Just prevented a blunder, now please suggest (Bose Alternatives) !

First of all, thanks everyone for the suggestions ! I'll be answering individually.

Marantz Nr1501 AVR+Pioneer DV220+CA Sirocco package would be my suggestion.The whole thing would cost about Rs.70k, but would give you far better music and movies.
Titus

Will surely look into these options.

One of the better options available today is a Denon 1909 with a 5.1 speaker set from Q-Acoustics. This may go beyond your budget, but anything lower will mean a drastic reduction in quality of sound. The QA speakers will deliver a large soundstage with sound that sound impossible from speakers of that size. And the 1909 will decode all your HD audio as well as handle Blu-Ray requirements well.

In terms of receiver another option you can look for is Onkyo 607. Forget the Yamaha this year. An equivalent model from Marantz will be the 5004.

Cheers

Well, budget does seem to be a bottleneck. I told my dad he will get better performance at a lower price ! But I'll look into it and see if it works for us.

Damn! Seems my response vanished that i posted this morning, possibly posting via mobile had issues.

Anyhow. Lets do it again.

- Foremost i second Shaizada on the view point like other fellow members.

Do u think that will work for him, per his liking? If not then we can discuss at length.

I) Very wise of you to opt out of 5.1, for a room of that size, it will not be needed and also when preference is music. Going further you dont need a '.1' either ..i.e. The subwoofer. I have room of same size and i have bookshelf speakers only which are good enuf to make neighbors ring my door bell. So lets keep woofer aside and build a system w.r.t stereo setup which acts Wonderfully for movies too.

II) AVR
Marantz as a brand is known to be very musical. So makes sense that u invest in here observing your preferences. Pick any AVR like as u suggest SR 5003 or similar from Marantz series. For a room size of 12x12 that shall work just perfect.
I am avoiding Onkyo as a n option,as its known to heat up and also may deliver more bass than needed.
*Approx budget 20-25k

III) DVD Player
Pioneer DVD - 4k approx
Panasonic, Sony Blue Ray players - 12-25k
Absolutely your choice to pick what u like best.
*I suggest - Pioneer DVD

IV) CD PLAYER (optional)
You can add a decent CD player from Marantz if you shall listen more of music. The sound quality from a dedicated CD player will beat any dvd player by quite a margin.
*approx 16k

V) SPEAKERS
If you can resist then avoid Tower speakers which shall just clutter the room and opt for good quality bookshelf speakers to assist deliver quality music and sound while watching movies. (Dont worry, these bookshelves pack in sufficient Bass for this roomsize we have).

I have 11L2 from 'QUAD' ..which are great and had recently been picked as the value for money speakers out of quite a few speakers we auditioned at Delhi Hifi meet up. These should cost you about 28k-30 approx. Other options include bookshelf speakers from 'Wharfedale' which will have a few options on bookshelf speakers to enable you pick from.

You can talk to Denny of Bass and Treble, Dwarka. He has his hifigallery there. And if you are around, you are most welcome to listen the Quad11L2 at my home in Janakpuri.

For detailed pricing and more options to audition, you may talk to Denny on below listed details:

BASS & TREBLE
Denny - 9999016124

Cheers
Sid

Sidharth, that's one heck of a reply ! Thanks for all the pointers. And it does put my mind at ease knowing you have got a room with similar dimensions. I have started two threads :eek: , so you might ahve posted in the other one. What you have suggested seems appropriate, and I will give Danny a call before going over there.

I also strongly feel that your father should go for the Bose since the pros are but not the 321:

1)it is plug and play
2)Delivers better sound performance than comparable HTIBs
3) Your father may not have the time/inclination to set up the component based system optimally
4)You would be saved of those phone calls telling you that he is doing everything right but the sound is not there and you are to blame for that as you suggested this in the first place.
5) For the system suggested by you i feel that you are talking about the 321 system from Bose
6) If this is the case I would suggest a good stereo amp with a pair of bookshelves(because of size) and an DVD player /BD player with good audio ciruits which would be able to fit into your budget and give your better vfm than the bose as you would then enjoy the music and movies. Add a sub later to increase the thump during movies.

Oh, now I have really convinced him against Bose...I think he understands. And I will do all the setting up work for him. :)

12 x 12 (and guessing 10ft) ceiling.... Man! What a Lovely room....
The best of best sub will huf and hop!!!

Get the Bose - they'll just do fine in there with their 5.1 or even as some poster suggested 321 systems.

