India Launch date of PS3 Slim:

Brother...but one has to make sure the computer used to stream mkvs to PS3 slim has a "nice" processor...something more than a core 2 duo...my AMD X2 64 laptop could not stream the mkv movie in "best settings"...but works like a charm when changed the parameters to "medium quality settings" on PS3 Media server. Point is, it starts stuttering when the mkv file feeds 13+ mbps to the processor for video processing before it streams..the "best quality" settings would feed more than 20Mbps to system processor(1080p)..."high quality" 13+ Mbps and "medium quality" would do somewhere between 4 to 7 Mbps for video...Medium quality does good for 32 inches TV but folks with even larger screens...high and best settings are all the way awesome I think:lol:

errmmm.....was my post confusing?:eek:

I have an Athlon X2 processor too in my HTPC and have no problem streaming MKV files or whole DVD's to my PS3. Are you doing wireless? In that case you might face problems. I am having the computer and the PS3 wired physically.

With the PS3mediaserver, I really think the PS3 gets itself into the league of the other media players like WDTV, Xtreamer etc. In fact, if I were in the market for such a device now, it would be a slam dunk in favour of the PS3 - provided I already have a computer.

I have an Athlon X2 processor too in my HTPC and have no problem streaming MKV files or whole DVD's to my PS3. Are you doing wireless? In that case you might face problems. I am having the computer and the PS3 wired physically.

With the PS3mediaserver, I really think the PS3 gets itself into the league of the other media players like WDTV, Xtreamer etc. In fact, if I were in the market for such a device now, it would be a slam dunk in favour of the PS3 - provided I already have a computer.

Vortex: The discussion is for wireless.

Brother...but one has to make sure the computer used to stream mkvs to PS3 slim has a "nice" processor...something more than a core 2 duo...my AMD X2 64 laptop could not stream the mkv movie in "best settings"...but works like a charm when changed the parameters to "medium quality settings" on PS3 Media server. Point is, it starts stuttering when the mkv file feeds 13+ mbps to the processor for video processing before it streams..the "best quality" settings would feed more than 20Mbps to system processor(1080p)..."high quality" 13+ Mbps and "medium quality" would do somewhere between 4 to 7 Mbps for video...Medium quality does good for 32 inches TV but folks with even larger screens...high and best settings are all the way awesome I think:lol:

errmmm.....was my post confusing?:eek:

Your post is not confusing at all, and yes that a limitation of the PS3 media server which doesn't let you play full hd files over the wireless network, also it takes a lot of time to play contents too. This weakness led me to buy a Xtreamer and since then I never looked back.

Bhailog..sorry for the late reply...I apologize to you guys for not specifying that my post was w.r.t streaming mkvs to PS3 slim via wireless using PS3 Media server. I tried media tomb...where I couldn't customize the HD quality for streaming resulting stuttering video. Then I came across this GEM, PS3 media server, which was developed by a guy just like that. Man, it works so seamless..fully customizable...I now stream flacs, mkvs, pics etc. I am just waiting for youtube and web features on it...or am I unaware of it?

Vortex bhai....I am hoping to have a nice HTPC some time in future..I might have wired one then..or connect it directly to AVR...long way to go though.

Abhishek bhai..I see that you are a movie buff like me... I like gaming too....so went for PS3 slim...but bhai...one has to be rich when it comes to gaming and movies on PS3..expensive games, expensive BD discs :sad:....moreover, now I've realized that with gaming I alone can enjoy...but movies..everybody at home can enjoy..I feel many times that I should have gone for xtreamer and never look back:lol:..a real speed internet connection and do some torrenting...there you go...Movies all the way for family reasonably at a low price...whoah..that was a huge OT by me..sorry.

Regards,
Naren

Bhailog..sorry for the late reply...I apologize to you guys for not specifying that my post was w.r.t streaming mkvs to PS3 slim via wireless using PS3 Media server. I tried media tomb...where I couldn't customize the HD quality for streaming resulting stuttering video. Then I came across this GEM, PS3 media server, which was developed by a guy just like that. Man, it works so seamless..fully customizable...I now stream flacs, mkvs, pics etc. I am just waiting for youtube and web features on it...or am I unaware of it?

Vortex bhai....I am hoping to have a nice HTPC some time in future..I might have wired one then..or connect it directly to AVR...long way to go though.

Abhishek bhai..I see that you are a movie buff like me... I like gaming too....so went for PS3 slim...but bhai...one has to be rich when it comes to gaming and movies on PS3..expensive games, expensive BD discs :sad:....moreover, now I've realized that with gaming I alone can enjoy...but movies..everybody at home can enjoy..I feel many times that I should have gone for xtreamer and never look back:lol:..a real speed internet connection and do some torrenting...there you go...Movies all the way for family reasonably at a low price...whoah..that was a huge OT by me..sorry.

Regards,
Naren

You could always buy an XMP :p

Jokes apart - You could get games for cheap by picking second hand one's. Also you could download the movies which are directly playable on PS3 without conversion and streaming - .m2ts with blu ray structure. Take it in USB and play it or just have a external hard disc always connected to as I have.

Oh and as Vortex has mentioned I've everything physically wired, that's the best bet for streaming I believe. For few hundred bucks you could complete it.

Slightly OT - How does XMP fair in streaming over wireless?

