Interest Check: LPs

kapvin

Hi,

This is really my first post in this section.. with my Turntable dormant for years, (a decade actually) before finally becoming the victim (beneficiary?) of taxidermy experiments by another forum member, I am left in a unique position of having a lot of LPs and no TT. financial priorities (as opposed to financial constraints) will ensure that no new TT replaces this old one.

So I have an LP collection which is somewhat a shadow of it's zenith, having suffered thefts, (okay, borrowing and not returning), breakages, storage damage has claimed some more. but the collection is still eclectic..

some of it dates back to my dad (50s jazz), my mom, (joan baez) and then me (70s rock) and then my wife (80s indipop and bollywood). with the exception of my wifes & moms contribution, most of the other stuff is from the US or UK, and the condition varies as one would expect from a 50 year or 40year old record. and there are some gems - there is the original pressing of harry belafonte - live a carnegie hall, in stereo, joan baez - music of Isreal; there is some led zep which is in pristine condition, some hendrix, some 60s and 70s muzak (heard of the shadows?).. there's more, I just do not recollect..

the reason for this post is, to understand, would this stuff have any value? would it be of interest to any of the vinyl-o-philes?

at the outset, let me explicit say, that while I do want to part with it; I do not want to sell it. I am perfectly happy to give it away, provided that the value (if any) gets unlocked in say, a donation to HFV or to some other noble cause..

of course, this is assuming the stuff has value. I would be keen to get your responses, and depending to that I can take the time to catalog what I have and it's condition. again, depending on responses and suggestions, I can take this forward.

thanks

Why not kapvin,Our forum members namingly a lot are quiete a followers of LP's and still telling it is sounding great in this digital era.

You can expect a lot of responses for the LP's here..:)

Last edited:
Kap,

Good thought for a Good cause... :clapping: Pretty sure all TT owners will be super happy to know this...

I am going to get my TT very soon.... So reserve one LP recording for me.(hendrix) :licklips:

Kittu

Kittu,

there is more than 1 hendrix.. like i said i don't exactly remember, there is electric ladyland, axis bold as love and maybe one or two others..

while there are many outcomes as consequence of this thread, depending on suggestions/interest; one outcome that personally would not be thrilling is to send individual LPs all over the country. I'd rather do this in wholesale lots or locally

ABSOLUTELY its of huge value...ask me for value...i saw my 100+ LPs burnt and received 15$ insurance...it haunts everyday, every second!

Kittu,

there is more than 1 hendrix.. like i said i don't exactly remember, there is electric ladyland, axis bold as love and maybe one or two others..

while there are many outcomes as consequence of this thread, depending on suggestions/interest; one outcome that personally would not be thrilling is to send individual LPs all over the country. I'd rather do this in wholesale lots or locally

makes total sense... :)

makes total sense... :)

If there is adequate interest, I could courier i bulk to one person in each city for redistribution. i don't even know how many I have left, they were in multiple cartons.. my last count about 160, but I'll have see where they are now..

like I said, i don't want money, but, other than my request that you donate a sum of your choice to a good cause of your choice, there is one condition, the person who takes it does so for his/her own use and does not resell it. Of course, i cannot enforce that, but I believe in trusting my fellow man. By and large, I've found people mostly live up to trust you put in them.

I can volunteer for CHennai Kapvin. In fact my aunt runs a old age orphanage called Vishranti, the old young women there love when we play vinyl...they get transported to the age when where happy!

Last edited:
I can volunteer for CHennai Kapvin. In fact my aunt runs a old age orphanage called Vishranti, the old young men there love when we play vinyl...they get transported to the age when where happy!

I didn't know such a thing existed. that's a really noble cause and I would be happy to support this, even beyond this particular thread.

I can volunteer for CHennai Kapvin. In fact my aunt runs a old age orphanage called Vishranti, the old young women there love when we play vinyl...they get transported to the age when where happy!
With due respect to your noble thought Ram, audiophilia is a very niche quality and not everyone appreciates it. While they may connect with the genre, I'm not sure whether they would connect with the vinyl sound
(except for the nostalgia factor of getting to hear a vinyl which they would have in their heydays)

Only my personal opinion.

I think we are going OT from this thread.

Capt: I really dont care whether they appreciate vinyl quality or anything..when I play CD they talk, when I play Vinyl they talk...but they talk about their happy days and they all laugh...for smile and laugh worth many vinyls! as I rarely see it in them!

Hi Kapvin,

Don't know how the Israeli music sounds but sounds interesting. I have inherited a vintage turntable & few LPs but never got motivated enough to get it repaired.

I am interested in buying english LPs - my TT is now in good condition but have not yet connected - hope doing the same soon, once I figure out how to save it from my daughter :)

I am interested in buying english LPs - my TT is now in good condition but have not yet connected - hope doing the same soon, once I figure out how to save it from my daughter :)

:) LPs on this thread are not for sale

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back