But If I were you, (I love challenges).... would have gone the In-Wall route...
I am not sure of the In-Wall route ( I am pretty sure I will be unable to do it neatly). :eek:

Re: First HT, budget ~60k

Thanks everyone ! I have asked the moderator to merge the two threads I have started.

@current thread: I have been looking into the suggestions made, each one seems ideal to me, but I am inclined towards what Sidharth has suggested. Will do a bit of reading & report back here. Cheers. :)

Re: First HT, budget ~60k

I would suggest look at the q acoustics package and the ca sirocco package both should give above par performance for their price.

In this budget of yours you could go in with Denon 1610 with either Q-Acousticss or Wharfedale Dm 10 Series BS based setup, another option is Defenitive Technologies which is very highly rated but due to lack of demo materials are often put aside in comparison with the other 2 brands I have mentioned.

One of my cars have a Bose audio system which was factory fitted, so i guess i cant complain about Bose that much.;)

Like many have suggested, an entry level receiver and speaker package from the many speakers available in India will be a very good option.

Second Sid Trehans reccs.
I've talked to Denny re this-do give him a call at the Mob no. in Sid's post.
Denny's a good dealer;has proper demo rooms,lots of patience & more knowledge than the run-of-the-mill dealers you find in Delhi.
BOL!

As per the request of the OP, another thread that he started asking the same initial question has been merged with this thread. There could be some duplicate posts, and I request members to edit their own posts if they see any duplicates.

Cheers

Hi,

I would recommend that you split your budget between a Denon receiver and a pair of bookshelf speakers right now, and add a pair of surround speakers and a sub-woofer later on. You can live without a dedicated center speaker in a small room.
So here is what I suggest:

Receiver
  • Denon AVR-1910
  • Yamaha 865

Speakers
  • Wharfedale Diamond 10.2(if you like them warm)
  • Monitor Audio BR2 (if you can afford)
  • MS Mezzo 2

Used speakers are as good as new ones. So do look for used ones from a higher series, even if they are not the latest models.

Thanks,
Sharad

I think your father will really enjoy some auditions. The experience is better than purchasing and listening at home ;)

Don't worry about complex setup. The dealer can setup everything. And you can get an universal remote. This universal remote can have programs to switch on all components, switch input, switch av1 av2 of your tv etc on a single click.

A nice dvd/ bdp with HDMI can become a source for both music and movies. I am not sure whether all receivers suggested here support audio over HDMI. So just verify. Another hdmi cable out of the AVR to the TV. Two cables and you are set.

Hello everyone, thanks for your replies !

I went to Bass 'n' Treble today, told Denny about Sidharth's recco, and this is what I tested:

Quad 11L2 (with & without focal sub), and Wharfdale 10.5. Just to be sure, also visited the Bose showroom and tested the 3-2-1 system.

Here's what i think (please correct me if am wrong):
Quad 11L2 - Warmer than the other two, but I felt like a sub is somewhat necessary.

Wharfedale 10.5- Loud. A sub could also help here.

Bose 3-2-1- Shrilly ! Loud ! But, of course it wins at the small size factor. But that's not a priority.

So, a Marantz Sr40003 + Pioneer DVD player + Quad 11L2 would cost me 62k. What do you folks feel about this ?

Haha review and the audition apart, the reason to call u over to home and audition the speakers installed was for the reason that room size being same, you can assess the kind of sound you shall get in your room.

And i still feel u dont need the sub but preferences cud differ here, since i am more onto music which doesnt need a thump but sufficient low fq presence. Do keep in mind there will be difference in sound what u heard there and in ur room.

Denny has a treated audition room, in our case Bed rooms will make the waves reflect off the wall, esp bass should be felt more.

Still if u are unsure, you are most welcome to drop in. But around weekend, since some woodwork has started in the room so hv dismantled the set today.

Cheers

On the contrary, do audition more of bookshelves, it cud help get a perspective. But remember ur budget w.r.t sound quality.

Wishes

Sure, thanks Sidharth & suri, will audition a few more speakers before taking the plunge. Can you folks suggest dealers for Infinity/Mourdant Short/Klipsch ? Rather, can you suggest which other bookshelf speakers to look for ?

Sidharth, I am really tempted to give your speakers a listen. If things work out fine, will notify you through pm , ok?

no, really, alcy - believe your ears - and i really think you should take up sidharth trehan's offer to listen in on his system.

and this thread might help? -

B&W 685 or QUAD 11L2 need help!

regds

Suri saab,
Only issue i feel could be in the output when our friend lends his ears to 11L2 at my place as i am driving 11L2 out of a pre-power. But i feel it shall still be a better bet than at an audition room still and give a near 'his room' experience.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back