Need help in deciding on a 50+ inch TV

sohels

Need help deciding on a 50+ inch TV

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a 50+ inch TV. I would prefer it to be 1080p, and am indifferent about 3D. Here's where things stand now:

-In my auditions so far, I have come to prefer Panasonic plasma's picture

-In comparing the Panasonic 50X50 (65K), 50UT50 (88K), and 50GT50 (1.3L) side-by-side (ST wasn't on display), the GT clearly stood out as the best, but at 1.3 lac, seems overpriced

-Bafflingly though, I preferred the 50X50 to the 50UT50 - while the UT (1080p) clearly had better resolution (on screen text, the net on a tennis court etc), the X50 had much better contrast and color vibrancy. For some reason the UT seemed duller and washed-out in the moderately well-lit showroom. All three sets had identical picture settings. So it was GT >> X > UT. The dealer claims the UT set on display is not faulty since he has observed the same with other sets

-Another local dealer offers 55-inch Samsung and Sony LED models without a bill for around 1.1 lac - the price seems very attractive, but is it worth the risk?

-I also love the look of the higher end Samsung LED models with their thin frames and slim design. They also look great in bright rooms. But in comparing the Samsung LEDs to the 51E550 plasma, I preferred the plasma's color. Roger Federer looked a little pink on the LED, even after I tried to tweak the settings

-Samsung 51E550 plasma reflects to the point of distraction

-I've been hearing and reading great things about the 50ST50, but may prefer to get a 55-inch LED if the cost works out to be the same (and if no bill is not a problem). What's the best price for the 50ST50 online? Is ordering online a good idea?

So yeah, I'd love to hear your opinion before I make a decision! Thanks in anticipation!

Last edited:
Re: Need help deciding on a 50+ inch TV

Hi i think Panasonic Plasmas are very good. Panasonic ST50 is one of the best tvs in the market today. If you like ST50 then no need to see any other tv. Sony LEDs are also very good if you like LED technology. I have a Sony HX850 and according to me it is the best LED. Check Sony's HX750, HX850 & HX925 range of LEDs. My advise is go for Panasonic ST50 or Sony's LED. Both plasma & LED have their advantages and disadvantages so that you have to see which technology you find is better for you.
Hello,

I am looking to purchase a 50+ inch TV. I would prefer it to be 1080p, and am indifferent about 3D. Here's where things stand now:

-In my auditions so far, I have come to prefer Panasonic plasma's picture

-In comparing the Panasonic 50X50 (65K), 50UT50 (88K), and 50GT50 (1.3L) side-by-side (ST wasn't on display), the GT clearly stood out as the best, but at 1.3 lac, seems overpriced

-Bafflingly though, I preferred the 50X50 to the 50UT50 - while the UT (1080p) clearly had better resolution (on screen text, the net on a tennis court etc), the X50 had much better contrast and color vibrancy. For some reason the UT seemed duller and washed-out in the moderately well-lit showroom. All three sets had identical picture settings. So it was GT >> X > UT. The dealer claims the UT set on display is not faulty since he has observed the same with other sets

-Another local dealer offers 55-inch Samsung and Sony LED models without a bill for around 1.1 lac - the price seems very attractive, but is it worth the risk?

-I also love the look of the higher end Samsung LED models with their thin frames and slim design. They also look great in bright rooms. But in comparing the Samsung LEDs to the 51E550 plasma, I preferred the plasma's color. Roger Federer looked a little pink on the LED, even after I tried to tweak the settings

-Samsung 51E550 plasma reflects to the point of distraction

-I've been hearing and reading great things about the 50ST50, but may prefer to get a 55-inch LED if the cost works out to be the same (and if no bill is not a problem). What's the best price for the 50ST50 online? Is ordering online a good idea?

So yeah, I'd love to hear your opinion before I make a decision! Thanks in anticipation!

Choosing panasonic will be a great option as per me. I agree to your concern regarding the overpriced of the same but I think if you check the price of the same online on sites like flipkart, naaptol you may get it at a bit low cost.

& Btw without bill shouldnt be a problem if you buying from a good shop. If you were in Delhi or Mumbai i would have helped you in getting a tv withoutbill becuase i know a guy who sells them and i also buy it from there.

As stated by aks316...

- "Without bill" is not a concern as long as warranty is intact and ensured.

Panasonic 50ST50 should be available between 1~1.05 L. Sony 46HX850 will be around 1.15~1.18 L while the 55HX850 will be 1.92+ L at the minimum. All prices with bill. On price front alone, ST50 is a clear winner.

