In which Samsung LCD/LED TV can i get a guaranteed Samsung SPVA "SQ01" Panel?

indiglo

Dear friends,..this is my first post here & i am already in a sort of stressful problem!

A few days ago, i purchased a 40"Samsung c530 LCD TV,....but unlucky me,i found out that i got a AUO AA02 AMVA Panel,rather than the SPVA SQ panels which i so much expected!

As is perhaps normal for these poor AMVA Panels, i found the pic quality very bad with multiple problems like light bleeding at RHS & LHS of the panel ,real bad viewing angles where colours particularly black seems drastically shift even with slight change of viewing angle/position,horrendous colour banding( which even my Cheap TN monitor never displayed, & worst improper colour & detail renderings in the shadow area( shadow black areas seem to always be filled with blue or red/brown colour!),mpeg noise, macro blocks & other artificats being displayed in high bitrate Hd/rip videos( which plays butter smooth with least display errors even in my cheap TN PAnel pc monitor),& that too after applying all noise controls in the tv. All these i found out in all the picture settings in default without any calibration & tinkering with all the settings & white balance in different picture modes ,hardly gave any positive results!

I have connected the tv by good quality hdmi cables & High quality Monster component cables,but the errors mentioned as above hardly makes any differences with the connection!

I am now really annoyed at such disgusting panel lottery strategies of samsung & how badly it affects a common customer,who at least expects a minimum set of quality standard from a internationally reputed brand with new technologies, pictures which my 11 year old 29"philips flat CRT flawlessly displayed!

Having now realised this panel/tv will never be able to satisy me proper,as i am quite a sucker of perfection...& my viewing profile is more in HD/FULL hd stuff,where i expected the maximum bang (than the regular digital tv/dth) & having wasted 1/2 lakh on this,i feel terrible now, thus making the tv unacceptable for me!...,& particularly when i'm supposed to keep the tv for next couple of years!

The Samsung service guys, upon call, did came today to look at the problems which is so much troubling me ..though they seem to understand & accept the problems do exist in principle (which i described above) & it's NOT just a mental fabrication of mine upon getting a AA02 AMVA Panel,...however they till now have NOT clarified what they would do in my case .But "IF" they do decide to change the Tv/panel, is there any sure shot way to get a GOOD/Best panels like the Samsung made S-PVA "SQ" Lot panels?.....i can afford to spend 10 or 15k more ,so will upgrading to a better model on a 6 series will automatically guarantee the good SQ panels!

If i get a replacement,as i convincingly requested/told them,...i would be willing 2 accept any other upgrade models but with SPVA(preferably SQ01) Panels only!

so, all in all, my main enquiry here is in which Samsung LCD/LED TV of 40",can i expect to get a GUARANTEED Samsung SPVA "SQ01" Panel?...or would have the highest chances of getting one?

so,plz help me out xperts & friends here with all your knowledge!..this is real important!!!

Last edited:
The current crop of LCD TVs are indeed affected by the issues you have described (Edge LED backlits are WORST hit!). You will get SQ01 on almost all their 3DTV. I recommend going for 46C750 (though I have returned it for the same issues as you described - my 32R8 HD ready is far superior in these department). I initially got (and returned) 46C7000 which was TERRIBLE in those department, 46C750 is much more tolerable (and got it for Rs.40K less!). If you could wait, I recommend waiting for D series of 2011 which MAY improve in these department. Else, I may end up waiting for OLEDs :(

I was thinking of going with 40C530 or 40C550 as they do not have that terrible reflection issue like that in 3DTVs, I am glad you educated us of these models having the same backlight bleed/clouding issue which is very EASILY visible in dark scenes and is QUITE DISTRACTING and IRRITATING.

Last edited:
See has said by others in the other forum ,many have got worser panels like SMVA in their samsung and they are quite happy.

As far what replacement panel you get solely depends on what stock of panels samsung has imported during your replacement , it could be a AMVA or SPVA .No way to guarantee what panel you get.

^^.....i surely think so now!!!
...can going for samsung plasmas solve my problems,if they can do it?
& thanks for the replies friends! :)

Last edited:
Is It possible to have same Panel Problem in 37c530 model ? I am inclined to this one .

also advise on Panasonic 42X20D as alternative of 37c530 to avoid this problem .

I am not sure about Sony TV, however have recently used HD Handycam CX150 which has the SAME backlight bleed issue on its viewfinder.. Seems these new crop of LCDs are using THINNER paper between backlight and LCD (to improve efficiency) which has light uniformity issues

Well with the Sony what you get just one panel.

Please avoid the 37" from both samsung and sony to this date they never came with a SPVA panel.Since the S-lcd corporation doesn't make 37" panels.

How good are the IPS panels (what LG and Panasonic boost of) in comparison with SPVAs like SQ01. Does someone know what Sony TVs contain SQ01 panels?

Is It possible to have same Panel Problem in 37c530 model ? I am inclined to this one .

also advise on Panasonic 42X20D as alternative of 37c530 to avoid this problem .

I presently bought Samsung C530 37 inch. It came with AUX panel. Did not see the problems what the thread-starter has mentioned. With TATA SKY HD, I am satisfied with picture quality.

