Is the voltage supplied by AVR sufficient to drive a sub ?

k_vijay12

I use Yamaha rx471 5.1. I am not able to get much output from my new mission ms450 sub. Are there any settings to improve this?

Using sub at 40-80hz cross over and 0 phase, 40-50% volume ...... sounds weak
Using sub at 100-120hz cross over and 0 phase, 40-50% volume ...... sounds decent- some boom effect
using at 120-150 hz cross over and 0 phase, 40-50% volume ...... sounds too bassy .. boom boom effect

Can you guys pls advice if this is settings issue at subwoofer or current supply from AVR to Sub?

Assuming you are plugging in the sub correctly - it is very unlikely to be the AVR, unless something is malfunctioning. The sub out of the receiver should be a standard, line-level variable output and should be more than enough to drive the sub.

I'd look at finding the right crossover frequency and placement.

I use Yamaha rx471 5.1. I am not able to get much output from my new mission ms450 sub. Are there any settings to improve this?

Using sub at 100-120hz cross over and 0 phase, 40-50% volume ...... sounds decent- some boom effect
using at 120-150 hz cross over and 0 phase, 40-50% volume ...... sounds too bassy .. boom boom effect

Can you guys pls advice if this is settings issue at subwoofer or current supply from AVR to Sub?
What kind of content are you testing with?

Check what is the level of the sub in the AVR. If it’s too low bump it up and see.

One more suggestion since I use a 475. Try setting the dynamic range to max (DRC off) Otherwise my Yamaha sounds too weak in movies.

What kind of content are you testing with?
Netflix, YouTube video songs

Unfortunately, my avr remote is dead due to battery leakage. Hence I m using tv remote through ARC, there is limitation to what I can set / adjust. Asked profx to send technician fr calibration. But not sure if he can do much with out a remote. Any idea where to source replacement remote? Couldn't find the same model in amazon.in , Flipkart. Not sure if other models wd work.

Btw profx asked 1500 fr home visit n calibration charges. Is this fair sum?

Check what is the level of the sub in the AVR. If it’s too low bump it up and see.
Not able to find the settings using buttons on avr. Remote is dead

One more suggestion since I use a 475. Try setting the dynamic range to max (DRC off) Otherwise my Yamaha sounds too weak in movies.
Can u help me how to do this using buttons on AVR? My remote is dead

Have you run auto calibration? If you have not, do it.
If you have run auto calibration, review the settings the receiver has made on its own. It does not get it right all the time. I have no idea how good or bad Yamaha's proprietary calibration system is.

A few things to do, if you do want to re run auto calibration.
  • Set your sub woofer volume level at the 2pm mark
  • Phase at Zero
  • Turn off any bass boost or extra bass functions on your AV receiver
  • Cross over level behind the sub woofer at what ever is the highest value (5pm mark)
  • Turn off auto stand by on the sub woofer
  • Turn off any economy mode or power saving functions if your receiver has such a thing
  • Ensure you have plugged in the sub woofer output from the av receiver to the specific LFE input behind the sub woofer
After running auto calibration, review what parameters the receiver has set. Make a note. Don't change anything.
Playback 5.1 channel content. Not from You Tube. Use Netflix or some other good source.
Make adjustments based on what you hear:

Is bass tone satisfactory? If not, play with the Phase knob behind the sub woofer. Spend time with this. There is no right or wrong here. Its down to how your room behaves.
Is sub woofer gain or volume to your desired level? If not, adjust on the receiver (not sub woofer)
Is there a smooth transition between the sub woofer and mains? If no, play with cross over settings on the receiver.

I don't know what what the low frequency drop off is for your KEF, or how low they go for bass. I assume around 40 to 45 Hz. When you review calibration settings, check what the receiver has set. I assume it will set the Q300's as small (Trial Large too), which is fine. Pay attention to the cross over frequency value the receiver has set. If the gap is too far from the what the KEF's are capable off, you will get bass bloat as the sub woofer is trying to do everything. Trial settings of 60hz and 80hz and listen.

