Interest Check: LPs

Forget others being careful Srini. I was not confident about myself...I hand-carried two records from Singapore and I was worried about it till it reached my home. Just that the size of LPs and its thickness makes it very prone to damage. LPs also come with a cardboard case, not a jewelbox like CD, so again shipping would be a problem. IMO, just not worth the trouble.

Your intent is very good, but I would leave LPs alone:)

Ya ya, i agree with you! Let me have all of them! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thank you, all, for your interest

First, I'd like to apologise from not responding as often as I should have, work pressure has been a little more than normal in the past few weeks and while I've checked the forum off and on on my phone, replying has been a bit trickier.

second, I am out of town (country actually) for a Vaca, starting friday, so if we can work out some logistics before that, great, if not, it'll have to wait till i'm back around 8th.

having said that, i have no point of view on how you guys want to split the LPs. other than a commitment to Santhol2 for first choice on a few LPs, I am cool with whatever you guys decide.

what I would be keen on is that all the lps go. I've only listed those, which on visual inspection are playable (most, esp those rated below 5 on either jacket or LP would need a good wash), and I'd hope that there is everything is of interest at least someone.

May I therefore recommend something? each city could have a coordinator (santhol2 for bangalore, MBR for chennai, a volunteer for mumbai), who could compile the list for each city (and the city's catchment for non metro dwellers who visit those cities) and resolve any difference by mail / pm /phone. give me a compiled list for each city and i'll figure out how to get the LPs to each coordinator.

would that work for everybody?

any other ideas on how to go about this, please share!

thanks

Hi Kapvin,

I think for Banglore and chennai you can compile and sent to one place and it can be collected (to Santhosh- i can collect it in banglore and distirbute to chennai members and nearby)-If you send to chennai and i can handover to Santhosh... So 2 metros =1 lot

Atleast i will have a reason and oppurtunity to visit/meet santhosh atlast..

Ya ya, i agree with you! Let me have all of them! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Caught me off guard eh Manav:lol:. Well, it has to be transported somehow and transporting in bulk is safer than transporting one or two LPs.

But seriously, some tips from you on transporting LPs would help. You buy a lot from abroad. Would be useful to know the precautions sellers take while shipping.

second, I am out of town (country actually) for a Vaca, starting friday, so if we can work out some logistics before that, great, if not, it'll have to wait till i'm back around 8th.
Kapil, if it has to be done by tomorrow and you are comfortable with it considering you are planning a vacation .... I suggest some member maybe hitensitapara or manav (malvai) can pick up the whole lot and ship it to the co-ordinators. Else, we'll work out something after you return.

having said that, i have no point of view on how you guys want to split the LPs. other than a commitment to Santhol2 for first choice on a few LPs, I am cool with whatever you guys decide.
Appreciate that mate:).

what I would be keen on is that all the lps go. I've only listed those, which on visual inspection are playable (most, esp those rated below 5 on either jacket or LP would need a good wash), and I'd hope that there is everything is of interest at least someone.

May I therefore recommend something? each city could have a coordinator (santhol2 for bangalore, MBR for chennai, a volunteer for mumbai), who could compile the list for each city (and the city's catchment for non metro dwellers who visit those cities) and resolve any difference by mail / pm /phone. give me a compiled list for each city and i'll figure out how to get the LPs to each coordinator.
I am game for this. You could divide these unsorted LPs on a random basis and send to the co-ordinators. We'll give them some basic cleaning (as required), catalogue them based on condition on this thread and distribute it to interested members.

Hi Kapvin,

I think for Banglore and chennai you can compile and sent to one place and it can be collected (to Santhosh- i can collect it in banglore and distirbute to chennai members and nearby)-If you send to chennai and i can handover to Santhosh... So 2 metros =1 lot

Atleast i will have a reason and oppurtunity to visit/meet santhosh atlast..
Sounds good Srini, makes it easy for Kapil too. He can send it to Chennai or Bangalore, we'll ensure it reaches the other city. I am sure we all have members/friends frequently driving between the two cities.

Kapil, if it has to be done by tomorrow and you are comfortable with it considering you are planning a vacation .... I suggest some member maybe hitensitapara or manav (malvai) can pick up the whole lot and ship it to the co-ordinators. .
Logistically it would not make sense to bring the lot to Kalyan and courier it back from here. It would again go back to mumbai and to their respective destinations. I think if manav can handle it would be better and we can save extra shipping charges.
Regards

I econd to that..Let manav handle that.
If manav is finding it difficult to procure I'll do "the courior work."

