Integrated Amplifier suggestion under 1 lakh

prozkater

Current setup :
Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 on a big desk
SMSL A300 / SMSL DA9 amplifier + SMSL D300 DAC
Wiim Pro for streaming needs (on the way), even though the bluetooth SQ on D300 is pretty competent
Polk HTS 12 sub (so sub out / pre out is a must)

I will be selling the SMSL amps and DAC this Saturday to a friend, so I am looking to upgrade to a better integrated amplifier.

Budget: Upto 1 lakh (I am also open to pre-owned items)

1. My first thought was to get the Bluesound Powernode 2021 version, but it seems like it is not available in India anymore. I did find the Powernode 2i (60wpc version) on vplak though, but considering the price at which it is listed, I'll give it a pass. The 2021 version is available on Tanotis but I don't know if that site can even be trusted.

2. Since I also intend to change the speakers very soon, probably Dali Oberon 3/5 , Focal Chora 806, Denton 85th or Triangle br08 , I am looking for matching amps, also I hear Marantz is not a good match for Wharfedales? So probably no Marantz amp.

3. Cambridge Audio CXA81, CXA61, Rotel A11 Tribute, Audiolab 6000A comes to mind, although some are out of my budget.

4. Not sure if the above amps will be significantly better than the SMSL stack. Compared to Quad Vena which is more or less the same as Leak Stereo 130, the smsl stack is much better to my liking in every way. Also, I read somewhere the Leak Stereo 130 and Audiolab 6000A share the same internals or some sort and are not too different in terms of sound?

5. Looking for the cheapest route, preferably used and under 60k if possible. Max budget 1 lakh, can stretch a bit, but I do not wish to spend more than 1L at this time.

6. USB DAC is also a must.

7. How is Emotiva TA-1? It has usb dac with sub out (LPF and HPF).

8. Regarding Cambridge Audio AXR85/100 , are these more or less the same as CXA61/81 series if I used a separate DAC?

9. Help :)

Last edited:
hope your chase for the sound you like stops here
🌚

@amrutmhatre90 Narrator: It didn't.

btw based on that thread and budget, I went for pm8006 and I am happy with it as my first amp.

People say it has less Marantzy sound than other Marantz amps so it might actually work with your concerns.

@amrutmhatre90 Narrator: It didn't.

btw based on that thread and budget, I went for pm8006 and I am happy with it as my first amp.

People say it has less Marantzy sound than other Marantz amps so it might actually work with your concerns.
True, with the dali oberons I think the pm8006 should pair wonderfully well, however I am a bit concerned in case I go the denton 85th route, hoping someone with experience will shed light on these

I am looking for matching amps, also I hear Marantz is not a good match for Wharfedales? So probably no Marantz amp.
The last time I heard a Marantz + Wharfedale pairing, it was not great. I attribute that to the loudspeaker. A harder to drive B&W sounded better so clearly, the amplifier was doing its job.

Its possible your Wharfedale is a newer, better model in the lineup so might be worthwhile listening with a Marantz before ruling it out. No harm done.

Emotiva's TA-1 is a excellent choice. The trouble will be auditioning one.

This Denon 900HNE is pretty good too.

You have a lot of options upto a lac. Listen to every one that is accessible to you before you make a decision.

When I bought my Wharfdale Diamond 12.1, I had auditioned them on Audiolab 7000A . It was very good.

Later with 12.3, the soundstage expanded.

Do check them out. They are from the same parent company.

Current setup :
Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 on a big desk
SMSL A300 / SMSL DA9 amplifier + SMSL D300 DAC
Wiim Pro for streaming needs (on the way), even though the bluetooth SQ on D300 is pretty competent
Polk HTS 12 sub (so sub out / pre out is a must)

I will be selling the SMSL amps and DAC this Saturday to a friend, so I am looking to upgrade to a better integrated amplifier.

Budget: Upto 1 lakh (I am also open to pre-owned items)

1. My first thought was to get the Bluesound Powernode 2021 version, but it seems like it is not available in India anymore. I did find the Powernode 2i (60wpc version) on vplak though, but considering the price at which it is listed, I'll give it a pass. The 2021 version is available on Tanotis but I don't know if that site can even be trusted.

2. Since I also intend to change the speakers very soon, probably Dali Oberon 3/5 , Focal Chora 806, Denton 85th or Triangle br08 , I am looking for matching amps, also I hear Marantz is not a good match for Wharfedales? So probably no Marantz amp.
In my experience, Marantz sounds fine with Wharfedales. But they could do with a bit more attack.
3. Cambridge Audio CXA81, CXA61, Rotel A11 Tribute, Audiolab 6000A comes to mind, although some are out of my budget.

4. Not sure if the above amps will be significantly better than the SMSL stack. Compared to Quad Vena which is more or less the same as Leak Stereo 130, the smsl stack is much better to my liking in every way. Also, I read somewhere the Leak Stereo 130 and Audiolab 6000A share the same internals or some sort and are not too different in terms of sound?
Yup, the leak integrated is based on the Quad Vena, not the Audiolab.

i use the SMSL DA9 too and while it's a fantastic little amp that sounds just fine for the price, the CXA81 sounds better in every which way.

The SMSL sounds very good with budget gear but for some of my more demanding loudspeakers, it provides that extra dose of magic which is necessary to get them alive and kicking.

does it sound 1L better? The value perception of any item is very personal. For the entire gamut of talents that it possesses over the SMSL stack, from SQ to I/O, it's worth it in my book.

