Is Android progressing towards Ultrawide screen (21:9 Aspect Ratio) ?

elangoas

Hi All,

With the Android mobile screen progressing from Wide screen 16:9 -> 18:9 ->19.5:9 aspect ratio, pretty sure there are going to be almost bezel less display, cramming display in every corner of the phone (i love it though) in the near future and inching towards 21:9, widescreen ratio very soon, which is also the aspect ratio for movies and preferred gaming aspect ratio.. But, this is mobile screen & OS..

The Android TV OS which is on Nvidia Shield, Xiaomi Mibox and most recent LED-TV, is still widescreen 16:9.. Hopefully, they will also support ultra-widescreen ratio..

Some years ago Philips had Ultrawide LCD TV (Cinema series), much ahead of its time.. Is there a possibility (or) can we hope to see some Ultra widescreen LED TV with (or without) Android TV OS built in, in the near future?..

We already have a lot of 21:1 monitors in the market. It’s highly likely that 21:1 tv will be available soon but I don’t think it will sell as much as 16:9 Tvs. I reckon, the wall by Samsung is a modular unit and can make any aspect ratio.

Sony Xperia XA3 would be one of the first Android mobile with 21:9, Cinema aspect ratio and a big marketing term..https://www.xda-developers.com/sony-xperia-xa3-plus-21-9-display/

Sony-Xperia-10-Plus-1550007050-0-0-1003x1024.png

Hope, it may soon get to other budget models in sometime and finally there would be no black bars on top & bottom of the small mobile display for movies..

With streaming gaining traction and possibility of HD audio codecs, would there be new entertainment segment?.. Dolby Atmos / Dts X Headphones more accessible?..

Motorola has unveiled a mobile phone with Ultra wide aspect ratio (21:9), priced at Rs 19,990 - https://www.motorola.com/mea/products/motorola-one-vision

Motorola_One_Vision__6__0-x675.jpg

A pop-up camera would have been better than the punch-hole display, as it would give full screen space for movies / android gaming..

Movie streaming should look very good on this device, for its native aspect ratio is 21:9..

Motorola has unveiled a mobile phone with Ultra wide aspect ratio (21:9), priced at Rs 19,990 - https://www.motorola.com/mea/products/motorola-one-vision

A pop-up camera would have been better than the punch-hole display, as it would give full screen space for movies / android gaming..

Movie streaming should look very good on this device, for its native aspect ratio is 21:9..

I really wanted to upgrade my s8 to s10plus and the punch hole is the only reason stopping me from doing it. It's ugly and uglier on s10 plus. But dont you think 21:9 a bit too long for a phone? But having more real estate for 2 apps is always nice. I sometimes play news on the top of the screen while messaging to someone on WhatsApp. 21.9 would give me a longer chat window. But personally ergonomic wise holding a SLIM and long screen is bit difficult?

I really wanted to upgrade my s8 to s10plus and the punch hole is the only reason stopping me from doing it.

Ok. I too personally feel the punch hole (or) the dew drop notch to be a bit disturbing the view (or) blocking the view..

But dont you think 21:9 a bit too long for a phone? But having more real estate for 2 apps is always nice. I sometimes play news on the top of the screen while messaging to someone on WhatsApp. 21.9 would give me a longer chat window.

Yes, 21:9 could be slighter taller in profile.. In addition to what you have said, i use split screen is especially useful when doing money transfers.. When you are on the banking screen, you get an OTP message.. You have to sometimes switch apps to get the OTP messgae.. In that scenario, i use split screen and is really comfortable.. (or) when adding a beneficiary..

I love to see full screen video, meaning the displayed is not filled with black bars on top (or) bottom.. Android being the most used OS, am sure youtube videos and others will embrace 21:9..

But personally ergonomic wise holding a SLIM and long screen is bit difficult?

You are right. It can be, but over time, we would get used to that.. Just like how we progressed from 4 inch screen to now 6 inch displays.. Reaching the power button & volume buttons if positioned away from thumb can be nagging issue.. But yeah, hope for better experience..

An other important feature which am looking forward to is the audio & video out from USB type C port.. Not many mobiles support that, but if that happens, we can connect the mobile to AVR and use that as a media player for streaming.. (or) connect it to monitors for gaming..

Ok. I too personally feel the punch hole (or) the dew drop notch to be a bit disturbing the view (or) blocking the view..

Yes, 21:9 could be slighter taller in profile.. In addition to what you have said, i use split screen is especially useful when doing money transfers.. When you are on the banking screen, you get an OTP message.. You have to sometimes switch apps to get the OTP messgae.. In that scenario, i use split screen and is really comfortable.. (or) when adding a beneficiary..

I love to see full screen video, meaning the displayed is not filled with black bars on top (or) bottom.. Android being the most used OS, am sure youtube videos and others will embrace 21:9..

You are right. It can be, but over time, we would get used to that.. Just like how we progressed from 4 inch screen to now 6 inch displays.. Reaching the power button & volume buttons if positioned away from thumb can be nagging issue.. But yeah, hope for better experience..

An other important feature which am looking forward to is the audio & video out from USB type C port.. Not many mobiles support that, but if that happens, we can connect the mobile to AVR and use that as a media player for streaming.. (or) connect it to monitors for gaming..

This was attempted by Samsung with dex. I had it for a short time , but ended up returning it. Seeing there wasn't an update on it with s10, I think Samsung saw no audience for it. For me, it wasn't tempting enough to replace my laptop. Although it was much polisehd from a Chinese Android TV, still wasn't PC good.

Big screen is always welcome, moreover hardly anyone uses phone with one hand now. I recently tried to use my old iPhone 5 again. It was extremely difficult. I cannot imagine using anything smaller than that now.

This was attempted by Samsung with dex. I had it for a short time , but ended up returning it. Seeing there wasn't an update on it with s10, I think Samsung saw no audience for it. For me, it wasn't tempting enough to replace my laptop. Although it was much polisehd from a Chinese Android TV, still wasn't PC good.

Ok. Hope for a better experience..

Big screen is always welcome, moreover hardly anyone uses phone with one hand now. I recently tried to use my old iPhone 5 again. It was extremely difficult. I cannot imagine using anything smaller than that now.

Yup.. true..very much.

With couple of launched from Motorola, Android OS for mobile supports 21:9 aspect ratio and most phones staying in the 19.5:9 aspect ratio..

But the Android TV interface (Nvidia shield and Xiaomi Mi box) for larger displays don't support the 21:9 aspect ratio yet I guess.. When it supports, we should have more displays taking advantage of it..

Hopefully there would be more Ultrawide TV sooner..

Mobiles have hit a maximum aspect ratio of 19.5:9 (or) 20:9, so even some offering 21:9 for mobiles.. But strange, that Android TV aspect ratio doesn't support anything more than 16:9 aspect ratio..

Just in case Android TV supports 21:9 (Ultra-wide aspect ratio), would this help TV manufacturer to come up with Ultra-wide TV's in future?..

Philips offered the Cinema series of Ultrawide TV, much before Android became popular.. With streaming movies/shows becoming more popular and the aspect ratio offered is most 21:9, would it be good to have TV or even a projector that supports that native aspect ratio of movies?.. (Without black bars on top & bottom of the screen).. :)

While my phone (Asus 6z) allows me to capture images in 19.5:9 AR, there is no option to record videos in 19.5:9.. It is still limited to 16:9 video recording only.. Lot of width is wasted in mobile screen..

Any of your mobiles allow you to record videos in 19:9 (or) 20:9 aspect ratio?..

Back