J6300 vs LF6300 vs W800C : which 48" TV?

rav11stars

Hey guys,

This must've been debated and dealt with. But for my sake, can I have your advice/views please.

My primary requirement is to watch movies (Lord of the Rings sort of stuff). I checked out all of them in person and the reason for shortlisting these TVs:

Samsung 48J6300 - Looked the best in terms of picture quality, contrast and black levels.

LG 49LF6300 - previous experience with LG TV and their excellent service (that too matters, doesn't it :) ). The PQ was also ok and can be tweaked to make it look ok.

Sony 50W800C - PQ was okay. I'm not particular about 3D. TV doesn't come with glasses too!

What's confusing and why I need your advice : I solely relied on rtings.com reviews and they said that J6300 is an excellent panel, but has bad grey uniformity.
W800C received good reviews and has good grey uniformity too.

So does these really matter while watching movies? I've had good experience with LG's service. How is Samsung and Sony's service?
Any other inputs/advice?

Hi

Bottom line you have shortlisted 3 brands which appeal to you in performance, appearance, connectivity and of course budget....

Which ever TV offers best after sales service and better warranty is the one you should go for .....take your time and decide again...view the TV from all angels...remember you are checking these TVs in a showroom under special conditions and lighting.....you need to decide and view different channels to understand PQ and even SQ....connectivity options also play a major role....

SInce you are based in Pune, lot of festivals coming up so be on the lookout for discounts.....all the best

I have a 43'' LF6300 brought on Feb 2016. Picture quality and sound quality is good. I tested playing movies through the USB port of the TV ans all formats except H265 and Dolby Atmos plays and the experience is awesome. I also believe J6300 is good one. Plays almost any formats. W800C is an old model and I am sure it will be off the market by this year when SOny's new models come. You will get the smart remote also free with LF6300 which is quite a good one to use. Input and output wise also, LF6300 has all the required options.

Thank you guys @nipunkx I've finally decided and bought a LG 49LF6300. I made the payment yesterday evening and got the TV delivered by 10pm. It's a Sunday today; they tried arranging an engineer for the wall-mount but he didn't turn up.
I opened it and got it setup on the stand.

Interesting this is, I checked the usage hours and it reported the "total power on time" as 30 hours. Should I be concerned or is it ok?

thanks,
Ravi

Hi

Congrats on your purchase....30 hours already used could imply being tested and given to you or could be used as demo piece for a while (Exhibition).

Where did you purchase? Local dealer or online?

Better check on this......

Re: J6300 vs LF6300 vs W800C : 49LF6300 bought

Hi

Congrats on your purchase....30 hours already used could imply being tested and given to you or could be used as demo piece for a while (Exhibition).

Where did you purchase? Local dealer or online?

Better check on this......

Thanks for that. I purchased it at an LG authorised shoppe, Modern Electronics, Chinchwad. I got a sealed pack, with the manufacturing date being mentioned as 22 Mar 2016.
I wonder how much usage should a new TV show, zero hours? Do they reset to zero before sending it out of the factory?

I'm going to talk with the guys at the showroom today. I do not see any issues with the TV, so was thinking if I should be concerned. I'll update how it goes.

Re: J6300 vs LF6300 vs W800C : which 48" TV?

Ravi, though it might not be a demo piece, it could be have been returned by another customer. Please confront the store and ask them for a replacement.

Ravi, though it might not be a demo piece, it could be have been returned by another customer. Please confront the store and ask them for a replacement.

Thanks Nikhil. I've previously dealt with them five years back and was happy with their service. So I was a returning customer and they were quite happy that I went to them.
Is there a chance that they knew that this was used? I even mentioned to them that I'll check the usage hours. Could it be possible that they were not aware as it is shipped from the warehouse?

If you know someone at the store, you can take it up with him. I have seen salesmen bring out brand new TV to show to the customers in case a demo TV is not available or not working. I think the store should be aware since there is a lower chance of use at the warehouse. Check other components like remote, power cable etc for signs of use. Try your best to get the TV replaced from the store. Also test the TV thoroughly. If you dont find any fault, it could be just fine even if the store refuses to replace. You will anyways have full warranty in case something is wrong.

Oh and by the way congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy your TV.

