasma 50 incher, trust me its amazing, but already there are thoughts buzzing in my head to move this to one of my bedrooms. I am 5 inches (min) 10 inches (max) short on either side. :sad:

Now begins the quest for a 55+ plasma, the options are limited, I can't find any other than the one at LG 60PS80. Its MOP is around 185k atm, would wanna wait till its around 130-140 ish, may be even cheaper.

The playtime would be DVD's and Blu Ray's. No SD content.

Would be greatful for some help on this. Cheers.

It has been just about 2 weeks since I bought my plasma 50 incher, trust me its amazing, but already there are thoughts buzzing in my head to move this to one of my bedrooms. I am 5 inches (min) 10 inches (max) short on either side. :sad:

Now begins the quest for a 55+ plasma, the options are limited, I can't find any other than the one at LG 60PS80. Its MOP is around 185k atm, would wanna wait till its around 130-140 ish, may be even cheaper.

The playtime would be DVD's and Blu Ray's. No SD content.

Would be greatful for some help on this. Cheers.

Hey Gunner.. I know exactly how you feel.. :eek:hyeah:
Just control your urge to upgrade just for another 2-3 years..

Anything above 50" is currently not in the sweet spot of VFM vs utility and this will drastically change in the next 2-3 years.. Further the dearth of HD content today is more reason for you to wait..

Going forward the plasma will compete with LCD only in terms of size viz-a-viz cost ratio.. Hold on for next 2-3 years and believe me, 50" is big enough till that time..

and also the fact that your walls should be strong enough to hold the weight of larger TVs. I think they need to go slimmer for making it into flats.

I asked as lakozy ,chaupaty has panasonic plasma displays - withot tuner and speaker at ( they said) ecent prices.I saw one 63vor 65 inch FHD around 6 monts back ,chck this!

Hey Gunner.. I know exactly how you feel.. :eek:hyeah:
Just control your urge to upgrade just for another 2-3 years..

Anything above 50" is currently not in the sweet spot of VFM vs utility and this will drastically change in the next 2-3 years.. Further the dearth of HD content today is more reason for you to wait..

Going forward the plasma will compete with LCD only in terms of size viz-a-viz cost ratio.. Hold on for next 2-3 years and believe me, 50" is big enough till that time..
Yup blasto, not in a hurry to do so either, I was thinking more like the start of next year or in the second quarter. The problem is the demand for these isn't what I would want it to be, hence would be hard to get a good chunk of discount, unless ofcourse it is being phased out.

Funny that I find the 42inch in the master bedroom huge and the 50inch in the living area small, the wall sizes and viewing distances have played their part here. But only if ...

and also the fact that your walls should be strong enough to hold the weight of larger TVs. I think they need to go slimmer for making it into flats.
I have taken care about that aspect anm, I guess. :p

IF U REALLY WANT TO GO IN FOR A HIGHER SIZE AT a decent price i have a nice suggestion for u.the PIONEER official dealer in delhi are selling their demo pioneer kuro plasma's at almost half prices with one year warranty as well. i am sure they can send it to your residence in bombay.

Try having a word with them at 09971531735.in case u get one at a good price then u must be very lucky.let me know as soon as u buy it from them.i would like to certainly congratulate u on your priced possession.

all the best,ciao.