IPS panels lack the contrast levels of the VA based panels such as SPVA,AMVA,SMVA and UV2A.Particularly the black levels the best of VA based CCFL lcds have a ANSI black level of around 0.03 cd/m2 to 0.05 cd/m2 and match or surpass most plasmas.

None of the IPS panels can match the black level of VA based panels and any plasma without aid from backlight.
They however have the edge in viewing angle.

Philips which primarily used to use IPS panels in early years are now increasingly using VA based panels and from 2009 their high end tvs mostly had VA based panels and their 2011 line up has no tvs based on IPS.

Toshiba also used to use only IPS based panels but even their new tvs especially the high end ones are increasingly using VA based panels

As far as Sony lcds they don't specify what version of SPVA you get.

SQ is a samsung labeling.

SPVA panels that come out from the S-Lcd facilities that are meant for samsung start with LTF and the ones meant for Sony start with LTY.
They vary in backlight and color filter used and outer screen layers which have their own proprietary stuff.
The extreme low ends ones usually use OEM stuff,except for the outer layer.

Last edited:
How good are the IPS panels (what LG and Panasonic boost of) in comparison with SPVAs like SQ01. Does someone know what Sony TVs contain SQ01 panels?

IPS-alpha,S-IPS and IPS-pro has the best color accuracy, viewing angle and decent blacks(depending upon the type of IPS),no clouding effect natively.This is one of the main reason Barco sticks to IPS also many pro lcd makers.

VA panels have slightly better native blacks and contrast(depending upon the type of VA) which is no were close to even any mid range plasma but with back lighting they achieve better results.

Just checked my 46B530 after reading this thread, it is SQ01. :)

Pardon my ignorance, what is so special about it ?

I presently bought Samsung C530 37 inch. It came with AUX panel. Did not see the problems what the thread-starter has mentioned. With TATA SKY HD, I am satisfied with picture quality.

Samsung LA37C530 - 37in, Full HD LCD - for 38k(with Dish-HD set top box) at Ezone . Is it smart Buy ??:yahoo: kindly tell ur Purchase Experience and it Performance . thanks in advance

Well it means you have a SPVA panel that has deep blacks with respect to 2009 standards.

Hi
Can you tell me were you looked on your LCD/LED. to check what panel it had in it. i have a samsung le 40 c650l :)
many thanks

Hi
Can you tell me were you looked on your LCD/LED. to check what panel it had in it. i have a samsung le 40 c650l :)
many thanks

Look at the sticker located at the back its usually located at the sides of the tv.
The sticker contains the serial no along with the panel code.

Alternately enter the service menu by pressing info,menu,mute,power (during standby) look for the code you will find something like 40P1UF3E or 40Axxxxx or 40Lxxxxx etc (note the X could be a alphabet or number like 40P1UF3E),the very next letter after 40 is the one which will determine which panel it is.

For the uninitiated, Samsung has a panel lottery policy for their LCD lineup. Which means, if you walk into a store and pick up a panel, you might end up getting an average, mediocre or an awesome panel! In essence, based on the type of panel technology used in the LCD, you may end up getting an A-MVA panel, S-MVA panel or a S-PVA panel depending on the version number mentioned on a small sticker on the right side of the LCD. The good thing is based on the version number, you can find out the panel you are getting. The bad thing is, as long as the seal of the box is Not broken and the TV is Not taken outside you cannot find out the version number! Some retail outlets may let you pick and choose the LCD, some may not. Ensure that you get an SS/SQ based panel, since S-PVA offers superior contrast levels, deeper blacks, excellent color reproduction among the lot!

Here is a visual example:
images

This sticker can be found stuck on the side of the Tv,...here as above we see/find a "SQ" version which denotes that the Tv has a SPVA panel!

Similarly,we can find the version number and the type of panel corresponding to it:

SS01 /02,03,04/ or SQ01 (02,03,04) S-PVA from Samsung
CN01, CN02 - S-MVA from CMO
BN01 ,BN02 (05,06,07) - S-MVA from CMO
??01 (02,03,04),?C02(04)- A-MVA from AUO
AC02 - new panel A-MVA3 from AUO

Alternatively, u enter the service menu by pressing info,menu,mute,power (during standby) & look for the "Type" in Line no. 10 of the RHS Column
Here is a visual example:

It is possible to make out which panel u have on the basis of the "Type" serial no. The denotion are :

40 inches, the screen size
A panel manufacturer (A = Samsung; D = CMO; L = AUO; I = CPT)
1 frequency (6 = 50/60 Hz; 1 = 100/120 Hz; 2 = 200/240 Hz)
U panel (A = AntiGlare; T = TN; U = Ultra Clear)
F resolution (F = Full HD; H = HD; U = UD)
0 1st, 2nd panel and so on (1st = 0; 2nd = 1 ...)
C backlight unit (C = CCFL; L = LED; E = Edge LED)

Going by the denotion, & the Type srl.no. here,we can make out that the Type 40L6AF0C, by using the above guideline is a 40", AUO panel, 50/60Hz, antiglare panel, full HD & have CCFL tubes.

Now ,finally ,as per Panel Quality is concerned

Spva>Amva>Smva!!!

Hope,this would be useful!

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back