Journey from Room to Home Theater with DIY Acoustics

Accoustics

The main problem is to get the right consultant for acoustics.

In my case during the making i had spoken to 2 dealers of audio and video equipment to avail the consultancy for acoustics but the kind of money they were asking was just too much and their behaviour was as though it was some rocket science and the worst was that they both had completely different views on how to get the acoustic done. These kind of disaster's i am well aware that many others have faced while doing the acoustic treatment.

In a another case some dealer had offered me to do the acoustic only if i bought the gadgets from him, and if this is not enough the condition was that he will supply the raw material like glass wool etc. The treatment which he had done on his walls in the showroom was quite shabby so i can imagine what kind of a end work he would have done for me. The game was simple, fleece money on gadgets and then take real excess money on the raw material for acoustics, and add a big fat bill for the consultancy charges.

The best thing is to help someone when one is in the initial stages of acoustic treatment rather then commenting at a stage when it is too late to rectify etc.

In Alok's case the damage may be much less then expected because the fabric which he has used is not transparent, in-fact it is quite thick and he is using risk management as keeping minimum glass items, using show pieces which can dual up for interiors and help the acoustic too, etc. Further more Alok is likely to leave no stone unturned to rectify some of the problems which he will face over acoustics.

In my Mini Theatre too there has been somewhat excess treatment but i have been able to control the damage which is based on lines per above. If the av receiver and speakers have to work harder then surely it will not shorten the life to a extent where we have to replace them. My system is running very well, it is already 5 years now. I was warned by the dealer that due to extra room treatment my gadgets would start getting spoilt sooner then later but luckily it was nothing short of factory for myths.

It goes without saying that Ashish is among the rare dealers who is a lot trust worthy, no wonder he enjoys such a goodwill on this forum.

To conclude i think the best and reliable help can be available from fellow members for acoustics or be it the making of a home theatre because there is no vested interest etc.

V.

From all the pictures which you have posted it seems like you are using the absorptions panels in the entire room, I am afraid that this outcome of yours will make your room dead and High Frequency of your speakers will get effected. Also one biggest disadvantage of a dead room is that the amplifier and speaker has to work harder to give the same SPL output which in the long run shortens the life of both.
Also a dead room doesn't sound very well with Music.

Alok,

Please advice by when will you oblige Manoj, me and others with the photo's and your views about the power of a dedicated home theatre that too with nothing less then a projector.

V

Sorry for the delay as I was busy.
Here are 2 pictures. MY lilit of 256 KB is complete so I am not able to upload more pictures.

One thing pending to put in the HT room are the recliners which I will put in a few months as soon as I get enough spare mobey for those!

2 movies on youtube too.
http://youtu.be/-EttiGK3EfU

Attachments

• Front Wall.jpg
    Front Wall.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 393
  • HTPC and AVR.jpg
    HTPC and AVR.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
Are Manoj bhaiya :) picture to abhou baaki hai. Tanik dhairya to rakho.
Alok: Whats up with the leds (underneath the stage), they look intermittently blinking?
Overall that should be a lively theater and certainly enjoyable. Congrats on your achievement.

Nice outcome Alok. Looking very good in the video. Please post some larger pics using Photobucket or Imageshack.

Please don't postpone your Recliner purchase too long, you may end up like me "living" with the sofa especially since there are so many other goodies to spend on :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are Manoj bhaiya :) picture to abhou baaki hai. Tanik dhairya to rakho.
Alok: Whats up with the leds (underneath the stage), they look intermittently blinking?
Overall that should be a lively theater and certainly enjoyable. Congrats on your achievement.

The LED underneath the stage are not the same distance from the bottom of the stage all through. Even a 2 mm difference causes the light to appear hidden at some places. I wanted it to appear hidden at all places but seems I did not do a good job at that.

I am now enjoying the movies soo much that I am not spending any time for correcting these things.

I was actually not planning to post more pictures as the movie shows all the details but if you things more pictures would be even beter than I will try to do so.

Nice outcome Alok. Looking very good in the video. Please post some larger pics using Photobucket or Imageshack.

Please don't postpone your Recliner purchase too long, you may end up like me "living" with the sofa especially since there are so many other goodies to spend on :)

I will definately get the recliners. I have already got the cloth material made for it and choosen the model too. I am getting it made from Saharanpur and will order it finally when I get time to visit Saharanpur. May be in June.

