Just bought Yamaha YHT-299

Hi Everyone,

I want to buy this. Within this month. Is anyone there from Chennai?

Is it better to go with local store or Online?

In Chennai, Reliance has for Rs. 37,990 .. Are there any better deals in Store?

In Online, Infibeam has for Rs.34,399 (after discount) ... Can I buy this?

@People bought from ebay, can I trust? Which seller do you recommend?

Thanks,
Siva

I have bought a YHT 299. Please recommend a DVD player to go along with YHT 299 with Bluetooth connectivity so that I can play music wirelessly from my Mobile.
Thanks for your recommendation in advance.

Hi Everyone,

I want to buy this. Within this month. Is anyone there from Chennai?

Is it better to go with local store or Online?

In Chennai, Reliance has for Rs. 37,990 .. Are there any better deals in Store?

In Online, Infibeam has for Rs.34,399 (after discount) ... Can I buy this?

@People bought from ebay, can I trust? Which seller do you recommend?

Thanks,
Siva

Update: I have ordered in Reliance Digital itself for Rs.37,990 .. Along with their additional warranty, it came for Rs.39782 .. They gave Philips Bluray player BDP2180 for free ... It costs around 6k.. Waiting for Installation :)

Congrats all who went in for YHT-299.

I was recently in market for my first HTiB. YHT-196 @26K.
Question: Is the YHT-299 worth spending Rs 9K more ? The only major difference seems the powered Active Sub.

How about Onkyo 3500 instead at a price of 30K ?

Recently i bought YHT-299, its clear & crisp. The bass is kind of decent, If you expect you need a heavy bass probably you can check onkyo 3500. I would recommend to audition both and go for the one which u like..

I had a Pioneer HTP-323, it has a manufacturing defect that it will produce a popping sound once in a minute or more frequently. But the bass is so smooth when compared to YHT-299, the size of the Pioneer subwoofer is big than YHT-299, IMO i cannot say YHT 299 bass is low..its decent.

Audition the models and decide.

Recently i bought YHT-299, its clear & crisp. The bass is kind of decent, If you expect you need a heavy bass probably you can check onkyo 3500. I would recommend to audition both and go for the one which u like..

I had a Pioneer HTP-323, it has a manufacturing defect that it will produce a popping sound once in a minute or more frequently. But the bass is so smooth when compared to YHT-299, the size of the Pioneer subwoofer is big than YHT-299, IMO i cannot say YHT 299 bass is low..its decent.

Hi PGY , Nice to hear this from you after coming out of your horible pioneer experience and start loving your new toy . Cheers

Congrats all who went in for YHT-299.

I was recently in market for my first HTiB. YHT-196 @26K.
Question: Is the YHT-299 worth spending Rs 9K more ? The only major difference seems the powered Active Sub.

How about Onkyo 3500 instead at a price of 30K ?

There are lot of differences between 299 and 196. To start the receiver is totally different. 299 receiver is the HTIB version of 375 which has got 5 start rating at WhatHifi. It can handle all the HD audio formats plus 4k pass too. You buy 299 just for receiver as it alone costs 30K+. You can easily upgrade your speakers to other powerful ones like Tannoy, Wharfdale etc.,

I strongly not recommend YHT196 as of now for 26K as it is not worth it. You can spend 3K more to get an Onkyo 3500 which is a lot better than that.

I will never ever go for pioneer as they hold good market only in Receivers. Their speakers are really shit. When coming to the bass, actually just thumping down your ears is not bass, it should immerse your senses into a theatrical experience.....all of the HTiB speakers aren't good to be frank. It is good that you got 299 which is far better and future proof. Try to get pack of 5.1 later when you got budget.

I will never ever go for pioneer as they hold good market only in Receivers. Their speakers are really shit. When coming to the bass, actually just thumping down your ears is not bass, it should immerse your senses into a theatrical experience.....all of the HTiB speakers aren't good to be frank. It is good that you got 299 which is far better and future proof. Try to get pack of 5.1 later when you got budget.
thanks darkavenger, Will think about upgrading in future..:)

Thanks Darkavenger, PGY. So, I am now clear about 2 things -
- YHT-196 is no longer worth due to YHT-299 coming into play -So, ruled out
- Onkyo 3500 has better bass than YHT-299, and maybe that is the reason I fell I liked the Onkyo more. But then, my brand consciousness awoke and I felt inclined to Yamaha. Stupid mind games :(
One of the advantages of the Yamaha 299 seems the ability to change speakers if need be, maybe not so in other variants. Would need to audition this one too.

Just for clarity sake, what does "version of 375" mean ?