The 1.1L for 55" Sony must be the 55HX750 and clearly not in the same league. The TV that comes closest to ST50 in PQ is HX925 or Samsung 8 Series. HX850 is also very good but I don't think that you will get the 55" whose MRP is 2.09L for 1.1L. If yes, go for it. I have the ST50 and I am still on the moon.

But you should audition and then choose.

have a 50U30 bought for 67k :D and am on the moon.
Wonder why companies choose to phase out good economical models and introduce newer models with hefty price tags... ( with not needed upgrades)...for isntance 3d .. why would i pay 25 k extra for a feature i dont need ... ( incedently panny doenst have a 2d model in plasma anymore)

have a 50U30 bought for 67k :D and am on the moon.
Wonder why companies choose to phase out good economical models and introduce newer models with hefty price tags... ( with not needed upgrades)...for isntance 3d .. why would i pay 25 k extra for a feature i dont need ... ( incedently panny doenst have a 2d model in plasma anymore)

Below is the list of Junk.

3D + Associated glasses and technology
Internet connectivity
Web browser - junk of the highest order. Just plugging in a laptop is very satisfying.
Half baked USB movie support - you will need media player anyway (LG & Panasonic)
Edge LED and associated screen uniformity issues

When you cannot improve the panels any further, you spend R&D in junk and offload the costs to the customer. Wow.

As stated by aks316...

- "Without bill" is not a concern as long as warranty is intact and ensured.

Nope, no warranty or guarantee of any kind. Something goes wrong first week, I pay out of pocket!

The 1.1L for 55" Sony must be the 55HX750 and clearly not in the same league.

I just asked him for clarification, the two LEDs for ~1.1 lac are Sony 55(EX?)620 (previous year, I think) and Samsung 55(ES or C?)6800. He said he gets them from Thailand. I think I'll avoid this option.

Choosing panasonic will be a great option as per me. I agree to your concern regarding the overpriced of the same but I think if you check the price of the same online on sites like flipkart, naaptol you may get it at a bit low cost.

Flipkart has good pricing - have people on this forum used this option? TVs aren't damaged in transit, are they?

@OP,
Try also to view the 50D8000 plasma from samsung.
It should be around the price of 50ST50. Around 1.1L. *with included BRD player maybe slightly more.

It is not surprising for someone to like samsung better than panasonic plasma. I too personally think that the colour reproduction of samsung is more natural and I own a panasonic plasma.

Flipkart has good pricing - have people on this forum used this option? TVs aren't damaged in transit, are they?

Flipkart supposidly sends with double box packing covered with wooden box which you need to break open at your end.

Flipkart will deliver in select cities only, presumably where their godowns are located. So this is no worse than a city dealer delivering. But on the while people will be a little sceptical in ordering large items from online stores. I think it is safe.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Flipkart will deliver in select cities only, presumably where their godowns are located.

Ah yes, just checked and delivery is not available in my area.

So I'm basically down to 50X50 (~55K), 50ST50 (~1L) and 50D8000 (1.1L). Tough decision, considering SD sources will account for >80% of what I watch, and the difference between 720p and 1080p even with a 1080p source is not dramatic when viewed from normal viewing distance.

I would tend to agree with both the members...

Going without bill is a risky proposition and depends on individual's view - aks has a lot of experience about it and I know couple of friends in Delhi who have brought without bill...

Regarding PQ, high end LEDs from Samsung & models like Sony HX850 will be superb and so would be Panasonic Plasmas ST50, GT50...

Ah yes, just checked and delivery is not available in my area.

So I'm basically down to 50X50 (~55K), 50ST50 (~1L) and 50D8000 (1.1L). Tough decision, considering SD sources will account for >80% of what I watch, and the difference between 720p and 1080p even with a 1080p source is not dramatic when viewed from normal viewing distance.

I watch a lot of SD and on ST50 it is good. But when I was in the showroom, I could not swear that XT50 was way inferior; in fact it was at par.

ST50 really shines when watching movies on true (1080p) hd via blu-ray. Note that hd transmission from tatasky or airtel, etc. is 1080i. The ST50 also has the NeoPDP panel, infinite black pro filter, 5.5m:1 contrast and other such specs which makes viewing movies such a joy.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

& Btw without bill shouldnt be a problem if you buying from a good shop. If you were in Delhi or Mumbai i would have helped you in getting a tv withoutbill becuase i know a guy who sells them and i also buy it from there.

It may be possible for me to have the TV picked up in Mumbai. Can you indicate approximate prices for 55" Sony and Samsung LEDs?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back