Is Audyssey MultEq XT32 worth it?

Ksharp

Ive been looking to buy an avr and keep reading about different versions of audyssey available in denon and marantz avr.
Some people say that xt32 is worth the extra cost and some disagree. anyone who has experienced them care to chime in?
Is it good for just HT or does it make a difference in music too?
Any reviews would be appreciated!

Ive been looking to buy an avr and keep reading about different versions of audyssey available in denon and marantz avr.
Some people say that xt32 is worth the extra cost and some disagree. anyone who has experienced them care to chime in?
Yes, it’s worth it imo. It has more precision in correcting the sound at your listening spot. For music listening if your speakers are very good at handling Large eq it would perform like a good stereo system in a good room.

Yes, Audyssey XT 32 app is worth it . You can tweak the values/ graphs for movies/stereo, plus save and send various settings to the avr.
The Auddyssey app will give you more flexibility than the built in one in the avr.

If the price difference between the best XT model vs the first XT32 model AVRs is too much for your budget, then I'd suggest XT is pretty competent.
If that budget difference is fine in your book, the 32 does bring some considerable improvements to the table, especially when used with the Rs 1,800 app.
Regards

If the price difference between the best XT model vs the first XT32 model AVRs is too much for your budget, then I'd suggest XT is pretty competent.
If that budget difference is fine in your book, the 32 does bring some considerable improvements to the table, especially when used with the Rs 1,800 app.
Regards
What should be the ideall normal graph / curve on audessy app settings for all speakers and subwoofer

What should be the ideall normal graph / curve on audessy app settings for all speakers and subwoofer
Pop
This is what I got.should i edit this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-02-02-19-22-26-55_2b8e145a22fdf569cdb4751f125df821.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-02-02-19-22-26-55_2b8e145a22fdf569cdb4751f125df821.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 41
One word yes, it is a lot better than anything available in the budget. I bought my Denon x3700 solely for this and Pre out capabilities, was a wise decision. Like everyone said there are a lot of customizations available.
This is the difference between each version:
1595161953255.png

Pop
This is what I got.should i edit this.

Does it sound good to your ears ? with audyssey or without?
I always keep a default file and then make copies to edit them and play around.

Some examples for my settings:
All speakers small
Fronts are bypass Audyssey
Remove the Mid Range compensation
Dynamic EQ on
Dynamic Volume OFF
Limit frequency to 500hz

All will depend on your room and most importantly do you like the way they sound.

Absolutely. If you can afford it, definitely get a receiver with XT32.

MaSh

An AVR's life is roughly 3-5 years depending on how well we use them. Those who say feature-rich AVRs are worth it would have a heartbreak when it gets repaired and their only words would be oh god I should have bought a lesser priced bait and then graduated to this. Those who didn't would regret that they want to upgrade from day two having bought an entry level AVR. Like Satan says in Paradise lost "the mind is a place of its own and in itself can make a hell of heaven and a heaven of hell".

It's not a one time investment either. Every three to five years you have to feed the white elephant.

Used most of the marantz models from NR to SR series and used the diff Audyssey versions.....XT is good enough and XT 32 is better as its more tailored for subwoofer specific adjustments etc.

There is no such thing as an ideal graph.
The rule of thumb however is to bring down the correction upper range to as low as 400 to 500 hz for the LCR, esp if you gave good quality speakers (i.e. usage only for bass management)

to leave it spread through the full range for surrounds and heights

and to bump the sub gain by 1 to 2 db if you think the end result lacks some punch (as you stated)

This is the ideal graph as per ASR. I modeled mine as per this recommendation -

index.php

what i learnt in my experience is EQ correction doesn't apply and correct all the frequencies. each of it has a boundary and limit. This is why sub bass is often treated separately in serious setups and even Dirac has a separate bass management. same with ARC. When i started studying these corrections, i felt it is good, but it is for connivence and quick setup for beginners to normal users. Any processor / AVR that has PEQ can be corrected just with a calibration MIC and softwares like REW to a good level.

If you fall in this beginners to normal users bracket going for this is the best option. you can see quick differences and you dont need to be an expert, right away start enjoying your system.

If you fall in other category like most of us here., I encourage experimenting PEQ route along with pre built calibration tools. I dont say they are bad, but we should agree they were bad for a long time. The experience you hear above from is a common thing with Audyssey. it takes out the punch for unknown reason.

