Is budget DAC really good vs Mid segment CDP ?

Any FM near Hydrabad hitech city area who can help me to get listening of CD player and DAC stuff.

Sure. Though I am not close to Hitech - Tellapur.

I don't have a CD-P.

Bring your CD-P, a ripped flac of that CD and you can compare the DAC in your CD-P with another deltasigma and Bimby.

I will be travelling so after the 15th ?

ciao
gr

Sure. Though I am not close to Hitech - Tellapur.

I don't have a CD-P.

Bring your CD-P, a ripped flac of that CD and you can compare the DAC in your CD-P with another deltasigma and Bimby.

I will be travelling so after the 15th ?

ciao
gr

Thanks Sound_Cycle for the help !
I will come with my CDP and check how DAC boost SQ. Also I bought 2 tracks from Saregama 1 HD format and 2 320 kbps. Can check the difference in SQ of both format (i.e. how HD sounds with DAC)

I will PM you meeting timings...
Thanks again

The timing of the music is equally affected by the transport as the DAC even if it has asynchronous clocking. This is the PRAT factor that people talk about.

@sudhirbhosale, what is the final outcome?

Hi Sam
Thanks for message. Direct comparison with DAC, CD player could not happen due to time mismatch. This took backend as ..... I though of resartign my passion of turntable and started working on tonearm :) Started building wooden turntable platter + exhaust valve of Bajaj auto (for bearing) , but experiment not successful :mad: I posted same in tuenrtable thread.

Now bought entry level turntable and trying to build quality tonearm over it. Not sure of results but enjoying experimenting due to below reasons ......

any rotating disc shape I see, I start to visualize if that can be used as turntable. Came across many such items I found can be used as platter since now a days simple items are machine made with great accuracy.

High end clock dial, full flat pans, separator pan of Panasonic rice cooker, wood chapatti maker made on turning machine etc are good for platter.

For wooden tonearm - fond plenty from premium wooden spoons, painting brush handle, flute, handicraft bamboo sticks, cane stick from furniturewala.

Taking help of local mechanic / fabrication shops. Some are insulting me by not seeing business but some are really helping me with interest when they saw that I am doing some research :)

Found high grade moving components from Broken hard disk .......

Would happy to post once I reach some milestone.....

If one have big CD collections then CDP is the way to go. But present scenario demands a nice DAC with all possible inputs due to it's versatility.

Hi All,

I have a similar dilemma about the DAC/CD player and Amp. Would a good DAC/CD player be able to perform to its peak with Analog out amplified by a AVR? Or a normal player with a digital output amplified by a good Amp like marantz PM6006 be a better performer.

Any thoughts? I am temped to buy Marantz CD6005 to use with my Denon 3312 (AVR) Or may be I can buy a PM6006 Integrated AMP & use with my bluray player for spinning the disc.

What would be a better sounding combination.

TIA
Ajay

Hi sound cycle...

Sorry to hijack the thread. But couldn't hold back after seeing Dirac live in your signature. How are you running it. Are you using a pc for the same or mini DSP. And what is your opinion of its effectiveness. IAM keen on using it as my next upgrade . Thanks.

Hi,

On pc.

I am a happy camper. The good part is that you can audition in your room on your rig for free. You will need a mic ofc.

Where in Hyderabad are you ?

Ciao
GR

Implementation of the DAC and allied circuitry makes a difference, not the DAC itself. Atleast, not all by itself.

I own a cd player but wonder if they are relevant anymore. An all digital solution centered around a DAC could be the future.

I would say get a DAC and be done with CDs. Just my viewpoint.

The timing of the music is equally affected by the transport as the DAC even if it has asynchronous clocking. This is the PRAT factor that people talk about.
Curious to know what is PRAT.
I recently checked usb asynchronous to schiit dac via 2 things. Android usb audio player pro , then when apple camera kit cable . I found some difference in the sound signature though both are usb asynchronous.

Though usb asynchronous sounds cleaner, better separation etc... it looses the 'warmth' and somehow i felt the optical is more organic.

Sent from Note5

whether dac or cd player is better is something that has got too many variables to give a definitive answer.

recently heard a dac costing 3 lacs which had lot of bells and whistles but ultimately did not give an enjoyable musical experience so nothing in this game is assured. everything depends on too many things

one more thing i find is this sampling rates is also mostly fooling like upscaling in display. if content is not native in that particular sample rate then no amount of upscaling or whatever is going to make it sound better, this is just my humble opinion
dsd is another wild goose chase but that is another topic for discussion

Dac and cd players serve entirely different purposes. Not a fair comparison. This is analogous to if AVR is better than Power Amp.

What are you trying to address in your quest at this time?

If you want to listen to CDs get a single box good CD player. If your preference is other forms of digital music get a DAC.

The quality you get out of dac is also dependent on a large extent on the source that feeds your dac which includes computer and its power supply, operating system, music playing software and usb receiver inside your dac.
I realized this after trying multiple options on my dac e.g. laptop with windows, daphile, rpi with runeaudio, volumio, moode, dietpi and now allo usbridge.
It keeps you occupied with playing with it all the time.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back