Last edited:

If you know someone at the store, you can take it up with him. I have seen salesmen bring out brand new TV to show to the customers in case a demo TV is not available or not working. I think the store should be aware since there is a lower chance of use at the warehouse. Check other components like remote, power cable etc for signs of use. Try your best to get the TV replaced from the store. Also test the TV thoroughly. If you dont find any fault, it could be just fine even if the store refuses to replace. You will anyways have full warranty in case something is wrong.

Oh and by the way congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy your TV.

Thanks for the swift reply :) I'm sort of picky and maybe that's why these sort of issues follow me. All the other things in the pack are properly packed and sealed; they didn't show any sign of usage.
The LG Service Engineer is expected to come today. I'll check with him and the showroom as well. The TV also looked clean when I opened it; didn't show any signs of being used or handled.

Hi,
I got a 80 hours used LG 43LF6300 initially. I have wrote a detailed blog about it here:
http://consumer-nx.blogspot.in/?zx=49606b65d5b7afa4

It is for sure a used piece. If it is a new TV, it will have Zero hours displayed as usage. ALso did your TV stat up to the Web OS welcome screen? I am sure it did not. New once will start with the Web OS welcome screen with the penguin like bird taking you through the TV set up. Dont be fooled with the package, as the dealers can pack it back as if it is a new one. DO get it replace, as finally it will come down to the total usage hours in case of all LED TVs

Hi,
I got a 80 hours used LG 43LF6300 initially. I have wrote a detailed blog about it here:
http://consumer-nx.blogspot.in/?zx=49606b65d5b7afa4

It is for sure a used piece. If it is a new TV, it will have Zero hours displayed as usage. ALso did your TV stat up to the Web OS welcome screen? I am sure it did not. New once will start with the Web OS welcome screen with the penguin like bird taking you through the TV set up. Dont be fooled with the package, as the dealers can pack it back as if it is a new one. DO get it replace, as finally it will come down to the total usage hours in case of all LED TVs

Interestingly it started with the "welcome screen" :) The showroom is closed today. I'm trying to contact LG because the service engineer didn't attend for the wall mount yesterday. I'm thinking of asking him about the "usage hours" displayed.

Re: dealer gave 49LF6300 with 33 hours usage

Update : The LG service engineer came for the wall-mount and said he's not aware of the usage hours. Maybe he's playing safe. I called up the LG helpline twice and they gave conflicting views.

While one said that the usage might be reflecting the testing usage and fumbled when I questioned why they need ~30 hours. The other guy said the dealer must have used the TV for a short period.

Another doubt that came up was : what happens at the factory? Is there a reset button/menu they use to reset the usage hours? Anyone's got any idea?

Ideally a factory reset will reset you to the welcome screen and all the configurations to the default set up like the Picture mode, Sound mode, display resolution etc.. But it should not reset the total usage hours.
Did the service guy who came for wall mount register your TV? Are you able to access all the apps of your smart tv?

Ideally a factory reset will reset you to the welcome screen and all the configurations to the default set up like the Picture mode, Sound mode, display resolution etc.. But it should not reset the total usage hours.
Did the service guy who came for wall mount register your TV? Are you able to access all the apps of your smart tv?

Nope, he just did the wallmount. I called up the dealer and the discussion was interesting.
ME : Although Monday was a holiday, I left a message. You didn't even respond. Maybe the deal is done and so you didn't bother.

SA : arey, No Sir, not at all. I didn't notice.

ME : you sold me a demo or a customer-returned TV. The usage on the panel shows a 'total powered on time' of 33 hours.

SA : No Sir. You are a valued customer. If you remember I told you that there are no units in the warehouse and I have to book a unit for you. The unit that was delivered to you was a fresh one.

Regarding the usage hours, I earlier checked with the engineers during a factory visit. I was told that the new LED and OLED Tvs have to be switched on for a certain period to test them. I observed that the usage of OLEDs run upto 200 hours.

ME : I'm not convinced with this reasoning. I'm not happy.

SA : Sir, I assure you that it's a fresh unit. If you're not satisfied, I'll replace the unit.

----

Now, my question to all the experts is, do you think this is true? Do you all check the usage hours?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back