just a silly question?

manu4panjab

hello bros.

today i just watched english movie transformers 2 on our local multiplex which is

just open on 1st august its got two theatre in it with just 300 seats one is mehtab and the other is aftab (the name of theatres)

i watch movie in mehtab and maaaaaaan just mindblowing movie

my question is i'm sooooooooo much impressed with its audio quality (which i never hear in our previous local theaters) what kind of speakers and amplifier it uses i mean not by mehtab theatre but every theatre like imax(which is not here in jalandhar but heard so much about it)

no distortion at all even at super high volumes

i know its a silly question but this is my first time for such a great theatre

hello bros.

today i just watched english movie transformers 2 on our local multiplex which is

just open on 1st august its got two theatre in it with just 300 seats one is mehtab and the other is aftab (the name of theatres)

my question is i'm sooooooooo much impressed with its audio quality (which i never hear in our previous local theaters) what kind of speakers and amplifier it uses i mean not by mehtab theatre but every theatre like imax(which is not here in jalandhar but heard so much about it)

MEHTAB AND AFTAB ARE PROBABLY USING SOMETHING LIKE THIS-

Procella Audio speaker systems for Pro Audio, Cinema and Home Theatres)

hello bros.

MEHTAB AND AFTAB ARE PROBABLY USING SOMETHING LIKE THIS-

Procella Audio speaker systems for Pro Audio, Cinema and Home Theatres

Cinema halls generally have a 12.2 system or even higher. They are actually not playing at (very) high volumes but ensure that there are speakers near every viewer. For example, in the US, there are two side speakers for every two rows. In India, I think they use two side speakers for every 3 to 4 rows. Even behind the screen, there are a large number of speakers that do the same job as our one pair of L&R do.

Most decent cinema halls will settle for a SPL of about 100dB. This is 25% more than what your ears will be comfortable with.

The second thing to remember is that the acoustics of a cinema hall makes it completely dead Thus you will not have any reflections that could create distortions.

The speakers by themselves are capable of handling inputs of nearly 500 watts or more. Many of these speakers have horns to ensure long throw of sound. Many modern speakers are digital in nature. What this means is that they have the DAC and the amplifier built into the speakers for nearly every driver that they have. Thus the central processor has to just decode the signals and send it in digital form to the speakers without any amplification. If you take some 12 such speakers, we are talking about some 6000 watts of amplification in a hall.

There are many companies that make these speakers. In India we have Pulz. Internationally we have QSC, Yamaha and others.

The closest to such systems for home use is made by Meridian. A budgetary system from them for HT would cost around 50 lakhs.

Cinema halls generally have a 12.2 system or even higher. They are actually not playing at (very) high volumes but ensure that there are speakers near every viewer. For example, in the US, there are two side speakers for every two rows. In India, I think they use two side speakers for every 3 to 4 rows. Even behind the screen, there are a large number of speakers that do the same job as our one pair of L&R do.

Most decent cinema halls will settle for a SPL of about 100dB. This is 25% more than what your ears will be comfortable with.

The second thing to remember is that the acoustics of a cinema hall makes it completely dead Thus you will not have any reflections that could create distortions.

The speakers by themselves are capable of handling inputs of nearly 500 watts or more. Many of these speakers have horns to ensure long throw of sound. Many modern speakers are digital in nature. What this means is that they have the DAC and the amplifier built into the speakers for nearly every driver that they have. Thus the central processor has to just decode the signals and send it in digital form to the speakers without any amplification. If you take some 12 such speakers, we are talking about some 6000 watts of amplification in a hall.

There are many companies that make these speakers. In India we have Pulz. Internationally we have QSC, Yamaha and others.

The closest to such systems for home use is made by Meridian. A budgetary system from them for HT would cost around 50 lakhs.

thanks for info sir :)
as you said large number of speakers behind screen why they use such numbers of speakers do left ,centre and right not sufficient
so basically they don't play them super loud as i describe i want to know if they play them super load does there speakers too damage even if made by genuine companies
so they use horn loaded speakers just like klipsch right
as you said acoustically dead what this mean and does acoustic too help in solving distortion problem

and last but not least thanks for understanding my felling for audio i really appreciate your help :)

Last edited:
Manu, how about this from MK Sound?

mksystem.jpg

Not sure about the price or availability in India. May be you can write to them.

This baby on the other hand might be available but will set you back by quite an amount!

Art_1_Img_3.jpg

As you said large number of speakers behind screen why they use such numbers of speakers do left ,centre and right not sufficient

so basically they don't play them super loud as i describe i want to know if they play them super load does there speakers too damage even if made by genuine companies so they use horn loaded speakers just like klipsch right

as you said acoustically dead what this mean and does acoustic too help in solving distortion problem

and last but not least thanks for understanding my felling for audio i really appreciate your help :)

Manu you seem to be obsessed with amplitude (super loud ??). As has been said many times in this forum, if you listen to a SPL of more than 75dB on a continuous basis, you can go permanently deaf.

