Is additional TV needed in projector room?

manishk13

Guys

I am in a dilemma with regards to the paisa vasool factor of the HT room. Having plonked close to 2 lacs (and still counting) on the acoustic panels, concealed conduits, electricals, civil work, carpet/fabric etc, I am now thinking of the "utilization" factor of the HT room , specifically whether to watch normal TV (news, serials etc both for me and parents) using projector and screen (when you feel like it). We have a ANOTHER tv in the living room here is my thinking:

1. Option 1: Use the projector and screen FREELY. i.e watch normal TV etc whenever you feel like, that way the room is not just used for weekend movies and the high investment is justified. On the negative side, I see the amp being on a lot of time

2. Option 2: Put an ADDITIONAL 42 inch TV behind the screen to watch normal TV. advantage is all the junk can be watched on it. however it required additional headache in placing it behind the screen, cutting the acoustic panels, additinal 42 inch investment etc.

I am in favor of option 1 as we have a normal tv in the other room anyway so in overflow situations people can watch tv in the projection room, also technology and life in general is so unpredictable , why now enjoy the projection room to the max

have u guys had this dilemma ?

thx
Manish

Option 1 : Watch

A projector usually has a smaller lifetime as compared to a TV because of the lamp. What most people do is to mount a TV on the wall, and have a motorised or manual screen in front that is used for the projector. One can use in-wall or on-wall speakers and keep the screen acoustically transparent.

This way all your equipment other than the projector is used well. In an A/c environment, an amp or an AVR could work easily for 5 / 6 hours without a hitch.

Cheers

Hi Manish,

As Venkat correclty points out, the operational cost of running PJ + Amp will be much higher than TV. (Includes bulb expenses and electricity overdose for whole setup)
SDTV looks pretty bad if you have HD PJ on big screen.
Constant looking at big picture in complete darkness may create eye strain, You may have adjuct brightness/ contrast quite often than TV.
You may need to shut your PJ after say 3/4 hours to cool down the lamp.
As per law of diminishing marginal utility, you will soon get bored to the big screen and may look for some bigger (or better) alternative. In that case watching movies on PJ will not be a enjoyable feeling which was the prime motto. I have seen happening this with Big LCDs & plasma owners.

Better place your other TV in this room or buy another 29+ CRT time being.
Just my 2 cents.

Considering the cost of any good Projector and the replacement of bulb it needs I would definetly not use the Projector to watch all those junk channels that our cable/ DTH Operators offer..........Go for a seperate TV if you want to be present in your HT Room every evening........:cool:)

although everybody has pointed out the most VFM approach, if you are ready to spend a little more, i would recommend you to purchase a separate SD prj with a good lamp life such as offered by LG as mentioned in one of the posts. Should be around 25-30k and can run easily for 4-5 yrs. Purchase a SD TV too for 35k and get all three mounted. You have all the options available..
I say this coz the quality of the TV signal thru the AVR upscaler chip gets slightly better, which can look decent on a 720p prj.

Thanks for all the inputs guys.

I picked up a 42 inch Panasonic plasma today (42 x20). Will be mounting it tomorrow behind the screen . This will be used for "normal" TV watching and will be using the proj and screen mainly for movies, sports and special events

One caution for people building their HT room: I have seen my costs spiral like anything and I have been helplessly spending more and more as every new aspect unfolded every week (the latest being the plasma investment) so please do careful cost analysis before starting

Thx
Manish

I picked up a 42 inch Panasonic plasma today (42 x20). Will be mounting it tomorrow behind the screen . This will be used for "normal" TV watching and will be using the proj and screen mainly for movies, sports and special events

One caution for people building their HT room: I have seen my costs spiral like anything and I have been helplessly spending more and more as every new aspect unfolded every week (the latest being the plasma investment) so please do careful cost analysis before starting

Thx
Manish

wow that was a quick decision..1 day..but ofcourse we understand.. the first reply that you got was from venkat..and you trust his advice anytime..
congrats on your purchase..

Will you be connecting the TV also to the AVR or use it independently as standalone unit along with STB.

Thx
Manish

I picked up a 42 inch Panasonic plasma today (42 x20).
How much you have paid?

That's true. Can we know how much costed you total? any idea?

Hi

1. I paid Rs 39,000 all inclusive for Panasonic 42xd20, purchased from Modern World

2. Will be posting a detailed cost analysis of the HT room very soon as soon as I get a breather since the fabric and carpeting happens tomorrow. Roughly: 1. Anutone acousic wall and ceiling panels (absorption and sound proofing): Rs 75,000. 2. Electrical conduiting, concealing, all wires, switches, sockets, labour: approx Rs 50,000 3. Fabric and carpet + labor : Rs 30,000 4. Civil work (garage converted to HT and extended): aPPROX 20,000

3. Reply to another post: no I wont be connecting the secondary TV to AVR. I will connect it only to STB rca audio and video outs. Most of movies, sports and special events to be watched on projector and general (news, serials etc) on the plasma

Regards
Manish

Hi

1. I paid Rs 39,000 all inclusive for Panasonic 42xd20, purchased from Modern World

2. Will be posting a detailed cost analysis of the HT room very soon as soon as I get a breather since the fabric and carpeting happens tomorrow. Roughly: 1. Anutone acousic wall and ceiling panels (absorption and sound proofing): Rs 75,000. 2. Electrical conduiting, concealing, all wires, switches, sockets, labour: approx Rs 50,000 3. Fabric and carpet + labor : Rs 30,000 4. Civil work (garage converted to HT and extended): aPPROX 20,000

Regards
Manish

Thanks Manish for the cost estimates. Great investment
Eager to see your completed setup:clapping:.
Pls do post the pics once you finished.

As per law of diminishing marginal utility, you will soon get bored to the big screen and may look for some bigger (or better) alternative. In that case watching movies on PJ will not be a enjoyable feeling which was the prime motto. I have seen happening this with Big LCDs & plasma owners.
Finally someone who understands that there is no such thing as a "too big" TV. No matter how big, after a while they all seem small.

I too second the idea of having another TV in the room to watch regular SD TV. Neither the programming and definately not the quality of SD in India, justify the usage of your projector.

Last edited:
Back