India Launch date of PS3 Slim:

@ Ashish - Don't get me wrong. I'm not making a point of anything.:) Just thinking out loud, rather posting my thoughts:p.
Actually, the best option for Indian consumers right now is what you have done: A BDP with hard mod. This way, all sides are covered. When I do go for a BDP (you can expect many stoopid queries from me), I'll surely think about it.

As for downloading off the net, I'm a good boy and I don't do anything like that:D:eek:hyeah:

@ Ashish - Don't get me wrong. I'm not making a point of anything.:) Just thinking out loud, rather posting my thoughts:p.
Actually, the best option for Indian consumers right now is what you have done: A BDP with hard mod. This way, all sides are covered. When I do go for a BDP (you can expect many stoopid queries from me), I'll surely think about it.

As for downloading off the net, I'm a good boy and I don't do anything like that:D:eek:hyeah:

I am not getting offended or anything here and you are more than welcome to ask about anything about BDps.

I wasn't into downloading either, but since I started it a month back the advantages are huge and saves me a lot of money on media related stuff. Oh and the quality is great as I download all Blu Ray rips.

This is a great forum guys!

I have been thinking of getting into HD for some time now - and am eagerly waiting for the PS3 Slim to launch in India. Thought I'll get some more info from this thread, but it seems we dont know other than some references that it will be be launched sometime in November.

I have seen the slim on ebay as well, though that will be devoid of warranty and will not be Region C (dont know if thats a deal breaker anyway) - was more worried about what to do if the ebay PS3 gives up on me.

A November launch may be OK, if it does not happen, should I wait? Or get one from Ebay? Or get the phat one! Decisions! Decisions!.....

Background of my HT setup:

At this time, I have my 6 year old Infocus X1, an excellent HT PJ for its time, which people at AVSForum say does show substantial improvement in PQ when fed with HD in 720p or 1080i (its a native 480p projector after all).

Have been thinking of both a standalone blu ray player or the PS3 (am not into gaming) but the media streaming capabilities of the PS3 have me leaning to it.

Maybe I will add a 32" Full HD TV to my list as well to experience HD if my projector cannot handle it. Somehow dont want to buy a TV right now that is not full HD :) Cannot afford to upgrade my projector right now so maybe will wait a bit before upgrading it to a 1080p projector or a larger 42"/50" Full HD TV.

Welcome to HFV Manu:)
Decisions! Decisions!.....
Thats the tough part isn't it?

Maybe I will add a 32" Full HD TV to my list as well to experience HD if my projector cannot handle it. Somehow dont want to buy a TV right now that is not full HD :) Cannot afford to upgrade my projector right now so maybe will wait a bit before upgrading it to a 1080p projector or a larger 42"/50" Full HD TV.

I have read that Full HD does not matter/show significant difference on a 32 inch TV. Minimum screen size to experience Full HD is 42 inch. Post this query in the TV section, experts will guide you.

welcome to HFV. This sure is a great forum. The amount knowledge one can gain is exemplary. I sure have learned a lot after I joined HFV. Make sure you punch in your intro in the introductions section.

Regarding 32" HD of FHD: There are already a lot discussions in necessary section. Please read the same before posting.

Cheers

This is a great forum guys!

I have been thinking of getting into HD for some time now - and am eagerly waiting for the PS3 Slim to launch in India. Thought I'll get some more info from this thread, but it seems we dont know other than some references that it will be be launched sometime in November.

I have seen the slim on ebay as well, though that will be devoid of warranty and will not be Region C (dont know if thats a deal breaker anyway) - was more worried about what to do if the ebay PS3 gives up on me.

A November launch may be OK, if it does not happen, should I wait? Or get one from Ebay? Or get the phat one! Decisions! Decisions!.....

Background of my HT setup:

At this time, I have my 6 year old Infocus X1, an excellent HT PJ for its time, which people at AVSForum say does show substantial improvement in PQ when fed with HD in 720p or 1080i (its a native 480p projector after all).

Have been thinking of both a standalone blu ray player or the PS3 (am not into gaming) but the media streaming capabilities of the PS3 have me leaning to it.

Welcome to HFV Manu:)

I have read that Full HD does not matter/show significant difference on a 32 inch TV. Minimum screen size to experience Full HD is 42 inch. Post this query in the TV section, experts will guide you.

I'm here to convince people :lol:

Also there are numerous threads in the TV section which discuss about 32" FHD. It depends on number of factors, If you sit very close to your TV you may be able to differentiate b/w FHD or HD Ready(each to their own).

I missed adding that even after buying a Region A PS3 slim, I am not sure if I have done the right thing or whether I should have bought Region C. This is the tough part and there is no "right thing to do". Both regions have their own advantages and disadvantages in terms of availability of blu rays.

Warranty is something that you should definitely consider. I didn't because the ebay deal was sweetened by interest free EMIs and a free Diwali gift from Ebay worth around Rs.2500 (A 60 Gb 1.8 inch Trek Hard Disk). I wanted to buy the Trek HDD anyways and would have bought it within the next couple of days. So, the PS3 Slim only cost me Rs.16500:). Unfortunately, this deal is over now.

thanks for the responses guys...

At this time am planning to wait for the PS3 Slim to launch in India -
but then yesterday I went to the mall looking at some HDTVs and bought a Panasonic P42G10 because they had the 3 year warranty thing going which is going to end this month itself :) So you never know...:)

thanks for the responses guys...

At this time am planning to wait for the PS3 Slim to launch in India -
but then yesterday I went to the mall looking at some HDTVs and bought a Panasonic P42G10 because they had the 3 year warranty thing going which is going to end this month itself :) So you never know...:)

Congrats Manu,so much did you pay for the TV?

Spoke to the company spokesperson, who has confirmed that the PS3 Slim 120GB (Region C) will be launched tomorrow for a MRP of Rs. 19,990/-

There are no movies or games bundled with the PS3 Slim. Personally, I think the old PS3 80GB, with 2 bundled games, at the same price is a much better deal. Although I think a 'Region A' player makes more sense anyways.

Spoke to the company spokesperson, who has confirmed that the PS3 Slim 120GB (Region C) will be launched tomorrow for a MRP of Rs. 19,990/-

There are no movies or games bundled with the PS3 Slim. Personally, I think the old PS3 80GB, with 2 bundled games, at the same price is a much better deal. Although I think a 'Region A' player makes more sense anyways.

Does PS3 play mkv files?

On its own a PS3 cannot play MKV files but after installing PS3 media server software on your PC you can stream the same to your PS3.

Brother...but one has to make sure the computer used to stream mkvs to PS3 slim has a "nice" processor...something more than a core 2 duo...my AMD X2 64 laptop could not stream the mkv movie in "best settings"...but works like a charm when changed the parameters to "medium quality settings" on PS3 Media server. Point is, it starts stuttering when the mkv file feeds 13+ mbps to the processor for video processing before it streams..the "best quality" settings would feed more than 20Mbps to system processor(1080p)..."high quality" 13+ Mbps and "medium quality" would do somewhere between 4 to 7 Mbps for video...Medium quality does good for 32 inches TV but folks with even larger screens...high and best settings are all the way awesome I think:lol:

errmmm.....was my post confusing?:eek:

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back