JBL Control One for ATMOS

I have JBL Control One as Top Middle position and that gives a good height effect even on upscale. I had Front height before and they were not very satisfying.

Ok - so it would appear a far better placement would be on the rear wall facing down toward the MLP
Time to order some wire I guess.

Installed today on rear wall near ceiling - so approx 4 feet above the rear surrounds.
Loving it!
Both ATMOS encoded and upmixed sound significantly more - how do I put this - 3 dimensional?

Installed today on rear wall near ceiling - so approx 4 feet above the rear surrounds.
Loving it!
Both ATMOS encoded and upmixed sound significantly more - how do I put this - 3 dimensional?
Ok.. I was waiting for your update! Can you point where you sourced the speakers from?

Loving it!

Hmm, wouldn't having them on ceiling slightly ahead of rear seating positions be a better position?

MaSh

Hmm, wouldn't having them on ceiling slightly ahead of rear seating positions be a better position?

MaSh
Possibly - but adding speakers to the ceiling in an already done up room would have been an aesthetic disaster (not for me but the powers that be!)
This position gives me 75% of that with 10% of the convincing/grovelling required for the alternative.

@superczar : Can you post some pics ? Did you use the safety wire that came with it ?

Do they go well with the rest of the speakers or do you feel some incoherence?
I have read that atleast the type of the driver material should be the same, if not the same lineup or the Manufacturer- to ensure that your speakers gel well...

@superczar : Can you post some pics ? Did you use the safety wire that came with it ?

Do they go well with the rest of the speakers or do you feel some incoherence?
I have read that atleast the type of the driver material should be the same, if not the same lineup or the Manufacturer- to ensure that your speakers gel well...
What you have read is not untrue but with a caveat.

1)Diminishing returns:
If your L/R speakers are not the same, it's a disaster - No one will or should ever do that
Your Center speakers should preferably be the same make as the L/R but you can get away with it if they aren't
Your surround speakers ideally should be the same but given surrounds are mostly for effect, most but the exceptionally golden-eared won't notice it
Your height speakers are entirely for effects and almost everyone will be fine with deviations

2) DRC algorithms
The reason why matching sets are advised is because different speakers have different frequency response curves
While algorithms like MultEq32 are not perfect, they still do a great job of identifying the tonal imbalances between speakers and applying the appropriate equalization adjustment on a per speaker basis to counter the same

More like 8K but on a diners card but effectively 5.5 after points/CB
In amazon it is showing 12k
Possibly - but adding speakers to the ceiling in an already done up room would have been an aesthetic disaster (not for me but the powers that be!)
This position gives me 75% of that with 10% of the convincing/grovelling required for the alternative.
Hi superczar ,

Can you pls share some photos of your Installation . I am also looking for an Cheap Atmos Speaker Setup .

Strange.. I got a quote of 8K from teh JBL dealer here in Delhi.. They are selling this at MRP? How weird..

Nonetheless, a worthwhile buy at 8K
I tested these as stereo speakers in another setup using KEF Q300s before mounting them and was quite pleased with what I heard.
Are they as detailed as the KEFs, No. Does it go anywhere deep into bass territory - No
But for a fifth of the asking price , they have a very clean sound and I don't think you need anything more than that from speakers meant only for transient effects

Strange.. I got a quote of 8K from teh JBL dealer here in Delhi.. They are selling this at MRP? How weird..

In amazon it is showing 12k

Hi superczar ,

Can you pls share some photos of your Installation . I am also looking for an Cheap Atmos Speaker Setup .

me too. have a pair wharfedale bookshelves doing duty as Front heights but many have said true atmos experience only comes with Top heights. have a false ceiling so cant hang those wharfedale bookshelves on it & limits the options. dont want to spend too much as its doesnt make sense for just a few effects where even a el-cheapo pair should do. was looking at indian made DNM audio which has some satellite speakers but couldnt find any reviews.

to OP, did you try any different placements and did they have any difference in effect ?

I have JBL Control One as Top Middle position and that gives a good height effect even on upscale. I had Front height before and they were not very satisfying.

can you please elaborate on what/how much difference you found between the 2 setups? were they same speakers?

me too. have a pair wharfedale bookshelves doing duty as Front heights but many have said true atmos experience only comes with Top heights. have a false ceiling so cant hang those wharfedale bookshelves on it & limits the options. dont want to spend too much as its doesnt make sense for just a few effects where even a el-cheapo pair should do. was looking at indian made DNM audio which has some satellite speakers but couldnt find any reviews.

to OP, did you try any different placements and did they have any difference in effect ?
I didn't
the ducting required to run the wires wasn't going down too well with her ladyship so I did not try stretch my luck any further.
Would a different placement improve the sound?
Maybe.
But unlike the fronts, experimenting with mounted speakers + running 8 position Audyssey each time is too much of a hassle and not worth the marginal improvement it will bring.

Was the whole hassle worth it - at the risk of assigning arbitrary subjective score, ATMOS encoded tracks have at least 50% better imaging - although not all of it is purely because of the speaker but the fact that these enabled ATMOS instead of vanilla 5.1!
Upmixed tracks e.g. YouTube videos- maybe 20% better!

All in all, certainly worth 8K and 2 hours of time -which was well spent doing something fun ( although my ribcage complained for 2 days given the drilling needed to be driven into a RCC beam. I so wish I had a SDS drill instead of a vanilla hammer drill)

Here are the final location images off the fronts, surrounds and ATMOS.

PS: In case you are wondering why the lights are acting odd, they aren't - they are simply replicating the screen color map in the 2nd and 3rd image
77f59b900297eefdfb1c806919fe65b3.jpg

ec5ab6d883fad8977862df6c2ec27e37.jpg

7512a75e4c1a909cc867f4c52802d009.jpg

I didn't
the ducting required to run the wires wasn't going down too well with her ladyship so I did not try stretch my luck any further.
Would a different placement improve the sound?
Maybe.
But unlike the fronts, experimenting with mounted speakers + running 8 position Audyssey each time is too much of a hassle and not worth the marginal improvement it will bring.

Was the whole hassle worth it - at the risk of assigning arbitrary subjective score, ATMOS encoded tracks have at least 50% better imaging - although not all of it is purely because of the speaker but the fact that these enabled ATMOS instead of vanilla 5.1!
Upmixed tracks e.g. YouTube videos- maybe 20% better!

All in all, certainly worth 8K and 2 hours of time -which was well spent doing something fun ( although my ribcage complained for 2 days given the drilling needed to be driven into a RCC beam. I so wish I had a SDS drill instead of a vanilla hammer drill)

Here are the final location images off the fronts, surrounds and ATMOS.

PS: In case you are wondering why the lights are acting odd, they aren't - they are simply replicating the screen color map in the 2nd and 3rd image
View attachment 36122

View attachment 36123

View attachment 36124
Based on the pics I assume the speakers can be mounted as top middle or top front on the ceiling. This will be much better why not considering ? I have installed a 3.2 kg speaker so jbl should be easily mounted.

Attachments

• 4CF6912D-4396-4B20-92E9-F7CE41C767B5.jpeg
    4CF6912D-4396-4B20-92E9-F7CE41C767B5.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 48
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back