India Launch date of PS3 Slim:

they are not out in croma, mumbai. there they said dont know when it'll come!!

called up sony helpline and first d guy said its only launched in US no plans for india as yet!! then when i insisted that internet based dealers had received supplies he said he will check with his manager. he kept me on hold then said it wont be launched before dec end. again i argued that its on ebay with 1 yr sony warranty, he said we have no info about this...WTH!!:mad:

this is how 'professionally run' private companies in india are then you can imagine why the govt's are so badly run. :p

called up sony helpline and first d guy said its only launched in US no plans for india as yet!! then when i insisted that internet based dealers had received supplies he said he will check with his manager. he kept me on hold then said it wont be launched before dec end. again i argued that its on ebay with 1 yr sony warranty, he said we have no info about this...WTH!!:mad:

this is how 'professionally run' private companies in india are then you can imagine why the govt's are so badly run. :p

I am not surprised at wat u have been told. I have had similar treatment meted out to me by other companies. I am sure they will not be aware of the product on their Indian website

PLAYSTATION 3 120GB : Console : PlayStation3 : Sony India

Venkus,

The Cell processor in the PS3 is no match for the Core2Duo. This is a common mistake made really. It is really only PowerPC compatible. There are numerous reviews of the processor. Do look them up. The strength of this chip is in the graphics department not necessarily processing. If you load Windows on the PS3 (theoretically), the box is going to go to sleep.
Also the whole concept of the PS3 Media Server is that it takes the load to the PC - the PS3 simply is the front end. That is the reason MPlayer is installed when you install PS3MediaServer. All the grunt work is being done by the PC. The controls are from the PS3. In a way, this is like a simple, rudimentary client/server relationship.

Yep, you hit the nail on head. Many do think that ps3 processor has a role in streaming/decoding/transcoding. My recent posts on this thread were to clear that misconception. Like you've reiterated, it is indeed the computer's processor which does the transcoding. Better the processor, clearer the PQ.

Ashish--long loading times and stuttering can happen for 2 reasons after all care has been taken regarding error free mencoder installation, skipping firewall & PS3 is found on PSM.

1) Weak processor on computer. (can be addressed by adjusting video quality settings on PSM)
2) Weak wireless reception.

elimination method would help you here to resolve this. Gurus, please correct me if I am wrong anywhere.

Naren

When I wrote that it takes a lot of loading time, by this I meant that when you press select on to a file it takes a hell lot of time (again over a wireless network) to play that file.

Ashish,

Did you try small sized files like mp3 or jpgs? on XMB, JPGs can be accessed under Photos and MP3s under music....I know its obvious:eek:..but I'm just trying to help you.

Naren

P.S. Manu man..sorry for the OT..I don't know why I am taking his problem so personally.

Just ask this guy of yours to go to Sony India website where its officially launched. Sony India

Yep, you hit the nail on head. Many do think that ps3 processor has a role in streaming/decoding/transcoding. My recent posts on this thread were to clear that misconception. Like you've reiterated, it is indeed the computer's processor which does the transcoding. Better the processor, clearer the PQ.

Ashish--long loading times and stuttering can happen for 2 reasons after all care has been taken regarding error free mencoder installation, skipping firewall & PS3 is found on PSM.

1) Weak processor on computer. (can be addressed by adjusting video quality settings on PSM)
2) Weak wireless reception.

elimination method would help you here to resolve this. Gurus, please correct me if I am wrong anywhere.

Naren

I have a dual core processor in my Laptop with 2Gb ram so its not week on that front and even after connecting through the netwok cable it takes a hell lot of time in comparison with Xtreamer like devices.

Ashish,

Did you try small sized files like mp3 or jpgs? on XMB, JPGs can be accessed under Photos and MP3s under music....I know its obvious:eek:..but I'm just trying to help you.

Naren

Yes mp3 files are quicker in comparison to other formats as the file size is too small. But all the files which I have are all more than 2.5 gb for movies and for music I have apple lossless files of more than 30Mb in size so it takes a hell lot of time to change tracks even for music files. But when I connect my external HDD to the Ps3 USB port and boot linux and then use VLC the reponse time of each file is reduced drastically.