Do note that it sounds slightly sharper than the SMSL, especially with it's onboard DAC though it's flavour complements the inherent sound signature of the Amp rather well. It's got a distinct house sound while the SMSL is more neutral.
5. Looking for the cheapest route, preferably used and under 60k if possible. Max budget 1 lakh, can stretch a bit, but I do not wish to spend more than 1L at this time.

6. USB DAC is also a must.

7. How is Emotiva TA-1? It has usb dac with sub out (LPF and HPF).

8. Regarding Cambridge Audio AXR85/100 , are these more or less the same as CXA61/81 series if I used a separate DAC?
Dunno about cxa61 but CXA81 sounds different from the AXR.

Another Amp you should consider is the Naim Nait 5si.

Last edited:
The POWERNODE and
Even the new
Powernode" edge" ( for audiophiles onna lower budget who can make do with less power )

are very much AVAILBLE IN INDIA

Through bluesound authorised dealers

I would advice use bluesound node only for Streaming duties, excellent at that.
Do no think about using the inbuild dac or speaker outs, your stack might be better.

I have had Wharfs 11.2 for sometime, decent speakers but to warm and laid back for my taste with Pm8006. Audiolab brought the details and attack which was missing.
Audiolab also has excellent DAC, your Wiim Pro will be good candidate for it but lacks USB input.
But if your going with Dentons I would highly suggest Audiolab or even Leak 130.
The best part of Audiolab has been it doesn’t change the sound of speakers, rather it brings best out of them, even if you use bright speakers it won’t be harsh or fatiguing at all. I have used KEFs too with them for a long time till I received Lintons.

I recently helped my friend setup a system which consists of Mission QX2 And Denon 600ne
OMG the bass out if QX2 is crazy! its detailed punchy.
Do check out this if it fits your budget.

Cambridge amps are also very very good, both CXA61/81 sound beautiful but I haven’t heard them at my place.

And Marantz and Denon both sound different.

If you have patience, you might get pre owned ones and save some cash.

Happy to help in answering more doubts

The last time I heard a Marantz + Wharfedale pairing, it was not great. I attribute that to the loudspeaker. A harder to drive B&W sounded better so clearly, the amplifier was doing its job.

Its possible your Wharfedale is a newer, better model in the lineup so might be worthwhile listening with a Marantz before ruling it out. No harm done.

Emotiva's TA-1 is a excellent choice. The trouble will be auditioning one.

This Denon 900HNE is pretty good too.

You have a lot of options upto a lac. Listen to every one that is accessible to you before you make a decision.
Unfortunately, where I am from I have to make a blind purchase, I have tried the diamond 12.2 and polk r200 with Quad Vena, PMA600NE, topping pa5/e50 stack and smsl a300/da9 + smsl d300 dac plus some ifi zen one signature/zen dac v2. Out of these I like the SMSL da9 and D300 with SDB mode turned ON the most. But I am still not getting that class AB magic, I don't know how to put it in words, but something is still missing.

In my experience, Marantz sounds fine with Wharfedales. But they could do with a bit more attack.

Yup, the leak integrated is based on the Quad Vena, not the Audiolab.

i use the SMSL DA9 too and while it's a fantastic little amp that sounds just fine for the price, the CXA81 sounds better in every which way.

The SMSL sounds very good with budget gear but for some of my more demanding loudspeakers, it provides that extra dose of magic which is necessary to get them alive and kicking.

does it sound 1L better? The value perception of any item is very personal. For the entire gamut of talents that it possesses over the SMSL stack, from SQ to I/O, it's worth it in my book.

Do note that it sounds slightly sharper than the SMSL, especially with it's onboard DAC though it's flavour complements the inherent sound signature of the Amp rather well. It's got a distinct house sound while the SMSL is more neutral.

Dunno about cxa61 but CXA81 sounds different from the AXR.

Another Amp you should consider is the Naim Nait 5si.
Thanks for shedding light on the above, The Naim Nait 5si is unfortunately out of my budget. Indeed I absolutely love the sound of the SMSL DA9 especially when paired with SMSL D300. My only concern with the CXA81 is that, my next speaker will most likely be the Denton 85th or Focal Chora 806. With the Denton I am not sure about its pairing, I think it will do just fine. But in case I get the Chora 806, I think the cxa81 and chora 806 will be too much in terms of treble energy. Also, since I already have a Polk HTS 12 sub, I am leaning towards the Chora 806 over the Denton 85. Kindly correct me if my judgement on the pairing is wrong. Also, if I indeed chose to go with the Chora 806, which amp and dac would you suggest?

On an unrelated note, how's the 12.2 like compared to QX-2?
On a desk, the 12.2 is much better than the QX2, and the dali spektor 2 beats the 12.2 on a desk in my room. However, when placed on a stand and midfield listening, I think the QX2 beats both 12.2 and spektor 2. The bass is much much better on the qx2, but I still prefer the 12.2 over the qx2 mainly because of my music preference.

The POWERNODE and
Even the new
Powernode" edge" ( for audiophiles onna lower budget who can make do with less power )

are very much AVAILBLE IN INDIA

Through bluesound authorised dealers
Could you kindly guide me towards the dealer pls. I could not find one.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back