Here are some pictures:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.399374210093482.91053.100000627183354&type=1&l=68104ea415

Thanks,
Alok

Last edited:
Hi Alok,

very encouraging to see your efforts in acoustic treatment of your home theatre room. Even I'm inspired to do the same.

Can you please share the cost for doing the entire panel treatment for acoustics? or cost per sq feet...

What material have you used and from where did you purchase or you had it done through a contractor?

Thanks.

Hi Alok,

very encouraging to see your efforts in acoustic treatment of your home theatre room. Even I'm inspired to do the same.

Can you please share the cost for doing the entire panel treatment for acoustics? or cost per sq feet...

What material have you used and from where did you purchase or you had it done through a contractor?

Thanks.

Thanks Neo!
In my earlier posts I have all the treatment in detail and also explained the Costs etc. You can send me a private message if you need to talk to me on phone and I will send you my phone number and e-mail id.

Hi Alok,

Great thread. I am in the process of making my own small HT soon and have PMed you about it. I will possibly start a new thread and start everything from scratch for everyone's valuable inputs. Great thread once again.

I have made a small (but significant chnage in my Power supply). The UPS for by computer and projector were currently on the stablizer and I had a master power switch which when turned off turned off power in the whole HT room. (Except AC which has a seperate line and stablizer)

The problem with this setup was that I only turned on the master power when I came to the HT room and so the UPs never got charged. Actually the Computer UPS battery gave way due to this issue.

I have now put both the UPS on direct power and so they are always charged. These have thier seperate in built stablizer and surge protectors and so do not need a stablizer.

Also I would like to praise the Service of APC folks who replaced (and not repaired) my UPS with a brand new one!

Alokala,

Great job.

I missed this thread totally. But I am glad went thru it today in detail. DIY way is very in expensive and possibly the best way, with wealth of knowledge being shared among the internet community as well as in this forum it not so difficult to get done with.

Thanks
pandu

aloklala,

Im shifting to a new place in sector 93 noida, currently using a samsung 40 inch 3d led tv, wish to upgrade to a 3d projector in the new house.
can you plz tell me where you bought the Epson home cinema 3010 projector and what color did you use for ur fixed screen cloth ? also the price for both ?

thanks
Tushar

Last edited:
Tushar,

I got both the projector and screen material from US. You can check the latest price on amazon.com

I screen material is white blackout cloth, mounted on a wodden frame with canvas and foam benith it. If you are ready to get the screen constructed on your own then I can tell you the number of the carpenter I got it done from.

You can also visit my home and see the setup if you like.

Thanks,
Alok

Tushar,

I got both the projector and screen material from US. You can check the latest price on amazon.com

I screen material is white blackout cloth, mounted on a wodden frame with canvas and foam benith it. If you are ready to get the screen constructed on your own then I can tell you the number of the carpenter I got it done from.

You can also visit my home and see the setup if you like.

Thanks,
Alok
Hi Aloklala,
Im getting Epson TW6000 in india for 105000, i believe this is the same model thats sold in US Under the model no. 3010.
Also ive never really seen a DIY screen like uve used but im really inclined towards the idea of making one as its coming out to be really cheap:D .Do you by any chance know any place in delhi NCR whr i could find this screen material cloth?

And i would love to check out your home theatre setup in person. :clapping::clapping: pls let me knw how n wen i can do so. And the number of ur carpenter would be really helpfull as he has hands on with this kind of work aswell.
Also i was wondering how much space did u loose out in terms on the length and breadth of your room with the use of all the dampening and isolation layering ?

There are a few dealers who sell screen material but the cost at which they sell is pretty high and I was not convinced of the quality so I prefered to buy from US. You can get the details of the place I bought from in my thread. May be you can write him an e-mail and ask him if he will ship to India and also ask the cost including shipping. I think he does ship to India.

The carpenter's name is Rehmat and his phone number I will send you in a PM. I am available to meet on this weekend. But I will have to confirm that with my wife. I will send my phone number in a PM and you can call me to work on the timings.

I lost about 4-5 inches on each side of the wall due to all the insulation, cloth, frame etc.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back