Kapil, if it has to be done by tomorrow and you are comfortable with it considering you are planning a vacation .... I suggest some member maybe hitensitapara or manav (malvai) can pick up the whole lot and ship it to the co-ordinators. Else, we'll work out something after you return.

I am game for this. You could divide these unsorted LPs on a random basis and send to the co-ordinators. We'll give them some basic cleaning (as required), catalogue them based on condition on this thread and distribute it to interested members.

Sounds good Srini, makes it easy for Kapil too. He can send it to Chennai or Bangalore, we'll ensure it reaches the other city. I am sure we all have members/friends frequently driving between the two cities.

Like I said, I'm cool whichever way it goes. it's not essential to pick the stuff up tomorrow, if you guys can wait till i return, i can give it then. having said that, if you guys want to pick up the stuff tomorrow, you get your hands on it at each location faster.

guys... lemme know if I can help.... i can get the LP's picked up and shipped... no problems on that!
I know exactly how to pack them, so they should reach in super condition!

that's great.. if everyone is comfortable with that. i stay in thane, but it's possible to put them in the trunk of my car and bring them to vikhroli, where i work..

I econd to that..Let manav handle that.
If manav is finding it difficult to procure I'll do "the courior work."

whatever works.. you've been to my house .. just a caveat.. they are heavy.. and bulky..

Kapil

Kapvin,
if you PM me your Vikhroli address, I can come over at a time that is good for both of us... I am not too far away at Chembur.

Hi all,
the LPs have been collected from Kapvin... And if I may add he is a through gentleman...

I will be packing the lp's over the weekend and shipping of Santhol2 as well as the few other members who have shown interest.

For people in mumbai, you can PM me and we can co-ordinate.

Santhol2, Please put Cochin under Bangalore zonal office for LPs and try to allocate one Kishore da/Rafi Lp and one Jimi Hendrix for me.

Hi Kapil,

My choices:

Abba - The Visitors
pandit hari prasad Chaurasia
Gotuyadyam- N ravikrian
Greatest love themes of the 20th century- ferrante - teicher
Ravi Shankar
20 solid gold hits vol 5 - incl. lobo, stevie wonder et al
Armaan - OST

Regards,

Sachin

sachin, I am keeping aside the LP's you have mentioned.... all of them, except for the one in bold, as it has already been reserved for Santhol2 by kapvin, before you made your list... see the order in which preferences came in....

-M

Hey Santhosh,

Manav's offer was for me not you.;)

Capt! I am gonna be mailing my copy of Nazia Hasaan to santhol2 along with his lot ans the rest of the lot to be distributed to the interested 'philes in bang and chen...

should be couriering it on Monday so should reach him by tuesday!

Hi Manav,

it was a great albeit abbreviated meeting! look forward to catching up once I am back in mumbai.

@all, I may have missed out some duplicates.. manav might be able to identify them. also the 45s (thought I am not sure what condition they are in)

when I am back and my arm is in better shape, i'll look through my loft for the other LPs.

cheers

Kapvin

Santhol2, Please put Cochin under Bangalore zonal office for LPs and try to allocate one Kishore da/Rafi Lp and one Jimi Hendrix for me.

Guys, try and avoid asking for LP's that have already been reserved...

To make the task a little easier, i will update the avaialability of the Lp's ....