You could always buy an XMP
Slightly OT - How does XMP fair in streaming over wireless?

Xmp handles streaming upto 720p contents very well. The problem comes when it comes to full HD contents, and its really fast on loading times in comparison to Ps3.

Xmp handles streaming upto 720p contents very well. The problem comes when it comes to full HD contents, and its really fast on loading times in comparison to Ps3.

That's good to know, May be because XMP plays MKV's natively and PC doesn't bear the grunt. It's high time Sony bring MKV support.

Your post is not confusing at all, and yes that a limitation of the PS3 media server which doesn't let you play full hd files over the wireless network, also it takes a lot of time to play contents too. This weakness led me to buy a Xtreamer and since then I never looked back.

I did not read your reply properly. I think my previous post wasn't clear. You can stream HD MKV files if you customize the video quality settings on "transcoding settings" tab in PMS UI. You will find the below mentioned parameters in a dropdown box. First 3 settings may do well on wired connection(need confirmation), the last 3 wifi settings are to be selected for wifi streaming. I tested MQ-wifi and LQ-wifi settings on an 8 GB Troy mkv, results were smooth and no stuttering. But all others were resulting in stutter while video streaming. The same encoder tips section suggest that it needs a nice processor chip to do stutter-free transcoding of HD videos. Play around when you get some time. Ofcourse, please bear in mind that we will compromise on video quality on 1 or 2 settings as per your TV screen size.

-------------BQ----LQ/CB----GQ----GQ-wifi----MQ-wifi----LQ-wifi
Keyint------- 1-------1--------3-------25---------25--------25
vqscale-------1-------1--------2
vqmax ---------------------------------5---------- 7---------8
vqmin -------2-------1--------3--------2-----------2---------3

BQ = Best Quality
LQ/CB = Lossless Quality, Crazy Bitrate
GQ = Good Quality
GQ-wifi = Good Quality for HD wifi transcoding
MQ-wifi = Medium Quality for HD wifi transcoding
LQ-wifi = Low quality, low end CPU for HD wifi transcoding

P.S: I don't know what these keyint, vqscale etc mean. Probably an opensource coder can explain what those parameters will do actually.

Regards,
Naren

Last edited:
Thanks teky...let me quote that needed part from the link you posted as it might be useful to play around for anyone

Keyint means keyframes, keyint=3 means that every third frame is a keyframe which is a complete picture. In between there are two pictures which only contain differences to the predecessing picture. A high value for keyint will result in a lower network bandwith but will also cause bad quality in fast action scenes in movies. There are also so called quantizer values (vqmqx, vqmin, vqscale). High values result in low quality. I suggest to try out some of the Values available in dropdown.

Venkus,

The Cell processor in the PS3 is no match for the Core2Duo. This is a common mistake made really. It is really only PowerPC compatible. There are numerous reviews of the processor. Do look them up. The strength of this chip is in the graphics department not necessarily processing. If you load Windows on the PS3 (theoretically), the box is going to go to sleep.

With Linus this will still be a usable computer!

Ashish - I just dont get you when you talk of long loading times in the PS3. Maybe this is also something related to wireless. My PS3 has been nothing short of staggering when it comes to response (loading time or when I hit controls like pause, stop, play, next etc.).

Also the whole concept of the PS3 Media Server is that it takes the load to the PC - the PS3 simply is the front end. That is the reason MPlayer is installed when you install PS3MediaServer. All the grunt work is being done by the PC. The controls are from the PS3. In a way, this is like a simple, rudimentary client/server relationship.

To get the thread back to topic,

Does anyone know if the PS3 slim has come to any store???
It has launched on 25th, but havent seen it anywhere... specifically, has it come to any store in Delhi/Gurgaon??

it's not reached the stores in pune either as of yesterday.

you could leave your phone number at the stores and wait for them to call you as soon as it is available :)

With Linus this will still be a usable computer!
This is due to the fact that Sony has not given full control of its hardware to the third party software installed in PS3 and in case of linux too only 4 Cells out of 8 cells of Cell processor has been given the control on to Linux whereas if all the 8 cells are released then the procesing would become much faster. You can even install Windows 98 to a ps3 as of now after installing Linux onto it, and it runs well onto it.
Ashish - I just dont get you when you talk of long loading times in the PS3. Maybe this is also something related to wireless. My PS3 has been nothing short of staggering when it comes to response (loading time or when I hit controls like pause, stop, play, next etc.).

When I wrote that it takes a lot of loading time, by this I meant that when you press select on to a file it takes a hell lot of time (again over a wireless network) to play that file.

Ps3 slim is officially avaliable from today in all Sony stores as well as with their authoirised dealers for 19990. Expect a discount of around 1000 - 1500 on it, but for that you have to negotiate really hard. Good luck guys

Last edited:
Ps3 slim is officially avaliable from today in all Sony stores as well as with their authoirised dealers for 19990. Expect a discount of around 1000 - 1500 on it, but for that you have to negotiate really hard. Good luck guys
still not released in pune. i checked with the sony center, aundh a short while back!

Today I saw it at Gaffar Market (Karol Bagh) in Delhi for Rs. 18500 with 2 original games offered free.

Does it play SACD? At some international discussion forums, some say that slim model will play SACD....

Back