Is anyone a member of team-bhp?? What car to buy?

Indeed the skoda Octavia combi was available for sales in India for a few years but not anymore. I myself have driven one.

here is a pic.
Skoda Combi - Page 3 - Team-BHP

The skoda fabia combi was kind of released and recalled if that is what the rep was trying to tell you.

Skoda Fabia combi - with pix. - Team-BHP

we never owned any car in Bangalore except for a Mahinda Scorpio crdi which has a gearbox failure with the first few months, but they replaced it warranty here in the chennai service center.

My, my! He was right indeed. Thanks Raja.

Oh and I am surprised about the negative comments about TeamBHP. I am a long time member there although I have not posted too often.

It came to be that I had just about 50 posts and they recently had implemented a system where anybody with less than 50 posts had to go through an approval cycle for their post to appear! I was not amused and I wrote to their chief moderator. Pat came the response and my post got through.

I am not a regular reader of team bhp and i don't wanna comment about their moderation or anything. May be they are a good website but i don't know.The only thing i found interesting was their threads related to skoda(since i have one) which i found believable in few times and not believable many times.

i don't look for information in any car forum to decide upon what i am going buy, having driven many cars for the past 15 years i kinda have my own way,sources when it comes to buying cars or getting feedback regarding the same.

what ever i posted was not against Team BHP but just my stand on many posts in the skoda bashing thread.

Last edited:
@sanchit

When i asked you to check for the availability of colour, options etc.

For eg if you select the A4 & say want the white colour.
The sales man will then look in to his list of stock, which will have a few whites with various interior colours & some options like blue tooth, 18" wheels, high end stereo etc already fitted. The value of the package of options loaded in the car form 5% to x% on the ex showroom price of the car.

So pl always check the availability of the model with full configuration in for ready delivery/ available shortly.

Pl also check for the service costs & cost of service packages. I suggest you go for the extended warranty on whatever car you buy.

All the best.
Cheers

Nirav what u mentioned above is a real problem & holds true for most CBUs. Car comes loaded with a few optionals and one is compelled to take whats on offer.
We wanted a particular colour on the 740i which they had but it had the works and that escalated the already steep cost by 14L so we chose to wait. Problem is the wait can be 4 months!!!!
Me thinks these problems are not there in CKDs & SKDs.
Rgds

Do you own a skoda? have you had problems with service?
Nope, I don't own a skoda. So, what would I know what Skoda is? For that matter, how would any auto-enthusiast know anything about Skoda without owning one? Just Team-bhp and online reading? Ofcourse not:lol:.

Kudos to your dealership. They seem to be doing a stellar job. If only other dealerships were as good, Skoda would have been more popular than it currently is. IMO, a fantastic brand which seems to have got its After Sales Service absolutely wrong.

@theVortex: Like raja has mentioned, the Combi has been launched in India. I have even seen a Black Combi RS here in Bangalore.

Let us get back to helping sanchit selecting a car. Like Dinyaar has mentioned, you should not have these problems because the cars you are looking at are CKD or SKD.

Excuse me for my ignorance but what is "ckd" or "skd" ??

I am an active member of team-bhp since close to 4 years. I will go through this thread and will see what I can do for you.

thnx. But with Advice from this forum and gearheads I guess wouldnt be needing the membership of Team-bhp now as it will only confuse more (I guess). Also there harsh moderation system doesnt look like it would go well with me!! :eek:hyeah:

When i asked you to check for the availability of colour, options etc.

For eg if you select the A4 & say want the white colour.
The sales man will then look in to his list of stock, which will have a few whites with various interior colours & some options like blue tooth, 18" wheels, high end stereo etc already fitted. The value of the package of options loaded in the car form 5% to x% on the ex showroom price of the car.

So pl always check the availability of the model with full configuration in for ready delivery/ available shortly.

Pl also check for the service costs & cost of service packages. I suggest you go for the extended warranty on whatever car you buy.

All the best.
Cheers

thnx for the advice. Would have to check that. The audi showroom seemed to have enough stock but you cant be sure. And about BMW they dont have a car in stock but by their eagerness of selling (they call almost everyday and even come to workplace occasionally) I feel that they will arange a car within 15-20 days. Maybe would have to compromise on the color becoz of availablity issues but thats the secondary thing.

========

The AUDI showroom still hasnt got the demo car!! :mad::mad:

I guess I would go to the BMW dealer today and talk about the tyre change and how it will affect suspension and test drive the AUDI as soon as it arrives. That would help in making a decision!! :)

Hi Sanchit,

I have driven both the BMW 320d and the Merc C-200 Kompressor.