I am recently studying this topic and working on two cool projects:

(1) making use of existing old multichannel amp, we know they are very good at amplification, most of the new mid level AVR's can never reach. But we are forced to move away from them because most of them do not have digital inputs. my experiment is to bring them back to life with latest digital formats if you have these old amps lying around gathering dust. may be this can be a step 1.1 towards going separates..

(2) Adding DSP's for each channel in between and condition the signal before the amplification stage using external DSP's. Again reusing existing gear without running out for new tech refresh.

I will try to post separate threads for each how it went if at all they are successful and i dont burn them all :p :D

There is no such thing as an ideal graph.
The rule of thumb however is to bring down the correction upper range to as low as 400 to 500 hz for the LCR, esp if you gave good quality speakers (i.e. usage only for bass management)

to leave it spread through the full range for surrounds and heights

and to bump the sub gain by 1 to 2 db if you think the end result lacks some punch (as you stated)
Yes, there is an ideal graph called reference curve. we use this in REW before computing the expected EQ. However, this is not a Bible, it is just a preferred curve derived by research and experience and you know this is almost the same curve they use in allllll recording :) .

Yes, there is an ideal graph called reference curve. we use this in REW before computing the expected EQ. However, this is not a Bible, it is just a preferred curve derived by research and experience and you know this is almost the same curve they use in allllll recording :) .
Which reference curve?
Harman? Diffuse field? Flat?
There is no end to that rabbit hole :)

The reason I always recommend cutting the corrections at just a little above the room schroeder frequency is this:
The speakers you got are likely to be aligned to your listening preferences (i.e. attuned to your preferred personal reference curve) ..
By compensating across the full range for a theoretical reference curve, the whole point of buying them is lost

Instead, limit the correction to say 350hz so that the room detrimental effects on bass (where it is most prominent) can be taken care of while the rest of the spectrum remains as-is

An AVR's life is roughly 3-5 years depending on how well we use them. Those who say feature-rich AVRs are worth it would have a heartbreak when it gets repaired and their only words would be oh god I should have bought a lesser priced bait and then graduated to this. Those who didn't would regret that they want to upgrade from day two having bought an entry level AVR. Like Satan says in Paradise lost "the mind is a place of its own and in itself can make a hell of heaven and a heaven of hell".

It's not a one time investment either. Every three to five years you have to feed the white elephant.
Very valid points. But like Satan says in Paradise lost "The mind is a place of its own and in itself can make hell of heaven, heaven of hell", the size matters if there is provision for it. The bigger the better. In my room TV due to space constraints or the lack of it thereof I cannot aim to go beyond the beyond. In my hall, a dining table is situated almost 20 feet from the 75" TV making it appear like a 40" TV at 10'. It is here that a solution is required and I don't think even an 85" TV can be satisfactory. Maybe in future a 100-120 " TV might find its way commercially available to public. Still a panel repair cannot be discounted and I don't want a Ganapathi mourya stunt show in logistics. A pj is just going to be easy on portability factor, but for its lack of progress in HDR technology and fact that in three years time the accumulated corpus of my target buy - a big sized OLED might be a retired technology like plasma did! So plan B is always a good 4k PJ and who knows they'd have made a technological breakthrough by then. In the end it will always be the road not taken.
This might be OT but I couldn't ignore the fact that you've twice incorrectly ascribed a popular quote to the Prince of Darkness. One of the greatest epics of English Literature, Paradise Lost, was written by the great John Milton - a poet of the English Renaissance !
I quote from Book 1,
"The mind is its own place, and in it self
Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.” Heaven abbreviated to Heav'n for the metrical necessity of one syllable.

This might be OT but I couldn't ignore the fact that you've twice incorrectly ascribed a popular quote to the Prince of Darkness. One of the greatest epics of English Literature, Paradise Lost, was written by the great John Milton - a poet of the English Renaissance !
I quote from Book 1,
"The mind is its own place, and in it self
Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.” Heaven abbreviated to Heav'n for the metrical necessity of one syllable.
Thanks for pointing out. I appologize for the inaccuracy as I merely paraphrased - I thought this is not an English literature forum. But good razor sharp observation! I redundantly quoted it twice (second mistake). Infact one of my sons keeps saying I am so redundant and cliched in my abilities or references or quotes that I should stop advising him!! He will turn 12 this may :D he has outgrown me in logical and critical reasoning in life already it seems.

You just proved him correct!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back