Last edited:
- Onkyo 3500 has better bass than YHT-299, and maybe that is the reason I fell I liked the Onkyo more. But then, my brand consciousness awoke and I felt inclined to Yamaha. Stupid mind games :(
One of the advantages of the Yamaha 299 seems the ability to change speakers if need be, maybe not so in other variants. Would need to audition this one too.
If we upgrade to a good Subwoofer, you will get a better bass. Its in my list :)

Hi PGY,

Good to listen to this after you horror experience with reliance digital guys. I guess within the price range YHT 299 is probably one of the better buys in terms of HTIB. Did you use YPAO mic for Calibration?

Thanks,
Sandeep.

Hi PGY,

Good to listen to this after you horror experience with reliance digital guys. I guess within the price range YHT 299 is probably one of the better buys in terms of HTIB. Did you use YPAO mic for Calibration?

Thanks,
Sandeep.
Not yet sandeep,

Didnt use YPAO, Is there a way that you can tell me the DB settings for the all the speakers.. Am still exploring those options..it would be great if you give me that settings, ill change it and see :)

Just for clarity sake, what does "version of 375" mean ?

It is the yamaha receiver, below is the Whathifi Link

Yamaha RX-V375 review | Home cinema amplifiers | Reviews | What Hi-Fi?

Not yet sandeep,

Didnt use YPAO, Is there a way that you can tell me the DB settings for the all the speakers.. Am still exploring those options..it would be great if you give me that settings, ill change it and see :)

Sure PGY,
Here is the list of settings that I am using right now,

Speaker Configuration:

Subwoofer (Use)
Front (Small)
Center (Small)
Surround (Small)
Crossover (80Hz)
Subwoofer Phase (Normal)
Extra Bass (off)

When playing music I will usually set Extra Bass to On. I did try setting all the speakers to Large and Crossover frequency to 40 Hz. It did give me good results. But the subwoofer almost went mute. So, went back to old setting of Small and Crossover of 80Hz.

Level:
Front L 0db
Front R 0db
Center +5db
Surround L +4db
Surround R +4db
Subwoofer 0db

Especially when playing HD channels in DTH, the Center speaker volume is really low, the dialogues are hardly audible. So, I have increased its level. And I am a bit of a Surround sound freak. So, set the surrounds to +4db. I keep fiddling with these settings depending on the Source that I play.
Wehenever I play Dolby sources I use straight mode.

Thanks,
Sandeep.

Thanks sandeep..

I really appreciate it.. Extra Bass (off) is always off for me, am not getting an option to enable it.. :D. I was playing around with the db settings, its good :). Its way better than Pioneer and the AVR is fast in everything compared to pioneer. Lots of options too..

Thanks sandeep..

I really appreciate it.. Extra Bass (off) is always off for me, am not getting an option to enable it.. :D. I was playing around with the db settings, its good :). Its way better than Pioneer and the AVR is fast in everything compared to pioneer. Lots of options too..

Oh is it? For me, the right arrow beside enter button on the remote works to turn bass extra bass on / off.

Thanks,
Sandeep.

sandeep.bommakanti;605442 When playing music I will usually set Extra Bass to On. I did try setting all the speakers to Large and Crossover frequency to 40 Hz. It did give me good results. But the subwoofer almost went mute. So said:
Hi, you can set the crossover in the receiver,only when you set the speakers as small so the receiver would send the FQ less than your crossover settings to SW. If you set the speakers as Large then the SW would get only the LFE as per the source recordings. That is the reason you could not hear any sound from SW. Try the same settings for movies. You could hear the LFE output even when the speakers are set as Large.

Oh is it? For me, the right arrow beside enter button on the remote works to turn bass extra bass on / off.

Thanks,
Sandeep.
Hi Sandeep,

In the AVR, i dont see any Surround Sound Processing modes displayed in the AVR display Panel, all the time i see Cinema DSP. In Pioneer i used to see those modes changing automatically as per the input. If i connect Sat/cbl it will come to Dolby Digital automatically and when i play blu-ray movies again it changes automatically and it will come in the display. But in YHT-299 i dont see anything and i have to change it manually to see - Am i missing some setup ? pls help.

Hi Sandeep,

In the AVR, i dont see any Surround Sound Processing modes displayed in the AVR display Panel, all the time i see Cinema DSP. In Pioneer i used to see those modes changing automatically as per the input. If i connect Sat/cbl it will come to Dolby Digital automatically and when i play blu-ray movies again it changes automatically and it will come in the display. But in YHT-299 i dont see anything and i have to change it manually to see - Am i missing some setup ? pls help.

Hi PGY,

There will be a button called INFO just above the Movie button. You can use that button to change the display on the AVR. INFO / Audio Decoder will give you the Sourround Sound Processing Mode in the AVR display panel. It will automatically change depending on the source that you are playing.

Thanks,
Sandeep.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back