1. BMW 320d

I rented this car on a whirlwind trip of Europe couple of years back with my family. Drove over 4000 km in 10 days. I recommend the diesel not because of economy but because of performance. It beats the pants off the 320i. The handling is superb, very neutral (no drama). The steering is superb, the car just goes where you point it. I was quite at home doing sweeping turns at speeds exceeding 150kmph. In Germany, I took this baby upto 210!. (When I later dropped speed to about 100 because of traffic, my wife was complaining that we were "crawling"). However, ride is a bit harder than the Merc. On the tenth day, after the initial euphoria had worn off, we wished the suspension was just a bit softer.

Conclusion: This is a out and out drivers car. Needs to be driven hard to really get the best out of it. If you (or your dad) have the opportunity or the inclination to really push it, you won't be dissappointed.

2. Merc C-200 Kompressor

I rented this car for a week in Dubai earlier this year. Work took me to Abu Dhabi every day, even twice a day. Was driving around 250 to 500 km daily. Very nice suspension, and "agile" handling. Pretty quick, especially because of the "Kompressor", but not quite in BMW territory. But very comfortable, although the rear seat space could be better.

Conclusion: Nicely rounded vehicle. Drive it yourself, and its quite fun. Let someone else drive, and its pretty good too. Gets recognised in the 5-star hotel foyer. etc.

Basically, at this level, you don't decide based on a dhobi list of features, or on price, or (god forbid) on fuel economy. You decide based on the attributes of each brand, what they stand for, and what your personal desires are from your car. They appeal to different kinds of people, depending on what they are looking for. Performance, or comfort. etc.

So, how to decide?

Well, let's put it this way:

The BMW is the mistress.
The Merc is the wife.

You choose.

Cheers

Excuse me for my ignorance but what is "ckd" or "skd" ??
CBU = Completely built unit means that the Car is Imported as is.
SKD = Semi Knocked down means that some parts are assembled in India while some others come as system. For example, entire Engine may arrive as a already assembled unit. Needs to be integrated with other parts of the Car.
CKD = Completely knocked down means that all parts are assembled in India.They have been listed in the order of cost.

CBU is the most expensive and so on. This is to do with custom duties, shipping, etc.

sumain said:
The BMW is the mistress.The Merc is the wife.

and the AUDI = wife's younger (older?) sister?:D

younger ofcourse;)
:clapping:

Last edited:
Basically, at this level, you don't decide based on a dhobi list of features, or on price, or (god forbid) on fuel economy. You decide based on the attributes of each brand, what they stand for, and what your personal desires are from your car. They appeal to different kinds of people, depending on what they are looking for. Performance, or comfort. etc.

You choose.

Cheers

Well said:clapping:

I would stick to this advice in selection at any budget.
Cheers

Hello friends.

I would like to inform that we have finally zeroed in on BMW 320i !!

Had a test drive of AUDI A4 few days back and it made sure that AUDI was out of the equation. Price almost same as MERC with less features. Even ride quality was poor.

So It was pretty clear that it would be either BMW or MERC. BMW won the race becoz of its price and variety of features. The thing which also worked in BMW's favour was that we are planning to buy another SUV after about 2 years. BMW is not at all the car for 5 persons so If we had no plans of buying another car till 5-6 years then we would have probably chose a MERC!!

Anyways the only thing left to decide on now is WHETHER TO GO WITH RUNFLAT TYRES OR NOT??

+ points if RFT are removed and tubeless are fitted-

+ Brings the cost down ( Though that is secondary issue)

+ Better suspension and handling ( As per members on some forums)

+ Can be repaired at any puncture repair shop anywhere

+ Can be used with electrical pump to inflate and can go on for days even when punctured

CONCERNS-

1.) According to few person it may negatively affect the suspension, rim and handling as the car is tuned for RFT's !!

Disadvantage of RFT-

1.) Company says that it can be repaired as a normal tubeless tyre incase of puncture and even recommended 1 shop to get it done. Co-incidently that shop owner is our relative! ( Its a small world after all!! ) I enquired about the mystery of RFT and he told that there is a special puncture for RFT which cost around 300-400 Rs and they dont recommend it for more than 3-4 times!!

CONCLUSION- It would not be possible to get it repaired at ANY shop.

2.) Results in stiff handling and stiff suspension!

3.) Are known to burst COMPLETELY which may leave the person stranded and would cost another 16k for the new tyre!!

Hello friends.

I would like to inform that we have finally zeroed in on BMW 320i !!

Had a test drive .............................

............COMPLETELY which may leave the person stranded and would cost another 16k for the new tyre!!

Congrats Sanchit on finalising the 320i Beemer.

About tubeless tyres, it is true that you can fill air on drive on for days. I have been using tubeless tyres for over a decade now and have done driven my car for days by just by filling air twice a day. Reason I do this is because I like to fix the tubeless tyre puncture myself preferably on a weekend. All you need is a tubelss tyre repair kit called SarvSeal and a foot-pump.