Music and, to a certain extent, even movies are to be listened to at meaningful volumes. To ensure that you hear every note and every instrument, the room is acoustically made to be dead. In other words, it stops sound from reflecting off the walls, and it does not allow external sound to come in. In a movie, for example, a distant whisper between two actors is supposed to be a distant whisper, not something like someone is shouting in your ear. Cinema hall owners, unfortunately, compensate for people talking and other extraneous noises by raising the volume beyond a reasonable level. A well done HT room is far better than a cinema hall as you have complete control over the room.

The reason for multiple speakers is to ensure that every viewer is sitting in a 5.1 sweet spot at a reasonable SPL level. Since you have something like 30 people sitting in a row, multiple speakers are used to create the L&R all viewers. This needs careful positioning and the capability of the speakers to be able to throw sound in a narrow beam so that there is no echoing.

Professional speakers have protection systems and do not get destroyed that easily.

Cheers

Manu you seem to be obsessed with amplitude (super loud ??). As has been said many times in this forum, if you listen to a SPL of more than 75dB on a continuous basis, you can go permanently deaf.

Music and, to a certain extent, even movies are to be listened to at meaningful volumes. To ensure that you hear every note and every instrument, the room is acoustically made to be dead. In other words, it stops sound from reflecting off the walls, and it does not allow external sound to come in. In a movie, for example, a distant whisper between two actors is supposed to be a distant whisper, not something like someone is shouting in your ear. Cinema hall owners, unfortunately, compensate for people talking and other extraneous noises by raising the volume beyond a reasonable level. A well done HT room is far better than a cinema hall as you have complete control over the room.

The reason for multiple speakers is to ensure that every viewer is sitting in a 5.1 sweet spot at a reasonable SPL level. Since you have something like 30 people sitting in a row, multiple speakers are used to create the L&R all viewers. This needs careful positioning and the capability of the speakers to be able to throw sound in a narrow beam so that there is no echoing.

Professional speakers have protection systems and do not get destroyed that easily.

Cheers

thanks for your reply sir

so can you please give me a rough estimate how much does a professional acoustic treatment installment for a room 12 feet wide 20 feet long and 10 feet high require

i have done some acoustic treatments in my room but its not enough so i guess its time now for some professional things.

one more silly question onkyo 606 has volume control from 0 to 77 so at how much level should i play it if i want something loud but at the protection of speakers level

i have just order new centre channel speaker polk cs 20 coz my older centr channel tweeter destroyed you can now even hear distortion at low volumes

i know its because of playing them at loud volume with older onkyo htib 5100 avr which destroyed my speaker am i right about that avr

please reply

Last edited:
so can you please give me a rough estimate how much does a professional acoustic treatment installment for a room 12 feet wide 20 feet long and 10 feet high require

Depending upon the material used and your carpenter, I would say roughly 300 to 500 Rupees a square feet.

one more silly question onkyo 606 has volume control from 0 to 77 so at how much level should i play it if i want something loud but at the protection of speakers level

On my Onkyo 875 I go to a max of about 30. So that should be alright for you. Ideally you need to measure with a SPL meter at your sitting position.

i have just order new centre channel speaker polk cs 20 coz my older centr channel tweeter destroyed you can now even hear distortion at low volumes

i know its because of playing them at loud volume with older onkyo htib 5100 avr which destroyed my speaker am i right about that avr

Quite possible if the AVR and speakers were mismatched. As I said before, since you seem to be struggling on a continuous basis and throwing money away, get some professional help. Maybe if you are ready to bear the charges, one of the senior members from Delhi can over for a few days and help you out.

Cheers

Depending upon the material used and your carpenter, I would say roughly 300 to 500 Rupees a square feet.

On my Onkyo 875 I go to a max of about 30. So that should be alright for you. Ideally you need to measure with a SPL meter at your sitting position.

Quite possible if the AVR and speakers were mismatched. As I said before, since you seem to be struggling on a continuous basis and throwing money away, get some professional help. Maybe if you are ready to bear the charges, one of the senior members from Delhi can over for a few days and help you out.

Cheers

thanks for all your support sir i highly appreciate it

just one last thing you said on onkyo 875 max about 30 is it between 0 to 77 or your avr only has max total volume 0 to 30

just one last thing you said on onkyo 875 max about 30 is it between 0 to 77 or your avr only has max total volume 0 to 30

I am sure it has more than 30, but I never bothered to check. 30 is roughly 30% percent of it's power or what may call the 11 'O' Clock position on a manual pot.

I use an SPL meter and ensure that, for most viewings, I never go beyond 60dB.

Cheers

I am sure it has more than 30, but I never bothered to check. 30 is roughly 30% percent of it's power or what may call the 11 'O' Clock position on a manual pot.

I use an SPL meter and ensure that, for most viewings, I never go beyond 60dB.

Cheers

thanks for all your support sir :)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back