s.no Album Name country jacket LP Year Any comments
3 Booker T & the M.G.s melting pots India 4 (one copy still up for grabs!!)4 ?
4 Creedence Clearwater Revival- Pendulum India 2 3 ?
5 George Harrison india 1 mia
6 katrina & the waves india 4 6 1985
8 Hammond fascination- TW Ardy presents 28 top hits for dancing india 4 5 ? seems to be hammond organ music
9 The Beatles - Sgt pepper loney hearts club band india 1 3 terrible state - but it's th beatles
11 Prokofiev - Piano Concerto No 2 USSR 4 7 Russian Classical LP
12 Hooked on Swing 2 - Larry Elgart and his manhattan swing orchestra USA 5 7 1983 nice easy swing..
14 Sound of Music - OST England 5 7 1966
15 Bruce Springsteen- Born in the USA india 5 5 1985 "borrowed" from a friend
16 Classical Gold _- London Philharmonic 4 LPs of light classics England 5 8 awesome light classical
17 Dylan's Greatest hits. india 2 4
18 Carole King- fantasy india 1 ?
19 simon & garfunkel- sounds of Silence india 2 4
20 New orleans rhythm kings - with "jelly" roll morton USA no jacket only sleeve 5
21 Roberta flack-First take india 2 4
22 Joni Jamesin "award winning album volume 2" USA 4 4
26 Osibisa - Heads india 5 5
27 Harry Belafonte - Live at Carnegie Hall USA 3 5 much played - used to be a family favourite
28 Ferde Grofe's "Grand Canyon suite" USA 5 5
29 Bryan Ferry - "These foolish things" USA 5 5
30 Carmen Caravallaro - dancing in the dark USA 5 5
31 the doors - absolutely live USA 5 6
32 Roger Williams - greatest hits (instrumental) USA 5 6
36 Musical Spellbinders - Harold Coates & his orchestra USA 4 5
37 France - Stanley black conducting the London Festival Orchestra USA 6 7 London Records- Great music -stuff like can can etc.
38 Antony Venture orchestra - dream music England 6 6
39 Honeymoon in manhattan - instrumental England 4 4
40 Dance with the "shadows" England 2 3
41 CCR- willy & the poor boys india 2 3 heavy LP
43 the beatles - rubber soul india 3 3
44 Joan Baez in Concert part 2 USa 5 5 Vanguard connoisseur recording
46 Our Paris - Frank Pourcel USA 4 5
47 Donna Summers - love to love you baby india 4 4 the 2nd side with all it's moans and groans was much played
48 famous scenes from Sir. John's Production of Hamlet USA 4 4 all spoken - no music
51 Don henley - building the perfect beast india 5 5
52 the doors- Greatest hits India 5 5
53 Mantovani and his orchestra England 6 7
54 herb Alpert's tijuana brass vol2 india 3 5
55 Creedence Clearwater Revival- Pendulum (2nd copy) india 2 6
56 Tchaikovsky- nutcracker suite- royal philharmonic india 3 5
61 Ghazals - Mehdi Hassan india 4 4
62 the sound of the shadows india 3 4
63 tender is the night - andre kostelanetz USA 4 4
65 Monty - mantovani and his orchestra usa 4 5
66 joe gilbert and eddie brown - the magic of their singing usa 4 4
68 the best of Traffice india 5 5
69 Shostakovich - piano sonatas nos 1 & 2 ussr 5 7
70 the lvoes songs of talat mehmood india 2 4
71 the beatles - 1967-70 india 4 5
74 Pyaasa india 5 5
75 Love story (the kumar gaurav one) india 5 5
76 Begum Akhtar - in memoram india 5 5
77 Radha Nandy and his drums india 3 5

please indicate your interest..

This is the availability as of now... apart from these there is a bunch of EP's (45rpm) that are also available...

great! Sorry I could not follow the thread as much as I would have liked to. So are any LPs coming to Delhi?

Choose from the list above and i'll carry them for you next week....

Last edited:
Malvai,
You can add mine to Santhosh, i will pick it from banglore. May be one or two already requested by sachu, hence kindly omit from that list..

Thanks for coming forward to take care of the safe transportation.

Regards

Hi Kapvin,

I will take the below.

7 Abba - The Visitors England 5 7--- FOR SACHIN
8 Hammond fascination- TW Ardy presents 28 top hits for dancing india 4 5 ? seems to be hammond organ music
9 The Beatles - Sgt pepper loney hearts club band india 1 3 terrible state - but it's th beatles
13 Rock n Roll forever Vol2 india 5 7 1985 Awesome 50s-60s rocknroll - gene vincent et al
16 Classical Gold _- London Philharmonic 4 LPs of light classics England 5 8 awesome light classical
18 Carole King- fantasy india 1 ?
22 Joni Jamesin "award winning album volume 2" USA 4 4
28 Ferde Grofe's "Grand Canyon suite" USA 5 5
31 the doors - absolutely live USA 5 6
36 Musical Spellbinders - Harold Coates & his orchestra USA 4 5
40 Dance with the "shadows" England 2 3
43 the beatles - rubber soul india 3 3
45 Ravi Shankar - India 4 5- FOR SACHIN
52 the doors- Greatest hits India 5 5
61 Ghazals - Mehdi Hassan india 4 4
66 joe gilbert and eddie brown - the magic of their singing usa 4 4
67 20 solid gold hits vol 5 - incl. lobo, stevie wonder et al usa 4 5- FOR SACHIN
77 Radha Nandy and his drums india 3 5

I can keep the above in my hold in "Chennai" and can distribute to chennai hifi vision member any time.

I am thinking of staring DVD movies library exclusively for hifi members( ofcourse free of cost) and can add this...

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back