This is due to the fact that Sony has not given full control of its hardware to the third party software installed in PS3 and in case of linux too only 4 Cells out of 8 cells of Cell processor has been given the control on to Linux whereas if all the 8 cells are released then the procesing would become much faster. You can even install Windows 98 to a ps3 as of now after installing Linux onto it, and it runs well onto it.

When I wrote that it takes a lot of loading time, by this I meant that when you press select on to a file it takes a hell lot of time (again over a wireless network) to play that file.

True about Sony not giving full control of all its cores in the PS3. But see those other cores are built to handle Graphics processing in particular. The biggest drawback of the PS3 as a computer is is limited (256 MB?) RAM.

But with Linux, this need not be an issue at all. I know of Linux systems which practically fly even on 64 MB RAM in comparison to Windows based Operating Systems. There can be no comparison between how Windows 98 fares on the PS3 versus a Linux based distribution.

I actually think of the PS3 as the most highly evolved gaming/multimedia device of our times. When you think of the breadth of tasks that it can perform with felicity - with or without plugins (all free of course) it is breath taking.

About response times, that is one reason I am actually thinking of regulary using my PS3 as the front end for my media playing routine. It is just lightning fast. Of course in my case it is wired. Your point about wireless transmission being slow is a very important one. If the Xtreamer does not have a delay in playing then the problem may not lie with your internet connection as such. Maybe this is something you should report to the PS3 Media Server guys? You would be amazed at how responsive some of the open source developers are! All the best.

I finally bought the PS3 Slim yesterday :)
It is available for 19990 at Jumbo in Amience Mall Gurgaon - got a good deal since I had talked to the store manager last week and pre-booked - should be available at all stores today anyway.

Rented Valkyrie and a Call of Duty game to try it out... Love it so far.

Using PS3MediaServer for wirelessly streaming videos (divx, SD) from my PC to the PS3.

The PS3 is not in the same room as the computer, and wired connection is not an option. Dont know how to improve it - there was talk about a bridge mode using 2 'n' routers. Would that work? May be an expensive solution though.

Manu,

Congrats for your purchase :clapping:

Can't you run a cable even by sending through windows etc? It's most VFM you could ever do.

Also PS3 doesn't work with few "n" routers, Check it before buying. Why would you need to bridge 2 "n" routers - I'm not understanding that :confused:

True about Sony not giving full control of all its cores in the PS3. But see those other cores are built to handle Graphics processing in particular. The biggest drawback of the PS3 as a computer is is limited (256 MB?) RAM.

But with Linux, this need not be an issue at all. I know of Linux systems which practically fly even on 64 MB RAM in comparison to Windows based Operating Systems. There can be no comparison between how Windows 98 fares on the PS3 versus a Linux based distribution.

I actually think of the PS3 as the most highly evolved gaming/multimedia device of our times. When you think of the breadth of tasks that it can perform with felicity - with or without plugins (all free of course) it is breath taking.

About response times, that is one reason I am actually thinking of regulary using my PS3 as the front end for my media playing routine. It is just lightning fast. Of course in my case it is wired. Your point about wireless transmission being slow is a very important one. If the Xtreamer does not have a delay in playing then the problem may not lie with your internet connection as such. Maybe this is something you should report to the PS3 Media Server guys? You would be amazed at how responsive some of the open source developers are! All the best.

Very well written up thevortex. Wouldn't have said it any better, Now hope Sony hires you for marketing :p

PS3 is really a very good VFM puchase for people who buy that as a primarily gaming console. The features like media playback and installing other OS's are making it an ultimate media centre (Not comparing here with stand alone one's - But all in one's). However Sony's OS is what has got it crippled so far, With Open Source software's like PS3MS the possibilities are opening up. I had previously tried Tversity before switching to PS3MS. The programmer has just made it pure plug & play, unlike TVersity which I had hard time with. Also the Ethernet link within the machine is gigabit capable, if you could get a good CAT 5 cable and Gigabit enabled switch you're all done.

3D support is going to added to PS3 shortly, possibly next summer and it would be the first to get it on a commercial console. Now if Sony's developers could spend sometime in making it an even better media centre than spending like things PS home (Seriously WTF) and gimmick links to Facebook & iPlayer it will better sell as a console & media centre.

