Journey from Room to Home Theater with DIY Acoustics

Hehe, yourself fell apart.. He quoted only the OP room, but I think he has opinion for all the rooms except his room;);)

Sir, any one who has seen a good HT room, will comment negative against this HT project. A good home theatre will not have all its sides cladding with GW

Opinion on my room, you must see it sir.

Oak

Sir, any one who has seen a good HT room, will comment negative against this HT project. A good home theatre will not have all its sides cladding with GW

Oak

Hey Oak,

Do you have any pictures / design details of your HT room to share?

-John.

Oak

Yep , i have seen some good and sensible HT rooms.. I agree with you completely cladded with GW will be an dead room;)

Originally Posted by santhosh Has anyone met Oakley? IMO said:
Buddy without knowing we should not tell, he is troll. I know lot of guys here are troll & time passers... Generally knowledgeable and intolerable guys will be trollers.;);)

Oak,

I did not know about bass band absorbers, please post pictures of your room with such absorbers so that many of us can raise queries and if it benefits the forum member's then it will be great. However you need to understand one thing clearly that it can never be a must that one should have these absorbers, everyone will have a different way to do up the acoustics.

So you continue to use harsh words like cold storage etc for no good reason whatsoever especially when you do not know full details about the making phase of my Mini Theater.

In general we are not here to probe the acoustics technical details because it is not our profession, all we can do is to identify the best ideas given by forum members for acoustic.

My benchmark of making my Mini Theater was that it should have good sound effects, picture quality, comfort sitting and interiors compared to a multiplex and i have achieved this by leaps and bounds and it is for these very reasons the visited forum member's, media and others have liked my movie room a lot without getting into the finer details of acoustics etc because if things were not done well then how come the room turned out to be so good in all respects? One of the forum member visited as recently as last week and he too was all praises.

To sum it up you have not seen or heard my theater and yet you say it is bad while others who have seen it and liked a lot but you say they are wrong in liking my theater.

To be a critic is extremely easy but to make a theater and show case is not easy by any standard.

V.

Am back Just checked your signature room, equally another cold storage:indifferent14:

In your room where are the bass band absorbers? Mind, it is not bass traps they both are different.

You are proud because it was covered by magazines and newspapers, media only knows to drool about things, do they know what art of acoustics is?
They only hear sound roaring so called coloured sub-w, can they distinguish between different frequencies.

Just because super moderator complimented your room doesn't make it a perfect acoustically transparent, may be his compliment was to general context of room.when we talk home theatre, main area of concentration is acoustic environment not aesthetics which is secondary.

On finale note to be more precise critic compliment, your room looks like yet another cold storage.:sad::sad::sad:

Last edited:
Oak,
You probably have a better system and better room. You probably know more about acoustics than we do. But that does not give you the right to rubbish other people's system/room.

I can understand if you don't want to reveal your identity, but if you can't even post pictures of your system or room, no point in us taking your posts seriously.... especially when your posts add no value and are only full of criticism of what others have done.

FMs,
This is not the first time Oakley has expressed his strong opinions and when asked about his whereabouts or pics, he tries to dodge:

See thread:
http://www.hifivision.com/amplifier...tic-portraits-new-swara-pre-power-amps-8.html

Dear Oak,
With all respect to you and all other members ... pls note this forum is meant for sharing ideas and to built some thing better with cumulative knowledge shared by all DIYers/ professionals. As we all know acoustics design is a vast subject and every bit of improvement comes lot constraints like Cost, availability of parts , Space etc etc... so our sincere request to you is to share some value added ideas which will definitely help us to build some thing better and sincerely request you not to point errors without solutions.

If you really have command on this subject then we all expect you to share some ideas.

tk cr.

Oak,
You probably have a better system and better room. You probably know more about acoustics than we do. But that does not give you the right to rubbish other people's system/room.

I can understand if you don't want to reveal your identity, but if you can't even post pictures of your system or room, no point in us taking your posts seriously.... especially when your posts add no value and are only full of criticism of what others have done.

FMs,
This is not the first time Oakley has expressed his strong opinions and when asked about his whereabouts or pics, he tries to dodge:

See thread:
http://www.hifivision.com/amplifier...tic-portraits-new-swara-pre-power-amps-8.html

In your room where are the bass band absorbers? Mind, it is not bass traps they both are different.

Are you referring to a helmholtz resonator. If so these are tuned traps rather than broad band traps. These will require calculation of offending frequencies and deployed to mitigate those frequencies. OTOH broad brand traps are easier to use as they will absorb broad frequency range and can be equally effective. So while helmholtz resonators are efficient traps, they are by no means the only way to treat room bass issues. Bass traps will also work.
Cheers,
Sid

Are you referring to a helmholtz resonator. If so these are tuned traps rather than broad band traps. These will require calculation of offending frequencies and deployed to mitigate those frequencies. OTOH broad brand traps are easier to use as they will absorb broad frequency range and can be equally effective. So while helmholtz resonators are efficient traps, they are by no means the only way to treat room bass issues. Bass traps will also work.
Cheers,
Sid

I believe he is talking about the normal bass traps with reflective surface to reflect the mid/high freqs (at the corners atleast 10-12" thickness which is required for the bass freq to trap till ~500-300Hz). These are the basic traps that are required in any room as the starting point.

Helmholz resonators / any other traps are for trapping specific freqs. Eventhough these are for specific freq, we can use it effectively for very low freqs w/o taking much space (unlike the normal traps. eg., 3ft for ~100Hz)

Last edited:
Oak,

FMs,

See thread:

Friends, quoting the above post for above mentioned thread.

