Just bought Yamaha YHT-299

Hi Guy,

I want to sell my yamaha yht 299 due to financial problem
Bought it from Reliance Digital with 2 years extended warranty reliance resq.
1 year old but very less used not even opened 2 satellite speakers.
I m from Hyderabad, Interested friends may contact me 09949661545
Also refer your friends if anyone interseted..

Pls post in "FOR SALE" section, with some pictures and expected price, and other info like shipping and all that...

I have replaced my stock speakers of YHT 299 with Taga Harmony speaker system. Now what to do with the spare stock speakers now? Can it still be used with the same AVR HTR3066 if not can it be sold? Pl guide.

Yamaha YHT-299-Connecting Additional Surround Speakers

Hi Sandeep and all other gurus in this forum, I have been following your posts since day one and have been getting enriched tremendously in terms of knowledge and insights. Thanks a ton for the same.

I have recently 'upgraded' my speaker set up in YHT 299 keeping the Yamaha stock active sub and replaced the fronts, center and surround speakers with Taga Harmony 506 V.2 speakers (purchased from Hifi Mart). Now I have stock speakers of Yamaha of no use. I am thinking about connecting AT LEAST surround speakers of Yamaha to the amp ALONG WITH surround speakers of Taga. If that is possible what should be the speaker connection set up? In Series or in Parallel. Will it put more load to the amp and is there likelihood the same might damage the amp altogether or blow it up? Will connecting more speakers in the same channel improve the sound quality? Many questions in mind..sorry guys..

If possible Please help.

Re: Yamaha YHT-299-Connecting Additional Surround Speakers

I have recently 'upgraded' my speaker set up in YHT 299 keeping the Yamaha stock active sub and replaced the fronts, center and surround speakers with Taga Harmony 506 V.2 speakers (purchased from Hifi Mart). Now I have stock speakers of Yamaha of no use. I am thinking about connecting AT LEAST surround speakers of Yamaha to the amp ALONG WITH surround speakers of Taga. If that is possible what should be the speaker connection set up? In Series or in Parallel. Will it put more load to the amp and is there likelihood the same might damage the amp altogether or blow it up? Will connecting more speakers in the same channel improve the sound quality? Many questions in mind..sorry guys..

If possible Please help.
I would not suggest connecting additional speakers.

You could either sell them off to someone whose starting to build a home theatre or pick up a pre used receiver and setup a bedroom or study system.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

Last edited:
Hi, it will worsen the SQ rather than improving. Your plans will change the impedances straining the AVR. Further the panning effects will not be as intended if you artificially increase the channels. Not at all recommended. It's similar to listening to stereo in 5.1

Thanks a lot Mash & SGautam for your info. Withdrew from adding more speakers onto the existing ones and instead shall go for setting up a small separate audio system in the study room. Nice Idea!

hi, this yht does not have standby passthrough. what alternate do I have for this functionality? coz tv is also use by other family members who dont require always on home theater and happy with tv speakers.

hi, this yht does not have standby passthrough. what alternate do I have for this functionality? coz tv is also use by other family members who dont require always on home theater and happy with tv speakers.

You could try connecting the HDMI to your TV directly and the Audio to the receiver via an optical or coaxial digital input. When watching TV, Video and Audio comes via the HDMI. When using the Yamahe, mute the TV. Video will come via HDMI and Yamaha will get the signal via the digital input.

MaSh

Thanks Mash but the problem is that tv does not support digital output via optical when input is hdmi. It supports only on internal apps like netflix or dlna etc.. tv is samsung h6400. Moreover tv doesn't support dd+ (downgrade to core dd only)whereas the content on settop box is in dd+. What other options do I have?

Last edited:
Thanks Mash but the problem is that tv does not support digital output via optical when input is hdmi. It supports only on internal apps like netflix or dlna etc.. tv is samsung h6400. Moreover tv doesn't support dd+ (downgrade to core dd only)whereas the content on settop box is in dd+. What other options do I have?
Why do you want digital out from TV. Connect the digital out from your source such as set top box, etc.

MaSh

Hi All,

I am a newbie to this forum. I do not know much about the technicalities of home theaters but my old sony HT system has almost died and was giving a very bad distortion from the surround speakers. So, decided to go for a HT with proper AVR this time. Do not want commit the same mistake twice by butying commercial home theater again.

After going through the demo of various models I finally went ahead with Yamaha YHT-299 couple of weeks back :yahoo: I was really impressed with its sound quality in the demo and is very much with in my budget range.
I have also been through the demos of Onkyo 7.1 and Pioneer RS-33.
Pioneer was a good system especially music was really good in Pioneer. For movies, Yamaha and Onkyo were better for me.

I must say it was a very close call between Onkyo and Yamaha. Finally went with Yamaha since it has 4k pass through and supports a lot of sound formats as well. Also, found that the quality of HD movie channels in Yamaha system is much better than that of Onkyo's. When you play a blu ray dis then you will hardly notice any difference. If you are playing a proper 7.1 blu ray then Onkyo's performance is just out of this world. But Onkyo had a lot of wait time (more than a month). So finally went with Yamaha.

Unfortunately never been through this website before I did the purchase.
But still I must say I am extremely happy with the sound quality and I am enjoying every bit of it. Especially the sound coming from the HD channels which give 5.1 surround is just too good.

HTIB costed me about 37k, bought phillips Blu ray player for 3k and went for extended warranty for 2 more years for another 2k. All in all it cost me about 42k.

I use it mostly for the movies. Saw Dark knight Rises last night in my system and it was simply awesome experience.

Thanks,
Sandeep.

Hi, congrats :clapping: on you purchase. Enjoy you new Ht :)

Why do you want digital out from TV. Connect the digital out from your source such as set top box, etc.

MaSh

Sorry for delay in responding.. got super busy in office. To answer I don't mind connecting with tv or setup box directly but in both cases i m not getting dolby digital plus (dd+) which i know both coax or optical are not capable of outputting. So what alternative i m left with?

Sorry for delay in responding.. got super busy in office. To answer I don't mind connecting with tv or setup box directly but in both cases i m not getting dolby digital plus (dd+) which i know both coax or optical are not capable of outputting. So what alternative i m left with?
Why not connect the hdmi directly to your receiver? That should assure you of the best video and audio quality.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Why not connect the hdmi directly to your receiver? That should assure you of the best video and audio quality.

MaSh

Well that was my original question.. if I connect directly with receiver then tv will not get audio and it will cause problem to other family members as they r happy with tv audio and not enthusiastic abt receiver and sound quality. They need simplicity of just on and off the tv. Again to my question what alternative i have for this issue? Thanks for your inputs so far..

Well that was my original question.. if I connect directly with receiver then tv will not get audio and it will cause problem to other family members as they r happy with tv audio and not enthusiastic abt receiver and sound quality. They need simplicity of just on and off the tv. Again to my question what alternative i have for this issue? Thanks for your inputs so far..
Oh sorry, maybe I should go back and read the exact situation. Is there no hdmi pass through option in the receiver?

MaSh

Oh sorry, maybe I should go back and read the exact situation. Is there no hdmi pass through option in the receiver?

MaSh

I don't think so. I tried with standby mode but no luck.

Sorry friend allready sold..
My suggestion.. pls dont go for Yamaha product. They are worst at services.. I bought from Relaince Digital. But trust me i felt i have selected worst pruduct..

Sir, i had a very bad experience of yamaha product. worst at service. with in 6 month center speaker went down couple of time woofer had a problem. i bought from Rel. Digi. they promised to replace the unit ... i hardly used the unit for 3 to 4 months .. then sold it ..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back