Correct Sub woofer set up can be achieved with patience & time. It took me a week or longer the first time I introduced a sub woofer into my system. I now have a system where I can't even tell if there is a sub woofer present. I have prioritized the sound of my set up to behave well with music. Less so for movies. For the latter, I need to dial up the gain a fair bit as my sub woofer is small for the size of the room that it needs to fill.

Don't bother with a prof fx technician just yet. Borrow a remote if you can. As for a replacement remote, look for a similar one (new or used) from a similar generation or model of Yamaha, if you can't find the exact same one. In theory, it should work. Alternatively, take your receiver to pro fx or any other audio dealer who sells remotes and check if whatever universal remote they are selling allows you to go into the settings and then buy the remote, if it all works. A Logitech harmony is one that comes to mind but is expensive.

On a side note, download and print a copy of your receivers instruction manual. Most of us don't bother reading this. It has a wealth of information which is useful for those who are not familiar with all the parameters of their AV receiver.

Good luck

Last edited:
Marantz has smartphone apps to control the receiver. Yamaha receivers have an app too. Check it out.
This is actually a good suggestion. Only problem would be connecting this receiver to a network as it only supports Ethernet. But if you are able to set it up, then the remote app from Yamaha has almost all features that you have on the physical remote.

Link to the app.

Can u help me how to do this using buttons on AVR? My remote is dead
I don't think that it is possible to access the setup menu without the remote.

You must have used duracell batteries in the remote. I have lost quite a few remotes to duracell batteries. Just few weeks back I have brand new duracel batteries leaking inside the yet to be opened sealed package. The label says the batteries will last till 2030 if not used.

Yours is a yamaha. Connect your tv to the HDMI monitor out on the back. Use buttons on the front face to access the menu and increase the subwoofer output. I have a Yamaha AVR 667 (7.1) and I have used the front face buttons to access the menu. In fact everything that can be done on the remote can be done using buttons on the front face. Please refer to the printed user manual that came with your unit.

EDIT:
Regarding the remote, you can look for any yamaha avr remote and it should work. In Chennai there is a place called Ritchie Street where I have managed to get remote for most of my devices that had been spoiled by these duracell batteries. There were at least two shops that sold nothing but remotes. In Hyderabad too, there must be some shop that sells remotes.

Last edited:
This is old model, doesnt even have ethernet port.

Here is a link to Factory reset the AVR

Before you do, please download the Operating Manual for this AVR and read the content, I am sure there would be some information on how to do setup without remote.

When I used the RX V 440 almost 15+ years back, I was able to do a lot with the buttons on the panel, same with the remote. My remote got spoilt thanks to Duracell.

Alternative is to check and get a used remote which works.

Marantz has smartphone apps to control the receiver. Yamaha receivers have an app too. Check it out.
Unfortunately, the App on Marantz receivers cannot be used to calibrate. However, It's possible through the TV remote if HDMI CEC control is enabled.
Have you run auto calibration? If you have not, do it.
If you have run auto calibration, review the settings the receiver has made on its own. It does not get it right all the time. I have no idea how good or bad Yamaha's proprietary calibration system is.
I would not suggest autocalibration unless the subwoofer has been properly burnt in.
A few things to do, if you do want to re run auto calibration.
  • Set your sub woofer volume level at the 2pm mark
  • Phase at Zero
  • Turn off any bass boost or extra bass functions on your AV receiver
  • Cross over level behind the sub woofer at what ever is the highest value (5pm mark)
  • Turn off auto stand by on the sub woofer
  • Turn off any economy mode or power saving functions if your receiver has such a thing
  • Ensure you have plugged in the sub woofer output from the av receiver to the specific LFE input behind the sub woofer
Ideally, the crossover would be defeated when connecting from the LFE-out of the AVR to the LFE-in of the sub.
After running auto calibration, review what parameters the receiver has set. Make a note. Don't change anything.
Playback 5.1 channel content. Not from You Tube. Use Netflix or some other good source.
Make adjustments based on what you hear:
I'd suggest not to start with movies but rather music. This is because all of us have fav/reference tracks which we know very well to gauge whether the bass impact/heft/fullness is satisfactory. It's mighty difficult if you're not familiar with the content.

