Journey from Room to Home Theater with DIY Acoustics

WoW, cool room, lot of hard work involved.

From what I see from the pix, your entire room is stuffed with GW. Which makes the room dead. There are no qrd's or poly's in the room, which are essential.what was that huge roll of styro foam doing on floor?

Technically music or movies will not sound good at all.

It's a shabby acoustic work from your consultant.full immature, unprofessional work from his side.he has conned you about acoustics by insulating the whole room with GW as in cold storage.

You should not pay him his charges, until he corrects the room.

My advice as an engineer.

You can prove me wrong

Oak

Oak,

I consulted 8 proffesional Acoustic experts and all of them had different ways of doing the acoustic treatment and all of them were 4-5 times more expensive than what I spent and all of their ideas and designs were worse than mine. I also visited 4 proffesional studios done by "Experts" and they all were pathetic! That is what prompted me to go DIY way, which turned out to be much much better.

I contracted a normal carpenter and designed all of this from my knowledge of acoustics and help from people in this forum. I have studied a lot of books, papers and case studies on acoustics before doing this. I know you will not believe this but the acoustics are amazing. It is better than any movie hall in Delhi/Gurgaon/Noida which the "Experts" have designed and implemented.

I strongly believe you are misleading us on in this forum most probablybe due to some personal vendetta.

I Love my HT room! :yahoo:

Alok

Alok has put 2" glasswool on all the walls, and 1" foam on top. That's total 3 inches. Anyone with bit of reading on the acoustics will tell that it won't absorb everything and there will be some reflections still out there. That room is anything but dead.

But again - There is nothing wrong in making the entire room dead. There are people who actually prefer dead rooms. A dead room will take the room totally out of equation and will allow you to listen to just the speakers, no matter where you are. All the studio's are built that way. Since it absorbs all the reflections, your speakers need to be played loud and the amps needs to work harder. Top of that, we still want to absorb all the bass frequencies by putting abosorbers, and subwoofers need more power. So, we are overworking the amps anyways. I myself do not prefer total dead room, but there are people who prefer to listen that way. That does not mean that those people are wrong.

Also, I don't think acoustics is a rocket science. There is enough material on the web and forums to give the pointers and achieve the results. Ethan Winer's site alone provides so much information. A pro (if you find the right one) is peace of mind and does the work without our involvement. Some pro's also have their own opinions on how to implement the things. It's like speaker designs, crossover designs etc that there are different philosophies and ways to achieve results.

Friends, quoting the above post for above mentioned thread.

I had sent pm to mr.square wave and offered him a audition. He didn't respond.

I don't know why mr.santosh is curious to know my whereabouts, use words like dodge as if I owe him something or to any one else.

Friends you mean, that for every post we do, we need to post mandatory pix?

It's ones discretion to show of his setup.

Mr John, had sent me pm for the design, which I have obliged.

I will definitely not post any design on any forum, if any wants to see how my design looks are welcome to pm.

On final note, for those going for dedicated listening and ht rooms, suggestion would be to take help of a pro.

Oak

I dont understand why are you afraid of sharing your designs. This is forum where lot of people interact together, learn together and do lots of things together.

If you want to treat yourself of a professional then definately this is not the place you will be able to make money without divulging any of your details.

Have heard of Nelson Pass. He has published lots of Ampl/pre amp circuits which the DIY group uses. In fact in one of the interviews, Nelson Pass says lot of his business from the people who visit DIYAUDIO.com.

PM is not way I think

Thanks
Pandu

Hi Alok,
Your home theater looks great. Have you made any changes in the past year?

I am looking to build a fixed screen and all the designs that I see on the net that use staple guns dont seem like the best way of doing so. I think that we will end up with creases but I could be wrong.

Could you please share some details on how you made the screen?

I am thinking of getting one of the grey screens from Carl.

Thanks

Varun

Varun,
I got the screen built by my carpenter. There was a sofa repair man and carpenter working together. The sod repair people know how to tightly put the cloth.
You can send me a PM and I can let you know my phone number on which we can discuss this in detail. If you in NCR then I can come and help you.
Thanks,
Alok

Hi Alok,
Thanks. I am actually in Hyderabad.
I will call you and pick your brains if that is ok.

I am unable to figure out how to PM in this forum.
Maybe they haven't activated it for me yet.

Could you try to PM me if you don't mind?

Thanks

Varun

Varun,

When I try to PM you I get the message:
varunreddy212 has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

Please can you allow PM so that I can send you my phone number.

Thanks,
Alok

Hi Alok,
I isnt allowing me to pm either. I think that it is disabled for new users for a certain period maybe?

can you please email me at reddy (dot) varun (at) gmail (dot) (com)

Thanks

Varun

Unfortunately I have to leave my house permanently and so have to say bye to my loved HT room. But I will take all the equipment with me and will create a new HT and post on this thread.:sad:

Unfortunately I have to leave my house permanently and so have to say bye to my loved HT room. But I will take all the equipment with me and will create a new HT and post on this thread.:sad:

Thats sad. Best of luck and do keep posted on your new HT.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back