Looks like many of us in this forum are bitten by this bigger the better bug.
To share my story I started my search with 40/42, then quickly realized 46/47 would be just perfect even 50 wouldnt be a mis-fit my family room is 13.5 feet X 11 feet and the typical viewing distance is about 12.5 feet. With inputs from ever-helping forum members, I had set my eyes first on 47LH90 only to be informed that this was no more in production. I then tried for the Samsung PS50B550 only to find that this model was also discontinued. I then tried hard for the Samsung LA46B650 (which according to me is the best Samsung TV available in India) but I could only find 2 display pieces. By then I had auditioned almost all the available models 40 55 models and shortlisted LGs 2 models 47SL90 & 47LH70. For a brief while I even considered the LGs 55LH50, the only 50+ inch LCD that I found during my 3 months long search. However, considering the VFM (& the PQ I maintain that I found LH70s PQ to be greater than equal to Samsungs B550/530), I decided to take the 47LH70. But after the delivery and during the installation, I realized that this model (LH70) didnt have connectivity ports at the side and this was an important care-about for me as I connect my camcorder & the portable DVD player (with USB playback) to the TV very often. So I requested the dealer to replace this with 47SL90 and he agreed. Unfortunately, 47SL90 was out of stock and I was made to wait for weeks. After about 3 weeks of wait, I learned that LH90 was back in stock, but only 42 models were available. After thinking hard it was only about size vs. PQ LH90 was always my 1st choice in terms of PQ I settled for the 42LH90.
While I am very happy with the 42LH90 I still yearn for a bigger screen. I had even called the dealer (just about one week after the delivery) asking him if he could get either the 47SL90 or 46B650 or 55LH50 and allow me to exchange the 42LH90 (to which he politely declined)! Today if I manage to get a very good offer from someone (from this forum??) to sell the 42LH90, I may do so and go for a bigger screen (though I am not sure which one)!
Actually for my distance, watching TV programs - including live sports (which is what I spend time watching the most) and movies that appear full-screen (English movies, old Hindi movies) in a 42 screen (especially in LH90 with such great PQ/ customizable PQ settings), is just perfect. It is only while watching movies - from DVDs or through USB where the cinemascope screen shrinks the picture I really feel I should have a bigger screen.
Maybe it is this quest/urge for a bigger screen that will keep us interested in tracking all that is happening in this product segment

To share my story I started my search with 40/42, then quickly realized 46/47 would be just perfect even 50 wouldnt be a mis-fit my family room is 13.5 feet X 11 feet and the typical viewing distance is about 12.5 feet. With inputs from ever-helping forum members, I had set my eyes first on 47LH90 only to be informed that this was no more in production. I then tried for the Samsung PS50B550 only to find that this model was also discontinued. I then tried hard for the Samsung LA46B650 (which according to me is the best Samsung TV available in India) but I could only find 2 display pieces. By then I had auditioned almost all the available models 40 55 models and shortlisted LGs 2 models 47SL90 & 47LH70. For a brief while I even considered the LGs 55LH50, the only 50+ inch LCD that I found during my 3 months long search. However, considering the VFM (& the PQ I maintain that I found LH70s PQ to be greater than equal to Samsungs B550/530), I decided to take the 47LH70. But after the delivery and during the installation, I realized that this model (LH70) didnt have connectivity ports at the side and this was an important care-about for me as I connect my camcorder & the portable DVD player (with USB playback) to the TV very often. So I requested the dealer to replace this with 47SL90 and he agreed. Unfortunately, 47SL90 was out of stock and I was made to wait for weeks. After about 3 weeks of wait, I learned that LH90 was back in stock, but only 42 models were available. After thinking hard it was only about size vs. PQ LH90 was always my 1st choice in terms of PQ I settled for the 42LH90.
While I am very happy with the 42LH90 I still yearn for a bigger screen. I had even called the dealer (just about one week after the delivery) asking him if he could get either the 47SL90 or 46B650 or 55LH50 and allow me to exchange the 42LH90 (to which he politely declined)! Today if I manage to get a very good offer from someone (from this forum??) to sell the 42LH90, I may do so and go for a bigger screen (though I am not sure which one)!
Actually for my distance, watching TV programs - including live sports (which is what I spend time watching the most) and movies that appear full-screen (English movies, old Hindi movies) in a 42 screen (especially in LH90 with such great PQ/ customizable PQ settings), is just perfect. It is only while watching movies - from DVDs or through USB where the cinemascope screen shrinks the picture I really feel I should have a bigger screen.
Maybe it is this quest/urge for a bigger screen that will keep us interested in tracking all that is happening in this product segment

Sell the TV after confirming the availability of the bigger sized one.. :D
I sold mine and the bigger one is not at all available for more than a month.. Got a 42" different brand to pasify my fuming wife.. :D

Been away from the forums for sometime now, so with the new models launched any luck with 60 inchers in a price range between 90k - 120k?