I believe @ssf can relate to this but many a time, I've found myself blissfully listening to content through my TV speakers never knowing that my stereo was not on till the moment something familiar came up for me to realise something was amiss 😅
Is bass tone satisfactory? If not, play with the Phase knob behind the sub woofer. Spend time with this. There is no right or wrong here. Its down to how your room behaves.
Is sub woofer gain or volume to your desired level? If not, adjust on the receiver (not sub woofer)
That's the thing with the MS450 (or any other sub for that matter). I had to turn it up almost to 70-80% right out of the box.

It took a good 20-30 hours for the driver to loosen up over which period, i constantly found myself reducing the gain. Now it resides at 35-40%.
Is there a smooth transition between the sub woofer and mains? If no, play with cross over settings on the receiver.

I don't know what what the low frequency drop off is for your KEF, or how low they go for bass. I assume around 40 to 45 Hz. When you review calibration settings, check what the receiver has set. I assume it will set the Q300's as small (Trial Large too), which is fine. Pay attention to the cross over frequency value the receiver has set. If the gap is too far from the what the KEF's are capable off, you will get bass bloat as the sub woofer is trying to do everything. Trial settings of 60hz and 80hz and listen.

Correct Sub woofer set up can be achieved with patience & time. It took me a week or longer the first time I introduced a sub woofer into my system. I now have a system where I can't even tell if there is a sub woofer present. I have prioritized the sound of my set up to behave well with music. Less so for movies. For the latter, I need to dial up the gain a fair bit as my sub woofer is small for the size of the room that it needs to fill.
That's so true! It took me a good 2 weeks to properly dial in my Rythmik E15HP2, even with measurements.

The goal is to get acceptable results at the first go and slowly tweak it over time to get that last bit dialled in.

Unfortunately, the App on Marantz receivers cannot be used to calibrate. However, It's possible through the TV remote if HDMI CEC control is enabled.

There are two apps for Marantz receivers.

1. Marantz AVR Remote
2. Marantz remote app

The Marantz ARV Remote app gives full access to the AVR including the setup menu. I have calibrated the Marantz many a times just using the app. Of course, I have to plug in the mic myself. hehe.

There are two apps for Marantz receivers.

1. Marantz AVR Remote
2. Marantz remote app

The Marantz ARV Remote app gives full access to the AVR including the setup menu. I have calibrated the Marantz many a times just using the app. Of course, I have to plug in the mic myself. hehe.
Whoa! That's news to me!

I too have the AVR remote app but can you calibrate in the first instance with it? I was under the impression that one could only manipulate the Audyssey settings but not perform the calibration itself. For that matter, my app does not display manual calibration options such as amp assign, speaker distance, speaker level, crossover, etc which are available under speakers>manual setup when accessed through the physical remote.

Am i missing something or is it because the AVR is the 6xxx series? :(

p.s. - they pushed an update on the app which allowed me to watch video from a different source while audio was playing from another. However, they promptly took it away, perhaps after realising that better features were not meant for the 6xxx series? 😅

I too have the AVR remote app but can you calibrate in the first instance with it? I was under the impression that one could only manipulate the Audyssey settings but not perform the calibration itself. For that matter, my app does not display manual calibration options such as amp assign, speaker distance, speaker level, crossover, etc which are available under speakers>manual setup when accessed through the physical remote.
Yes, all this can be done on the Marantz SR7010. The entire setup option can be accessed via the app. My remote does not work either. So, I am left with only two options, the Marantz AVR Remote or the buttons in front of the AVR which is a pain.

The Remote app does not support these functions. You have to use the Marantz AVR Remote.

