Invertor for Modem

prakasse

Hi folks,

I have BSNL broadband modem (UTStarcom WA3002G4). It takes 12V, and 700 ma current as input. As you are aware b'lore is known for powercuts and i need internet for my work. The inverter should give me 2 to 3 hrs backup for modem.

Should i go for a branded one or should i get it done from local manufacturer(SP road). I don't want to spend too much for this and my usage will be just for modem. Kindly suggest me some good inverters thats doesn't cost too much.

Thanks,
Prakash.

My PC, Monitor, 2.1 speakers modem all are connected to my UPS. why would would you need an inverter for this? What does your PC run on?

Regards

Hi,

I'm also looking for a similar thing.
Actually the problem is sometimes I'm downloading large files form direct download links without resume support,so if there is a power cut the download gets broken and I need to download the file again :sad:
So is there any cheap yet effective solution to these?
I just need my modem to work for 1-2 hrs,that should be enough because usually the power cuts lasts for 1 hour or so.
I don't need my PC on backup(as I'm using a laptop),just the modem.

Please help

Cheers

Purchase a premium account on the file hosting server. They will let you resume d/l and it will be cheaper too.

Hi,

I'm also looking for a similar thing.
Actually the problem is sometimes I'm downloading large files form direct download links without resume support,so if there is a power cut the download gets broken and I need to download the file again :sad:
So is there any cheap yet effective solution to these?
I just need my modem to work for 1-2 hrs,that should be enough because usually the power cuts lasts for 1 hour or so.
I don't need my PC on backup(as I'm using a laptop),just the modem.

Please help

Cheers

Your modem has a power supply that needs plugging in to mains right? Any 600VA UPS should be able to supply power to the modem for long periods and also power your laptop for long hours without lowering screen brightness or underclocking the cpu as is normally setup when without power.

Cheers

How much will an UPS cost?Just need it for the modem,laptop backup is not at all an issue :)( So was looking for a soln below 1K if possible :))
Also will the modem connection break and restart when there is a power cut or will the supply be continuous?

Cheers...

I think a cheap 500VA UPS should be good enough. Currently my dsl modem is on invertor - which is a lumionous - single battery one. It never disconnects/ resets on power cut. Same invertor is being used to power fans/ cfl/ tubelights of the house.

regards

Can someone confirm that on an UPS the modem won't restart ?

If you use an UPS made specifically for PCs, the switch over time is in milliseconds, and there will be no loss of power to the PC or any of the attached accessories including the modem. As long as you don't overload the UPS, none of the attached units will restart. That is why it is called 'Uninterrupted Power Supply'.

An inverter on the other hand, will cut power to the units before starting to supply power from the battery. Remember, an inverter is not meant to be an UPS. It is supposed to power regular home appliances such as fans and lights when you don't have power in your mains. Here, if you will lose power for a few seconds, the sky will not come down on your heads.

For PC, Modem and such computer related units, an UPS that has quasi sine wave output is more than sufficient. This will cost you around 1500 for a 1 KVA. This is for a roughly 20 minute backup. If you need higher backup time, the cost will increase incrementally.

Microtek, APC and others make very good UPS for PCs,

Cheers

Last edited:
Will this work ?

TECHCOM Offline UPS - 600VA with - Best deals on UPS only at Rediff Shopping.

( Repeating again I have a Dell laptop with good backup so need the UPS just to avoid the download break on power cut :))

I am not aware of this brand.

APC gives you a unquestioned replacement in case of issues, and they cost the same. Look for an UPS from APC, Numeric, Microtek. These are dependable brands as far as my knowledge goes. The price differences will be very minimal.

Cheers

I had some bad experience few years back with UPS/ computer. Looking back, I think it might have been the issue with cheap power supply of the computer, but I would never be sure.
In my office, each computer was on APC UPS. Whenever there was a fluctuation (in New Delhi, Okhla) or switchover to genset, lot of computers would restart. We tried some config with UPS but nothing worked out. In the end we spend close to 1 lakh to get an online UPS. But all our PCs were cheap assembled ones.
So I would say - just carry your modem - you never know which UPS piece could be faulty. If the person at shop will let you test the piece you want to buy, there would be nothing more reassuring than that.
regards

In my office, each computer was on APC UPS. Whenever there was a fluctuation (in New Delhi, Okhla) or switchover to genset, lot of computers would restart. We tried some config with UPS but nothing worked out. In the end we spend close to 1 lakh to get an online UPS. But all our PCs were cheap assembled ones.

I find this very surprising. I have experience with a range of UPSs - APC, Krykard, Microtek, Siemens, Numeric, etc. Not one of them gave any trouble for PCs. Some of these had backup capacity of up to 8 hours to keep our servers running. In most cases power would be restored within a few hours at the most, and we never lost any data or had any PC being shut down.

At home I have been using Krykard for about 6 years and never had any issues. This units gives me 20 minutes backup by which time I shut down the computer.

I am finding difficult to understand that APC did not work properly. One possibility is constant, rapid, and huge fluctuation in voltages forcing the UPS to switch time and again on a continuous basis. This could make the UPS misbehave after a little while.

Cheers

For PC, Modem and such computer related units, an UPS that has quasi sine wave output is more than sufficient. This will cost you around 1500 for a 1 KVA. This is for a roughly 20 minute backup. If you need higher backup time, the cost will increase incrementally.

Cheers

A 1KVA UPS wil cost around 6 to 8K I beleive.

Regards

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back