To all guys who are struggling to get Wired connection across rooms please try and search if home plugs (85Mbps) is available in India. This will allow you take Ethernet over Power lines provided they are within the same fuse box. There also one's with can run upto 200Mbps capable enough of streaming HD contents flawlessly.

sumit : if you are looking to buy ps3 for only watching BDs , man think again
a standalone BDP will play your bds far better, there is issues of decoding all the hd audio formats with ps3 slim/fat

if u are into gaming then its fine

even controlling the menu features using ps3 is kinda vague holding the ps3 remote/joystick ( saw this in santhosh,s place)

i wud and have put my money for standalone BDPs

dont worry abt region coding man
i have 2 bdps regA and regC
am yet to come across any bds that the reg A player has not read

all bds released by big home video is multi region so theres no issues , can be played in either

excel is another company with bds ,also muliregion discs

although sony bds say ABC , the reg A bdp failed to read one disc (have had this issue only with one sony disc , angels and demons which the reg A bdp cudnt read)

if u plan to watch the Bds bought or rented from here then reg A/ C wudnt matter
but if u plan to buy bds from US then go for regA

if watching bds is the main criteria stick to ---pioneer/ oppo/ pana
read any reviews they say ps3 is good but is beaten by standalone bdps

Subhash, I appreciate your comments. I have also read at a number of places about PS3's PQ inferior to budget level BDP.

However, I spoke with Ashish - he owns a PS3 and an Oppo BD-83. He thinks there is a difference in PQ but albeit not a great one.
@Ashish> Your Comments:

Lets see what I end up buying when I go to the Sony store.

Cheers!!

sumit : if you are looking to buy ps3 for only watching BDs , man think again
a standalone BDP will play your bds far better, there is issues of decoding all the hd audio formats with ps3 slim/fat

if u are into gaming then its fine

even controlling the menu features using ps3 is kinda vague holding the ps3 remote/joystick ( saw this in santhosh,s place)

i wud and have put my money for standalone BDPs

dont worry abt region coding man
i have 2 bdps regA and regC
am yet to come across any bds that the reg A player has not read

all bds released by big home video is multi region so theres no issues , can be played in either

excel is another company with bds ,also muliregion discs

although sony bds say ABC , the reg A bdp failed to read one disc (have had this issue only with one sony disc , angels and demons which the reg A bdp cudnt read)

if u plan to watch the Bds bought or rented from here then reg A/ C wudnt matter
but if u plan to buy bds from US then go for regA

if watching bds is the main criteria stick to ---pioneer/ oppo/ pana
read any reviews they say ps3 is good but is beaten by standalone bdps

Last edited:
yes it would be good to know in real world conditions how much actual pq difference there is between a ps3, oppo bdp and panasonic/sony bdp player.

As I own both the players and yes there is a difference in the picture quality of both the players vis oppo bdp83 vs ps3 whereas Ps3 contains some sort of picture noise which is noticable specially in the case of DVD playback whereas if BDs are conserned then the difference between the two players is very hard to find. I don't say that Oppo's performance is on par with PS3 but when it comes to performance per price ratio then Ps3 stands out as the ultimate machine which acts as gaming console, BD player, DVD player, SACD player, Media Player and in older PS3 even as computer after installing Linux onto it.
At this price point of 20K nothing could beat Ps3 for its versitality.

My situation is as such that i already own an Oppo DV-983H which is a good upscaler for dvd's. So rather than spending all the money on an oppo bdp i was just thinking of buying a panasonic model with region free mod exclusively for blu ray.

My situation is as such that i already own an Oppo DV-983H which is a good upscaler for dvd's. So rather than spending all the money on an oppo bdp i was just thinking of buying a panasonic model with region free mod exclusively for blu ray.

I think that it would be a sensible decision, since you already own a Oppo DVD player and there is no NTSC/Pal issues with the Blu Ray format so you could buy a Panasonic BD 60 or 80 from US and then apply a hard mod to it for making it multi region, which would cost you around 18-20K all inclusive.

Ashish: Subhash commented that " There are issues of decoding of all HD codecs in PS3". Have you experienced any of this? Do you agree with this?

Back