Why dont you try a FullHD projector instead of going for a huge TV in your living room? For your budget, i believe you will get a very decent PJ.

Bro

The brands to look in for the 55" Plasmas are Hitachi, Pannasonic or Pioneer only...Dont look into any other brands where TV is concerned...
If you are using the Set Top Box and Using the TV for DVD, etc, then its prefered you look in for NEC or Panasonic 55" Panels...they are cheap, better and easily available...as in stocks are concerned...

The difference between the TV and a Panel is that a Panel doesnt have Speakers and TV Tuner Card, so you will need to get some speakers with it...and as you are already using the Set Top Box, you can directly plug the audio to the external speakers...
The benefit of Panel over TV is that, the Panels are made for Big displays and meetings, so there Contrast Ratio is always better and always mentioned in native, so u know, the exact what you are getting...

Try the same, but with above brands only...LG and Samsung are not worth when Plasmas are concerned...Sharp & Toshiba are completely LCDs and Sony has stopped its sales of Plasma Panels in India...

- The biggest complaint among TV buyers is that they wish they had bought a bigger set.

Source : HDTV Set Up THX.com

;)

Been away from the forums for sometime now, so with the new models launched any luck with 60 inchers in a price range between 90k - 120k?

LG60PK550 was quoted to me for 1.3L. You could possibly bargain it down to 1.25L or even 1.2L.

I am not sure which one will be better (PQ & VFM) - a 60" full HD plasma or a full HD projector.

Definitely the full HD projector would be a better buy, if the buyer has the space for the large screen. With the projector, the screen size can even go up to 100-120 inches without a problem, if there is wall space to accommodate such a large screen.

Of course, it may not be very ideal for normal TV viewing as lighting would have to be controlled. And separate arrangements would have to be made for sound as well. But for that kind of budget, a full HD projector and a screen seem to be better value for money.

If the distance (for the projector) and the wall space for such a large screen are not available, then it's a different story. One would have to settle for the 60 inch plasma tv instead.

---Venkat

50" is big enough till that time..
No offense, but what is this fascination with small sizes? I watch my movies on a 106" (16:9) screen from a distance of 11 feet and I still feel I wish I had bought the 120" screen. Bottom line, no matter how big the screen, after a while it seems small or atleast smaller.

No offense, but what is this fascination with small sizes? I watch my movies on a 106" (16:9) screen from a distance of 11 feet and I still feel I wish I had bought the 120" screen. Bottom line, no matter how big the screen, after a while it seems small or atleast smaller.

You have stressed this enough number of times. No need to dig all of my old posts and write the same thing over and over again. I have already asked people to demo their desired TV size from desired disance and decide.

Not everyone can see movies on a 106" screen from 11 feet. Worse if it were a TV. Screens are pretty easy on your eyes compared to TV.

Also, IMO watching DTH on a 50" TV is different from viewing movie on a screen and most people are iterested in only that. I still require 12' for DTH on 50" but people can be more accomodative.

Last edited:
You have stressed this enough number of times. No need to dig all of my old posts and write the same thing over and over again. I have already asked people to demo their desired TV size from desired disance and decide.

Not everyone can see movies on a 106" screen from 11 feet. Worse if it were a TV. Screens are pretty easy on your eyes compared to TV.

Also, IMO watching DTH on a 50" TV is different from viewing movie on a screen and most people are iterested in only that. I still require 12' for DTH on 50" but people can be more accomodative.

Very true Blasto. Even I can't sit so close to watch tv. At my parents' place where we have the LG 42PQ70 plasma, we generally sit at 12 feet to watch Tata Sky DTH and 13-14 feet when we watch DivX DVD Rips or blu ray rips through WDTV HD media player. For my place where we have a 24-26 feet hall, I have planned the 50 inch plasma with a viewing distance of about 16-18 feet. Definitely can't sit at 10-12 feet for a 50 inch screen!

---Venkat

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back