Yes, all this can be done on the Marantz SR7010. The entire setup option can be accessed via the app. My remote does not work either. So, I am left with only two options, the Marantz AVR Remote or the buttons in front of the AVR which is a pain.

The Remote app does not support these functions. You have to use the Marantz AVR Remote.
I too was referring to the Marantz AVR remote. Mine does not support manual calibration over the app. It allows only gain adjust of individual speakers but not amp assign, speaker distance, speaker level, crossover, etc. and a bunch of the options available on the menu accessible through the physical remote are not available on the App! Am i doing something wrong here?

but not amp assign, speaker distance, speaker level, crossover, etc. and a bunch of the options available on the menu accessible through the physical remote are not available on the App! Am i doing something wrong here?
Some details of the app:

•Bug fixes

Notes:
*Please update the firmware via the system setup menu. (General > Firmware) If the App doesn't work properly, please try to reboot your mobile device, unplug the power cord of the main unit and reinsert into the power outlet or check your home network.
*Please set "Network Control" to "ON / Always ON" in your product via the system setup menu to use this app.

Control Application for latest Marantz Network AVR (from 2014 year)

Designed from the ground up for Android, the “Marantz AVR Remote” app for Android Phone and Tablet devices will give you an unprecedented level of command and control over the latest generation of Marantz network AV Receivers (due to hardware differences, older models are not supported with this app. Please check the model compatibility list below; if your model is not listed, please download our previous “Marantz Remote App”). A wide portfolio of useful features, nicely designed graphics and easy to operate user interface do make the app a useful tool to control your AVR.
Control the basic functions of your Marantz product with power, volume, input and settings. Have direct access to Smart Select and Surround Modes.
Network browsing is either done with the Marantz AVR Remote app or depending on model by selecting HEOS network as input which opens the HEOS app automatically.
With the Marantz AVR Remote, your Android device just became an integral part of your home entertainment experience.

"Because Music Matters"

Compatible Marantz Models (*1, *2)
2021 New Models
Network AV Pre-Amplifier AV8805A
2020 Models
Network AV Pre-Amplifier AV7706
Network AV Receiver: SR8015, SR7015, SR6015, SR5015, SR5015 DAB, NR1711
2019 Models
Network AV Receiver: SR6014, SR5014, NR1710, NR1510, NR1200
2018 New Models
Network AV Pre-Amplifier AV7705
Network AV Receiver: SR7013, SR6013, SR5013, NR1609. NR1509
2017 Models
AV Control Amplifier: AV8805, AV7704
AV Receiver: SR8012, SR7012, SR6012, SR5012, NR1608, NR1508
2016 Models
AV Control Amplifier: AV7703
AV Receiver: SR7011, SR6011, SR5011, NR1607
2015 Models
AV Control Amplifier: AV7702mkII
AV Receiver: SR7010, SR6010, SR5010, NR1606, NR1506
S2014 Models
AV Control Amplifier: AV8802A, AV8802
*Not compatible with Marantz models other than the above models. Please use Marantz Remote App for previous Marantz models which support App control.

Main feature:
•On the fly HEOS app switching for network browsing and control for HEOS built-in AVR and AVP
•ECO Mode setting
•Option settings (Sleep Tone, Channel Level etc.) and Selected Setup Features
•Marantz CD Control when your Marantz AVR is connected to Marantz CD Player with a remote cable
•Viewing User manuals
•Multi-Language Support

Notes:
*1: Please update the firmware via the system setup menu (General > Firmware). If the App doesn't work properly, please try to reboot your mobile device, unplug the power cord of the main unit and reinsert into the power outlet or check your home network.
*2: Please set "Network Control" to "ON" in your product via the system setup menu to use this app. (Network > Network Control)

Compatible Android devices:
• Android Smartphones or Tablets with Android OS ver.5.0(or higher)
• This application does not support smartphones in QVGA(320x240) and HVGA(480x320) resolution.