There is nothing like tuning the suspension to run-flat tyres (RFT). You can atmost match them. To do this, find out the nature of the RFTs and replace it with similar. From the disadvantages of RFTs in your post, it seems they are made of a harder compound, lower profile. Be careful to get the same size tyres as a replacement. If you are planning to upgrade the size, read through the below-mentioned site and use the upsizing calculator there.

Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 1 of 2

Read on some international forums for the best solution for RFT replacement. Also, consider the Continental or Yoko tyre that I suggested earlier. The Yoko is a great mix of comfort and sporty. It's rim protectors are just fantastic and required for our roads.

@sanchit! Bad ride on the merc & audi as compared to the BMW!!! Could be because of the high tyre pressure, which may be arnd 38 or 40 psi. Whereas on indian roads anything around 30+/- 2psi is the way to go.

Anyways i'm not sure if you can opt for the 3 without the run flats, pl check with the dealer before you even think off the same, also make sure you get your self a comprehensive warranty plan for 3/5 yrs.

All the best.
Cheers.

Seems like it would take MONTHS before we get the new car!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

1st the BMW salespersons constantly called us for 2 weeks calling each day and coming to our office to SELL their car. And even Yesterday they came at office and we told them that we would come at their showroom with the cheque. At evening we went there and they say THERE IS NO CAR AVAILABLE IN THE WHOLE INDIA!! Now What the HELL?? If there is no car available why did you waste our time for 2 weeks!! :mad: :mad:

They think the customer is fool and are very casually saying "sir why dont you buy the diesel version" As the customer will pay 3.5 lakhs just becoz the dealer doesnt have the car!! ( Ok the diesel engine is more powerful but I dont need EXTRA POWER thats why I chose BMW over merc and AUDI which are more powerful than BMW )

They had offered a 1 lakh discount on the model which they say would not be possible to give if I buy the next model which will come in 2010. So write now I am in a FIX!! Theres no point paying 1 lakh extra for the SAME car the next year.

So now the other option left is enquiring from BMW from places other than CHANDIGARH. Though they say that they have enquired in whole India but I have my doubts. So I would request the members if they have the no. of any BMW dealer of their city or if can arrange it will be of great help.

Regards!!

So now the other option left is enquiring from BMW from places other than CHANDIGARH. Though they say that they have enquired in whole India but I have my doubts. So I would request the members if they have the no. of any BMW dealer of their city or if can arrange it will be of great help.

Regards!!

BMW India : Locate a dealer

You would get the numbers for the dealers in India

Interesting!!

I clicked on the same link from the BMW main site and got a error. Maybe bmw should update that link with this 1 as this works fine.

thnx

After 2 weeks of Suspense, Agony, permutations, combinations, tries of Deceit, Con, Phone calls etc I have FINALLY BOOKED THE BMW 320i.

From the past 3-4 weeks atleast 1-2 phone calls by the BMW persons each day was a normal ritual followed by their visit to Our showroom once every 3-4 days.

They tried to persuade us to buy the Diesel varient but that was of no use.

They then tried to SELL there 23.50 Lakh diesel car but that was again useless.

They also tried to sell the same 320i MINUS the 1 lakh discount they had offered earlier by saying things like " we will get it from someone else and it will cost transportation and such"

But We told them in very clear terms that EIther you get a 320i at the rate you had promised or else forget it.

FInally I got a phone call 1 day that They can arrange 1 320i with the price they had promised earlier. My only compromise was that it was WHITE color which is not that bad.

Also I am bit suspicious about the car which has been magically arranged becoz at 1 point of time there stand was "there is no BMW in whole India"

Anyways the car is expected to come around 22nd of December and lets hope all is fine with it.

Would post the pics ASAP.

Regards

Hi Sanchit,

Although I respect your decision, but I would still urge you to test drive the 320d. It is FAR superior in performance.

Many of us still carry the impression of diesels being noisy / rough etc. But BMW makes some of the best diesels in the world. Very smooth and refined, and very punchy. Just look at the torque and bhp ratings of the 320d. According to Hormazd Sorabjee of Autocar India, there is no real point in looking at the petrol engined 3-series any more. He even feels that the 320d can match upto to the 325i and leaves the 320i far behind.

In fact, in Germany perhaps over 70% of the cars being sold are diesels.

My only concern is, when you are trying to sell your 320i, you may not be able to get a very good resale value. In fact, you may find it difficult to sell. The 320d will definitely hold its price and saleability better.

So consider the small extra amount for the 320d as an investment for the future. Enjoy the performance for now, and consider the fuel economy as an extra lollipop (should be able to give you 14-15 kmph).

But whatever you decide, CONGRATS. The Bavarian Motor Works is one wonderful workshop, and makes some terrific machines. Not for nothing are they affectionately referred to as UDMs (the ultimate driving machines).

Cheers

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back