Journey from Room to Home Theater with DIY Acoustics

Balcony

Alok,

If you take a part of the balcony, will it mean that you will have a bigger room length wise?

V.

I am planning to put the Equipment below the screen and plan to get a wooden rack built for it. Another thought which is still a 20% probability is to build it behind the room by taking a part of the balcony in the form of a window into the room. My wife is against this option so most probably it will not fly.

Glass Wool

Alok,

I have 4 inches glass wool (gw) on side walls till 3 feet height because of low frequencies and upwards is 2 inches gw.

V.

Manoj,
I am planning to have the 2" glasswool on all walls. Wouldn't they act as Absirbers or do we need something special for that?

Re: Balcony

Alok,

If you take a part of the balcony, will it mean that you will have a bigger room length wise?

V.

The balcony is only half the width of the room and so I can have a small cabinet protruding in it for my equipment but can't have it pulled into the HT room.

Last edited:
The carpenters started their work for the Acoustics today. :yahoo:
I have ordered components for my HTPC. All AMD stuff.
I have ordered blackout cloth for diy screen from Carls Place http://www.carlofet.com/diy-projector-screen-material/5x9-projector-screen-material.html.
I have also settled on UPS from APC. Full sine wave, offline UPS. http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=sua750i
Also got 6 pair of extra 3D glasses and batteries for those in addition to the 2 I got with the projector.
Will post pictures soon.

Last edited:
The carpenter's work is going on at a slow pace. Will try to post pictures tomorrow.

MEanwhile, one of my friends is an expert in Computer hardware and is helping me build my HTPC.

The components bought are:
1. AMD A8-3850 APU Quad-Core Processor
2. Gigabyte A75M-UD2H AMD Socket FM1 for AMD Llano CPU, HDMI, Dual Graphic Micro ATX Motherboard
3. G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
4. Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB Hard Drive
5. ASUS Black 12x Blu-ray Drive SATA Model
6. Case and Power Supply yet to be decided (Most probably SilverStone HTPC case)

Based on a lot of reviews and going through a lot of forums we have found that this configuration supports full HD 3D.

Builing 1080p 3D support HTPC for my dedicated HT room

I am in the process of building an HTPC for my dedicated HT room.

I want to support full HD 3D playback.

The components I bought are:
one of my friends is an expert in this field and is helping me build my HTPC.

The components are:
1. AMD A8-3850 APU Quad-Core Processor
2. Gigabyte A75M-UD2H AMD Socket FM1 for AMD Llano CPU, HDMI, Dual Graphic Micro ATX Motherboard
3. G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
4. Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB Hard Drive
5. ASUS Black 12x Blu-ray Drive SATA Model
6. Case and Power Supply yet to be decided (Most probably SilverStone HTPC case but need recommendations)
7. IR blaster (Need recommendations)
8. PC remote (Need recommendations)

Based on a lot of reviews and going through a lot of forums we have found that this configuration supports full HD 3D.

More details on my room are in the thread: http://www.hifivision.com/av-enhanc...-journey-room-home-theater-diy-acoustics.html

Any comments or recommendations would be helpful.

Re: Builing 1080p 3D support HTPC for my dedicated HT room

5. ASUS Black 12x Blu-ray Drive SATA Model:
You can also get Lg bluray drive(below Rs 5K) for much less than Asus

6. Case and Power Supply yet to be decided (Most probably SilverStone HTPC case but need recommendations):

Also consider cooler master, silverstone is way overpriced IMHO

Mandeep, There is something called quotes that you must use when you are replying to a post. Just don't repeat a post meaninglessly. VenkatCR

Last edited by a moderator:

aloklala, I don't see a graphics card in your configuration. Am I missing something? BTW I have merged your threads. There is no need to create a separate thread.

Cheers

Last edited:

aloklala, I don't see a graphics card in your configuration. Am I missing something? BTW I have merged your threads. There is no need to create a separate thread.

Cheers

@Venkat: I was thinking that people more interested and knowledgeable in HTPC stuff may not look at the Acoustics section and so repeated the HTPC part in that forum.

The motherboard is said to be having an integrated powerful Graphics capability which comibed with the graphics special processor I got seems to be enough to play 3D 1080p movies and give full audio formats that are required a high end 5.1 setup. I have planned to add a graphics card if this setup does not do the trick.

Glasswool - Double Up

Alok,

I have put glass wool on walls tightened with iron wires + wooden frames etc., and there after have put yellowish spunch followed finally by fabric.

I had visited many shops + malls spread over several months and found paintings + many other decorative items as per items in my signature photographs which have doubled up as diffusers + show pieces.

V.

@pupupuchi28: I was thinking of putting it behind a single cloth and not behind the wall. I will do some more research on the net regarding diffusers and then post my thoughts again.

In the meantime does anyone any good shop in NCR where I can buy useful diffusers which can also act as decoration pieces in my HT?

Last edited:
Glass Wool - Fabric - Halogen

Alok,

I will like to elobrate further that in my case i have covered glass wool with plywood. The plywood has several large round holes which are sized as per speakers and sub woofer cones. After the plywood i have put yellow spunch and then the fabric.

Once your fabric is in place how do you plan to stich it on the wall?

I think you should consider to reduce some glass wool because there will be scope of room getting extra deader.

Further please avoid halogen lights at least 7 feet from the screen.

Are you planning to put fabric on the ceiling too?

V.

Last edited:
I am not planning to put any halogen lights in the room.

I am putting another wodden frame (of Marandi wood which is stronger than canadian pine) on top of the glasswool wooden frame. Canvas will be tightened on this top frame. 1" thick, 32 Kg per cubic meter density foam will be put on top of this canvas and then the cloth will be tightened on top of it. This is the same way canvas, foam and fabric is put on a sofa. Also this work is actually being done by the same person who builds sofas.

This will then be nailed on top of the canadian pine frames.

I am planning to put fabric on the ceiling too. I am still not sure if I should put glasswool below the fabric on the roof also.

I am thinking of trying out how the room sounds with this arrangement. If it sounds too dead then I will put either 4 mm ply on top top 6 feet glasswool on the walls or put aluminium foil below the canvas on the top side of the front panels to prevent high and mid range frequescies from being totatally absorbed.

The electric wires and speaker wires are now in place in the HT room. Also the internal fitting of the AC is done. (Including the water outlet which was a little difficult as I wanted the AC water outlet in the bathroom drain)
The picture here shows one of the panels (A smaller one) from the back side. Also behind it and on the side are completed fabric panels.

Attachments

• HT11.jpg
    HT11.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 360
Vinay came to meet me and see the progress of my Home Theater yesterday. Thanks a lot Vinay! I learned a lot from you.
My HT room is almost ready now with fabrics all up on the walls and ceiling and also the screen is complete.
Final Electricity connections, Lights Automation and floor carpet are the things left before I put the AV Equipment in!!
The HTPC is also ready :)
Wow, It was a great experience.

Hi, one question about safety.

With so much wood and fabric, are you taking any steps to safeguard against fire? IMHO it would be wist to invest in automatic fire alarm since:

1. Significant amount of flammable materials
2. High amperage wires running through the same materials

E.g. if you are using power conditioning, transformer is those units can get really hot.

Also, please evaluate if it is feasible to cover cables in inflammable sheaths.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back