Confirmed Android devices:
Samsung Galaxy S10 (OS 11), Google (ASUS) Nexus 7 (2013) (OS 6.0.1), Google (HTC) Nexus 9 (OS 7.1.1), Google Pixel 2 (OS 9), Google Pixel 3 (OS 11), Google Pixel 6 (OS 12)
Caution:
We do not guarantee that this application works with all Android devices.

Some details of the app:

•Bug fixes

Notes:
*Please update the firmware via the system setup menu. (General > Firmware) If the App doesn't work properly, please try to reboot your mobile device, unplug the power cord of the main unit and reinsert into the power outlet or check your home network.
*Please set "Network Control" to "ON / Always ON" in your product via the system setup menu to use this app.

Control Application for latest Marantz Network AVR (from 2014 year)

Designed from the ground up for Android, the “Marantz AVR Remote” app for Android Phone and Tablet devices will give you an unprecedented level of command and control over the latest generation of Marantz network AV Receivers (due to hardware differences, older models are not supported with this app. Please check the model compatibility list below; if your model is not listed, please download our previous “Marantz Remote App”). A wide portfolio of useful features, nicely designed graphics and easy to operate user interface do make the app a useful tool to control your AVR.
Control the basic functions of your Marantz product with power, volume, input and settings. Have direct access to Smart Select and Surround Modes.
Network browsing is either done with the Marantz AVR Remote app or depending on model by selecting HEOS network as input which opens the HEOS app automatically.
With the Marantz AVR Remote, your Android device just became an integral part of your home entertainment experience.

"Because Music Matters"

Compatible Marantz Models (*1, *2)
2021 New Models
Network AV Pre-Amplifier AV8805A
2020 Models
Network AV Pre-Amplifier AV7706
Network AV Receiver: SR8015, SR7015, SR6015, SR5015, SR5015 DAB, NR1711
2019 Models
Network AV Receiver: SR6014, SR5014, NR1710, NR1510, NR1200
2018 New Models
Network AV Pre-Amplifier AV7705
Network AV Receiver: SR7013, SR6013, SR5013, NR1609. NR1509
2017 Models
AV Control Amplifier: AV8805, AV7704
AV Receiver: SR8012, SR7012, SR6012, SR5012, NR1608, NR1508
2016 Models
AV Control Amplifier: AV7703
AV Receiver: SR7011, SR6011, SR5011, NR1607
2015 Models
AV Control Amplifier: AV7702mkII
AV Receiver: SR7010, SR6010, SR5010, NR1606, NR1506
S2014 Models
AV Control Amplifier: AV8802A, AV8802
*Not compatible with Marantz models other than the above models. Please use Marantz Remote App for previous Marantz models which support App control.

Main feature:
•On the fly HEOS app switching for network browsing and control for HEOS built-in AVR and AVP
•ECO Mode setting
•Option settings (Sleep Tone, Channel Level etc.) and Selected Setup Features
•Marantz CD Control when your Marantz AVR is connected to Marantz CD Player with a remote cable
•Viewing User manuals
•Multi-Language Support

Notes:
*1: Please update the firmware via the system setup menu (General > Firmware). If the App doesn't work properly, please try to reboot your mobile device, unplug the power cord of the main unit and reinsert into the power outlet or check your home network.
*2: Please set "Network Control" to "ON" in your product via the system setup menu to use this app. (Network > Network Control)

Compatible Android devices:
• Android Smartphones or Tablets with Android OS ver.5.0(or higher)
• This application does not support smartphones in QVGA(320x240) and HVGA(480x320) resolution.

Confirmed Android devices:
Samsung Galaxy S10 (OS 11), Google (ASUS) Nexus 7 (2013) (OS 6.0.1), Google (HTC) Nexus 9 (OS 7.1.1), Google Pixel 2 (OS 9), Google Pixel 3 (OS 11), Google Pixel 6 (OS 12)
Caution:
We do not guarantee that this application works with all Android devices.
I just found it! 🤦‍♂️

I guess i just needed some extra goading!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back