I had sent pm to mr.square wave and offered him a audition. He didn't respond.

I don't know why mr.santosh is curious to know my whereabouts, use words like dodge as if I owe him something or to any one else.

Friends you mean, that for every post we do, we need to post mandatory pix?

It's ones discretion to show of his setup.

Mr John, had sent me pm for the design, which I have obliged.

I will definitely not post any design on any forum, if any wants to see how my design looks are welcome to pm.

On final note, for those going for dedicated listening and ht rooms, suggestion would be to take help of a pro.

Oak

Are you referring to a helmholtz resonator.
Sid

Mr.Sidvee.

Bass band absorbers, have membrane on both sides and there is a gap between wall to membrane and membrane.in a way you are right, they are are more precise and accurate.

Oak

Oak,

From where did you get the assumption that my all walls are cladded with glass wool? While that is a another story even if all walls are cladded then i think there could always be a way out to reduce over 75% of the damage if any.

A home theater's project does not merely go negative because of some glass wool issue, there are many other things by which a good home theater is made. In other words even if glass wool is placed correctly, still the project can go bad to a extent for other reasons.

V.

Oak

Last edited:
Friends,

I got a chance to look at the acoustic design of Oakley' theater room. To me it looks like a highly professional design. The design looks well thought through and has acoustic panels placed only at the necessary places in the room. It has got all the basic components like absorbers, diffusers and traps placed at the right places and not all over the room. Now I completely get what Oak meant by making a room completely "dead" by padding the room completely. Even I was told by a few of my audiophile friends in US and Jacob George from Rethm regarding making the room appropriately "live" rather than completely making them "dead" by padding it all around. Oak's design follows the above principle and the acoustic panels are placed based on calculating the reflection and reverberation caused by a 7.2 speaker setup.

Oak, please correct me if I wrote some blunders. The feedback I wrote is based on my limited knowledge on the acoustics :).

Thanks,
John.

Friends,

I got a chance to look at the acoustic design of Oakley' theater room. To me it looks like a highly professional design. The design looks well thought through and has acoustic panels placed only at the necessary places in the room. It has got all the basic components like absorbers, diffusers and traps placed at the right places and not all over the room. Now I completely get what Oak meant by making a room completely "dead" by padding the room completely. Even I was told by a few of my audiophile friends in US and Jacob George from Rethm regarding making the room appropriately "live" rather than completely making them "dead" by padding it all around. Oak's design follows the above principle and the acoustic panels are placed based on calculating the reflection and reverberation caused by a 7.2 speaker setup.

Oak, please correct me if I wrote some blunders. The feedback I wrote is based on my limited knowledge on the acoustics :).

Thanks,
John.

Based upon your comments, it appears that Mr Oakley is knowledgeable.

Wouldn't it be much better if he'd also be constructive in his criticism? ;)

He indeed is. So as others who are contributing to this thread :). Man I am learning a lots of stuff from this forum :clapping:

Oak, Could you please share the designs/pics of your HT room?

Also could you please post a link(s) regarding the Bass band absorbers, googling didnt help much.

Last edited:
Friends,

Thanks,
John.

He indeed is. So as others who are contributing to this thread :). Man I am learning a lots of stuff from this forum :clapping:

Thanks for the detailed post. We were able to visualise the HT through your eyes :)

Yes, there are many knowledgable members here and I have learnt a lot from all of them and this has helped me in my DIY. To me, you too are quite knowledgable as you have interpreted the design and understood what a professional had in mind :).

Based upon your comments, it appears that Mr Oakley is knowledgeable.
May not be him, but the professional who has done the room seems knowledgable (I have not seen the pic or design, but trust John's judgement).

The professional has plotted reflective points for a 7 channel system and treated it accordingly :clapping:. In a home theater, with multiple seats and multiple speakers (7 speakers in this case), one will be left with less than 20 percent of side walls which are not reflective points even if you take all the good seats in the room into consideration. This IMO is the reason why many people cover the entire wall (I have covered upto 4ft height) with absorbent material and this works well for HT. Some others use diffusors, helmholtz resonators etc but thats upto the enthusiast as to how far one wants to go.

Wouldn't it be much better if he'd also be constructive in his criticism? ;)
+1, constructive criticism is welcome and forum etiquette needs to be followed to participate in a discussion forum.

Friends, quoting the above post for above mentioned thread.

I had sent pm to mr.square wave and offered him a audition. He didn't respond.

I don't know why mr.santosh is curious to know my whereabouts, use words like dodge as if I owe him something or to any one else.

Friends you mean, that for every post we do, we need to post mandatory pix?

It's ones discretion to show of his setup.

Mr John, had sent me pm for the design, which I have obliged.

I will definitely not post any design on any forum, if any wants to see how my design looks are welcome to pm.
Oak, I am not interested in your co-ordinates nor in PMing you for details of your design. If you have a great Home Theater, good for you!! If you choose to criticise other people's system/room, be prepared to answer questions about your knowledge or regarding your identity. We are not interested in knowing who you are, just whether you are real. It is easy to google and type away using an anonymous handle. This forum has seen too many fakes, some even posted pics of systems that did not belong to them.

In God we trust, everyone else bring data :cool:

On final note, for those going for dedicated listening and ht rooms, suggestion would be to take help of a pro.

Oak
It is not easy but still very much DIYable if one has the interest to learn and execute it. There are plenty of resources available on the internet including HFV where people have done it. Some may choose to DIY, some others may hire a professional. Nothing wrong with either approaches.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back